Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Hardware / Computers / Drives / etc

Hardware / Computers / Drives / etc This is the place to discuss the hardware to keep your digital pics more than just memories.

Monitor advice: Prints AND the Web
Old 07-27-2015   #1
tonal1

Monitor advice: Prints AND the Web

I need to buy a monitor, maybe two. My question goes out to anyone who feels like they've tamed their photo editing system and are able to output to both the web and make prints that match their expectations. I'm looking for other persons experiences because I've had a lot of recent frustration in this area.

Is it unreasonable to use the same monitor for both of these purposes? Should I be editing for the web on a typical consumer machine like an iMac, and then use something like an NEC monitor to edit for print output?

What's your experience?

Old 07-27-2015   #2
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

I have always used dedicated graphics screens for everything. You cannot control what your viewers on the web have; many will have monitors set too bright, some will have crappy screens, etc. I edit my photos to be perfect for print, then convert to sRGB for the web copy. I've always used NEC Spectraview screens.

Old 07-27-2015   #3
WJJ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonal1 View Post
Should I be editing for the web on a typical consumer machine like an iMac, and then use something like an NEC monitor to edit for print output?
That is what I do, and have no complaints. iMac profiled for web: 6500k (D65) and 120 cd/m. NEC profiled for the paper I use with my Epson...

Flickr

Old 07-27-2015   #4
Peter_S

I have an Eizo CS240 I can highly recommend (reviews say the same). Easy to switch from sRGB to Adobe or your customized/calibrated profile, and well-priced.
Beater Leica X1

www.ps-photo.net
On instagram

Old 07-28-2015   #5
tonal1

Thanks for the recommendations. I think it's probably time for me to invest in a "professional" level display. I'm looking at the EIZO and NEC options listed above. Time to get some consistency in my photo editing life!!

Old 08-05-2015   #6
2WK
Rangefinder User

Same boat...

I was initially thinking new retina iMac, but now I'm thinkning Eizo CG277 and either an older Mac Pro or a (gasp) PC.

Old 08-08-2015   #7
tonal1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WK View Post
Same boat...

I was initially thinking new retina iMac, but now I'm thinkning Eizo CG277 and either an older Mac Pro or a (gasp) PC.
This Eizo CG277 looks fantastic, highly rated, etc. But at $2350, what separates it from the $900-1500 Eizo and NEC varieties which also look very good? Are we talking about a higher level of color accuracy, or something else?

p.s. I desperately need accurate color. But, truth be told, 90% of what I work with is B&W.