Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Hardware / Computers / Drives / etc

Hardware / Computers / Drives / etc This is the place to discuss the hardware to keep your digital pics more than just memories.

Any recommendations for a display calibration device?
Old 08-17-2015   #1
John E Earley
Tuol Sleng S21-0174

Any recommendations for a display calibration device?

Until recently I've been getting my printing done by a lab. That worked fairly well as long as I didn't need anything rush and was willing to occasionally have an image reprinted due to "quality' issues. So I finally broke down and purchased a new color photo printer (Epson P600) so I could have better control over the final product. One thing that I think I'll need to do to make that work is to calibrate my computer display.

So, any recommendations for a display calibration tool? I am considering the Datacolor Spyder5Pro but would like some input from anyone with experience.

Old 08-17-2015   #2
x-ray

I have an older Spyder and it's excellent and use it on my MacBook pro. For my work monitor which is a Lacie 724, I use the Lacie calibrator that came with it. I don't think they're made anymore. My brother uses a ColorMunki and it does an excellent job.

Old 08-17-2015   #3
Timmyjoe

I used an X-Rite i1 Display 2 for years, until Apple came out with Yosemite and made sure the calibrater wouldn't work with it (Apple's becoming more like Microsoft every day).

Anyway, I now use an X-Rite i1 Display Pro and am happy with the results.

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 08-17-2015   #4
x-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
I used an X-Rite i1 Display 2 for years, until Apple came out with Yosemite and made sure the calibrater wouldn't work with it (Apple's becoming more like Microsoft every day).

Anyway, I now use an X-Rite i1 Display Pro and am happy with the results.
Don't you just love Apple! That's why I'm still on Lion. Didn't want to replace my Wacom and calibrator.

Old 08-17-2015   #5
Wenge

Am very happy w/Spyder express version (the cheapest). Works real good, accurate colors, easy to use. (I turn off all the lights while it calibrates, which only takes a couple minutes.)

Old 08-17-2015   #6
YYV_146

The difference between the spyder5 versions is only the firmware. You can use a third-party calibration software and achieve consistently better results with any of the versions. I'd go with the cheapest express version and use something like DispcalGUI for the software.

Sony A7rII Kolari mod

Noctilux ASPH, 35lux FLE, 50 APO ASPH, 75 APO cron, 21lux, Sony/Minolta 135mm STF

500px

Old 08-17-2015   #7
back alley
IMAGES

i use a spyder 4...pretty easy and does a good job.