Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Canonet ReSeal
Old 02-27-2006   #1
JimG
dogzen

Canonet ReSeal

Wanting to learn basic camera restoration I thought I'd start with learning how to reseal the foam in an older (mid-60's) RF. So when I found a good condition Canonet28 for $10 with bad seals I bought it. I then bought a set of seals from Jon Goodman (which come with easy to follow directions). Using Jon's directions and pre-cut seals made this an easy and enjoyable Sunday afternoon project. It's a shame that there are allot of great RF's out there not being used for lack of this simple repair.

Ten Best: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...y.php?cat=7101

Old 02-27-2006   #2
Rob
rangefinder camera magnet

Yup, his seal kits are great. I have done about 5 canonets. I expect that Jon is singlehandedly helping to put old RFs and SLRs back in use again with his kits
that he sells here and on Ebay.

Old 02-27-2006   #3
filmgoerjuan

I have four Canonets and only one has had the seals fully replaced; however, none of them have exhibited any light leaks or other issues due to messy seals.

I'm going to get around to replacing them soon, but it mostly to avoid any sticky black residue making its way into other parts of the camera rather than because it *has* to be done.

Old 02-27-2006   #4
Kim Coxon

You are on the slippery slope now!

Old 02-27-2006   #5
JimG
dogzen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Coxon
You are on the slippery slope now!
Thanks' for the warning Kim. I now have a Minolta 7's I got from Goodwill ($8.50) ready for some repair. Who knows how far I can slide down that slope.

Old 02-27-2006   #6
filmgoerjuan

I'd actually be quite interested in hearing about/seeing photos of a Minolta 7s disassembly. I have one in immaculate condition with the sole exception of sticky shutter blades. I've heard that the lens is tricky to disassemble to get access to the blades, so any advice or warning you could give would be invaluable.

Cheers!

Old 02-27-2006   #7
JimG
dogzen

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmgoerjuan
I'd actually be quite interested in hearing about/seeing photos of a Minolta 7s disassembly. I have one in immaculate condition with the sole exception of sticky shutter blades. I've heard that the lens is tricky to disassemble to get access to the blades, so any advice or warning you could give would be invaluable.

Cheers!
I'm having little success finding useable information about the 7's. Cannons are easy probably as they old sold the Minoltas by quite a bit.

Old 02-28-2006   #8
RML
Just live it.

I replaced the seals on my Canonet 28 and posted _my experiences_ on my blog. I can heartily recommend those seals!

Join the Rangefinder Blog/Site Ring.

Old 02-28-2006   #9
dmr
Registered Abuser

I would add a recommendation for Jon's seal kit. The pieces were all cut to fit and everything went back in very smoothly.

The worst part of the job, however, was getting the remains of the old seals out. That was a mess!