Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

This Will Teach Me to buy on the bay
Old 12-20-2005   #1
flashover
John K

This Will Teach Me to buy on the bay

Bought this one on ebay. Seller said eveything working ok but needs batteries to make it work.. Ya look at it now. This will teach me to buy there and not here

Yashica Professional (the camera not the guy behind it)

Canon QL17 GIII / Nikon F3 / Pair of Yashica-Ds

Camera Junkie Flickr Group

Old 12-20-2005   #2
jlw
Rangefinder camera pedant

So is that the way it looked when you received it?

Maybe he meant you'll need batteries in your pacemaker to survive the moment when you open the box!

Old 12-20-2005   #3
Brian Sweeney

Well I hope you got it cheap!

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...nolta+hi-matic

Still there. I have not bumped it on purpose...

Old 12-20-2005   #4
Braden

Man, looks like quite the process to change batteries! Yeeesh!

Old 12-20-2005   #5
flashover
John K

no it was together. But batteries didn't help and I went inside to see why. Now I know why. rotten wiring.

Old 12-20-2005   #6
flashover
John K

well al least it only cost me 25.00 including the shipping. Should a bought some lottery tickets instead.

Hay G'man if I send you all the parts can you put it the garbage for me.

Last edited by flashover : 12-20-2005 at 13:46.

Old 12-20-2005   #7
doubs43

Looks to me like you could move the framus gear one tooth and reattach the widget to the red wire and you'd be good-to-go! I could, of course, be mistaken.

Seriously, anyone who has done much ebaying will have similar stories. I know I have my share of them. In spite of the utmost care, you'll find that not all sellers are as up-front as we'd like. Sometimes sellers can outwit themselves and sometimes you can spot a bargain that everyone else - including the seller - misses.

I hope your next ebay experience is better.

Walker

Old 12-20-2005   #8
Poptart
Screw Loose & Fancy-Free

The "dude" who bid on my organ stood me up again! He never showed last night, no call, nothing. So now today he's banging on my door.
Anyway, the organ will be listed again starting Thursday. It's a classic in fine condition if anyone lives in Colorado and needs a tube-amp spinet.

Old 12-21-2005   #9
Heath
Classic Camera Collector

I bought what I expected to be a Sigma 28-80mm lens in Canon EF mount a couple of weeks ago. Someone had asked what mount it was and what the condition was like. The reply said the condition was excellent and the mount was Canon. I asked if it was auto or manual focus. The rply i got was it was auto focus, which meant it would work with my EOS bodies. I bid and won. Paid almost immediately too. Almost 2 weeks later it arrived (in the meantime the seller was de-registered with eBay and then re-registered). I also paid for registered post. Total was $31 plus $8 postage. $39 was a bargain in anyones books for an EF mount Sigma zoom in excellent condition.

When it arrived (in a large envelope wrapped in bubble wrap) I took one look at it and noted a few things wrong.

1). Mount was not Canon but Nikon. It was however an auto focus lens.
2). Condition was less than perfect. There is fungus starting to populate the rear element.
3). The postage that they paid was only $4.65 and regular postage.

I emailed them at a different email to their listed one (they are a franchise of large pawn brokers). The reply was apologetic. They offered a full refund and also to keep an eye out for a suitable lens. I emailed them back accepting their offers and asked how the refund was to take place. I have not heared back from them yet after a week. I will email them again, but being so close to Christmas I am not holding my breath. If I have to I may be able to resell the lens to recover the money lost in the sale, but I don't even know if the lens works, and I still don't have a wide to medium zomm for my EOS's.

Heath

Collector and avid user of classic and vintage cameras: Yashica Electro 35 GSN, Zorki-4, Neoka 35 IVS, Mamiya 35S2, Voigtlander Vito CLR, Ricoh 500GX, Minolta A5, Ensign Commando MF Rangefinder. PLus an assortment of MF, Zone Focus and SLR cameras.

Last edited by Heath : 12-21-2005 at 20:28.

Old 12-21-2005   #10
Rob
rangefinder camera magnet

I would not deal with folks who do not know and do not sell cameras on a regular basis.
Also, when buying a Sigma lens do NOT assume it will work on your EOS camera even if it is an autofocus Canon mount. Older lenses had to be sent back to Sigma for rechipping to work with newer bodies. They are out of some chips. Friend has two of their pro lenses a 28-70 F2.8 and 70-210 F2.8. Sigma is out of chips for these and they are both broken anyway and they will not fix them, they are about 6 years old. He now has $1000 worth of Sigma paperweights. Forget Sigma for Canon EOS. 28-80 type lenses in Canon mount are
very cheap in price anyway. Good wide to medium zoom is their 28-105 USM F3.5-F4.5 for $200 or so, 22-55 USM for $100 or so 20-25mm USM for $275. I have extensive EOS experience PM me if you need help.
Rob

Old 12-21-2005   #11
jlw
Rangefinder camera pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poptart
The "dude" who bid on my organ stood me up again!
I thought eBay stopped letting people sell organs after that kidney thing.

Old 12-21-2005   #12
Heath
Classic Camera Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
I would not deal with folks who do not know and do not sell cameras on a regular basis.
Also, when buying a Sigma lens do NOT assume it will work on your EOS camera even if it is an autofocus Canon mount. Older lenses had to be sent back to Sigma for rechipping to work with newer bodies. They are out of some chips. Friend has two of their pro lenses a 28-70 F2.8 and 70-210 F2.8. Sigma is out of chips for these and they are both broken anyway and they will not fix them, they are about 6 years old. He now has $1000 worth of Sigma paperweights. Forget Sigma for Canon EOS. 28-80 type lenses in Canon mount are
very cheap in price anyway. Good wide to medium zoom is their 28-105 USM F3.5-F4.5 for $200 or so, 22-55 USM for $100 or so 20-25mm USM for $275. I have extensive EOS experience PM me if you need help.
Rob

One problem Rob, those prices are in USD. I live in Australia and the lenses are a lot more expensive here. I have a broken Sigma 28-200 that I need to get repaired (under warranty) that works (when it did work) perfectly with my 300D. My other EOS's are all older models. They are the 100QD and the 1000FN. I also have a 1000F that I am selling to a good friend.

Heath

Collector and avid user of classic and vintage cameras: Yashica Electro 35 GSN, Zorki-4, Neoka 35 IVS, Mamiya 35S2, Voigtlander Vito CLR, Ricoh 500GX, Minolta A5, Ensign Commando MF Rangefinder. PLus an assortment of MF, Zone Focus and SLR cameras.

Old 12-21-2005   #13
Poptart
Screw Loose & Fancy-Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlw
I thought eBay stopped letting people sell organs after that kidney thing.
Hey, he'd told us he had two kidneys!

Anyway . . . If anybody has a monkey without an organ, click my profile and homepage Thursday.

Old 12-22-2005   #14
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

That was quite misleading!! I see batteries were included

jaapvphotography

Old 12-22-2005   #15
[email protected]

That certainly is a bummer. There definetly is some inherent risk in purchasing items that you cannot physically inspect. I am a budding E-Bayer myself and have delved into the camera market. When I first started I had NO idea how many different types of cameras there were and are. It wasn't until I came across a Nikkor 10.5cm screw mount lens, that I found this forum. I endevour to be as accurate as possible when I sell something on E-Bay and have found the honorable people in this forum VERY helpfull.

The problem is, that there are MANY people who sell on E-Bay who have NO IDEA what they are doing. They find a camera or lens, look it over, maybe press some buttons and turn some levers, but if they have no working knowledge of the camera they can not accuratley tell it's condition. This is usually the case when some one describes it as "only needs batteries to work". Generally if it is an old camera, the batteries powered the light metering system and not the shutter mechanisms, but unless you have experience with older cameras, you would not know this. (I, myself, have only learned this in the past few months).

Just remeber, when you see "works fine but needs batteries to operate" for an old camera, approach with caution.

On a reverse note, I found a listing for a Canon FD mount 50mm lens non working. The seller said the only thing wrong was that the aperture blades were "frozen". Now with even just a little Canon camera knowledge, I know the only way to check the aperture on an FD mount lens, the lens must be mounted to a Canon Camera body.

So I bought the lens, attatched it to my A1 and it worked flawlessly. I cleaned it up, Re-listed it as a tested lens, and sold it for $10 more that I paid for it, including all applicable fees.