Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Rant: Why I Hate Living in a Small Town.
Old 03-19-2006   #1
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

Rant: Why I Hate Living in a Small Town.

There's no flipping E-6 processing for 70 miles!

I decided to take some sunrise shots because, lo and behold, I go upstairs to get coffee and find these INCREDIBLE pink and orange colors staring me right in the face. So, naturally, I pick up the roll of Kodak Elite Chrome 400 that I have sitting around, load it in the camera, and shoot it. Now I have to either wait until I order the mailers to get it developed or go to Des Moines to the closest lab with same day turnaround for E-6.

What would this particular film do if I had someone dunk it in C-41 chemicals, I wonder. And, really, with how gorgeous these colors are, do I want to know?

So yeah. Bah. This sucks. It'll be a week or so before you guys can see them, probably at the earliest.

I had a baby girl on December 6, 2007. Yay motherhood!

One camera. Two lenses. Three shots per week.

2008 Street Photography Project

Old 03-19-2006   #2
Wayne R. Scott
Half fast Leica User

Steph,

I don't think you would want to cross-process sunrise E-6 shots. Although it might give you some really odd color combinations.

Buy a few E-6 mailers and have patience little one.

Wayne
One's skill is never complete, one's knowledge is forever lacking, one's taste is invariably altered, one's opinion ever subject to controversy. There is a complete and constant urge toward improvement...
-Andrew Loomis.

"Good Judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

Last edited by Wayne R. Scott : 03-19-2006 at 03:42.

Old 03-19-2006   #3
pbjbike

I send mine to Fuji ans it's worth the wait. Anticipation will improve the colors.

Old 03-19-2006   #4
jonasv
has no mustache

Move to a bigger city, start your own E-6 lab, or use color negative film

or just have a bit of patience! I wouldn't try developing it in c41 that's for sure..

Old 03-19-2006   #5
Michael I.

I know how you feel I live in a small country (Israel) in a large but backward city(Beer Sheba). The city is poor and uneducated allthough it has one of the biggest universities in the country(90% of students come from other cities and move after their finished their degree) and still we have one of the highest city taxes in the country.

It is impossible to get decent scans and 120 film(or 120 c-41 color proccessed or scanned). BW film is scarce and overpriced(7-8$ A ROLL) chemicals are unavailable.
A lab near my house does hand developing for e-6 though.

I have to drive for 1.5 hours to Tel Aviv and for another hour or two in the city to get bw film in bulk chemicals etc.

Old 03-19-2006   #6
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

I'm just frustrated. Beautiful shots and nowhere to get them processed. I suppose it's time to finally do one of two things: order mailers from B&H or order chemicals to do it myself.

Old 03-19-2006   #7
George S.
How many is enough?

You could also get a digital SLR....

Old 03-19-2006   #8
FrankG

I guess that the USA is getting out of film faster than Canada.

Old 03-19-2006   #9
Kim Coxon

E6 processing is very straight forward as long as you are careful with temperature. Can be a bit expensive if you don't do it in batches which rather defeats the object of speed.

Kim

Old 03-19-2006   #10
Michael I.

OT:lou reed has a good song "when you live in a small town"

Old 03-19-2006   #11
FrankG

The old Lou Reed band played with Alice Cooper's, "Welcome to my Nightmare," gigs. Excellent band. I saw them both way back when I was just a youngin'.

Old 03-19-2006   #12
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Coxon
E6 processing is very straight forward as long as you are careful with temperature. Can be a bit expensive if you don't do it in batches which rather defeats the object of speed.

Kim
Yeah, which is actually why I was avoiding it. I don't shoot that much in color positive...it wouldn't be economical for me to do it myself. If I started shooting more, though...

Old 03-19-2006   #13
Michael I.

by the old lou reed band you dont mean the velvet underground?

Old 03-19-2006   #14
Michael I.

it might be economical if you bulk load

Last edited by Michael I. : 03-19-2006 at 04:11.

Old 03-19-2006   #15
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

I'm be afraid to bulk load slide film. It's expensive and I don't shoot enough to warrant it. The reason I got the few rolls I have is that they were cheap and expired.

I'll just order some mailers for the next rolls...these may be going through 59 Minute Photo in Fort Dodge to Whoever Does E-6 there.

Old 03-19-2006   #16
al1966
Feed Your Head

No it wasnt the Velvets, but you know Lou shoots a leica?

http://jamesagrady.blog.com/
http://randompicture.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 03-19-2006   #17
jano
Evil Bokeh

I cross processed some expired fuji velveeta film in c41, and had interesting results. I lost a lot of the wonderful colors in the sunset. Posted to my gallery here, but got few views and comments, so I guess people didn't really like them *shrug* I still have a few rolls of kodak e100vs which I'd like to try cross processed, too, wonder what different kinds of colors I'll get.

i.e. if you want to see the colors, then don't x-p -- unless you have sort of an idea how the kodak film will turn out.

Old 03-19-2006   #18
tedwhite

You could shoot with black and white and a red filter. Clouds would be a nice touch.

rangefinder forum gallery

Old 03-19-2006   #19
Kim Coxon

I have never lived in a small town. The largest I have managed is a small villiage. For 10 years in Scotland, it was an isolated cottage near the banks of the Spey. Life is wonderful!!

Kim

Old 03-19-2006   #20
yossarian
-

There are small towns and there are "small towns". I live in Brevard County, FL, which is an amalgamation of pissant towns trying to become important. Where I
live, Merritt Island, is unincorporated, for which I am grateful. A new restaurant was
just completed in what had been the main parking lot of Merritt Square Mall--A TGI
Fridays. New? Fridays? We're talkin' the f***king '80s here.
It gets better. North of the town of Cape Canaveral, near the port, there was a land
fill for several years, which smelled like a mixture of sour milk and rotting fish. On
that very site now are "Luxury Condominiums". I wonder if the developers will
remember to mention the land fill in their sales brochures.
Stephanie, we launch Department of Defense spy satellites, communication satellites,
and of course the Space Shuttle, when we can keep them intact. But I have to drive
30 miles to get E6 done.
All things considered, which is really crazier--your 70 or my 30?

Fred

Old 03-19-2006   #21
trittium

You could process your own e6. Here is the kit

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

The chems last 2 weeks, they aren't too too nasty. The only catch is you need a good thermometer and a big sink. The chems, tank, and film, must be 38+/- 1 degrees celcius during the whole processing. It is a little chaotic the first few times, but one you get the motions down, it is just as easy as black and white. The only problem you will have with being in a small town is chemical disposal.

If you want to see some of my photos you can go to http://flickr.com/photos/trittium/

Some Digital Art Here
http://flickr.com/photos/tri77ium/

M2, Hexar RF, Leica IIIC, Leica IIIf RD ST, Leica IIF RD too many lenes
Mamiya 6 folder, Certo Dolly Super Sport RF
Voigtlander Alpin, Calumet 4x5, Robot Star 50, Robot II, Robot Star, oh yeah and a crappy minolta digital camera

Old 03-19-2006   #22
ywenz

plus, it sucks because there's nothing to take pictures of.

Old 03-19-2006   #23
Michael I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1966
No it wasnt the Velvets, but you know Lou shoots a leica?

I know he has a picture holding a scre mount pentax - and in one of teh articles i read about warhol and the velvet underground someone says "and then I took lou's pentax"

I also know that George Harrison was often seen with a pentax (sv?) in the heydays of tyeh beatles(his camera is used by ringo in a long days night)

Old 03-19-2006   #24
flipflop

Po-DunK Tallahassee Florida...the states capital...I have no clue how that happend. We have 1 pro lab here who do a pretty good job. A little expensive but at least the negs/slides are clean.
7.00 bucks a roll for slides.

Old 03-19-2006   #25
cp_ste.croix
At the beginning again.

you know...I live in a major city and i'm sure that most of the labs here send slide film away to the next province for processing. I'm not sure why though...

Mailers are your friend. Treat the delay as a winnograndian break from your chromes so that you might approach them with some detachment Of course, I tend to forget what I've taken photos of at times.

Old 03-19-2006   #26
BrianShaw
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflop
Po-DunK Tallahassee Florida...the states capital...I have no clue how that happend. We have 1 pro lab here who do a pretty good job. A little expensive but at least the negs/slides are clean.
7.00 bucks a roll for slides.
"Po-dunk" Los Angeles CA... the nation's film capital. We have lots of pro-labs but the best one in my area takes 7 - 10 working days for anything 'film'. "Everyone (except for you) has gone digital", they say. A lot slow, but at least the quality is good.

Moral of the story: patience is a virtue. Now... why is the RFF so darned slow sometimes

Old 03-19-2006   #27
captainslack
Five Goats Hunter

Michael I: The song is called "Smalltown" and it's off an album he did with John Cale called Songs for Drella. It was a tribute to Andy Warhol.

I grew up in a small (very, very, VERY small) town and that song pretty much sums up my feels toward it. The last verse especially so:

When you’re growing up in a small town
You know you’ll grow down in a small town
There is only one good use for a small town:

You hate it and you’ll know you have to leave

Stephanie: Do yourself a favor: MOVE!!! Go to Des Moines or someplace. You'll be happier in the long run.

Old 03-19-2006   #28
tedwhite

Generally speaking, it seems that if you're young big cities are where you want to be. Exciting, the best career opportunities, museums, galleries, the Theatre, universities, etc.

However, when you hit fifty, you wake up one morning, stare woefully out the window into a smog-laden drizzle, prepare to face a one-hour snail-paced commute, and think, I gotta get outa here and smell some roses.

At that stage in life, the small town seems suddenly attractive.

rangefinder forum gallery

Old 03-19-2006   #29
BrianShaw
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedwhite
Generally speaking, it seems that if you're young big cities are where you want to be. Exciting, the best career opportunities, museums, galleries, the Theatre, universities, etc.

However, when you hit fifty, you wake up one morning, stare woefully out the window into a smog-laden drizzle, prepare to face a one-hour snail-paced commute, and think, I gotta get outa here and smell some roses.

I just turned 50... and you're quite right! Unfortuately I'm married to a younger woman - by the time she has the same realization I'll probably be so old I won't want to move. Sometimes being stuck in a big city is no better than being stuck in a small town!

Old 03-19-2006   #30
sychan

Quote:
Originally Posted by George S.
You could also get a digital SLR....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCaulay
Wash your mouth out!
Yeah, you don't need a DSLR. Even a good quality digital P&S. Just to keep up the whole retro appeal, maybe get something out of production like an Konica-Minolta

Old 03-19-2006   #31
grizzz
Griz...

It's funny how we always want what we don't have available. I have e6 same day in a building right next door to my local pub (and yes that is nice). I also spend as much as 10 hours a week in my car and I don't use my car for work ( and I put less than 100 miles on it a week). I'd love to live in a small town but can't seem to find work there. Evey time I visit my family in Florida I swear I'm not going back. GAS attacks make me work though ...... Tis life I guess...

Old 03-19-2006   #32
Rob
rangefinder camera magnet

In the good old days I could walk across the 4 lane road from my office and get pro lab 2 hour E6 processing. Then they moved, then I moved offices. Then they quit doing E6. So I started doing more digital. Now I have to drive 20 miles round trip to get 3 day service...
Mailers are cheap, but so slow you will forget what in the heck was on those rolls so its kinda like christmas when you get them back not knowing what they are.

Old 03-19-2006   #33
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

I like instant gratification and I also like anticipation. What's a guy to do? Think of mailers as chrome foreplay.

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
And NOW ... Fuji X-Pro1 w/ 18-55, 18/2 & adapted Zuikos and Hexanons
http://zuikoholic.tumblr.com
https://www.instagram.com/e.r.dunbar/
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 03-19-2006   #34
Stephanie Brim
Mental Experimental.

I'll be moving next year...I'm not going to attempt it until then. I'm going to try my damnedest to get into the photography program at Hawkeye Tech...which means I'll be living in Waterloo...Water Falls...Cedar Loo...er...well, that place over there. Not in the dorms, though. I'm hoping to find myself a job and a place in the year and a half or so I have before I'd start school. I'm only not starting this year because I'm pretty sure I couldn't get in yet and I really don't want to uproot myself *that* fast.

Old 03-19-2006   #35
yossarian
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trius
I like instant gratification and I also like anticipation. What's a guy to do? Think of mailers as chrome foreplay.
As much as I enjoy foreplay, I don't have the stamina to make it for 14 days. If Fuji
just had ONE east coast lab...

And as for small towns, I love them, but nobody will allow them to remain small.
Invariably Mall Wart has to slither in and ruin everything.

Fred

Old 03-19-2006   #36
dazedgonebye

Phoenix is no small town and I'd have to drive 30 miles or so...in cross town traffic...during banker's hours...to get to a lab that does E6. Hell, it's the same story for black and white. Yes, I know I should just do that myself.

"And I know now that the cure for my childhood was not to be looked after, as I once believed; it was to look after someone else." ~Philip Norman

Photography Blog
Flickr
Twitter

Old 03-19-2006   #37
Scarpia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedwhite

I am well past 50 and retired and spend most of the summer and fall in a small town, the rest of the time in New york City. Frankly, after smelling the roses for three months I get hay fever. I love the big city although getting away now and then is nice. My wife loves gardening but the only thing that attracts me are the photo opportunities and the lack of NYC heat waves.
Kurt M.