Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

OT: Modern Polaroids?
Old 05-05-2006   #1
pcfranchina

OT: Modern Polaroids?

A coworker had just picked up this camera for there kid.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Are these modern Polaroid 600 any good? Worth playing around with? Looks like it was made pretty cool but with a plastic lens.....

Old 05-06-2006   #2
boarini2003
-

I have a simlar model. They're really fun. Mine does have a plastic lens, but it doesn't really matter since the image is so small anyway.

Old 05-07-2006   #3
jonasv
has no mustache

as boarini says, the quality of the lens is good enough since the image is so small anyway... I really love mine but rarely use it because, especially in Europe, polaroid film is too expensive to use often at 1,5 per shot.

some examples..

Nice
Old 05-07-2006   #4
pcfranchina

Nice

Nice examples.... Images like that make me want to go and get one.

Old 05-07-2006   #5
danielnorton
Daniel Norton

I love the color of polaroids!

a polaroid 600 was my first camera and got me hooked on photography for life

I think to get shots like some of the ones posted you may need to also invest in a close up adapter.

Also, if you can find one, the sx-70 cameras are SLRs which is great for close-up work.

Man! now I have to dig out my Polaroids again

Daniel

My site

Old 05-10-2006   #6
adam9er7

Hello
That Polaroid One600 Job Pro Instant Camera seems like it could be fun, did you get it?
Anyone else have any experience with it? or anything like it?

Roly-poly
Old 05-10-2006   #7
MikeyGaGa

Roly-poly

The Polaroid 680 AF was a landmark camera,as was the SX-70,a real break away from the previous technology of the Colorpack series.

600 film,as well as the later Spectra film is widely available in department stores.

Even the cheapest 600,which can be picked up in thrift stores for $5 is an able picture-taker. I take polaroid flime along with me when i visit thrift stores to check on camera working condition;at $1 a shot its cheap assurance that you have a working camera.

One has to get to know the characteristics of the FILM as well as the camera;the brightness range Polaroid film can record is limited,so high contrast scenes sometimes are unpleasantly contrasty. Portraits taken in diffused light are beautiful-the problem here is getting enough separation between the subject and the background. A dark haired person will merge into a dark background in an unpleasant way. A small flash tripped by a remote sensor aimed at the background can make all the difference.

BTW-The Colorpack cameras had several innovations worth noting-Zeiss Ikon rangefinders on the pricey models like the 360,ans a shutter which was a direct offshoot of our beloved Yashica Electro!

MikeyGaGa

Its good to take a small polaroid camera along when photographing strangers-giveaway pix are good ice breakers.

Old 05-10-2006   #8
pcfranchina

I have not picked one up but i am thinking about it. I had seen that job camera at 17th street photo for $35.00. Its the same as the basic 600s except its kinds rubberized.

Old 05-10-2006   #9
bmattock

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble here, but you are aware that many types of Polaroid film have been discontinued, right?

Polaroid was bankrupt for nearly a decade and finally found a buyer - Petterman Group. Petterman is a 'marketer' of brands, not a camera company. Polaroid is just another brand, and it is run/managed/sold like one.

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from having fun - just saying that you might want to check film availability before buying cameras.

For those who might be too young to remember, there were a number of "Polaroid Alternative Photographers" who made their mark by creatively squeezing, crushing, and otherwise torturing the instant film and mushing up the chemical packets intentionally and specificially to create cool effects. Not unlike cross-processing, but with more LSD-like results. It was quite the little mid-70's escapade.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

http://www.polaroid.com/sx70/en/index.html

Quote:
Please be advised that Polaroid will be discontinuing the manufacture of its SX-70 / Time-Zero film within the first 3 months of 2006 due to the phasing out of components used in the production of this film.

We realise that this is disappointing news for our loyal SX-70 users and we would like to underline that, although the circumstances made it inevitable, it was not an easy decision.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience.

For customers who would like to continue using their SX-70 camera, we can offer some film alternatives below. However, we do appreciate that these films do not offer the same characteristics as SX-70 / Time-Zero film.

Old 05-10-2006   #10
pcfranchina

The camera i was looking at shot 600 film. Will that be around for a bit?

Old 05-10-2006   #11
bmattock

Going to the Polaroid website, the only information I see on film being recently discontinued is 665 film and Time Zero. I see nothing about 600 being discontinued. That does not mean it will be around for any length of time, it just means it has not been discontinued.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Old 05-10-2006   #12
pcfranchina

...and at the price of the film is it even worth it?

Old 05-10-2006   #13
Evgeny S
KMZ rules!

I was lucky and bought the last available in Russia 20 cassettes of Time-Zero film for my SX-70 camera. I'm going to do the so-called "Polaroid manipulations" with this film and get something like painted picture, e.g. Beach Umbrellas.

Old 05-10-2006   #14
o0dano0o
the best times are random

Polaroid manipulations are a blast to do! For me, they skirt a grey area between photography and painting or etching, and I find them to be very calming and rewarding. As far as costs are concerned, film does cost a bit, about a buck a shot, but you get more into the "large format mindset" i usally only take a shot or 2 and then work on them for an hour or more. It's true that the sx70 film is changing, but I believe I read that it will still be able to be manipulated, given certain time/temp constraints.

You can see some that I have done here if you are curious.

Old 05-10-2006   #15
MikeyGaGa

Yo,Don Guapo,
re your quote from Polaroid:
What ARE the alternatives?

MikeyGaGa

Old 05-10-2006   #16
bmattock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyGaGa
Yo,Don Guapo,
re your quote from Polaroid:
What ARE the alternatives?

MikeyGaGa
Follow the link, Luke...the Force will reveal all....

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Old 05-10-2006   #17
Wayne R. Scott
Half fast Leica User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattock
Going to the Polaroid website, the only information I see on film being recently discontinued is 665 film and Time Zero. I see nothing about 600 being discontinued. That does not mean it will be around for any length of time, it just means it has not been discontinued.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Bill,

Where do you see that 665 film is being discontinued? I do not see it mentioned as dicontinued on the Polaroid site.

Wayne
One's skill is never complete, one's knowledge is forever lacking, one's taste is invariably altered, one's opinion ever subject to controversy. There is a complete and constant urge toward improvement...
-Andrew Loomis.

"Good Judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

Old 05-10-2006   #18
Wayne R. Scott
Half fast Leica User

I have a couple of Polaroid Model 250's that use 665 film. I think the most I have paid for one was $2.38. They make killer negatives, I did have to cut a negative carrier out of mat board though. They have great rangefinders. I haven't used color in them though.

Wayne
One's skill is never complete, one's knowledge is forever lacking, one's taste is invariably altered, one's opinion ever subject to controversy. There is a complete and constant urge toward improvement...
-Andrew Loomis.

Old 05-10-2006   #19
bmattock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne R. Scott
Bill,

Where do you see that 665 film is being discontinued? I do not see it mentioned as dicontinued on the Polaroid site.

Wayne
It is kind of hidden:

http://www.polaroid.com/global/detai...bmLocale=en_US

Quote:
Please be advised that Polaroid will be discontinuing 665 film within the first 6 months of 2006 due to the phasing out of components used in the production of this film.
The discontinuation of 665 does not impact the supply or manufacture of 55 film, an alternative to 665. For information on 55 film and the equipment needed to use it, please click here.

For customers who would like to continue using black and white peel-apart film, below are more alternatives:
664 film 3 x 4 ISO 100 black and white peel apart film. You will need a 3 x 4 Polaroid film holder to use this film.
672 film - 3 x 4 ISO 400 black and white peel apart film. You will need a 3 x 4 Polaroid film holder to use this film.
Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Old 05-10-2006   #20
Wayne R. Scott
Half fast Leica User

Thanks Bill,

Looks like Fuji is going to get even more of my business.

Wayne
-Andrew Loomis.

Old 05-10-2006   #21
MikeyGaGa

Estimado Don Guapo:

Muchas gracias para la clarificacion;Usted es muy sagaz!

Miguelito XaXa

Pardona mi Espanol pocho,amigos

Old 05-10-2006   #22
derevaun
focus free

Pos/Neg packfilm and Time Zero are huge losses, but they aren't used on the common Polaroids you're likely to encounter. Only roll film Polaroids are completely orphaned--and the better of those can easily be modded for pack film. Likewise there's a simple mod to allow the SX-70 to use 600 film. It might not be wise to invest in top-of-the-line gear, but why miss out on the fun before you have to?

Old 05-11-2006   #23
ush

being a polaroid addicted myself,
here's a few links that may helps

http://polaroids.theskeltons.org
select 'want a polaroid?' to reach a very well done guide

find the right film for your polaroid camera
always useful

unsaleable have some discontinued films, and quite attractive prices, well, for my side of the ocean

polanoid is a growing community from the same guys that brought unsaleable

regards

Old 05-11-2006   #24
lubitel

I love my SX70! its so cool! and you can use 600 film in it too, with a simple modification, or even without for "special effects"

Old 05-11-2006   #25
Rob
rangefinder camera magnet

I had one of those Job Pro cameras...Worst thing I ever bought. Lousy, expensive pictures was the best it could do. SX-70 film was changed about 1 year ago making manipulations harder if even possible, now it is discontinued. 665 peel apart film is gone too, made good negatives...

Old 05-11-2006   #26
pcfranchina

Thanks for the advise. Won't even bother with it!

Thanks!