Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film

Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film Discuss Image processing -- traditional darkoom or digital lightroom here. Notice there are subcategories to narrow down subject matter. .

Old 05-09-2019   #41
CharlesDAMorgan

I took two rolls of TmaxP3200 out with me to Spain, on the way out scanned in my hand luggage and then kindly hand checked at Girona. Not a trace of fogging now developed.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.

Old 05-09-2019   #42
Derek Leath

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesDAMorgan View Post
I took two rolls of TmaxP3200 out with me to Spain, on the way out scanned in my hand luggage and then kindly hand checked at Girona. Not a trace of fogging now developed.
I have Topcon Super D also, I was thinking about putting some film through it.

Old 05-09-2019   #43
CharlesDAMorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Leath View Post
I have Topcon Super D also, I was thinking about putting some film through it.
Great camera and lenses. It's about time I shot another roll, but my previous results are superb.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.

Old 07-22-2019   #44
rob.nyc1

Just got back from a trip to Poland where the film was x-rayed 4 times, once in the US, three times in Europe. 400 ISO, no problems.

The smaller the ISO the less sensitive it is to the x-rays. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 07-22-2019   #45
Rayt

My last two trips were via SFO and Schiphol (Amsterdam). They had the new scanners that look like hospital CT machines with a round entry way. They are supposed to take "many" scans of your luggage at once to form a 3D image so there is no need to remove the laptop etc. In Schiphol they hand checked my roll film. In SFO I had TMY 4x5 sheet film so let them pass through. My processing is backlogged but I'll process them this weekend.

Old 07-22-2019   #46
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by illerucis View Post
Just got back from a trip to Poland where the film was x-rayed 4 times, once in the US, three times in Europe. 400 ISO, no problems.

The smaller the ISO the less sensitive it is to the x-rays. I wouldn't worry about it.
In the US they will hand check your film so no need to get it xrayed.

Old 12-30-2019   #47
traveler_101
American abroad

No one seems to have commented on the new CT scanners have been introduced at the major airports. Anywhere you see a sign that it is not necessary to remove liquids and laptops the new technology is in place. Airport personal claim that they are safe for film, but some people are telling a different story.

Old 12-31-2019   #48
Ste_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler_101 View Post
No one seems to have commented on the new CT scanners have been introduced at the major airports. Anywhere you see a sign that it is not necessary to remove liquids and laptops the new technology is in place. Airport personal claim that they are safe for film, but some people are telling a different story.
Still yet to see anyone post up photos from radiation damaged film from the new scanners.

Most recent trip took Lomo CN800 and Ilford Delta 400 (pushed to 1600) through Birmingham, UK and Barcelona airport scanners; and the scanner for the AVE service at Madrid station without issue.

Old 12-31-2019   #49
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste_S View Post
Still yet to see anyone post up photos from radiation damaged film from the new scanners.

Most recent trip took Lomo CN800 and Ilford Delta 400 (pushed to 1600) through Birmingham, UK and Barcelona airport scanners; and the scanner for the AVE service at Madrid station without issue.
There's a thread on Photrio with examples of film damaged by some of the new x-ray scanners:
https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...anners.170709/

flickr

Old 12-31-2019   #50
traveler_101
American abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dourbalistar View Post
There's a thread on Photrio with examples of film damaged by some of the new x-ray scanners:
https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...anners.170709/
Yes I posted there too. The claim that damage to the films in question were caused by the new machines is sharply contested by an expert. I can't decide on the basis of that thread what to believe.

Old 01-01-2020   #51
KenR

The last time that I asked for hand inspection was in Italy and a soldier pointed a sub-machine gun at me and quite emphatically said “No.” Since then I have put my film through scanners, including five times in China, and have never had a problem.

Old 01-01-2020   #52
traveler_101
American abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenR View Post
The last time that I asked for hand inspection was in Italy and a soldier pointed a sub-machine gun at me and quite emphatically said “No.” Since then I have put my film through scanners, including five times in China, and have never had a problem.
Yes it went well - at least in terms of the integrity of the film, but when was this "last time" and did the airport in question have the new CT x-ray scanners? I have never received hand inspection in Europe; they just say it is safe. Haven't had a machine gun pointed at me yet - geez

In the U.S. I have asked for and received hand inspection - that is true - but one never knows when you will run into the wrong TSA officer. Here is what TSA has to say about the new scanners, along with a list of seventeen US airports where the technology is currently installed.

https://www.tsa.gov/computed-tomography

Old 01-01-2020   #53
Brian Atherton

In all my years travelling around the world (Middle East, North Africa, Europe, USA) with 400 ISO film, I have never, ever had damage to film caused by my luggage being scanned, sometimes multiple times during a trip.

Admittedly, since the advent of digital, I have taken film abroad less and - in the last five years never: it has been digital only. Not because I am worried that my film will get ruined by a scanner but because I just can’t be bothered lugging ten to twenty rolls of 35mm with me, and the associated cost of purchase and processing etc.

"Maintenant, mon ami !"
http://www.asingulareye.wordpress.com

Old 01-01-2020   #54
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler_101 View Post
I知 going through Logan at the end of the month. I値l bring a roll of HP5 and see what happens.

Old 01-01-2020   #55
KenR

Italian episode was about 15 years ago, with multiple Chinese scans about 5 years ago. I have no experience with the newer ct scanners that I know of. I travel a lot domestically for business and always have a camera loaded with Tmax400 with me. No problems thus far except for bad light seals in a Goodwill camera.

Old 01-01-2020   #56
giganova

I travel extensively with film. On one trip I had 20 rolls of FP-4 scanned 5x with no fogging whatsoever. A technical paper by Kodak says up to 8x is fine with 100 ASA films, which my involuntary experience seems to confirm.

X-rays bags never worked for me because the TSA person will ask what's inside, I have to take it out, and they inspect it. Takes 10x longer than simply putting the films into a transparent Ziplock bag and kindly asking for a hand inspection. Works like charm in the US, but in Latin America and most European countries, they often refuse hand infection and put it through the X-ray machine. I once had a foreign TSA agent shout at me at the top of his lung, made a huge circus, made the entire line of people wait forever, which made them mad at me, and then the foreign TSA agent pulled me aside and gave me a thorough strip search. So I don't even ask for a hand inspection in foreign countries anymore because X-raying up to 8x is no problem.

Old 01-02-2020   #57
traveler_101
American abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
I知 going through Logan at the end of the month. I値l bring a roll of HP5 and see what happens.
That would be a great service.

Old 01-02-2020   #58
traveler_101
American abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
I once had a foreign TSA agent shout at me at the top of his lung, made a huge circus, made the entire line of people wait forever, which made them mad at me, and then the foreign TSA agent pulled me aside and gave me a thorough strip search.
Yes, it can be very unpleasant if you get on the wrong side of these people. Procedures vary but somehow you are expected to know "the" rules.

Quote:
So I don't even ask for a hand inspection in foreign countries anymore because X-raying up to 8x is no problem.
One time I asked for a hand check at Orlando for two bricks of newly purchased Kodak I was bringing back to this side of the Atlantic: they opened every singly box and checked it. They were very pleasant about it.
Well yeah, once I became convinced that multiple scans were safe I stopped asking for hand checks even in the U.S. The issue is now new scanners that are said to resemble those used on checked baggage.

Old 01-02-2020   #59
traveler_101
American abroad

A member at PHOTRIO developed a roll of 120 film that went through a new CT scanner. It was clearly damaged. https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...5#post-2240260

Old 01-02-2020   #60
Rayt

What this means is an additional $60 to send my film back from a trip by courier. I can’t rely on the possibility of getting a hand check.

Old 01-04-2020   #61
dfranklin

Boston's Logan Airport is reportedly one of the airports at which the TSA is testing new CT scanners. Does anyone happen to know which checkpoints have the CT scanners? I flew out of Logan's Terminal E in December and used the trip as an opportunity to conduct a casual test with a roll of HP5+. I shot ten frames of the same scene. Then I clipped half the roll and took it with me, leaving the other half at home. The strip I took with me was scanned twice: once at Logan Terminal E, and once at the airport in Wrocław, Poland. Yesterday I developed both strips in the same tank. Below you see both strips on the light table. I can detect no difference between the two. For what it's worth, the top one is the one that was scanned.

Does anyone know if the new CT scanner(s) at Logan are labeled as such? I did not see any sign indicating that new technology was in use--my bag may well have passed through a standard X-Ray scanner. So I cannot offer this test as a demonstration of the effects of the new equipment.

IMG_3469

Old 01-04-2020   #62
Rayt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfranklin View Post
Boston's Logan Airport is reportedly one of the airports at which the TSA is testing new CT scanners. Does anyone happen to know which checkpoints have the CT scanners? I flew out of Logan's Terminal E in December and used the trip as an opportunity to conduct a casual test with a roll of HP5+. I shot ten frames of the same scene. Then I clipped half the roll and took it with me, leaving the other half at home. The strip I took with me was scanned twice: once at Logan Terminal E, and once at the airport in Wrocław, Poland. Yesterday I developed both strips in the same tank. Below you see both strips on the light table. I can detect no difference between the two. For what it's worth, the top one is the one that was scanned.

Does anyone know if the new CT scanner(s) at Logan are labeled as such? I did not see any sign indicating that new technology was in use--my bag may well have passed through a standard X-Ray scanner. So I cannot offer this test as a demonstration of the effects of the new equipment.
The new scanners are not labelled as such but you値l know it when you see it. It looks like a hospital MRI scanner with the round opening. Travelers do not need to remove their laptops etc like for older scanners.

Old 01-05-2020   #63
dfranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayt View Post
The new scanners are not labelled as such but you値l know it when you see it. It looks like a hospital MRI scanner with the round opening. Travelers do not need to remove their laptops etc like for older scanners.
Aha--thanks for the info. My film was not, then, scanned by one of the new machines. Sorry, I had hoped to be able to provide some useful experience.

Old 01-05-2020   #64
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Not sure what terminal I’m heading through yet.

I like your test dfranklin I will do the same, shoot the roll and clip half, then develop them together.

Old 01-05-2020   #65
charjohncarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmr View Post
A TSA supervisor told me that the newer machines are supposedly safe for several passes with 800 and below film. I recently took a roll of Cinestill 800t two ways via air and it showed no fog, streaks, or whatever.

What does concern me are the times when your bag goes through the scanner and the agent can't identify something. He/she will rock the belt back and forth (I assume with tbe beam on), then maybe call over a supervisor or cohort, and they sit there and point and rock the belt back and forth and nod at each other and I assume my film is getting a continuous soaking.
2010 I left Peru; no rocking this time, but the scanner male spent three minutes flirting with a female assistant while my film was on his screen. Even then I couldn't see any problems upon development.

Old 01-05-2020   #66
giganova

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfranklin View Post
Boston's Logan Airport is reportedly one of the airports at which the TSA is testing new CT scanners. Does anyone happen to know which checkpoints have the CT scanners?
Pretty much everywhere by now. They are not being tested, they are replacing all older models at all airports.

Old 01-05-2020   #67
Moto-Uno
Moto-Uno

OMG that looks like something from a dystopian future ! Peter

Old 01-05-2020   #68
Larry Cloetta

From the actual and latest TSA guidelines, published after the introduction of CT scanners: “We recommend that you put undeveloped film and cameras containing undeveloped film in your carry-on bags or take undeveloped film with you to the checkpoint and ask for a hand inspection.”

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...ing/items/film

The relevant, and new, Kodak information , published after the introduction of CT screening: “always hand-carry your film - including loaded cameras - and always request a visual inspection at the airport security check point.”

https://imaging.kodakalaris.com/site...ro/CIS_E30.pdf

But, whatever. Many people don’t read manuals either, and move ahead with a firm sense of confidence.

的t is about time we take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby. Elliot Erwitt

Old 01-05-2020   #69
traveler_101
American abroad

Quote:
Pretty much everywhere by now. They are not being tested, they are replacing all older models at all airports.

Good that you posted the image so people can see that the new machines are a beast of a different order: specifically they generate 3-D rather than 2-D images. There is concrete evidence that unlike the old 2-D machines, these new CT scanners damage film.

On the other hand, you say they "are replacing all older models at all airports" . . . what evidence do you have to make that claim? TSA itself lists 17 major airports where they are installed. The article -https://www.tsa.gov/computed-tomography - implies that the goal is universal adoption, but it is currently deployed and being tested at the following airports:

Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL)
Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI)
Chicago O辿are International Airport (ORD)
Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG)
Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW)
Houston Hobby Airport (HOU)
Indianapolis International Airport (IND)
John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
Logan International Airport (BOS)
Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
Miami International Airport (MIA)
Oakland International Airport (OAK)
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA)
St. Louis Lambert International Airport (STL)
Tampa International Airport (TPA)
Washington-Dulles International Airport (IAD)

Old 01-06-2020   #70
Rayt

image2 by ray tai, on Flickr

I let a box of 4x5 TMX go through the new scanner at SFO because I didn't want to risk a hand check where the TSA would inevitably ask me to open the box! This is one of the shots. It was shot with a pinhole Walker 4x5. Can anyone see any ill effects from the scan? Some of the other negs came out "blotchy" I guess because it is a pin hole? Xray damage would be a wave effect?

Old 01-06-2020   #71
Rayt

Another

image1 by ray tai, on Flickr

Old 01-06-2020   #72
traveler_101
American abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayt View Post
image2 by ray tai, on Flickr

I let a box of 4x5 TMX go through the new scanner at SFO because I didn't want to risk a hand check where the TSA would inevitably ask me to open the box! This is one of the shots. It was shot with a pinhole Walker 4x5. Can anyone see any ill effects from the scan? Some of the other negs came out "blotchy" I guess because it is a pin hole? Xray damage would be a wave effect?
Blotchiness is the effect of the new CT scan. Some of the sheets might be insulated by where they sit in the stack. Here is the result of a test. Note blotchiness of film to the right exposed to a CT scan - https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...5#post-2240260

You should inquire about hand checking. They used to check by opening each and every item for inspection, but now I believe they simply swipe to see if there are explosive chemicals on the surface of the item.

Old 01-07-2020   #73
Rayt

That confirms it. My negs look exactly like the samples in the link. It was my first outing with the pinhole so wasn’t sure if it was just the medium.

Old 01-07-2020   #74
lcpr

Yikes. Luckily they weren’t using the new machines when I went through JFK (the terminal o went through had one but it wasn’t in use) but I asked TSA to hand check my film (35mm, 120, 4x5, and 8x10) so at least there’s a way around that. What worries me is when LHR gets the new machines, they simply refuse to hand check any film at all. Might have to switch to digital which isn’t a big deal for my 35mm kit since it’s pretty much a 1:1 replacement (M10 instead of the M4), but if I want to fly with my Rollei or 4x5 kit? I know several photographers who shoot 6x7 professionally who’ll have to drastically change their workflow (I.e procure film and develop at the location) if provisions aren’t made for film.

Old 01-07-2020   #75
traveler_101
American abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcpr View Post
Yikes. Luckily they weren稚 using the new machines when I went through JFK (the terminal o went through had one but it wasn稚 in use) but I asked TSA to hand check my film (35mm, 120, 4x5, and 8x10) so at least there痴 a way around that. What worries me is when LHR gets the new machines, they simply refuse to hand check any film at all. Might have to switch to digital which isn稚 a big deal for my 35mm kit since it痴 pretty much a 1:1 replacement (M10 instead of the M4), but if I want to fly with my Rollei or 4x5 kit? I know several photographers who shoot 6x7 professionally who値l have to drastically change their workflow (I.e procure film and develop at the location) if provisions aren稚 made for film.
Yes, there is no cooperation on this side of the Atlantic when it comes to hand checking. I read that LHR is due to get the machines in two years.

But also consider this: we know the way technological development works in a market economy. A more advanced machines is developed to fill a niche (in this case I guess medical originally); the technology is very expensive, but as competition increases costs come down and the market expands.

Point: how long before these CT machines are used to scan the mail? How will film be distributed in the future?

Trip to Israel - planned shooting film but...
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #76
Limbow

Trip to Israel - planned shooting film but...

I'll be going to Israel and Italy in about a month. I planned on shooting film but don't know how I'll avoid it being scanned. Anyone had good luck with hand checks in both countries? Any tips/advice is appreciated.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #77
james.liam

Buy the film there.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #78
raid
Dad Photographer

I would play it safe and use film plus digital.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #79
f.hayek

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I would play it safe and use film plus digital.
Wise advice.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #80
ozmoose

Scanning is one problem, albeit somewhat overexaggerated in my opinion. I recently traveled to Southeast Asia with 50 rolls of greatly outdated (2008-2012) films and on returning home, processed it all to my satisfaction. I saw no effects at all from scanning at 6-7 airports, only a very small (+/- 2.5%-5% if even that) level of fog. I ran a test by shooting and processing an equally 'aged' roll I had never taken overseas, and found it was slightly more fogged than my well-traveled stocks. So...

The other problem, in those countries where temperatures tend to run high during the day, is how will you secure your film from heat? Israel is by no means temperate, and as I recently found while traveling in Malaysia (Sarawak and Sabah) with my films, daytime temperatures can climb well above the 30C mark, which can potentially do more damage than the occasional run through an airport scanner.

For all these reasons, I have decided I won't travel again with film - only digital. I love analog and I intend to go on shooting film at least until my frozen stocks at home are used up, but for me, when I'm on the road, digital is the 21st century way.

Analog purists will no doubt be unhappy with this, but it's the real-world situation.