Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

35 years of GAS leads to explosion......
Old 09-07-2005   #1
Wayne R. Scott
Half fast Leica User

35 years of GAS leads to explosion......

Greetings,

I am basically thinking out loud right now, so please bear with me. My head is about to explode.

After 35 years of gear acquisition, one of the problems with GAS is that it can lead to indecision as to what camera/lens combo to carry with you. I am leaving on a two week auto trip through the western and southwestern USA to visit members of my scattered family. I will be traveling at my own pace with no one to annoy. I am trying to narrow down my kit to a reasonable and useful combo. I have a feeling that the wide open spaces and mountains call for a wide angle lens and a larger format than 35mm with both slide film and b&w film. While family snap shots call for 35mm print film and flash capability. Walk-about sight seeing calls for rangefinder type camera with b&w and color print film. Some of the old ghost towns call for b&w film with attention to detail which would lead to large format and/or macro details.

I think my walk about camera combo is going to be two Canon Pís one with 35mm lens and one with 50mm lens. With a 100mm in bag. With a small GE selenium light meter hand held.

For family grab shots, I think a Canon QL-17 GIII with small flash. Minolta IV f flash meter.

For macro details shots I think a Nikon F3HP with 55mm Micro Nikkor and a Tamron 90mm Macro with 1:1 extension tube. Plus a rail bellows. Use the Nikon on board meter.

Now for the hard part, the scenic views. Medium format and/or large format? If medium format do I use 645, 6x6, or 6x7? My choices are Bronica ETRS with very sharp 50mm PE but smaller 645 format. Yashica TLR with 80mm normal lens in 6x6 or Koni-Omega with 90mm normal lens in 6x7. Or use a 6x7 roll film back on my 4x5 Crown Graphic with 88mm Bausch & Lomb and 162mm Optar?

In large format do I take the 4x5 Crown Graphic and use Graphmatic film holders, one with slide film and one with b&w film? Or go with a rail view camera for the 100mm WF Ektar and 190mm Ektar?
Should I haul a 5x7 with 250mm Commercial Ektar for black & white? Or all of the above? I think with large format any thing over 100 feet from the car is not going to be interesting.

All of the 35mm equipment will fit into my Lowe Pro Magnum case, with a small Lowe Pro for walk-about to hold film, extra body and lens.

Tripods, spot meter, filters, cable releases, etc. will be included.

I am kind of leaning toward the K.I.S.S. principle, but then what if I need it and donít have it? I am not likely to travel this way again for several years, if ever.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or voices of experience welcome.

Wayne
One's skill is never complete, one's knowledge is forever lacking, one's taste is invariably altered, one's opinion ever subject to controversy. There is a complete and constant urge toward improvement...
-Andrew Loomis.

"Good Judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

Old 09-07-2005   #2
kiev4a

Let's see. I think Hertz rents a small truck that should work for your purposes. If weight affects your gas mileage too much you can drop off the Canon P with me in Idaho to reduce you expenses

Old 09-07-2005   #3
eric
[was]: emaquiling

I think you need to rent another car just for yourself and your gear.
That's a heck of a lot of gear! I can't tell you want to do, but K.I.S.S sounds like a good idea especially when travelling with family. I always break something or lose something cause the kids throw things on top of my gear. I did have a Zero Halliburton last time and somehow, my Sekonic 398 studio meter broke. I do a lot of road trips with my family and I usually bring my Medium format in a hard case and a small P&S (Oly stylus), wife carries the digital, and I'll bring my Agfa Isola or Clack or Holga or Diana. That way, same 120 film procoessing and I won't feel bad if anything breaks on a trip. Then take your bigger cameras on outings by yourself. If it sounds like you'll be in a vehicle, bring everything and take out what you need.

Old 09-07-2005   #4
varjag
Eugene Zaikonnikov

Travel light.

Take one 35mm camera, and the least bulky MF for scenics if you feel the need for larger format. Stuff the rest of free space with film

My Flickr

Old 09-07-2005   #5
Wayne R. Scott
Half fast Leica User

Quote:
Originally Posted by varjag
Travel light.

Take one 35mm camera, and the least bulky MF for scenics if you feel the need for larger format. Stuff the rest of free space with film
Ahh, the voice of reason. Now go away

Wayne
One's skill is never complete, one's knowledge is forever lacking, one's taste is invariably altered, one's opinion ever subject to controversy. There is a complete and constant urge toward improvement...
-Andrew Loomis.

Old 09-07-2005   #6
akalai

I'm not sure what type of vehicle you are travelling in but hopefully it's secure enough to avoid being easily broken into....be a shame to loose any of the gear you mention above.

Having said that it sure sounds like fun and I wish I could do the same.... I made the mistake of getting a copy of Avedon's "In the American West" and since fantasise often of making a transcontinental road trip. Lucky you!

Hey how about the 21mm Biogon on the IIa??? I think that and the two Canons would just about cover everything....and in not too large a bag.

...and if you happen to stumble across any other 21mm Biogons in some dusty old shop during your trip...LET ME KNOW! PLEASE.

OK well have a safe trip.
- W-Nikkor-C f2.5 3.5cm (Leica)
- Nikkor P-C f2 8.5cm (Leica)

- Carl Zeiss Jena Biogon T f2.8 35mm (Contax RF)
- Carl Zeiss Tessar f3.5 50mm "Rigid" (Contax RF)
- Carl Zeiss Sonnar f2 85mm (Contax RF)

- Voigtlander SL 12mm or 15mm (Nikon F)
- Voigtlander F-C Adapter (Nikon -> Contax RF)
- Voigtlander F-L Adapter (Nikon -> Leica)
- Voigtlander SWC Low Angle Finder

Old 09-07-2005   #7
Nick R.
Still here

I don't see why you should take both the canonet and the canon p with the 35mm. Take the p's and intersperce your art shots with your snapshots.
If you can fit a large tripod, take the large format gear. The bigger the better. Otherwise, handheld, any of 6x's will do.

Old 09-07-2005   #8
Wayne R. Scott
Half fast Leica User

I did toy with the idea of the 21mm Biogon on the IIa, I just thought larger format wide angle would give more detail. Hmmmm. IIa and Biogon are really compact. If I carry every thing I may be able to sell some for gas, as prices continue to climb.

I am going to be looking in the dusty old shops along the way. Maybe I'll find that 8x10 Kodak 2D that I have been looking for. If I find another 21mm Biogon you will have first dibs akalai.

Wayne
-Andrew Loomis.

Old 09-07-2005   #9
akalai

Cheers Wayne!!!

Haha...I think the only way I'd ever get that lens is if someone like you did manage to stumble across one in said "Ye Olde Shoppe"...haha. Hey maybe you could also keep an eye out for a 8x10 Deardorff as well to fulfill my "Avedon" fantasy???

Seriously though I think the two P's and the IIa with the Biogon on it as the ultimate snap camera would be an ideal and manageable kit...but ultimately it will come down to how much gear you are willing to lug. Either way I hope you enjoy the journey....
- W-Nikkor-C f2.5 3.5cm (Leica)
- Nikkor P-C f2 8.5cm (Leica)

- Carl Zeiss Jena Biogon T f2.8 35mm (Contax RF)
- Carl Zeiss Tessar f3.5 50mm "Rigid" (Contax RF)
- Carl Zeiss Sonnar f2 85mm (Contax RF)

- Voigtlander SL 12mm or 15mm (Nikon F)
- Voigtlander F-C Adapter (Nikon -> Contax RF)
- Voigtlander F-L Adapter (Nikon -> Leica)
- Voigtlander SWC Low Angle Finder

Old 09-07-2005   #10
wlewisiii
StayAtHome Dad & Photog

If I were to be looking at this trip, with what you've suggested above, I'd go with the following
1) Canon P with the 3 lenses
2) Yahsica TLR
3) Crown Graphic with a couple of lenses, roll back and grafmatics.
4) Tripod, GE Meter, etc and as much film as the car can hold.

That way you'd probably have your bases covered in a simple package. Plus the Crown is light enough to move the "interesting" limit a few more feet away from the car

William

Playing and learning daily with: 4x5 Crown Graphic, Leica IIIf w/ 50/2 Summitar, Nikon F2 Photomic w/ 50/1.4 & Olympus E-PL1.

"Some people are 'the glass is half full' types. Some people are 'the glass is half empty' types. I'm a 'the glass is full of radioactive waste and I just drank half of it' type. And I'm still thirsty." -- Bill Mattocks

Last edited by wlewisiii : 09-07-2005 at 08:04. Reason: wording error

Old 09-07-2005   #11
Wayne R. Scott
Half fast Leica User

My thinking on the Canon QL-17 was that it has a hot shoe for small flash, on Canon P I need flash with pc cord. I guess an even smaller more compact camera with flash for grab shots would be my Olympus mju. I am going to nix the QL-17 and take the Olympus. Adding Contax IIa with Biogon 21mm.

Medium format I think I will take folding Speedex Special "R" .

I am leaning toward Crown Graphic with 6x7 Roll film holder and 4x5 graphmatics and film holders, with two lenses. Bogen tripod. Crown Graphic, lenses and film holders in graphic hard case.

Wayne
-Andrew Loomis.

Old 09-07-2005   #12
Wayne R. Scott
Half fast Leica User

akalai,

On the 8x10 Deardorff, you get dibs on the second one I find.

Wayne
-Andrew Loomis.

Old 09-07-2005   #13
oftheherd

I've thought long and hard about this, and looked at all the replies. Frankly, I think you will just have to explode.

Actually, with the MF capability of you 4x5, that isn't a bad choice. You will hate yourself if you see something that speaks to you in LF and you don't have it. For anything else that says "large print" the 6x7 will do.

In 35mm, you probably have it about right.

Old 09-07-2005   #14
FrankS

If it were me with your equip, I'd take 2 Canon Ps (colour, 400asa B+W), and the TLR (100asa B+W).

photography makes me happy

Old 09-07-2005   #15
gns

"I am kind of leaning toward the KISS principle..."

You are?

Old 09-07-2005   #16
kiev4a

For the type of trip you are taking, I would forget about large format--medium format should provide a big enough neg ...even 645 format. I'm prejudiced on this but I certainly would not leave the F3 HP home. Landscapes and close ups are more of an SLR thing than RF.

Old 09-07-2005   #17
back alley
IMAGES

listen to frank and enjoy the trip!

joe

Old 09-07-2005   #18
jan normandale
Film is the other way

2 Canons one BW one colour w 35mm and 50 mm
1 Bronica ETRS w 2 backs one BW one colour, 50mm, 75mm, 200mm
take your Canonet for backup and your family flash shots

That is manageable and light. Forget the LF thing, do it later. Bookmark all the items you want to LF with the 35mm and then come back to do a dedicated shot. Don't bite off too much, you want to have fun not be buried with the problem you outlined in your first post 'too much equipment causing indecision'

You'll learn to make it work

Jan

it's all about light

Old 09-07-2005   #19
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by gns
"I am kind of leaning toward the KISS principle..."

You are?
Paul, Gene, Chris and Ace?

Well, rangefinders are, by some paradoxical reason, both simple, yet not-so-simple (parallax correction, framelines, focus adjustment, etc.) pieces of engineering. So I can understand the dilemma.

I didn't see you mention a Pentax 645. They are nice; loud, but nice, great optics. And many pros keep on dumping them for the siren call of digital.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 09-07-2005   #20
aizan

just focus. one camera for snapshots. one camera for landscapes. bada-bing-bada-boom.

Old 09-07-2005   #21
Wayne R. Scott
Half fast Leica User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielma
I didn't see you mention a Pentax 645. They are nice; loud, but nice, great optics. And many pros keep on dumping them for the siren call of digital.
The Bronica ETRs will do what the Pentax 645 will do and they have interchangeable backs. Besides, I don't have a Pentax 645

Wayne
-Andrew Loomis.

Old 09-07-2005   #22
sf

You just need the camera that has everything going for it. Look at the 6x9 Alpa cameras. Very compact - smaller than my Pentax 645 NII. Best optics in the world -arguably. Certainly the most robust construction of any camera made for purchase. Viewfinder/rangefinder system (no ttl). The usual leaf shutter - zero vibrations, with a very very ergonomic design with grips and a perfectly placed shutter release.

SO, that is what you need. It has all the benefits of every format. Small camera body, biggest negative in handheld except 4x5 field cameras and the 617 format from Fuji and Linhof, built to last a lifetime (and then some) - last longer than any Leica, capable of using digital backs, interchangeable lenses (sort of), and a rangefinder system that removes any nasty effect of a huge shutter. Just imagine an indestructible Mamiya 7, without metering and a much large negative.

It will cost you about the same as a new Mamiya 7II, unless you want the spiffy superwide with the natural wood grips (spend about 5 grand for that).

Look at www.alpa.ch. Now, THAT will give you GAS. I even consider taking out a loan to buy one of those. No kidding. But I doubt that bank will give it to me, seeing as I have 5 digit school loans to pay them back for.

Old 09-07-2005   #23
rover

Canonet and plenty of beer.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 09-07-2005   #24
schaubild
light chaser

I'd second the Alpa

In the beginning worked very fine for me, but then came the wish for more lenses, backs, accessories, now I carry again a suitcase...

Old 09-07-2005   #25
jan normandale
Film is the other way

Wayne

Alternate plan. Hire a pro photographer to take all the equipment and shots. Have beer while he shoots. I like it!

Jan

it's all about light

Old 09-07-2005   #26
schaubild
light chaser

Hmm, thats what you call outsourcing?

Old 09-07-2005   #27
DougK
This space left blank

I would take one of the following outfits:
  • one medium format camera (any type but rangefinder or TLR preferred)
  • a rangefinder with wide-angle and normal lenses OR a fixed-lens rangefinder with 40mm-ish lens
  • a compact SLR with wide-angle and normal lenses

For any of these outfits I'd also take a tripod/monopod and lots of film. Any one of these outfits would handle (I think) the vast majority of vacation shooting and leave plenty of room for artistic expression. Any more than this and you'll constantly be wondering which camera to grab or aching from lugging gear around.

Last edited by DougK : 09-07-2005 at 13:29.

Old 09-07-2005   #28
RObert Budding

The Alpa sure is nice. But what a shame the price is soooo high! Is thee aversion manufactured in China yet?

Robert

"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan

Old 09-07-2005   #29
zpuskas

Take it all! You'll need it.

Old 03-02-2006   #30
Rob
rangefinder camera magnet

I think my walk about camera combo is going to be two Canon Pís one with 35mm lens and one with 50mm lens. With a 100mm in bag. With a small GE selenium light meter hand held.

For family grab shots, I think a Canon QL-17 GIII with small flash. Minolta IV f flash meter.

Why not get the Canonlite D flash instead of carrying a seperate meter for this?

For macro details shots I think a Nikon F3HP with 55mm Micro Nikkor and a Tamron 90mm Macro with 1:1 extension tube. Plus a rail bellows. Use the Nikon on board meter.

I would ditch the rail bellows, you have macro covered with your lenses.

Now for the hard part, the scenic views. Medium format and/or large format? If medium format do I use 645, 6x6, or 6x7? My choices are Bronica ETRS with very sharp 50mm PE but smaller 645 format. Yashica TLR with 80mm normal lens in 6x6 or Koni-Omega with 90mm normal lens in 6x7. Or use a 6x7 roll film back on my 4x5 Crown Graphic with 88mm Bausch & Lomb and 162mm Optar?

In large format do I take the 4x5 Crown Graphic and use Graphmatic film holders, one with slide film and one with b&w film? Or go with a rail view camera for the 100mm WF Ektar and 190mm Ektar?
Should I haul a 5x7 with 250mm Commercial Ektar for black & white? Or all of the above? I think with large format any thing over 100 feet from the car is not going to be interesting.

I am kind of leaning toward the K.I.S.S. principle, but then what if I need it and donít have it? I am not likely to travel this way again for several years, if ever.

I think you will be better off keeping it simple. Take enough not too much. The LF gear may be too much as you said...Make sure it is all serviced or checked out. Hate to do that kind of trip and find out you have a bad camera.

Old 03-02-2006   #31
Bertram2
Gone elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne R. Scott
Ahh, the voice of reason. Now go away

Wayne
Wayne ,

don't kill the messenger, the truth is bitter: Your head IS already exploded, long time ago btw.

bertram

Old 03-02-2006   #32
back alley
IMAGES

this is a very old thread and wayne has not been here since dec/05.

just an fyi