Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Film Cameras

Which Camera is your Sweetie using?
Old 09-16-2005   #1
Graybeard
Longtime IIIf User

Which Camera is your Sweetie using?

My Sweeetie is my wife but I'd thought I'd leave things open to all the others in forum member's lives.

Recently my Sweetie's P&S (a plastic Pentax autofocus something or other) gave up the ghost. Stinking little electric motors inside the thing just whined and whined and accomplished nothing that I could tell. She needed a replacement quickly and asked me for a camera she'd be comfortable using.

What I had to offer was a Nikkormat FT2/ 50mm f2 Nikkor. She had used a Spotmatic F in the days of our youth, and, after just a bit of time, was again comfortable with a match needle SLR. (The FT2 is a particularly nice choice as it has a split image rangefinder and was designed to take silver oxide batteries). Mark Hama does a complete CLA of the FT2 for $85 should anyone be interested.

She noticed an immediate, and significant, improvement in the quality of the color prints which she was taking and has actually been shooting available light. I offered a flash to use in the FT2 hotshoe but she hasn't needed it yet.

We'll be off on a special vacation trip soon and I offered to replace the Pentax P&S with a more modern one - I generally just shoot B&W and my wife likes color prints. She replied, thank you very much but she'd keep the Nikkormat; that is fine with me.

What does the other person in your life use to photograph you viewing the world through a Leica finder?

Old 09-16-2005   #2
Brian Sweeney

My "Sweetie" wife uses a Leica Mini. Likes it better than the Nikon 500.

My "Sweetie" Daughter uses a Nikon Lite-Touch, original model with 28mm F3.5 lens. She also uses a Kodak DC120, or "The Camera with the Little TV".

Old 09-16-2005   #3
Roman

Nicole uses a Canon Prima Super 115 P&S - image quality is not bad, but the thing had to be repaired (still under warranty) not only once but twice after she got it...

Roman

My Flickr gallery

Old 09-16-2005   #4
djon

My babe uses a Minolta slr of some sort...small cheap superb.

I gave her a 10-roll (of film ) training program (1 roll 200 CN 24exp every couple of days, processed/printed/critiqued within a day)..set her up with a birthday Sundog toploader case (shoebox size) that tightly held her kit: Minolta, 50, another birthday's 28 and her 135, waved her goodbye...

She spent two weeks in India, came back with 20 rolls of beautiful film. Dang. I how come I don't do other stuff that well?

I recently gave her a birthday Tokina 70-200...wonderful lens, WAY better than her Minolta primes and very compact (especially Vs Vivitars)...now her kit's smaller and more capable, just 28 and the zoom...

The only downsides are the Minolta primes and the stupid aperture priority (shutter priority doesn't seem available).

The road to enlightenment is paved with excess.

John Kelly : Djon

<a href='http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1194'>My Gallery</a>

Last edited by djon : 09-16-2005 at 13:52.

Old 09-16-2005   #5
Honu-Hugger

My sweetheart is a lot smarter than I am -- she only uses digital!!! Early on I offered her a full array of various film cameras including UW gear; she quickly discovered that she really preferred video. A distant second to her video-cam is a small 5MP Sony digital. She is always quick to point out the shots that I miss because I'm fiddling with exposure, focus, or some other nuance of the ancient gear I prefer .

Old 09-16-2005   #6
JohnM

My wife uses a Sony 828 digicam.

Nice camera for a sorta P&S - I actually like throwing an ND-400 filter on it and using it in Nightshot mode. Makes for a nifty infrared shooter.

Old 09-16-2005   #7
julianphotoart
No likey digital-phooey

To her credit, she uses a film-based Pentax MZ-S that I formally used. She has, however, crazy-glued it on "P" mode.

Old 09-16-2005   #8
Scarpia

To take pictures or hit me with when I get a GAS attack?
To take pictures with she uses an Olympus P&S with a zoom that goes to 80mm. I am hiding my Mamiya C-3 as a blow from it could prove fatal.
Kurt M.

Old 09-16-2005   #9
tetrisattack
Maximum Creativity!

My sweetheart! She uses a Nikomat FTn, which was her dad's, occasionally a Bronica ETRS, which is mine, and a digital rebel when she can't get darkroom access.

And she'll often bring home the better shots!

Old 09-16-2005   #10
Skinny McGee

Nikon f601 with 50mm 1.4 nikon lens
Leica M3, 1935 leica 111A 50mm prewar summar uncoated 90mm elmar uncoated prewar,Zorki 1, Anniversary Speed Graphic4x5, 21/4x31/4, ricohmatic 225tlr,Calumet 4x5 view w/ superagulon 90mm,Yashica gsn,MG1, FX70, argus C3, 4x5 pinhole, 35mm pinhole argus,Nikon F601, Nikon N80

Old 09-16-2005   #11
ChrisN
Striving

My wife has recently appropriated my Pentax digital SLR. She loves it. I'm hoping to weed her off it, but I don't like my chances.

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 09-16-2005   #12
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

My wife is a Pentax woman. She started with a K-1000 and a 50/2 lens, but when she reported the immortal K-1000 had died on her, I ran to get her a ZX. Turns out the K-1000 was only in bad need of a CLA, so now it's back among the living.

She now likes her ZX better... and her 35-70 zoom even more. Got some very good shots from Dresden last May (and got a photo book for me too!). She has a good eye... just uses it very little.
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Old 09-16-2005   #13
keithslater

My wife was using a HP 2.1 digital. I sold that and bought her a casio elixim 4.1 (or something). She is mad at me for getting rid on the HP. It took better shots and was much more simple. No zoom. It really did take great shots for a 2.1 mp.

Old 09-16-2005   #14
wlewisiii
StayAtHome Dad & Photog

My wife currently uses an Olympus Stylus P&S but wants a digital. I'm thinking of one of the Sony's with a Zeiss lens for Christmas. My son is still just a bit too young, but I have a Yashica Lynx 5000 that is going to visit Mr. Hama so that it's ready when the time comes.

William

Playing and learning daily with: 4x5 Crown Graphic, Leica IIIf w/ 50/2 Summitar, Nikon F2 Photomic w/ 50/1.4 & Olympus E-PL1.

"Some people are 'the glass is half full' types. Some people are 'the glass is half empty' types. I'm a 'the glass is full of radioactive waste and I just drank half of it' type. And I'm still thirsty." -- Bill Mattocks

Old 09-16-2005   #15
Kin Lau

My wife's shooters are a 300D Digital Rebel or a Minolta Maxxum XTsi for b&w and picks up one of my RF's once in a while. The Minolta glass is excellent, and we share the EOS glass. She has a much better eye for composition than me, so basically she's the photographer, and I'm the lab .

<a href='http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=583'>My Gallery</a>

Old 09-16-2005   #16
CleverName

My wife doesn't take pictures, she makes me take them.
But she really, really wants one of those phones with a camera in it.

Old 09-16-2005   #17
hoot
green behind the ears

Fun idea for a post.

A lower-end 2mp digi-p&s, one of the Coolpix models. It yields fine results for vacation snapshots, but is really slow and eats batteries like popcorn. I sometimes borrow it to take pics of my ebay auctions, with a paper handkerchief held over the internal flash.

my photos on RFF
my website

Old 09-16-2005   #18
zpuskas

Ain't got no sweetie (rignt now).

Old 09-16-2005   #19
keithslater

"with a paper handkerchief held over the internal flash" Why did I not think of that? All this time I have been struggling with glare on everything I sell. Thanks!

Old 09-16-2005   #20
richard_l

My wife is using a Nikon FM, usually with a Nikkor 55mm f/2.8.

Old 09-16-2005   #21
Tim
Amateur Leicabater

A pair of Canon's - her main camera an EOS 3, but lately she has been carrying a QL-17 GIII everywhere! And a Minolta digital p&s thingy. After a recent episode borrowing a Fotoman 617 she's lusting (very badly) after an XPAN-II.............

Leicas IIIf, M3, M6TTL. Too many lenses. A baby Linhof. And the missus' Canons & X-Pan. Learning all the time......

Old 09-16-2005   #22
jaypolaski

I don't know about me looking through a Leica (yet )

As for my sweetie, she used a Nikon EM I got her, usually with a 50 1.8, or a 70-210, and I've got my daughter on the manual camera training program with an Olympus OM-10 with a 50 1.8.

Panasonic GF1, Olympus 35RC, Kiev 4A, Canon GIII QL 1.7, Olympus OM-1n, Nikon F3, Nikon FE, FM2n, Canon 40D, Mamiya RB-67 Pro S, Rollei 35, Holga 120N

My Flickr

Old 09-16-2005   #23
Terence T
Where'd my Bessa go?

The wife uses a Olympus Mju II film p/s, with a Oly Mju 400 Digital p/s if she's feeling lazy. The digital is a piece of junk but the Mju II is just an excellent little camera with a pretty good lens.

I'm thinking of replacing the digital with a slim cam that'd fit into her handbag. Something like a Casio Exlim or the likes.

V i s i t . M y . P h o t o . B l o g

E m a i l . M e ( N o . P M . P l e a s e )

Old 09-16-2005   #24
back alley
IMAGES

only one of my ex wives was into photography, but i don't remember what she used.
she had a great eye and was my best editor.

right now...there..is..no...sob...one...

joe

Old 09-16-2005   #25
Socke

Leica C2, she doesn't like my Contaxes :-)

Old 09-16-2005   #26
Tuna

My wife used the old line of "will you teach me about photography?" when we first met. She pretended to pay attention until we got married and has clutched a do-everything P&S since... She is currently shooting with an Olympus digital P&S and patiently pretends to listen as I explain the nuances of my Leicas.

Tuna

Old 09-16-2005   #27
stet
lurker.

I'm not in the Leica camp either, although I think I see a few Canon junkies in this thread.

My girlfriend uses a Nikon F3, with MD4 motor drive. It's great to see people's reactions to it. And she could clobber anyone with that thing. She uses a fixed 50 and a wide-to-short-tele zoom, and I just found her a great deal on a pre-AI 80-200 zoom, which has given me more leeway for recent GAS of my own.

At her prodding, we also just got on our fave shop's list for a Nikon D70s, which we're going halfsies on. Some people have joint accounts, we're getting joint gear.

RFF | rickv.com

Old 09-16-2005   #28
Doug

Kay has been using a Nikon Coolpix 990 for a few years and loves it for the swivel in the middle and its compact size, so she carries it in its bag wherever she goes. She also likes that she can assemble pics on a CF card to show to her friends she encounters.

I love it too for the blessedly $0 processing costs! She used to go through mass quantities of film... Earlier on, she had destroyed a Pentax ME Super and a Ricoh XLS so I figured she needed something tougher, and she got a pair of Pentax LX's. They're pretty well thrashed now, with various impact damages but still work. Remarkably, the Nikon 990 has withstood severe use very well!

Old 09-17-2005   #29
Sean Moran

I bought my beloved an M3 with 50mm collapsible Elmar, so she could shoot colour on holiday whilst I shoot B&W on an M2 with 50mm Summicron. She only uses it twice a year, so I have the arduous task of using it in between holidays to keep everything working smoothly ;-)

Cheers,

SeŠn.

Old 09-17-2005   #30
Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by backalley photo
only one of my ex wives was into photography, but i don't remember what she used.
she had a great eye and was my best editor.

right now...there..is..no...sob...one...

joe
Joe, between wives now?

My last girlfriend couldn't understand why I am (in her words) throwing a large amount of my $ into camera equipments...
...but she loves to get shot (by cameras...)...

The one before was more understanding, but couldn't go beyond P&S & Toy cams

And the one before, couldn't understand why I was (in her words) suffering so much when I was doing up my car... (back at Uni...)

Finding the next one will be hard, as I had made enough mistakes with the last 3...

Old 09-17-2005   #31
hugivza

My wife Chris uses a digital Ricoh with big chip which to my knowledge has never been downloaded. Its not an area of our relationship that I have developed (?) sufficent curiosity to enquire further about, ignorance being blissful! She has used on occasion to good effect, my Nikon F2 with 85/1.4 with B and W

Old 09-17-2005   #32
Alec
Amateur

Brigitte shoots a Canon Prima 135 film p&s, not very often (like five 24 exposure films a year), but the pics are amazingly crisp.

I am afraid she is more into pictures (what) than photography (how), though; I am using various tools including a Summilux 75 to convince her, but it is a long term assignment. We have only been married 9.5 years after all...
"Time. Time. What is time? Swiss manufacture it. French hoard it. Italians squander it. Americans say it is money. Hindus say it does not exist. Do you know what I say? I say time is a crook. " - Peter Lorre as O'Hara in "Beat the Devil"

Old 09-17-2005   #33
back alley
IMAGES

'Joe, between wives now?'

as far as relationships go...i'm retired now!

joe

Old 09-17-2005   #34
rovnguy

My sweetie is from Texas. She doesn't want to be bothered with something big or complicated, so she shoots a Canon ELPH LT. A very basic APS camera, but she loves it and is one of the few who really like the APS format. It took a while, but she has learned to get up close before shooting. Her shots of people on the street are quite good. She takes her exposed film to our favorite camera shop for processing, but only has the film developed and the images scanned to a CD.

Old 09-17-2005   #35
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovnguy
...she shoots a Canon ELPH LT. A very basic APS camera, but she loves it and is one of the few who really like the APS format. ... She takes her exposed film to our favorite camera shop for processing, but only has the film developed and the images scanned to a CD.
Sounds like she's worked out techniques to get good results, and is having fun! I too have a Canon Elph in APS format, but mine is the "Jr" model with fixed 26mm f/2.8 lens. Other than the partial roll of color that was in it when I got it through eBay, I've only shot BW400CN in it. Carried in a Canon belt pouch, it's easy to have along all the time. Cute little camera!

Old 10-01-2005   #36
DougK
This space left blank

Well, I don't exactly have a sweetie right now, but my semi-sweetie (no, I won't explain that) is in-between cameras. She used to use a Canon Sure Shot (the original model) loaded with chromogenic B&W before it died... she hates color photos and she has a great eye. She wants to try digital though, so I'll probably give her my Kyocera 2MP camera. Sharp, sharp lens on that bad boy although it's pretty much just a basic P&S.

My two best friends are also female and both are digital shooters as well, one with a Canon 3MP job (I can't keep up with the model numbers) and the other an HP 945.

Old 10-01-2005   #37
simonankor
Registered Addict

Julz did photography at high school, and has sworn since I've known her that she couldn't be bothered taking it up again. So now she has a Canon AE1 and an AE1P, 50/1.8 and 70-200/4 macro.

And she loves it

Old 10-01-2005   #38
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

My sweety uses a decently cheap (as in less than $100) point and shoot Canon with zoom. I've tried to get him to join in on my Crusade Against Higher Technology (Camera Related), but he's just not into it. He doesn't take that many photos anyway.

I had a baby girl on December 6, 2007. Yay motherhood!

One camera. Two lenses. Three shots per week.

2008 Street Photography Project

Old 10-02-2005   #39
Ben Z

My wife uses an S-400 Digital ELPH, which replaced her film ELPH. I got her a Rebel Ti but she doesn't want to bother with film anymore and she found the Rebel too big and heavy to fit in her purse so getting her an XT would be a complete waste of money. She thinks I'm a dope for using these old fashioned cameras, every time I hand her a Leica and ask her to take a shot of me she gives me a look like she's going to throw up. She can't understand why anyone would bother aligning two transparent images inside a little rectancle when her AF does the same thing inside a little rectangle at the push of a button. She can't understand why anyone would carry 10 lbs of lenses and juggle changing them while shots get away, when her zoom reacts to the push of a button and she gets the shots I miss. She can't understand why anyone would stand in the middle of the street with a baseplate in their mouth fumbling with getting film up into the bottom of a camera every 36 shots, when her 1GB CF card holds a thousand shots and can be changed in a second. She can't understand why anyone would drive to a photo lab, return later to pick up negs, spend a couple hours scanning them, when her CF card goes straight into a slot on the printer and a print comes out in a minute or two. Most of all she can't understand why after all I go through and all I've spent, her shots are just as sharp and crisp as mine. But I love her anyway.

Old 10-02-2005   #40
Tom Diaz

My wife uses a Canonet QL17 GIII. I bought it for her new in 1975. I did not know, but maybe suspected subconsciously, that it would be an admirable camera for decades. It is overexposing kind of consistently these days. Probably needs a cleaning, but I may have a hard time getting it away from her. I also wonder whether the lead-air battery is not really doing the job and it should be recalibrated for alkalines.