Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

How low can you go?
Old 02-05-2006   #1
lushd
Donald

How low can you go?

One of the joys of rangefinder photography is that we have access to very good quality gear at very attractive prices as well as the most expensive cameras and lenses ever made. I have a challenge for you.

Just how little can you spend on an outfit?

I want hear from you about your cheapest gear. Here's the test:

What did you spend on a 35mm rangefinder body, 50mm, 35mm (or 28mm) and 135mm (or 90mm) lens? Everything had to be working when you got it and acquired reasonably legally (at least you shouldn't have got caught yet). Inherited and given gear doesn't count.

The person with the cheapest outfit gets glory but no prize, I'm afraid. There will be extra glory for included bonuses (multi finders, leather cases etc) that were thrown in with anything that you bought.

Also, post photos from or of your cheap outfits. My 4k features in my gallery quite a bit.

To get us started here's mine:

Zorki 4k with case, box and instruction manual in mint condition = 24
Jupiter 12 = 19 in Jessops sale
Jupiter 9 = 35 also in Jessops sale

That makes 73 for a lifetime of high quality photography, which is pretty cool, I think.

I also got a Leningrad 2 meter for 2 in Cash Convertors in perfect working order.

Can anyone prove they got a Leica for 5?

My Blog
My gallery

Old 02-05-2006   #2
Frank Granovski

I see we have another Dr. Who fan here.

I had a Vitomatic 11 for years and years and I loved it's 50mm fixed lens.

Old 02-05-2006   #3
lushd
Donald

Yes - I am hoping he will take me back to 1973 or therabouts so I can scoop up some gear at a cheap price.

How much was the Vitomatic? I sense a bargain!

My Blog
My gallery

Old 02-05-2006   #4
back alley
IMAGES

i paid 10 bucks for this.

of course it didn't look this good till g'man worked his magic on it.

joe

Old 02-05-2006   #5
lushd
Donald

$10 - a bargain! Congratulations. Still looking for that 5 Leica!

My Blog
My gallery

Old 02-05-2006   #6
captainslack
Five Goats Hunter

I just have to say, lushd has one of the coolest avatars on the forum.

Old 02-05-2006   #7
kaiyen
local man of mystery

I got a Voigtlander Vitoret II DR for $3 at a camera show. Meter and RF are accurate, and photos are at:

http://www.kaiyen.com/photos/gallery...s.php?album=72

allan

Old 02-05-2006   #8
dr.kollig

Well, a 1 Smena SL and 10,50 Ricoh 800 EES ( including 1 I had to spend on batteries).

Wolfram

Old 02-05-2006   #9
cp_ste.croix
At the beginning again.

my GSN was about $15 (CAD) plus postage to Gman...

Old 02-05-2006   #10
oftheherd

I have yet to find my lowest greatest RF deal. Closest would be $25 for 4 cameras and a 400mm preset lens. Two of the cameras included Pentax SV and a Rolleiflex TLR (at least it had a RF focus on the ground glass) if that counts.

A tossup between that and a $15 for a Yashica FX 103 because the seller on the 'bay didn't know it required a battery to work (?). Purchased to mate with my $20 Zeiss T* 50mm f/1.4 because PX buyers only knew and trusted names like Nikon, Canon and Minolta. Evidently they thought the Zeiss was a cheap knockoff of some kind.

When I get my RF deal to match either one of those, be sure you will hear about it here at RFF!!

Those of you who can post RF deals here on RFF have my envy.

EDIT: Say, I just remembered, several years ago I bought a 50mm Mamiya Press lens for $50 along with an super ugly Super Press 23 body. Does that count? I still have it too. Does that get me off the hook and allow me to post here legitimately?

Old 02-05-2006   #11
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

I am, of course, out of my league. I thought $30 for a Canonet QL17 GIII that only required Goodman's lightseals was a steal (the mechanics, RF, all are spic-n-span).

But I did save $30 on my car insurance by not switching to Geico...

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 02-05-2006   #12
lushd
Donald

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainslack
I just have to say, lushd has one of the coolest avatars on the forum.
Most kind - and I never even threatened to exterminate you. Also must confess - it's my son's from his Dr Who forum (it's a cool place too - I think they'll all grow up to love rangefinders)

My Blog
My gallery

Old 02-05-2006   #13
lushd
Donald

I am beginning to feel like a blooming millionaire in such company. Keep 'em coming - I love these stories.

I am sure you are all really well acquainted with this site:

http://www.merrillphoto.com/JunkStoreCameras.htm

But if even one new person gets to see Marcy and her insanity then it was worth posting.

Zeiss - some kind of cheap knockoff - I'll be smiling for days!

My Blog
My gallery

Old 02-05-2006   #14
smiling gecko
pure dumb luck, my friend

....eeekkk!! here come the darleks...have been out of the dr who loop for too long, thanks for the mention of the good doctor...nothing to relate in bargain photo department...aarrghh!!
hasta la vista, adieu, dasvidanya,,fino al prossimo tempo, auf wiedersehen, and later yall
kenneth

"...patience and shuffle the cards" miguel cervantes
"nothing can be learned" herman hesse
"everybody knows everything" jack kerouac
"some memories are realities and better than anything" willa cather
" doo-wacka doo, wacka doo" roger miller
"we have met the enemy and they is us !" pogo

Old 02-05-2006   #15
zuikologist

Leica M2 and 50mm (I don't even remember which one) about 20 years ago, as a teenager. 30.

Old 02-05-2006   #16
RML
Just live it.

3 euro on a Canon Canonet 28 on koninginnedag last year here in Amsterdam.

Was going to replace the seals but because of the moving house we did some months ago, I misplaced the pressure plate. If anyone has a spare one that I can buy, I'd be much obliged!

Join the Rangefinder Blog/Site Ring.

Old 02-05-2006   #17
gbb
Diapers 'n Film

Well, I got re-started in real photography a few years ago when I found a couple of old Rollei TLRs for $10 at a garage sale, an Old Standard and a Cord III. Made some excellent photos w them, and have yet to slow down. Amazing what a garage sale can do to you.

Old 02-05-2006   #18
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

OK, this is about a whole kit, right? Body, 50mm, wide (28 or 35) and tele (90 or 135) ... so I guess I won't tell my story [again] about how I bought a 5cm micro-Nikkor for $1USD, gave to a friend who sold it on oBoy for $1200CDN... Nope, not going to tell that story.

Earl, ready to get a shower and head over to the thrift store....

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
And NOW ... Fuji X-Pro1 w/ 18-55, 18/2 & adapted Zuikos and Hexanons
http://zuikoholic.tumblr.com
https://www.instagram.com/e.r.dunbar/
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 02-05-2006   #19
lushd
Donald

Really glad you didn't tell me that story about your (by now ex?) friend who made 1199$ on $1 lens, I would've got depressed.

Incidentally - for anyone in the UK - have you ever (I mean ever) see an interesting camera in a charity shop? Ever?

I keep going into Oxfam in the hope that someone will have passed on and their family donated their entire collection of Leicas and lenses thinking it was a funny old fashioned set and might raise a tenner for a good cause and then I just happened to walk in and pick them up ... oh stop, this dream is too much!

My Blog
My gallery

Last edited by lushd : 02-05-2006 at 10:56.

Old 02-05-2006   #20
OpenWater

My only really, really good deal occurred years ago. My step father noted that with my Brownie Holiday Flash ($5 at the pawn shop in 1962) I brought back photo after photo from the drug store showing such interesting things as my friends lined up in front of their bicycles, their bicycles lined up in front of my friends, them going away on their bicycles, them coming back on their bicycles, etc. (No natural talent was evident.) He, on the other hand, got maybe one printable exposure per roll with his Leica IIIf - given to him by his ex-serviceman brother. He asked me if I wanted to trade. I thought this seemed like a good deal and said, yes. I've had the camera ever since. Don of DAG is now bringing it back to life for me.

PS It is the camera shown in my avatar. He threw in the case, a flash unit (a cool folding fan affair), a Norwood Director meter, and a copy of the Leica Manual - wherein one finds interesting chapters by Ansel Adams, Peter Stackpole, Alfred Eisenstadt, and others. Although my dog decided to eat the corner of the book one day, I still have it too.

Rangefinders:
Leica IIIf-Elmar 50 & 90, Yashica MG-1, Zorki 4K-J8

Last edited by OpenWater : 02-05-2006 at 11:38.

Old 02-05-2006   #21
dostacos
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lushd
One of the joys of rangefinder photography is that we have access to very good quality gear at very attractive prices as well as the most expensive cameras and lenses ever made. I have a challenge for you.

Just how little can you spend on an outfit?

I want hear from you about your cheapest gear. Here's the test:

What did you spend on a 35mm rangefinder body, 50mm, 35mm (or 28mm) and 135mm (or 90mm) lens? Everything had to be working when you got it and acquired reasonably legally (at least you shouldn't have got caught yet). Inherited and given gear doesn't count.

The person with the cheapest outfit gets glory but no prize, I'm afraid. There will be extra glory for included bonuses (multi finders, leather cases etc) that were thrown in with anything that you bought.

Also, post photos from or of your cheap outfits. My 4k features in my gallery quite a bit.

To get us started here's mine:

Zorki 4k with case, box and instruction manual in mint condition = 24
Jupiter 12 = 19 in Jessops sale
Jupiter 9 = 35 also in Jessops sale

That makes 73 for a lifetime of high quality photography, which is pretty cool, I think.

I also got a Leningrad 2 meter for 2 in Cash Convertors in perfect working order.

Can anyone prove they got a Leica for 5?

Canonet Ql 17 GIII $76 INCLUDING a trip to greyhoundman since it had no lube and no seals Got a canonet 28 for less than $60 including the CLA by greyhoundman

Old 02-05-2006   #22
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

Box-o-cameras for $31 with shipping. Inside was a Yashica MG-1 (which just needs the battery compartment cleaned out and it should be good to go), a Bosley B2 (which I sold later on), a Voigtlander Vito CLR (which I thought was around here somewhere but I can't *find* the thing), and an Argus C4 with the conversion (only the 50mm lens though and the thing doesn't work). I also got a box Brownie, the Meopta Flexaret, the two half frames (Canon Demi and Olympus Pen EE), my Bella, and the trump card of them all (even if it is worth almost nothing it turns out: a 1913 Kodak Vest Pocket. My grandfather says that my great grandparents owned one. Still works, bellows is intact and in great shape, and the shutter speeds seem on (all two of them). Seems to be nothing wrong with the lens, either. If only I could get my hands on 127 film without emptying my wallet.

I had a baby girl on December 6, 2007. Yay motherhood!

One camera. Two lenses. Three shots per week.

2008 Street Photography Project

Old 02-05-2006   #23
allthumbs

Zorki 6 w/ collapsible I-50 & case + shipping from Russia: $25.50US

It worked out of the parcel; shutter curtain #1 had some holes, but the leaks were avoidable. Eventually I just painted over the holes. So Perhaps I should add $5 for textile paint and a brush, and elbow grease and alcohol for cleaning, and working the mechanisms to smoothness.

However, once we warmed up to each other, I spent extravagantly:
silver Jupiter 12: $45 shipped
black Jupiter 8 with oily blades: $22.50 shipped
Soft shutter release+Petri tele-wide finder: $18 shipped

All of it found on the auction site.

Old 02-09-2006   #24
RJBender
RFF Sponsoring Member

$10 Minolta Hi-Matic 7S (Camera swap meet special)

R.J.

Old 02-09-2006   #25
nwcanonman

Does getting an Olympus RC with original manual for FREE count?
I still need to have the meter repaired though.

Old 02-09-2006   #26
cbass
Nutmegger

In December I found a near-mint condition black Vivitar 35 ES (Minolta Hi-Matic 7sII clone) with original case and mini bounce-flash for $90 USD. That wasn't a bad deal. The camera works perfectly and is a joy to use.

In the SLR world, last week I found an EX+ condition Minolta SR-T Super (SR-T 102) with a near-mint MC Rokkor 55/1.7 lens, original Minolta metal lens cap, a metal square Minolta lens hood, original ever-ready case and strap for a whopping $36 on evilbay.

RJ -- that's a sweet Hi-Matic 7s you got there. Probably one of the most under-rated "full-size" fixed lens RFs of all time. I've previously owned two and sold them both to my continued regret.

Jeez, can you tell I'm a Minoltite? Minoltian? Rokkorite? Once you get Minolta lust, you get it bad!

My Gallery

Old 02-09-2006   #27
agoglanian
Reconnected.

my best deal was $20 for an Olympus 35 RD at a thrift store. i had gman clean it up too. just like hes going to do to my 35 SP thats in the mail.

M-A | M10 | 500CM | P67II

Instagram. | Website.

Old 02-09-2006   #28
Rob
rangefinder camera magnet

I have found a ton of deals at flea markets and oddly enough antique malls heres just a few:
Canonet GIII, like new $0 (given to me by antique dealer)
Canonet GIII, $1 flea market, at least 7 more GIIIs never paid more than $20 for, Yashica GSNs at least 8 of them for $5 to $25, one GT for $20, one mint GTN for $45. Minolta 7s $20, Minolta 7s II $20, minolta himatic 11 $20, several canolite flashes $2-$10, Olympus 35rc $8, lots of other SLR stuff, 1 Rolleicord $45, 1 Rolleiflex 2.8 $150, many more photo items. No Leicas.

Old 02-09-2006   #29
Rob
rangefinder camera magnet

Forgot Yashica 35cc for $45 too.

Old 02-10-2006   #30
varjag
Eugene Zaikonnikov

Kiev-4A, J8M, J12, J9, J11, Helios 103, 35mm finder, universal turret finder and cable release have set me back $120 total. Not a single purchase though, and I've spent fair amount of time cleaning/adjusting things.

My Flickr

Old 02-10-2006   #31
ClaremontPhoto
Jon Claremont

I've got a 4 Rolliecord, Art Deco edition.

R.I.P. 2009

Jon

ClaremontPhoto

Box of Chocolates
A Gray Area
Panoramic
Friends & Neighbors

"I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." Noel Coward

Old 02-10-2006   #32
ZeissFan

I got a Rollei XF 35 for $7.99 at a thrift shop and a Voigtlander Vag with the excellent Voigtar lens (kidding about that part) at a flea market for $15. I also got a Retina for $20 and two half frame Olympus Pens (viewfinder models) for $40 for both.

Other than that, I'm willing to pay a little bit more for a camera that is old, diry and hasn't been tinkered with.

I got a Nikon S for about $225 or so.

Old 02-10-2006   #33
Byuphoto
Would like to upgrade

Leica M4-2 and 35mm Summicron $500 and then the same guy sold me a 50 cron for $250. Now if someone had a 90 for a couple hundred life would be good.

My Blog

Old 02-10-2006   #34
Byuphoto
Would like to upgrade

Zorki 4 and J8 $40, J12 $30 and an 85 FSU for $40
$110 total

My Blog

Old 02-10-2006   #35
ClaremontPhoto
Jon Claremont

GBP4 for a Rolliecord.

R.I.P. 2009

Jon

ClaremontPhoto

Box of Chocolates
A Gray Area
Panoramic
Friends & Neighbors

"I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." Noel Coward