Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

I Have Turned To the Dark Side- I Bid You All Farewell
Old 05-05-2006   #1
Rick Waldroup

I Have Turned To the Dark Side- I Bid You All Farewell

This may be the most painful thing I have ever written. After much hand wringing, sleepless nights, head bashing, I have decided to sell everything I own that is film related and go digital. Guys and gals, we are talking about Bessa rangefinders, other rangefinders, nice lenses, film, paper, darkroom equipment, just about every damn thing you can think of that is related to film- some of the stuff I've owned more than 25 years. I let my wife put the stuff up for sale on ebay and so far, to my dismay, the response has been overwhelming. The stuff is selling like hotcakes. I am so damn depressed, I won't even look at the auctions. My wife is handling that, not without a certain amount of glee, I must admit. And we are not through yet. Right now, there are 18 auctions up with more to come. Will the agony ever end?

I actually put an ad up here on the forum trying to trade my Bessas for a Contax G system in one last ditch effort to keep the digital demon away. My eyesight is failing- I thought maybe an autofocus system would be the trick. But I had no takers. I have owned a Nikon D2H for about a year and the more I kept playing with it, the more I liked it. It was like a mistress that you just can't give up. After no one took me up on my offer for the trade- I thought, hell, why not go all the way and make the change.

With the money I make off the ebay deals, I am buying another D2H body, a nice zoom, a really good film scanner, some software, lord knows where it will end. I have not been without a rangefinder camera in over 30 years. I am already starting to feel naked. So I am saying goodbye to this wonderful forum that I have been a member of for a couple of years. Here's looking at you, guys! Thanks for everything.

Last edited by Rick Waldroup : 05-05-2006 at 17:55.

Old 05-05-2006   #2
Fedzilla_Bob
man with cat

You need not bid us farewell, maybe just an adieu. There's always DSLRexchange. A few of us visit there.

Maybe it would be nice to build community there. Worth considering.

"Aufweitersehn, we'll meet again, Don't know how... Don't know when..."
I'm a goin fishing, yes I'm goin fishing
and my Baby goin fishing, too

Taj Mahall

My Gallery

Old 05-05-2006   #3
Rich Silfver
Batteries Not Included

Links to ebay auctions?

Blog.........................Gallery

Old 05-05-2006   #4
Rick Waldroup

Rich, I was afraid someone would ask for a link to the auctions. As I am not sure how to post a link- if you go to ebay- my wife's trading name is buyers-blvd. I hope that helps.

Old 05-05-2006   #5
back alley
IMAGES

well rick, i guess i'm both sorry about it but glad for you if this is what's best for you.
feel free to drop in and yes, there is dslr too.

joe

Last edited by back alley : 05-05-2006 at 18:15.

Old 05-05-2006   #6
MCTuomey

Hey, Rick, maybe keep just one or two of those RFs to feed your scanner ...

A digi shooter myself, film still enchants. You never know where a few years of all-digi use might lead you.

The best in your new adventure!

My Flickr

Old 05-05-2006   #7
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

Rick, we're photography pals, not gear pals. And if you've been a RFF member once, you're a member for life. So, it's not farewell, but see ya later!
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Old 05-05-2006   #8
erikhaugsby
killer of threads

Wow, and this is just as soon as a few of us (myself included) just dumped our DSLRs.
Have fun and shoot long.

Old 05-05-2006   #9
Rich Silfver
Batteries Not Included

Link to the auctions here

Blog.........................Gallery

Old 05-05-2006   #10
Nikon Bob
camera hunter & gatherer

Rick

You have to do what you have to do. Wishing you many more years of photographic enjoyment with the DSLRs.

Nikon Bob

Old 05-05-2006   #11
Rob
rangefinder camera magnet

Rick, I understand how you feel, I have not shot a piece of film in over a year now...Sold all my other film gear. Its opened another way of shooting for me that I could not get with film so I think I will stick with it...Good luck to you.

Old 05-05-2006   #12
ch1

You don't have to leave us, you know. You could stash all that auction $ away and then spend it on a Digital M this Fall.

This is RFF not Film Forum (even though I prefer film, I shoot digi (dslr and p&s) too).

Good luck - whatever you decide.

Old 05-05-2006   #13
erikhaugsby
killer of threads

Would you accept a BIN for that XA of yours?

Old 05-05-2006   #14
ErnestoJL

Rick.... by the way... did you think about an Epson RD-1??

Anyway, good luck !!

Ernesto

Old 05-05-2006   #15
ZeissFan

I was messing with a guy's D2H today. Nice camera, but entirely too heavy to carry around all day, hanging from your neck.

Old 05-05-2006   #16
amateriat
We're all light!

You know, one never knows.

As we all know (hopefully), it's not the gear, but ultimately what you do with it. That being said, I know a few serious shooters as friends who ditched film entirely for digital. I wasn't sure what to think, but I wished 'em well. After one year, one turned back around entirely to film, although he didn't regret his digital journey one bit; the other is doing the 50-50 thing now. (For what it's worth, both were, and are, heavy Leica users.)

- Barrett

"Print 'em both, kid." -
Frank "Cancie" Cancellare, to a UPI courier, after tossing a 20-exposure roll of film to him.

Here, a Gallery.

Old 05-05-2006   #17
ch1

Oh, BTW, you probably don't want to know this - but on eBay, a Seller can withdraw an item from bidding at any time prior to auction close for any reason whatsoever.

Old 05-05-2006   #18
goo0h

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateriat
After one year, one turned back around entirely to film....
This also happened to a friend. The flip back to film was so extreme that I must admit it startled me. He's now focusing on medium format.

Me on flickr.

Old 05-05-2006   #19
DougK
This space left blank

Good luck with your switch, Rick, and enjoy your shooting. Drop in from time to time to keep in touch.

Old 05-05-2006   #20
NIKON KIU
Did you say Nippon Kogaku

Thats all?
No Nikon Rangefinders???
You'll be back!
Kiu

Old 05-05-2006   #21
cp_ste.croix
At the beginning again.

hmmm that meter looks nice to me, how much are you expecting/looking for?

Old 05-05-2006   #22
ch1

Of course, the other thing is - not knowing (and not wanting to know) your financial situation - do you really HAVE to sell everything?

If not, box all the stuff up and stash is somewhere. Your house or even send it off to an out of town relative (hello, cousin Rick ).

See how much (if at all) you miss the gear in six months or so. If it is "out of sight, out of mind" sell it then. If you "miss" it - you will be glad you didn't sell it now!

Old 05-05-2006   #23
billwheeler

For inspiration, Rick, check out the street photography of jbuhler, a film photographer who for the past six months has photographed the passing scene with a small digital slr camera. Inspired and inspiring! Best wishes to you. Bill

www.jbuhler.com/index.html

Old 05-05-2006   #24
ch1

Here we go....outta here on this one!

Old 05-05-2006   #25
Andy K
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by copake_ham
Of course, the other thing is - not knowing (and not wanting to know) your financial situation - do you really HAVE to sell everything?

If not, box all the stuff up and stash is somewhere. Your house or even send it off to an out of town relative (hello, cousin Rick ).

See how much (if at all) you miss the gear in six months or so. If it is "out of sight, out of mind" sell it then. If you "miss" it - you will be glad you didn't sell it now!

This is sound advice. I have lost count of the times I have seen people say "I used to have X,Y and Z cameras but I sold them all when I went digital... I wish I still had some of them."

Old 05-06-2006   #26
ruben
-

I have catched this thread just now and I feel quite sorry. Not for comrade Rick turning digital, but for loosing what seems to be a fine fellow to have among us.
I am sure many others here feel like me and I ask myself if we can't do better by restraining ourselves a bit in whatever is concerned regarding the digital world. After all we all belong to the same family and the analogs have nothing to gain from isolating ourselves.
I am sure comrade Rick is saying farewell out of his hard feelings concerning leaving the analog side, where we are a strong reminder of its pleasures. Nevertheless digital has its pleasures too, which I would like to be updated about here, not in other forums.
This is not going to be the last migration, but if it turns to be the last member one outdoors, we then could feel quite confident about our forum status.
Cheers,
Ruben

Old 05-06-2006   #27
Socke

Rick, you'll be back

And if you don't intend to shoot sports 100% of the time, might I sugest keeping a rangefinder and buying a cheaper and lighter D70 to compliment your D2H?

Old 05-06-2006   #28
Andy K
-

I don't see the point in having two identical digital bodies? The reason film users have two or more bodies is so they can carry them loaded with different film stocks. This is not an issue with digital cameras.

Old 05-06-2006   #29
RML
Just live it.

Ruben, as a confirmed and convinced digitalist, I couldn't agree more. I too often get very veeeeery tired of all the scathing anti-digital remarks I have to endure reading. I know they're not against me personally but I feel hurt by them. I also know that many here shoot both film and digital, which is a reason why I wonder why we still put up with those anti-digital remarks. I for one deal with them in a simple fashion: I put repeat offenders on my ignore list, and I don't care who they are (newby or oldtimer). I, too, don't like to see others leave (for whatever reasons), especially when I realise that we're all here for the fun, right?

Join the Rangefinder Blog/Site Ring.

Old 05-06-2006   #30
sf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RML
Ruben, as a confirmed and convinced digitalist, I couldn't agree more. I too often get very veeeeery tired of all the scathing anti-digital remarks I have to endure reading. I know they're not against me personally but I feel hurt by them. I also know that many here shoot both film and digital, which is a reason why I wonder why we still put up with those anti-digital remarks. I for one deal with them in a simple fashion: I put repeat offenders on my ignore list, and I don't care who they are (newby or oldtimer). I, too, don't like to see others leave (for whatever reasons), especially when I realise that we're all here for the fun, right?

Digital has its merits. I like to put up an anti-digital facade for very personal reasons of passion only. Digital makes all the sense from a logical standpoint for heavy users. If I had infinite money, I would almost certainly be 100% digital. I'd own an Alpa (a nice 6x9 model) and a VERY big digital back. But, I don't, and for that kind of image quality, and to enjoy the mechanical workmanship and the glass. . .I have to stick to film.

RML, you're a brave person to stick to it here. Takes guts to be a digital purist in such a film-loving environment.

As for those who leave us in pursuit of digital. . . why leave? It's not like you're banned for setting your film equipment down. Now, you just have to stay around and tell us about the other side. We might be stubborn, we might pretend to be totally uninterested, but we're all really at least a little curious about the next evolutionary step in digital imaging technology.

Old 05-06-2006   #31
RML
Just live it.

Shutterflower, there's a fine line between being brave and being stupid. I guess I often don't know which I'm heading. Stupidity, most likely though. Simply too dumb to quit and leave, and loving you guys and gals.

Join the Rangefinder Blog/Site Ring.

Old 05-06-2006   #32
Creagerj
Incidental Artist

really, I actually changed my mind about getting a dslr just because I like rangefinder shooting so much. Not that I can affor a DSLR yet, but someday.

Old 05-06-2006   #33
Toby
On the alert

I started 'investing' digital gear at the beginning of the year. I like it but it's not really a replacement for film it's has it's own idiom and process. I need to get past the stage of spending hours on photoshop trying to make everything look like it was shot on film. But its a new chapter in my creative life and that's exciting and I hope it's exciting for you too

Old 05-06-2006   #34
RObert Budding

I'm not sure why so many people feel thay need to shoot either film or digital. I shoot both. DSLR's are great for shooting sports and fast-paced events. Digital just can't replace standing in the dark and rolling film onto a spool. Nor can digital provide the anticipation that I feel when I unroll freshly developed film and get the first glimpse of my photos. Or the hours spent under the glow of safe lights listing to music and printing.

Enjoy your DSLR. But keep at least one film camera . . .

"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan

Old 05-06-2006   #35
Rick Waldroup

Sorry I was not able to reply until now. Right after I posted this thread, my two small grandchildren came over and I became "Papa" for the rest of the evening. I want to say thank you to everyone who responded with such nice sentiments. To George, whose idea of sending some of the stuff to a relative to hold until I come to my senses- well George, believe it or not, I actually thought about that. But I decided that if I am going to do this- then it is full speed ahead!

To those of you who suggested that I keep at least one film camera, that too crossed my mind. In fact, my wife suggested the same thing- but once again I rejected that idea and thought to myself to make a clean break with film and head into this digital world with both feet forward.

In another life, I was a photojournalist for a few years from the mid 1970's to the very early 1980's. I worked for two different newspapers- one in Dallas and one in Miami. Back in those days, you did not make much money working for newspapers. Then I got married and a friend of mine got me into architectural photography and within a year I was making three times as much money as I ever did working for the papers. So for the next 25 years I made a living doing architectural photography.

In all these years, I always had a few rangefinder cameras for my own personal use. Then about a year ago- I suddenly decided that once again, I needed a change in my life. My kids were grown and gone, the pressure of raising a family was gone, and I was bored to tears with making a living as an architectural photographer. Also, right about this time my eyesight was starting to get worse and worse so that it was more difficult to focus my rangefinders like I used to. I knew that eventually I would probably have to go autofocus. And then, out of the blue, I decided to give photojournalism another whirl and a friend of mine told me that film was dead and I had to go digital if I was serious about this. He loaned me a D2H for a couple of days- and it was love at first sight. The camera reminded me of the Nikon F's and F2's I shot so many years ago- built like a tank, fast, I mean the camera fit me like a glove.

So, for the past 9 months or so, I've shot a few small assignments for my local paper- I live in a town of less than 10,000 about 50 miles outside of Dallas. I've done a few things here and there- and then I covered a few of the anti-war protests, shot the immigration march in Ft. Worth and decided to send some CDs out with some of my older work as well as the new stuff to dozens of news agencies in New York and Los Angeles and I actually got some interest from a couple of them.

So now, things have come full circle- or as my wife says, it is nothing more than a full blown mid-life crisis! As to why I want another D2H- well, I hate to change lenses. And if I am shooting an event, I want to shoot two cameras that are identical. In the last 9 months, learning to shoot a DSLR has not been a problem. The problem is learning the digital darkroom. That is where my biggest learning curve is. But the more I learn, the more I like- and one day, just a couple of weeks ago, I thought to myself- man if you are going to do it and go all the way with this- then get off the pot and do it. So here I am. I'll stop in every now and then and say hello. I've met some wonderful and helpful people on this forum. Thanks to everyone.

Last edited by Rick Waldroup : 05-06-2006 at 04:27.

Old 05-06-2006   #36
Simon Larbalestier

Rick
I wish you good luck and admire your honesty in expressing your reason to change from film to digital. Not an easy one especially when you have to sell it off on Ebay. At the end of the day it's what works for the photographer and how he or she expresses their vision which counts and having specific equipment be it film or digital can certainly help develop this vision - if the person feels comfortable with this choice.

I always seem to find myself at odds with technologcal developments within the photography world and the business of making a living out of it. I recently traded some equipment to streamline my equipment - now 3 x Leica M's, 4 lenses and 2 x 120 rangefinders - everything else has gone. Working in B/W seems crazy in the business sense when so many others are using colour and digital but i'm slow and like my long term projects allowing me to get close with my subjects and develop a mutual trust.

In saying all this Rick i'm recognising your need to simplify and follow a new route
just because you swapped your equipment over doesn't stop you from contributing on this forum it's the way one thinks and communicates that counts in my book not what equipment ones uses. We all like different things, we all see differently, so please stay and share your thoughts as you learn new things with you digital cameras. I will certainly read your posts despite my fixation with old technology.
Good Luck

Old 05-06-2006   #37
peter_n
~

Rick, the very best of luck to you! Please drop by to say hello every now and then, you never know...

Bill, thanks for posting that terrific link to Juan Buhler's work. Wonderful stuff!

My RFF Gallery

Old 05-06-2006   #38
gustav[] pEña
gustav[] pEña

I dumped my DSLRs. No way Im going back. When (rarely) I need digital I use my DIGILUZ 2. What I really use is a M4-P, canonet gIII and a Rollei 35 se.

What else do I need in life? well, maybe a m4, m2 and a M3.

gustav[]

Old 05-06-2006   #39
Rick Waldroup

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustav[] pEña
I dumped my DSLRs. No way Im going back. When (rarely) I need digital I use my DIGILUZ 2. What I really use is a M4-P, canonet gIII and a Rollei 35 se.

What else do I need in life? well, maybe a m4, m2 and a M3.

gustav[]
Gustav, I swear that, if in about a year from now, I feel like you and decide to return to film, I'm going to find the nearest bridge and jump off it. Heck, I won't have to worry about that, my wife will kill me! No, I feel that I've made the plunge and this is the Last Hurrah for me as far as photography goes.

Old 05-06-2006   #40
ywenz

Rick, go whatever works for you at the moment. You can always pick up a film body later. Those things are only gonna get cheaper in the future.