Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Nikon Reduces Film Related Production
Old 01-11-2006   #1
Jason_K
Shooter

Nikon Reduces Film Related Production

Nikon U.K. has published a press release announcing that they've decided to cease manufacturing most 35mm film SLR bodies, all large-format lenses and enlarging lenses, most manual focus 35mm lenses, and related accessories.

http://www.nikon.co.uk/press_room/re...w.aspx?rid=201

"Following the success of our digital line-up over the last seven years, which has resulted in more than 95% of Nikonís UK business being within the digital area, Nikon Corporation has made the decision to focus management resources on digital cameras in place of film cameras."

Old 01-11-2006   #2
Bryan Lee
Expat Street Photographer

More doors are closing, but a few will be opened too as some of the big camera collectors die off and the lenses they hoarded up get on the real market. Is it just me or has there been a real price reduction in high qaulity 2nd hand gear. Ive gotten a couple amazing deals on large format stuff recently.

Old 01-11-2006   #3
x-ray

Used film gear in general is a super deal now. Over the past couple of years I've been buying the lenses and equipment that I always wanted. Collectable items are a different story. The old guys my age that made some money and have it to spend will pay big prices for their collectable toys. The common garden variety lenses and bodies are a bargain.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...y.php?cat=5045

Old 01-11-2006   #4
Dave H

Quote from Nikon, "In recognition of Nikonís commitment to professional photographers we will continue to manufacturer and sell the F6"

Hmmmm, that statement must of come from the same school of business that most Leica execs went to

Old 01-11-2006   #5
Rob
rangefinder camera magnet

Bet Canon will follow now. They really have too many film models anyway. Bet they keep only the EOS1 for pros, EOS3 for advanced users and one Rebel film body. Thats enough.
That will free up assembly lines/people for digital bodies where they are making the most money.

Old 01-11-2006   #6
ch1

Interesting. No parallel news release on Nikon USA site yet. Imagine it's coming.

This is not surprising. Pre-Christmas I picked up a N-75 (F-75 outside of North America) for my wife for a near "giveaway" price. I figured it was a signal that Nikon was exiting most of film camera business.

So they keep one manual (made by Cosina, I think) and the top of line F-6 and stop selling the plastic bodies. This is kind of like the old days when they only had the Nikon F-1 and the Nikkormat FTN.

As to the lenses - as effects the 35mm side - seems they're keeping the nmanual primes and ending production of the manual zooms. Not surprising.

Overall, perhaps this move is part of the whole ZF thing we keep waiting to hear about?

Old 01-11-2006   #7
Taipei-metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_K
Nikon U.K. has published a press release announcing that they've decided to cease manufacturing most 35mm film SLR bodies, all large-format lenses and enlarging lenses, most manual focus 35mm lenses, and related accessories.

http://www.nikon.co.uk/press_room/re...w.aspx?rid=201

"Following the success of our digital line-up over the last seven years, which has resulted in more than 95% of Nikonís UK business being within the digital area, Nikon Corporation has made the decision to focus management resources on digital cameras in place of film cameras."
News of yesterday, 1-11-06.

Nikon cut all film cameras production, except F6 and FM-10 (a Cosina, Canon Museum excluded T-60 as a Canon product ).

9 Kikkor Ai-S will continuted to be produce until "futher notice", the 28 2.8 Ai-S is among them,...wheew...my favorite Nikkor...

Old 01-11-2006   #8
Brian Sweeney

Not unexpected. Their competition is the used market. Nikon lenses made in '59 can be adapted to modern cameras. The deals on used equipment is hard to compete with: KEH has BGN grade F3HP's as low as $126!

Old 01-11-2006   #9
sf

well, that news should have some impact - accelerating - on the demise of film.

Old 01-11-2006   #10
ch1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Sweeney
Not unexpected. Their competition is the used market. Nikon lenses made in '59 can be adapted to modern cameras. The deals on used equipment is hard to compete with: KEH has BGN grade F3HP's as low as $126!
Good points, Brian.

I didn't go quite as low as $126, but I recently picked up another F3HP from a reputable eBay dealer and want to get a third (the curse/pleasure of three scattered residences!). At the prices these are available - I'm surprised that Nikon (w/Cosina) can make any money on the FM10.

As to the other Nikon film gear - it was evident that they were dodo birds. Funny thing is that my wife's N75 is almost a digital hybrid. While it uses film, in many ways if functions like a digital. I realized this when I looked at the LCD display and realized that the film counter works "downward". With 36exp film, the counter starts at 36 and counts down to 1 and then E! I told her this was the first time I ever saw a film camera do that.

Any idea if the F6 does this? I know the F5 counts up like one would expect.

Regards,
George

Old 01-11-2006   #11
r-brian

I was in my local camera store on Christmas Eve (I once worked there for a short while) and asked the guys when they sold a film camera last. They thought about it for a minute and finally replied "I did sell a used SLR last month." I guess that kind of says it all. No sense making them if you don't sell them

Brian

Old 01-11-2006   #12
GeneW

No surprise at all. There are plenty of excellent used cameras and lenses on the market to supply the film-photography market. New ones must be a tough sell.

Gene

Old 01-11-2006   #13
Socke

Quote:
Originally Posted by copake_ham
Funny thing is that my wife's N75 is almost a digital hybrid. While it uses film, in many ways if functions like a digital. I realized this when I looked at the LCD display and realized that the film counter works "downward". With 36exp film, the counter starts at 36 and counts down to 1 and then E!

As far as I know, that's something which came from APS to 135. When you load film it is spooled from the cartridge to the taking spool and then spooled back to the cartridge while you shoot. Nice thing if you open the back when you think there is no film in it .

I've seen this first on a friends Canon EOS 300, the film one, and found out about the APS heritage later.

Old 01-11-2006   #14
taffer
void

Hmm, let's see. 2006 and I've just started with Nikon F2s. I guess when I get to the F6 I won't be able to carry any camera heavier than a Minox.

Old 01-11-2006   #15
GeneW

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffer
Hmm, let's see. 2006 and I've just started with Nikon F2s. I guess when I get to the F6 I won't be able to carry any camera heavier than a Minox.

Being a bit older than you, I've just started with F3's ...

Gene