Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

slow night, let's chat
Old 08-17-2005   #1
FrankS

slow night, let's chat

Not much happening right now but I feel like talking. I just developed 5 rolls of film from the last few weeks. Got some promising neg frames. Anyone else feeling chatty?

Maybe this could become a regular thread about nothing in particular, just conversation?

(Seinfeld: What, a show about nothing?)

photography makes me happy

Old 08-17-2005   #2
MP Guy
Just another face in the crowd

Well, the wife is in a strange mood, the kids are loud and I am tired. Besides that, I was out playing with my digital camera tonight and took these snapshots.

http://www.dslrexchange.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259

www.leicaimages.com
www.ZeissImages.com
www.l-mountimages.com

Developer of the RFF gallery Software and some other cool stuff.

Old 08-17-2005   #3
Terence T
Where'd my Bessa go?

I'm about to leave for work with a sandwich in my bag. How's that for nothing in particular?

V i s i t . M y . P h o t o . B l o g

E m a i l . M e ( N o . P M . P l e a s e )

Old 08-17-2005   #4
jlw
Rangefinder camera pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence T
I'm about to leave for work with a sandwich in my bag. How's that for nothing in particular?
I'm not familiar with the Sandwich. Is it 35mm or medium format? Does it take interchangeable lenses?

Old 08-17-2005   #5
back alley
IMAGES

well the sun came out today for about 40 minutes, otherwisw it's been raining for about 4 days.

my car was ready today, cost 1600 bucks for a new gas tank and some hoses.

got a few things in the mail.

that book 'bystander' is the size of a small telephone book.

i'm tired of working and just to wander the earth shooting pics.

and you?

Old 08-17-2005   #6
Terence T
Where'd my Bessa go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlw
I'm not familiar with the Sandwich. Is it 35mm or medium format? Does it take interchangeable lenses?
It's a collapsible, and judging by the looks of it squished between 2 heavy books, it has collapsed. In fact, it's a pancake. Heavy wear on the bottom, user condition. Make me an offer, I'm likely to take it whatever it is.

Old 08-17-2005   #7
richard_l

Shot I took with the Summicron 50 a few years ago. I had broken camp before sunrise and was all packed and ready to go. The hat is my genuine Tilley hat (brag). I unknowlingly left a shutter release cable around there somewhere. Never went back to retrieve it.

Old 08-17-2005   #8
bmattock

Working on the webpage for my KofC local council...trying to do it entire with XHTML 1.1 and CSS, no frames, no tables. I'm a glutton for punishment, I write code by hand.

http://www.kofc4660.org/test/index.html

I can always use an extra set of eyes, if anyone cares to look at my efforts thus far. I'm using Linux/Firefox, so I sometimes get blown out of the water by non-standards-compliant Internet Explorer. Any advice appreciated!

I browsed through a book this evening which I just got in the mail from Amazon today:

Legal Handbook for Photographers: The Rights and Liabilities of Making Images By Bert P. Krages, Esq.

A very good read - I learned a lot! Some of what I had been venting about recently with regard to photographer's rights was incorrect - but not by that much - and I mis-stated some things too. I'd recommend this $13.57 paperback for anyone. Has a good sample Model Release in it too. I looked at that book on legal forms for photographers at the local bookstore, but it didn't do anything for me and was way too expensive.

I also got this book:
Self-employed Tax Solutions : Quick, Simple, Money-Saving, Audit-Proof Tax and Recordkeeping Basics for the Independent Professional by June Walker, but I haven't cracked it open yet. I think I will claim a Schedule C business loss on my personal taxes this year - writing off my investments in DSLR and so on against what little I made writing and selling some photography services. I just want to know the ins and outs before filing, so gotta get ready now, eh?

Had a beer, kicked back and watched MythBusters blow stuff up while I wrote code - I'm also trying to teach myself PHP scripting so I can store news snippets in a MySQL db. Pure techno-geek, I know. Hey, I could say I was cleaning my guns...

Wrestled with the dogs a little bit, said "No!" about ten thousand times, and ate some pizza.

Had a discussion with a neighbor the other day - he asked me about getting prints made from his digital movie camera. I told him I'd be happy to check it out for him, but I doubted he'd get good still images from an inexpensive digital movie camera. He persisted, told me it cost a lot, and the movies looked good, so why couldn't he get good still photos? I dunno, do what you want, bub. Why ask me and then argue? You know what you want to do, go do it.

Real wild life, eh?

Well, last weekend, I busted out my neighbor's car window with my new electric lawn edger. Sigh.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Old 08-17-2005   #9
FrankS

Terence, that's perfect.

Jorge, I like your shots. Here is my feeling about digital: I am not earning a full-time wage with photography, so I can do what I want, what I love. When photography was invented, a bunch of painters said, "Great, this is much better than painting!" and switched to photography. Other painters continued painting regardless because that is what they loved to do. When digital photography came along, many traditional photographers said, "Great, this is much better than film-based photography!" and they switched to digital. Well, I am like those painters who continued on painting because that is what they loved to do.

Old 08-17-2005   #10
f/stopblues
photo loner

Good lord, that gas tank cost as much as my transmission that went out the other month! Much sympathy!

I've just discovered Google Earth and have been looking at satellite photos of all kinds of places, including the spot I camped at Hyalite Reservoir outside Bozeman, Montana, where I ate lunch next to the lake at Coeur D' Alene, Idaho, as well as my house, work, etc etc.. anything I could think of. Fun toy!

On another note, my binder with 90% of my 35mm negs from the last 3 years has just vanished.. I've combed this house, in every closet, under beds, everywhere I could possibly think of. I don't take the thing anywhere, so I'm soo confused! I'm officially in a panic

Chris

"Emotion or feeling is really the only thing about pictures I find interesting. Beyond that it is just a trick."
- Christopher Anderson, Magnum Photog

Old 08-17-2005   #11
f/stopblues
photo loner

Nice Frank.. I'm going to have to borrow that analogy sometime. I'll give you credit of course :-)

"Emotion or feeling is really the only thing about pictures I find interesting. Beyond that it is just a trick."
- Christopher Anderson, Magnum Photog

Old 08-17-2005   #12
Terence T
Where'd my Bessa go?

Bill, the page looks fine on Safari (Mac).

Old 08-17-2005   #13
bmattock

Quote:
Originally Posted by f/stopblues
Good lord, that gas tank cost as much as my transmission that went out the other month! Much sympathy!
Yeah, I filled up my Kia Sorento this morning - $45. That hurts, but not as bad as Joe's gas tank.

Quote:
I've just discovered Google Earth and have been looking at satellite photos of all kinds of places, including the spot I camped at Hyalite Reservoir outside Bozeman, Montana, where I ate lunch next to the lake at Coeur D' Alene, Idaho, as well as my house, work, etc etc.. anything I could think of. Fun toy!

On another note, my binder with 90% of my 35mm negs from the last 3 years has just vanished.. I've combed this house, in every closet, under beds, everywhere I could possibly think of. I don't take the thing anywhere, so I'm soo confused! I'm officially in a panic

Chris
I'm sure your negs will turn up, don't worry! Hope so, anyway! As to Google Earth - I didn't sign any model release, so I figure they owe me some dosh, baby.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Old 08-17-2005   #14
FrankS

This is good, thanks guys. A thread about anything/nothing in particular.

Joe, being able to just wander the earth taking photos, that would be the ultimate!

Old 08-17-2005   #15
back alley
IMAGES

bill,
the knights look good to my uneducated eye.
but this part is not lined up with the rest...
-providing funds for various projects, being active participants in our parish, and so on. -

i also think it's funny when people ask a question already knowing what they want to hear and then argue when they don't hear it.

joe

Old 08-17-2005   #16
egpj
50 Summilux is da DEVIL!

Hey Frank. I am traveling through California right now and enjoying every minute of the trip. Can not wait to develop what I have shot so far. But that has to wait until I get back to Florida on the 22nd.

Photographers work I am interested in: Jon Kral; HCB the portraits
Equipment I am using: 2 MP's an MP3 and some lenses

Gallery

My Homepage

Old 08-17-2005   #17
back alley
IMAGES

the tank itself wasn't too bad in price. but mazda had some parts that there were no aftermarket substitutions for and though small were priced exorbitantly.
and then labour...

Old 08-17-2005   #18
back alley
IMAGES

big news here - gas is now 102.9 A LITRE

Old 08-17-2005   #19
bmattock

Quote:
Originally Posted by backalley photo
bill,
the knights look good to my uneducated eye.
but this part is not lined up with the rest...
-providing funds for various projects, being active participants in our parish, and so on. -

i also think it's funny when people ask a question already knowing what they want to hear and then argue when they don't hear it.

joe
Joe, When you say that line looks funny, can you elucidate? What browser/OS you running? I appreciate any help!

Best,

Bill

Old 08-17-2005   #20
FrankS

The best vacation I ever had was when I was asked to drive a car from Florida to Toronto one summer. I stayed off the interstates, and just travelled north. I slept in the back seat most nights. Whenever I got to a town I'd look at a map to see where I was. I was able to do a side trip to New Orleans because I'd always wanted to see it. The whole trip took about 2 weeks. I rushed because I had a new girlfriend back in Canada (it was her parent's car).

Old 08-17-2005   #21
back alley
IMAGES

the last 2 lines have a different margin.

i thought the guy was funny.

internet explorer.
i faer changing to anything else.
i have a theory that bill gates knows when we are not using his software and he sends bad things to our computers to piss us off.

Old 08-17-2005   #22
back alley
IMAGES

my best travel holiday was riding my silver wing to new york and back.

oh man!

Old 08-17-2005   #23
XAos

Developed a roll of overexposed on purpose shots on the rb67. Trying to learn to overexpose without remorse - it's therapy. They're a little dark, but I dont think I overexposed by more than 2 stops (I added 3 to my calculated exposure in quite a few of them).

I did nearly drown my Stylus Epic tonight, had it in my pocket filling fire trucks (training). Someone shut down the wrong line, told me twice it was shut down even though I could feel it was still charged . kaWOOOOSH pond water everywhere. The lens seems to be clear but the viewfinder is foggy. I had a feeling they weren't thinking about the fire service when they called it splash proof.

Last edited by XAos : 08-17-2005 at 21:15.

Old 08-17-2005   #24
FrankS

I did do a couple of motorcycle trips, but never THAT far, and always in too much of a rush because I was leaving a wife and 2 kids at home. When to Tennesee once, and PEI another time (from Toronto).

Old 08-17-2005   #25
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattock

http://www.kofc4660.org/test/index.html

I browsed through a book this evening which I just got in the mail from Amazon today:

Legal Handbook for Photographers: The Rights and Liabilities of Making Images By Bert P. Krages, Esq.

Had a beer, kicked back and watched MythBusters blow stuff up while I wrote code

Wrestled with the dogs a little bit, said "No!" about ten thousand times, and ate some pizza.
Bill,
That sounds like a pretty good time to me! I can't have pets where I'm living and I do miss having a dog around
Can't change my living situation for a while but I will when I can. And then off to the SPCA to find me a new friend.
Gonna get my local booktsore to order that book for me.
Mythbusters is one of my favorite shows! I found a new one you might like:
Master Blasters--2 teams each build a rocket powered something(different challenges each week) and then launch 'em to see which team answered the challenge better. And I thought those Estes rockets I used to build were cool.
The website looked good to me but I'm using Firefox so I didn't expect any surprises there.
Rob

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Old 08-17-2005   #26
back alley
IMAGES

my first bike was a suzuki 400 gs.
i bought it, rode to the airport (just outside of town) for a coffee.

that was the warm up - i then rode to victoria where i had a lovely little lady stashed away.
i used to love riding.

Old 08-17-2005   #27
glenbarn
RF Curmudgeon

It's a hot night in Baton Rouge and just gave my brother a digital camera - an Olympus Camedia something or other - for his birthday. He doesn't understand why I don't have one. My family doesn't understand why I just bought my 8th or 9th rangefinder (Canonet QL 17) or why I keep buying film and processing.
I love photography and I suppose I have a comfortable fondness for loading 35mm and 120 rolls of film. I know all the rationales for digital and it's evident that it's the future if not the present. I don't care. It's what I've gotten excited over since the mid 60s and it's what I'll enjoy doing for as long as I'm able.

Anyway, that's what I'm thinking on this hot Baton Rouge night.

Old 08-17-2005   #28
ChrisN
Striving

Quote:

Damn - that's cheap! Wish I could get it for that. I'm now paying about $1.20 a litre, somes a bit more.

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 08-17-2005   #29
bmattock

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS
The best vacation I ever had was when I was asked to drive a car from Florida to Toronto one summer. I stayed off the interstates, and just travelled north. I slept in the back seat most nights. Whenever I got to a town I'd look at a map to see where I was. I was able to do a side trip to New Orleans because I'd always wanted to see it. The whole trip took about 2 weeks. I rushed because I had a new girlfriend back in Canada (it was her parent's car).
When I was single and in my mid twenties, just out of the Corps, I used to take my vacation and get get in my old Toyota pickup truck and start driving. I'd throw a sleeping bag and a cooler in the back, grab my 44 mag for self-defense (never needed it) and head out into the Colorado Rockies for two weeks. Those vacations were the best I ever had. I wish I'd been a photographer then - I saw things that you would not believe.

Steam coming off elks' bodies in the early mountain winters of the high country as they stole feed from the horse trough and the horses ignored the big interlopers. Bacon and egg breakfasts at dirty little diners that smelled good enough that you'd swear you could live off the odor alone, and fresh maple syrup that would make you cry, just a little. A hawk swinging low over your truck and keeping pace as you got closer and closer to Mesa Verde and Gordon Lightfoot on the radio singing "Sumertime Dream" (schmaltzy but true) and sleeping in fields in Mexican Water, Arizona and waking up surrounded by tipis - everyone going about their business but ignoring you politely while you got the hell of their sacred lands. Seeing more stars from the bed of your truck staring straight up than you ever saw at one time in your life before - you'd swear it was a different sky you were looking at. Driving past the deserted 'company town' of Uravan, Colorado, where all the workers brought uranium out of the ground for our national defense and then all died of radiation sickness and were ignored by the courts and the people they died for and thinking about what justice really means in a country like that anyway. Seeing the cliff dwellings at Mesa Verde and wondering how anyone could call native Americans 'primitive' after seeing that.

I know, I know - I could have just gone to Vegas and pulled a shiny metal handle for a few days. What's the matter with me, anyways?

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Old 08-17-2005   #30
back alley
IMAGES

gas prices are getting rediculous!!

who can we invade?

Old 08-17-2005   #31
aizan

yay, death to frames and tables!

sooo...as far as photography goes, i've gotta sit down and scan things on my ****ty minolta dimage scan dual. first version. which is now worth $40 if you're lucky.

Old 08-17-2005   #32
FrankS

I had a Suzuki GS650 several years ago which I sold to my neighbour who still rides it. Then I got my used BMW's. Back in highschool I had a 175 Honda twin. I really wanted to buy the 350 Honda twin, but my dad wouldn't let me becasue the biggest bike he had back in Germany was a 250 BMW. I remember the 500 and 650 Honda Silver Wings and considered getting one (after the 175 in highschool).

Bill M. I love reading your posts.

Last edited by FrankS : 08-17-2005 at 21:18.

Old 08-17-2005   #33
back alley
IMAGES

mine was the 650 (674) in real life.

first was the 400 then the 650 and then a honda custom 900 and then back to cars.

the 650 was great except that the fairing was off the goldwing and was a mite too big for it.

Old 08-17-2005   #34
back alley
IMAGES

gotta get ready for sleep.

see ya guys in the morning!

joe

Old 08-17-2005   #35
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

Quote:
And the folks that I work with wonder why I don't sympathize when they bitch about how much it costs to fill up their gas guzzlers.
My math makes your gas about twice as much as we are paying around here, joe.
Think I'll stick to my bicycle for a while longer yet.
Rob

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Old 08-17-2005   #36
FrankS

Nighty-night!

Old 08-17-2005   #37
bmattock

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbiemer
And the folks that I work with wonder why I don't sympathize when they bitch about how much it costs to fill up their gas guzzlers.
My math makes your gas about twice as much as we are paying around here, joe.
Think I'll stick to my bicycle for a while longer yet.
Rob
Nah, Canadian dollars. You can pile them up and sleep on them for about a sawbuck American.

LOL!

Gotta get some sleep myself.

Best,

Bill

Old 08-17-2005   #38
bmattock

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbarn
It's a hot night in Baton Rouge and just gave my brother a digital camera - an Olympus Camedia something or other - for his birthday. He doesn't understand why I don't have one. My family doesn't understand why I just bought my 8th or 9th rangefinder (Canonet QL 17) or why I keep buying film and processing.
I love photography and I suppose I have a comfortable fondness for loading 35mm and 120 rolls of film. I know all the rationales for digital and it's evident that it's the future if not the present. I don't care. It's what I've gotten excited over since the mid 60s and it's what I'll enjoy doing for as long as I'm able.

Anyway, that's what I'm thinking on this hot Baton Rouge night.
Man, I can hear the Zydeco! Stay cool, brah. The temp has dropped a bit here in NC, due to some storms we got last night.

G'night,

Bill

Old 08-17-2005   #39
Little Prince

Nice colors and sharp pics Jorge.

It's bad when you have to spend money on car repairs. Feels very wasteful, like it just needn't have happened, right? Acceptance is a hard lesson to learn...

Me? I'm writing my doctoral proposal. Working full time internship also. That means work at day and work at night. Horrible. I'm sapped of energy and it feels endless. Gotta crash...

Old 08-17-2005   #40
Fedzilla_Bob
man with cat

Gas here hasn't hit 3 bucks yet. It gets close downtown at 2.95 per gallon. I have o stop driving at 80 mph.

We Americans have been spared the worst gas prices. But still, it's higher than I want it to be.

Went out for a walk before meeting the family at dinner and took shots of the "Gas Lamp" downtown near my office. Grabbed a few shots of the architecture. Also tried to sneek a shot of Mexican sailors (the Mexican Navy is in town, as they often are). Snappy uniforms. Similar to Russian Seamen.

Went out to dinner after that at the restaurant my stepson serves at. Had excellent seared tuna in a crispy phylo (filo) crust. Delicious.
I'm a goin fishing, yes I'm goin fishing
and my Baby goin fishing, too

Taj Mahall

My Gallery