Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Other RF

Other RF Forum for the many Rangefinder cameras that do not have a dedicated RFF forum.

ricoh 500g: opinions?
Old 06-20-2006   #1
izo

ricoh 500g: opinions?

well, i was looking something more compact than my bulky yashica lynx, find this in some old camera market, i was tempted in some minolta too, but price was too much. this one has 40/2.8 lens, only 4 blades in aperture daipraghm, i guess bokeh wouldn't be that nice, hehe. have to find some battery but it is also full manual camera beside aperture automatics (Tv in "canon" terms).
got my first film in, we'll see what it does, i will post some scans..

anyways, what can i expect?

Old 06-20-2006   #2
Rich Silfver
Batteries Not Included

Looks like it's in excellent condition.

Here are some Ricoh 500G photos I found by searching the camera archive over at pbase: http://www.pbase.com/cameras/ricoh/500_g

Blog.........................Gallery

Old 06-20-2006   #3
Didier
"Deed"

I have a Ricoh 500 GX that I found on the auction site for less than 10 bucks, but usually prefer my Rollei XF35 (which costed 20 bucks) for the "compact" needs. The Ricoh's rangefinder spot is quite small, the eye must be in the exact middle of the viewer to see (and use) it. The same happens with most cheaper rangefinders but on the Ricoh it's extreme. The Rikenon lens is quite sharp stopped down, but can not be compared with the splendid 2.3/40 Sonnar of the Rollei.

I would not expect too much from this camera and lens, but as little companion for unexpected photographical occasions at daylight it's still OK. Don't forget you shoot the pictures not the camera.

Didier

Luigi case ("rally") with a R-D1s in it, a dust-catching M6, some german and japanese glass. And some evil stuff, too

Old 06-20-2006   #4
izo

yep, i know that, but i prefer sharp optics, and i was looking for rollei also, but i as far i know i know, it doesn't have paralax focusing. but also true, in deosn't matter much in that small viewfinder.
we'll see, i guess..

Old 06-20-2006   #5
Rich Silfver
Batteries Not Included

In case you need it. here is a manual for the camera: http://www.butkus.org/chinon/ricoh_5...0-g-splash.htm

and you may enjoy this site: http://www.geocities.com/minkyopa/500g/

Blog.........................Gallery

Old 06-20-2006   #6
izo

i have all this links, but thnx anway.

Old 06-20-2006   #7
Jocko
Off With The Pixies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier
I would not expect too much from this camera and lens, but as little companion for unexpected photographical occasions at daylight it's still OK. Don't forget you shoot the pictures not the camera.
With respect, I think that's a serious underestimation of a remarkably usable camera.

The quality of mine astonished me - http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ight=Ricoh+500

Izo, I think you'll be happy

Cheers, Ian

Gone to Croatan - and Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

My RFF Gallery

Old 06-20-2006   #8
HansDerHase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocko
With respect, I think that's a serious underestimation of a remarkably usable camera.
I can only second Jocko.

That's not only because this cute litte Ricoh was my "first love" that started my GAS. I still prefere it to almost all my other gear for its usability (except maybe the Vitos). It's small, solid, in very good condition and it's a simple design - I like that. Lens is good enough for all practical purpose (I even like the bokeh btw).

...AND... the meter works in manual mode! Not many of the CRF of the time can compete in that compartment ,-)
Auto: NikonL35AF, OlympusMyu2
Fix: Felica, BiloraStahlBox
Digital: CanonS1IS(RIP), Ricoh GX100, SonyDSCU20(RIP)
[/size]

Old 06-20-2006   #9
HansDerHase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier
..., but usually prefer my Rollei XF35 (which costed 20 bucks) for the "compact" needs...
I almost went for a Rollei XF 35 too, but then decided to stay away because t's a point-an-shoot ...er, except for th manual focus. that is... And it's supposed to be loaded with at most 400 ASA. No good when light gets low and/or the meter fails. On the other hand AFAIK it's got that sharp lens. Thats pretty much tessar for the bug :-)

So, Didier, if you say it's got a good viewfinder with a nice rangefinder patch maybe I should give it a try anyways.
[/size]

Last edited by HansDerHase : 06-20-2006 at 06:30.

Old 06-20-2006   #10
izo

cool, i know i could smell quality, when i see it, hehe. where did u find replacemnt battery, i'm not that good in judging light, hehe.

Old 06-20-2006   #11
Nexium

Hi izo! i fell in love for one of those too! As for the battery i use a cheap 1.5v LR44 you can find everywhere. It only lasts for a month or two but they really cheap, so...not a real problem! You´re welcome to my Ricoh 500G flickr group and share experiences with other users!

Old 06-20-2006   #12
izo

i think i bump in that group already while i was googling for g. saw some very nice pictures, if i remember correctly.
thnx for invetation.

Ricoh 500G: Nice cheap RF camera
Old 06-20-2006   #13
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Ricoh 500G: Nice cheap RF camera

The Ricoh 500G and its twin, the Sears 35|rf have some nice features -
compact size, sharp lens, auto and metered manual exposure, etc.
I have had several and each produced sharp, well-exposed photos.

This model was designed to use a 1.3V PX675 mercury battery.
Karl Bryan adapted mine to use 1.5V MS76/SR44 silver cells.

Perhaps after 30 years the rangefinder on yours needs cleaning;
I have never had any problem focusing mine...

"Excelsior, you fathead!"
-Chris-

Old 06-21-2006   #14
HansDerHase

Quote:
Originally Posted by izo
... only 4 blades in aperture daipraghm, i guess bokeh wouldn't be that nice, hehe ...
Here is my bokeh-test.

Ricoh 500G, f2.8, focus at 3 ft

...actually this was the very first picture i took with my Ricoh...
[/size]

Last edited by HansDerHase : 06-21-2006 at 00:37.

Old 06-21-2006   #15
izo

nice, bokeh is good, also contrast, but flower doesn't seems to be in focus. is that @ f/2.8?
anwyay, i buy some lr44 batteries (1.5v) today, and the thing works, yey! i have to check readings with my 300d, but it looks ok. one thing i noticed: it's always on, so it's draining battery. too bad that readings it's not only triggered when u half press the shutter button.

Old 06-21-2006   #16
HansDerHase

Quote:
Originally Posted by izo
... but flower doesn't seems to be in focus. is that @ f/2.8? ... one thing i noticed: it's always on, so it's draining battery. too bad that readings it's not only triggered when u half press the shutter button.
Yes. flower is out of focus. This was the first roll and the rangefinder was still slightly off. Wide open at closest focus distance has the least DOF. Acually about 8 cm in this case (CoC 0,03) so any error shows up easyly.

Of course the lens is also a little soft wide open.

The meter is only supposed to drain energy as long as there is a certain amount of light hitting the cell. Cover the cell with the lens-cap and the meter should be switches off.
[/size]

Last edited by HansDerHase : 06-21-2006 at 06:11.

Old 06-21-2006   #17
izo

yep, lens cap seems logical solution, i have it, so no probs. must shoot film out, hehe, can't wait for resoults. if theh'll be even near my yashica lynx (at least sharpness, which is very good even wide open at F/1.4), i'll be very happy man.
thnx again

Old 06-21-2006   #18
Rob
rangefinder camera magnet

I had a camera test from way back from maybe pop photo or something that tested the 500G against about 8 other similar cameras and they rated the 500g at or near the top for sharpness and color. I think the contenders were a canonet and a Konica too, so thats good company. Seems like I sent that camera test to Brian Sweeney with some cameras. I found it on the net so maybe can find it again.

More nice features on the 500G/35|rf
Old 06-21-2006   #19
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

More nice features on the 500G/35|rf

The "B" shutter speed setting turns off the meter.

BTW the lens on this model is multicoated, too.
I forgot to mention that in my previous post...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt : 06-21-2006 at 13:35.

Old 06-21-2006   #20
izo

cool, thnx chris

Old 06-22-2006   #21
Dirk
Privatier

I have a Ricoh 500G, plus a host of other 70's rangefinders/viewfinders. I like the camera. It's well made, sturdy and relatively small. The lens is good, but not as excellent as, for example, the 40mm/1.7 Rokkor in the Minolta Hi-Matic E, the 45mm/1.7 Yashinon of the GSN, or the 35mm/2.8 of the Minox 35GT. Those lenses are superb. But the lens quality of the Ricoh is adequate for nice, enlargeable shots. Its color rendition is especially nice.

P.S.: It looks great in chrome.

Last edited by Dirk : 06-22-2006 at 18:40.