Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Yashica RF

Yashica RF For all Yashica Rangefinder cameras, whether fixed lens or classic Leica Screw Mount !

Lynx 5000 lens VS GSN lens?
Old 01-23-2006   #1
Rob
rangefinder camera magnet

Lynx 5000 lens VS GSN lens?

Due to the near instant shutter release on the 5000 model vs the long throw of the GSN shutter button, I might want to get a 5000 model. I also like the fact that no battery is needed except for the meter. It has a Yashinon 1.8 lens vs the 1.7 Yashinon of the GSN. Has anyone shot them both? I found the GSNs I have had were very sharp, colorful and contrasty, even wide open,how about the 1.8 lens? Thanks.
Rob

Old 01-23-2006   #2
Frank Granovski

I've only seen a broken Lynx, but I quite liked it. You can check up on it here:

http://www.yashica-guy.com

Old 01-24-2006   #3
pshinkaw
Trying to get it right

I use both. I can't really tell the difference between the lenses. I too like the "no batteries needed" option on the Lynx, plus the full manual operation of the Lynx is something I prefer to the all automatic GSN.

-Paul

Old 01-24-2006   #4
jan normandale
Film is the other way

I've got both a GSN and a Lynx 14. The Lynx is a great deal like the 5000. I cannot comment on the 1.8 lens of the 5000. My chief use of the Lynx is low light situations, handheld with exposures not less than 1/30th taking advantage of the 1.4 lens. The GSN lens is a 1.7 and not quite as fast and in low light may run an exposure longer than 1/30th so I get blur. If you are doing street shooting or clubs or low light indoors the 5000 might be better because it does not have the fully auto exposure feature of the GSN.

Good luck

it's all about light

Old 01-25-2006   #5
RichardS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Due to the near instant shutter release on the 5000 model vs the long throw of the GSN shutter button, I might want to get a 5000 model. I also like the fact that no battery is needed except for the meter. It has a Yashinon 1.8 lens vs the 1.7 Yashinon of the GSN. Has anyone shot them both? I found the GSNs I have had were very sharp, colorful and contrasty, even wide open,how about the 1.8 lens? Thanks.
Rob

I have both and I doubt if you will see any difference in the results from the two lenses. I prefer the Lynx because it gives the photographer complete control over the lens and shutter settings.

Dick