Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Which rangefinders have the...?
Old 03-24-2006   #1
Nearsighted
RFF-aholic

Which rangefinders have the...?

Which RFs are the easiest to focus and have the largest and brightest RF patches? I'm getting more visually challenged as I get on in years. I find my Yashica GS to be a breeze to focus and see the RF compaired to my Bessa R. G'man worked it over and the view finder was a mess. I didn't even realize how bad it was untill I got the camera back from him. It's like night and day. I also like the focus throw of the GS. Any suggestions appreciated.

Old 03-24-2006   #2
Brian Sweeney

I find the Leica M3, after a CLA, to be the best of the bunch. The high-mag finder also helps me out with focus.

The Yashica GT has a bright RF spot, but the overall finder is darker than the M3. I also popped the top and cleaned the GT finder before selling it. It was like night and day to get the haze out.

Old 03-24-2006   #3
JoeFriday
Agent Provacateur

my M3 is great, also.. and very easy to work with my tabbed 50/2 summicron

my QL17 GIII is nearly as good.. not quite as bright, but quicker to focus due to the focusing tab and short radius from 1m to infinity

"I asked the doctor to take your picture so I could look at you from inside as well" ~the Vapors

Do you flickr?

Old 03-24-2006   #4
ErnestoJL

I don´t know why, but most of the Yashicas I´ve seen had the poorest VFs before being properly cleaned of dirt and haze. Of course a proper cleaning does miracles and they recover their original transparency.

From the high side (pricewise) I second Brian´s opinion, the M3 is perhaps the best I´ve ever seen, and besides it has a mag of 0.91 which makes it more attractive. For Us (who get older and need glasses to read decently), good contrast between VF and RF patch as well as a VF closer to a 1:1 ratio, IMO is the best.

In the low side, the "old" Canonet QL19 and the Mamiya Super Deluxe have very good VFs (for my taste), it is good contrast (not as good as the M3), but far better than others. Unfortunately they have fixed lens.

Ernesto

Old 03-24-2006   #5
Rob
rangefinder camera magnet

The Konica Auto S2 as I recall had a big easy to use finder too.

Old 03-25-2006   #6
Brian Sweeney

Yes. Yes, you recall correctly. That S2 has a big, clear viewfinder with framelines that change size with distance to compensate for change in effective focal length. It is one of the only RF's to do this.

Old 03-25-2006   #7
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

I like the Zorki 3m viewfinder! I think it's the best of the FSU cameras and as good (or better) than any of my other RF cameras except for mt Bessa R.
Rob

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Old 03-25-2006   #8
Mister_Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestoJL
I don´t know why, but most of the Yashicas I´ve seen had the poorest VFs before being properly cleaned of dirt and haze. Of course a proper cleaning does miracles and they recover their original transparency.
The foam used as light seald in the Yashicas outgasses as it decomposes. The decompostion products gunk up the VF. I've opened up 40 year old FSU rangefinders that still had beautifully clear VFs and found... black paper. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the most durable.

My Gallery

Old 03-25-2006   #9
Fedzilla_Bob
man with cat

Speaking of which (decomposed foam) That is exactly what I suspect Icleaned lots of out of the top compartment of my Electro 35"professional."

Greyhoundman! How are you? I looked back through some of your oldthreads on Canon and Yashica fixes and as a result I'm feeling braverabout DIY.

Bob H
I'm a goin fishing, yes I'm goin fishing
and my Baby goin fishing, too

Taj Mahall

My Gallery

Last edited by Fedzilla_Bob : 03-26-2006 at 22:37.

Old 03-26-2006   #10
pvdhaar
Zoom with your feet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearsighted
Which RFs are the easiest to focus and have the largest and brightest RF patches? I'm getting more visually challenged as I get on in years. I find my Yashica GS to be a breeze to focus and see the RF compaired to my Bessa R. G'man worked it over and the view finder was a mess. I didn't even realize how bad it was untill I got the camera back from him. It's like night and day. I also like the focus throw of the GS. Any suggestions appreciated.
For easy focussing, I doubt that anything can trump the Bessa-T. The RF magnification is 1.5x with a built in diopter from +2 to -2. There's no long and/or fast lens that this puppy can't handle.

The only drawbacks are the close focus coupling of 0.9m (3ft) and that this magnification comes at the expense of a separate RF and viewfinder. But then again, you get to choose your own viewfinder to match your taste..

Peter

My Hexländer Gallery

Leica
Old 03-27-2006   #11
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Cool Leica

But I love my R3A

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos