Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

ISO 3.28 million, are you kidding me!
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Timmyjoe

ISO 3.28 million, are you kidding me!

Just saw the specs on the newly released Nikon D6. ISO can be pushed to 3.28 million! I remember when I got my D4 eight years ago and thought, ISO 51,000, that's ridiculous, who would need an ISO that high. Well jump 64 times that ISO and that's what Nikon is claiming with their new flagship DSLR. Pretty amazing.

Where will it all end?

Have a great day everyone.

Best,
-Tim

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
CharlesDAMorgan

Extra six stops is pretty helpful, but it depends as always on the image quality...

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism, Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 534/16 & Ensign 820 Special - all gone.

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Won’t that fog even with the shutter closed?

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
jsrockit

Well... is it usable or just there? High iso in a camera like this is for high shutter speeds in low light of course...

Old 1 Week Ago   #5
zuiko85

Yeah, even my 5 year old EM10 goes up to some ridiculous (for that year) ISO. Even tried it out once. The results looked like a badly executed paint-by-number picture that were all the rage in the 60’s.

Olympus probably called it ‘a feature’.

Old 1 Week Ago   #6
tsiklonaut

How times change, before it was about megapixel numbers, now it's about ISO numbers?

Maybe I'm oldschool, but give me any ASA 100 film (which I'll develop around ASA 64-80 most of the time anyways so it's not a fixed number) and a tripod and I'm happy with that for decades to come.

I better leave the astronomically high ISOs for the number supremacists...

Old 1 Week Ago   #7
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Pushed or selected?
https://www.dpreview.com/news/761593...specifications
Quote:
ISO Auto, 100-102400 (expands to 50-3280000)
Pushed usually means post-processing.

If some is OK with ISO400 as maximum and five megapixels, it doesn't mean the rest has to follow.

I meet professional cinematographer, cameraman and photographer two weeks ago. He has to recently trade his Canon DSLR to FujiFilm GFX. The size of the prints he has to do now clearly demands 40+ MP and larger sensor.
So is ISO. It is very obvious if you think not just me-me-me.
Sport. High shutter speeds, narrow apertures. Forensic reports is another one. Shallow DOF is for forums dwellers .

Old 1 Week Ago   #8
retinax

This may be some use for technical purposes, where something is better than no picture, but even if the sensor and data stream are well behaved, photon noise must kill any pictorial application.

Old 1 Week Ago   #9
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiklonaut View Post
How times change, before it was about megapixel numbers, now it's about ISO numbers?

Maybe I'm oldschool, but give me any ASA 100 film (which I'll develop around ASA 64-80 most of the time anyways so it's not a fixed number) and a tripod and I'm happy with that for decades to come.

Having taken a look at the results you get with your methods, (and having a copy of your book), I can only say that you are someone who is well worth paying attention to. I am not seeing anyone anywhere do better, in terms of results, and most, not as well. Kudos.

The D6 will undoubtedly be a superb camera, but the (legitimate) advance in capabilities won’t do anything for the kind of results most people want most of the time in most situations. Were I hired to shoot the Olympics in Japan in a few months, I’d want one. It’s for those people, and Nikon hopes to also sell to many who think that they are those people. I hope they sell a lot of them, for Nikon’s sake.
It’s interesting that the real pros this body is aimed at don’t need more than 20.6 MP from a full frame 35mm sensor, nor would they usually be well served by more. If you have a D6 you probably also have a superb 600mm AF lens as well, so there’s little need for major cropping. There’s a lesson in there somewhere.

“It is about time we take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.” Elliot Erwitt

Old 1 Week Ago   #10
Timmyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
There’s a lesson in there somewhere.
Processing 20.6MP on the fly to make deadline is much more manageable than trying to process 45MP in the same time period. And they're not going to be billboards, they are going to appear in print or on the web, so 20.6MP is more than enough.

Best,
-Tim

Old 1 Week Ago   #11
raid
Dad Photographer

Oh well; I am still mostly using ISO 160. What am I missing?

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 1 Week Ago   #12
Mackinaw
Think Different

I have a roll of Efke 25 loaded in my M3 right now.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 1 Week Ago   #13
Scottboarding

Here's an example of the D5 at 3 Million ISO: https://petapixel.com/2016/01/12/thi...t-iso-3280000/

There might be a slight increase in quality with the D6 but I can't imagine it being even close to usable that high. Seems to me as more of a marketing thing.

Old 1 Week Ago   #14
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Bragging rights?

Old 1 Week Ago   #15
charjohncarter

Quote:

I've seen your work also. I'll stick with you. I think you also use a drum scanner (not sure), but that is another form of quality I can get behind.

Old 1 Week Ago   #16
Huss

I think my Olympus C8008 (8mp!) went up to ISO 800. And I thought it was so cool that I could adjust ISOs any way I wanted as it was a digicam.
The highest shoot is ISO 800, and that is with Lomo 800 film.

But I do admire the tech advances. C'mon, 10, 15 years ago? Could you imagine this?

Old 1 Week Ago   #17
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

$5 says that Nikkor lens won't auto focus in that light

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

The Blog (Boring Sidney, Boring)
http://jeffthomasallen.blogspot.com/

Old 6 Days Ago   #18
james.liam

Forget 3.28 million.
If it can accurately focus & produce pristine files at ISO 500,000 no one will complain

Old 6 Days Ago   #19
robert blu
quiet photographer

Extremely high iso can be necessary for a few very special application...I think sport il low light photographer with a very long lens...but...

...I still remember the times and the emotion when I could push an HP4 at 1600 iso...and that was high iso...

I know, I'm old

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 6 Days Ago   #20
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I don't know what you're missing, but I'd hazard a guess and say you're not shooting the Olympics (and if you are, you're probably not mostly using 160iso...)

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 6 Days Ago   #21
Archlich

Pushing boundaries on these specialized cameras is a good thing, I see no good reason for it to "end" except maybe it would also bring an end to the "I don't need it" posts for every new camera release.

Old 6 Days Ago   #22
zuiko85

What’s the ISO of tracing a camera obscura image with a #2 pencil.

Old 6 Days Ago   #23
raid
Dad Photographer

I can see the usefulness of high ISO photography for sports with long lenses, as Robert has said above. I do not anymore do such photography, though. I like to play with the available light outdoors and not indoors unless it is a portrait at a window, which allows me to take photos with most lenses and ISO 400 maybe.

Old 6 Days Ago   #24
Benjamin Marks

I like the idea of being able to make an image without a flash in any lighting condition. Think about when Canon introduced the Digital Rebel, igniting millions of "film is better, no it isn't" threads on the Internet. That debate has been quiet for a long long time, although many, including myself, like film for aesthetic reasons. Back when I got the M8, I thought that the base ISO performance of that chip was equal to what I was getting with medium format film. Astonishing. I hope we see similar gains in dynamic range -- now that would really be something.

Consider too that if Nikon is setting this bar, you'll soon see the me-too's of the camera world offering similar capabilities. Our current cameras will one day seem like wet-plate negatives with an ISO of 6.

Old 6 Days Ago   #25
Solinar
Analog Preferred

I wonder what astronomers will think of the Nikon D6?

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Kodak Retina IIa, a Rollei 35 S, plus a Voigtlander Vito II and Vito BR
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtländer Perkeo II and Bessa II, 2 of them - a ZI Mess Ikonta 524/2 - plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes - still going over a decade later

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 6 Days Ago   #26
KM-25

Quote:
Right, like the sequence of images I got of elk rutting in full moonlight that were still a bit blurred at ISO 20,000 with a 1.4 lens. That was with a Nikon Z6 by the way and while AF had a hard time responding, MF in using the EVF in that high setting proved revolutionary for me in hitting focus in that low of light.

What blows me away more than clean high ISO is the narrow view of folks who lack the imagination in how it can be used to great effect.

Old 6 Days Ago   #27
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM-25 View Post
What blows me away more than clean high ISO is the narrow view of folks who lack the imagination in how it can be used to great effect.
When you only go out to photograph in bright sunlight, I can see why they would think that. I'm still stuck on about ISO 6400 being the top I have to use. I can completely use more... I like to photograph at 1/500th at least generally speaking due to my own internal shake and having to react quickly bringing the camera to my eye. I'd gladly take another 2-3 stops of clean high ISO than what I have.

Old 6 Days Ago   #28
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
Bragging rights?
I am content with taking photos the way I like to do, and this happens to be possible quite well with ISO160~400 most of the time. It is an amazing technological achievement to have such high ISO possibilities for some special applications in quite a few areas that come to mind.

Old 6 Days Ago   #29
KM-25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
When you only go out to photograph in bright sunlight, I can see why they would think that. I'm still stuck on about ISO 6400 being the top I have to use. I can completely use more... I like to photograph at 1/500th at least generally speaking due to my own internal shake and having to react quickly bringing the camera to my eye. I'd gladly take another 2-3 stops of clean high ISO than what I have.
Hope springs eternal for the intrepid thinker.

Be open, be curious and be ready for the ride of boldly going where no photographer has gone before...

Old 6 Days Ago   #30
tsiklonaut

Quote:
Actually it was ment with a bit of irony and a decent dose of humor.

I am a big believer of technological progress. But ISO 3,280,000 is just not enough to take good enough pictures. I will wait a couple of months when Canon or Sony comes out with their new ISO 6,560,000 camera model so I will get 50% better pictures vs this Nikon, better if they make ISO 1,312,000,000 so I can be sure that I will make 100% better pictures than this advertised model. Must have well over 100Mpixels too, or I will be dissaponted in the photo quality since the competition is already there.

FYI, every night I need to photograph fireflies with a very long hand held telephoto lens at 1/32,000th shutter speed @ f16 in pitch dark with each fly's individual wing textures and eyes must be visible in 100% zoom, absolutely no noise allowed for perfect clarity. Nothing less will do.

It sure extends one's imagination and makes very practical sense in every way.

Old 6 Days Ago   #31
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

I think we are getting spoiled, back in the 1980s 3200 iso was a luxury and so grainy it was extra special purpose.

The highest speed film I occasionally used was HP 5 pushed to 1600 iso and Tri-x pushed to 800 iso and that was considered a big deal and was avoided if possible.

Old 6 Days Ago   #32
Corran

Quote:
Right, like the sequence of images I got of elk rutting in full moonlight that were still a bit blurred at ISO 20,000 with a 1.4 lens. That was with a Nikon Z6 by the way and while AF had a hard time responding, MF in using the EVF in that high setting proved revolutionary for me in hitting focus in that low of light.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/16085/lot/130/

Old 6 Days Ago   #33
Brian Atherton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
This is a beautiful image. Thank you.

"Maintenant, mon ami !"
http://www.asingulareye.wordpress.com

Old 5 Days Ago   #34
zuiko85

Quote:

Usually all I wish to photograph is how a scene appears to my eyes. I do not wish to turn a night scene into a photograph that looks like it was taken at 2 in the afternoon.
Yes, for stopping fast motion, small stops for large DoF in poor light, etc., then I have been 'forced' to resort to high ISO (which looks like multi-colored confetti on my 5 year old camera). 'An' image is better than no image I guess.
And, handed this camera I could probably come up with use for the 3 million ISO.....maybe.
Maybe not. Just not much imagination I suppose.

Old 5 Days Ago   #35
Beemermark

Quote:

I remember when ASA64 Kodachrome was considered fast. Somehow we managed to get great photographs under most light conditions.

Old 5 Days Ago   #36
KM-25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
Paul does great work and I still use 100-400 speed black and white films for my own silver gel prints too, different instrument for different tunes my friend. But I am really getting into some amazing imagery right now at ISO 10,000+ with fast glass.

These huge numbers are also a bit of a headline grabber too, we should be talking about what we are gaining in stops above 3200 which is a number that I feel can produce large prints in modern cameras.

So give me 4-5 stops above 3200 but with the same low noise and I will make images that will be pretty striking, especially in subdued mixed light.

Old 5 Days Ago   #37
Dralowid
Michael

So, how would you apply the sunny 16 rule?

Old 5 Days Ago   #38
retinax

Someone needs to formulate a "new moon f/64 rule"!

Old 5 Days Ago   #39
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
Someone needs to formulate a "new moon f/64 rule"!

They must think that too as I see the top shutter speed is *only* 1/8000 and they have a "B" setting for when 3.28 million is just too slow. It makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Regards, David

Old 5 Days Ago   #40
jsrockit

The thing you guys have to realize is that the real usable high ISO number is a lot lower than the top stated available ISO (maybe 12,800 is usable for most). For instance, go here and choose 3.28 million...

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nik...-dslr-review/6

I know it is the D5, but at this ISO they are effectively the same...