Old 01-06-2017   #81
dmr
Registered Abuser

I very seldom shoot slides anymore, but yes, I'm very encouraged by the news.

I only hope they sell enough of it to keep it in the market.

Old 01-06-2017   #82
brbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel D View Post
If Kodak is setting up production for a product (and entire product class) they abandoned in 2012, they must have a very high confidence in the viability of the market.
Or that they've come to the realisation that at this point doing something is better than doing nothing.

Old 01-06-2017   #83
oltimer

Happy to see Kodak bringing this product back. Used a lot of their VS before, and at least we will now have more choice. In my photography I shoot 90% slide so I have a guaranteed back up control for ever.

Old 01-06-2017   #84
Chromacomaphoto

Great news! I honestly thought slides were going the way of the Dodo (and might still be) but how often do we get news like this in filmland?

BTW, for those who might not know, there is a half decent podcast by Kodak called 'The Kodakery' or something like that. New developments like the Super 8 reintroduction are sometimes brought in as the subject for a whole show, chats with company top execs about film and the 'revenge of analogue' etc. It's sometimes on stuff that I don't care about that much but some episodes certainly might prove interesting to RFF'ers! I just checked their feed and no show yet on this of course but I wouldn't be surprised to see an episode on the back story released soon.

Old 01-06-2017   #85
znapper

Very cool, but at the same time, somewhat strange, seeing the state of slide shooting and development these days.

I think I will buy 10-15 rolls to try out in any case, I plan to develop that myself with a Tetenal kit, it's way cheaper than sending it off to a lab (which usually also require you to buy prints too).

I wonder when they will re-introduce Kodak Plus-x 125, I still have some in my freezer, but would love to shoot more of that classic.

Only time will tell I suppose ^^

Old 01-06-2017   #86
jarski

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMcCoy View Post
I don't even shoot color and I'm excited by this.
I don't even shoot film and I'm exited also!

Old 01-06-2017   #87
dave lackey

This is, indeed, good news!

I will be looking for some extra bulbs for my projector and more carousels!

Dave

Old 01-06-2017   #88
GarageBoy

Please Kodak, keep the labs alive with e6 chemicals

Old 01-06-2017   #89
Pablito
coco frío

I have to wonder who or what they see as their primary market for this. Support in this thread is virtually unanimous (niche market?) but in terms of professional use - that is, publication or printing - having images originate as digital files make so much more sense. Ektachrome was always hard to scan, and the transparencies are known to fade badly. Perhaps the new formulation will improve the stability. Although I don't use film any more I am certainly pro-film. But I can think of other discontinued films I'd be much more tempted to use!

Old 01-06-2017   #90
telenous

Well, here's some more info from an interview of T. J. Mooney (Kodak's World Wide Product and Business manager) conducted by the filmsnotdead website:

http://filmsnotdead.com/

On the question whether the film will be the exact same formulation:

Quote:
Film's not Dead: So, In terms of the formulation is it exactly the same, or has it been upgraded?

Kodak Alaris T. J. Mooney: Well that is still TBD (to be discussed) which is part of the reason why the availability is set for later this year, in the fourth quarter. Bringing back a film is not as simple as you might think. There's a very significant R&D (Research & Development) that is necessary to re-formulate the product based on component availability and any equipment changes that have been made or any changes to environmental health and safety regulations. So the intent here is to bring back a daylight 100 speed Ektachrome film. Saturation levels and performance characteristics are still TBD at this point but in terms of the old Ektachrome it will certainly be along those same lines and we'll know more as we go along.
Also, with regard to pricing he said it will be "market based".

flickr

"We stopped a bit further down from Amchit and looked at the sun sinking in the quiet Sea of Phoenix. Yet, why is it that sometimes one sees things clearly -- I mean to say, as when the camera is appropriately set." George Seferis

Old 01-06-2017   #91
brennanphotoguy

I'm sure it will be reformulated in the same way the Portra films (aside from 800) were. It'll be updated and probably scan a little better and fade less and have slightly different coloring than the original.

Old 01-06-2017   #92
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

I am waiting for Kodak to bring back Panatomic X film.

It might be a long wait.

Old 01-06-2017   #93
Rob-F
Not a Leica Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveKodak View Post
This is such great news! It is true as Kodak announced via their social media channels. E100G was an excellent stock. I much preferred to to Provia.
When I did a self-assignment to photograph Missouri's springs and streams, back in the late 1980's and early '90's, I tested Ektachrome, Fujichrome, and Kodachrome. I found Ektachrome EPP100 to be the best for accurately capturing the true colors of the green vegetation against the blue water of the springs. I'd like EPP100 to come back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightsqueez View Post
Kodachrome next??

This is GREAT news. Can't wait to get some.
And I'm still waiting for Kodachrome-X. I shot it when it was available in the 1960's. I was a desert rat then. I've never forgotten the warm colors I got with Kodachrome-X! And it was more archival than E-4, or E3, whatever the Ektachrome process was back then. I wonder if that would still be true today?

Old 01-06-2017   #94
Rob-F
Not a Leica Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsterno View Post
OK, whats the over/under on when Kodachrome will reappear !?!
Kodachrome was discontinued because it was too environmentally polluting. It's not likely to come back. But how about an E6 film with the warm Kodachrome balance?

Old 01-06-2017   #95
brennanphotoguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
Kodachrome was discontinued because it was too environmentally polluting. It's not likely to come back. But how about an E6 film with the warm Kodachrome balance?
I'd like to see this as well.

Old 01-06-2017   #96
Archlich

I wonder if this will be an all new "E100" emulsion like the current Portra 400, or just E100G resurrected?

Really would like to stock up if it's offered in 120.

Old 01-06-2017   #97
wjlapier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
This is, indeed, good news!

I will be looking for some extra bulbs for my projector and more carousels!
Almost threw out 8 Kodak carousels before the new year.

I'll give this film a try.

Old 01-06-2017   #98
ChrisLivsey

sheets and medium format; those formats are certainly possible depending on the level of demand.

Bringing back a film is not as simple as you might think. There's a very significant R&D (Research & Development) that is necessary to re-formulate the product based on component availability and any equipment changes that have been made or any changes to environmental health and safety regulations. So the intent here is to bring back a daylight 100 speed Ektachrome film. Saturation levels and performance characteristics are still TBD at this point but in terms of the old Ektachrome it will certainly be along those same lines and we'll know more as we go along.

T. J. Mooney Kodak's World Wide Product and Business manager for film at Kodak

http://filmsnotdead.com/

https://www.instagram.com/chris.livsey/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Old 01-06-2017   #99
Duane Pandorf

Once they start shipping this slide film those of us that went all in on digital many years ago may need one of these:

Kodak Slide Projector

Old 01-06-2017   #100
Samuel D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablito View Post
Ektachrome was always hard to scan…
In what way? It is true it needed good hardware to punch through the shadows (but no more so than other reversal stock and less so than Kodachrome), but reversal film was otherwise easier to scan than negative film. Importantly, you didn’t have to guess what the colours should be. That’s why it was favoured in publishing for decades. Grain tended to be finer too. Digital ICE worked with Ektachrome.

Nowadays many scanners are old and running third-party software with dubious colour science or OEM software lacking profiles for currently available negative films (or support for modern operating systems). In this context, you could easily argue that reversal film is the best choice for scanning.

Separately, I would love to see Kodak make a new scanner with simple metal hardware, Digital ICE, profiles for current films, and brain-dead-simple scanning software for current versions of macOS and Windows (or just a smartphone app for setting the scanner up and an SD card slot for storing scanned TIFFs, i.e. no need for desktop software – or the built-in obsolescence of a physical interface – at all). If it solved the film-flatness problem (as a Flextight does or via another method), it would be by far the most attractive scanner on the market and surely profitable. How could it not be? People are buying antique Coolscans for more than they cost new. They’re slowly breaking while, apparently, film sales are increasing. Do the maths, as they say.

Old 01-06-2017   #101
rbsinto

Location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Pandorf View Post
Once they start shipping this slide film those of us that went all in on digital many years ago may need one of these:

Kodak Slide Projector
Yup.
That they will.
When our club went Digital, I was given a couple of Ektagraphic slide projectors, bulbs, lenses (primes and zooms) and carousels.
I use them all the time, as slide is all I shoot.
Robert

Old 01-06-2017   #102
BluYote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
I wonder if this will be an all new "E100" emulsion like the current Portra 400, or just E100G resurrected?
The interviews with Kodak higher-ups seems to indicate that it will depend on chemical availability/production line changes. They probably would just reproduce E100G if they can to save R&D but I bet they will be forced to change some chemicals and thus it will be a reformulation like Portra 400

Old 01-06-2017   #103
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablito View Post
Ektachrome was always hard to scan..
Never had any issue, but that is with my labs using Noritsu or Frontier scanners. Maybe it's hard with consumer scanners?

Old 01-06-2017   #104
Jake Mongey

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennanphotoguy View Post
I'll be really excited if pricing comes in decently. It's just good in general for the film community. Hopefully they'll bring it in 120 shortly after as well.
I reckon its unlikely as Kodak is mainly targeting the cine market, especially with the release of their super 8 cameras. The stills version seems to be a side product from their development of the move film. However, if we do see Ektachrome in a 70mm format we will probably see some 3rd party re-spooling to 120.

Of course I could be wrong - Kodak has already surprised us maybe we`ll see it again

Old 01-06-2017   #105
hp6350hp

I would like to pay $6.41.

Old 01-06-2017   #106
unixrevolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Pandorf View Post

Kodak Slide Projector
I have one of the lesser well known Slide projectors that use cubes. VERY compact, and I love it. I'd take it over a carousel projector anyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp6350hp View Post
I would like to pay $6.41.

The hilarious part is that this is Ektachrome 64. The Ektachrome 100 will likely be $10.00 based on the price of other 100-speed slide films, so this essentially corroborates the idea that slide film averages 10 cents per ISO number.

"I decided to stop collecting cameras and become a photographer."

Old 01-06-2017   #107
Samuel D

The price increase from an effective $6.41 to ~$10 sounds reasonable enough, given the market context (especially since that’s a 20-exposure roll). It is the price of development that sounds less reasonable.

Old 01-06-2017   #108
lynnb

The formula for Australian film prices is US price x 2. Velvia is USD$21.65 here (AUD$29.70). Presumably Ektachrome will be in the same ball park.

Processing is a rip-off here too.. add another USD$15. So a roll of 35mm Velvia 36exp costs $1 a shot, which makes medium format C41 an attractive alternative for not all that much more.

Old 01-06-2017   #109
Finglas

Australia seems to mirror Ireland.
There is only one E6 lab here for us and D&P starts at €15
The slide/transparencies film usually starts at €19 (when you can find it)
So that too is almost €1 per slide.

Buying slide film abroad and sending E6 to the UK can with 4 rolls bring the costs down to about €28 per roll or roughly €0.80c each per slide.

The things we have to do and pay to keep our E6 going......

John

Old 01-07-2017   #110
Samuel D

What about home development of E-6? Does that work out a lot cheaper these days? I’ve done this in the past and am currently setting myself up for black and white home developing, so the question occurred.

Old 01-07-2017   #111
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
I don't know where this myth got started. It was entirely because it was extremely expensive to produce and nobody was buying it anymore. This was Kodak's own explanation.

Old 01-07-2017   #112
aizan

ektachrome is ok, but they should have brought back kodachrome. after all, people actually want it.

Old 01-07-2017   #113
unixrevolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
ektachrome is ok, but they should have brought back kodachrome. after all, people actually want it.
Kodak knows what their own demand looks like, im sure. and Kodachrome was a different process, so thats prohibitive. at the time it was discontinued there was only one lab in the world developing it.

The slide they brought back had to be E-6. Ektachrome was the obvious choice, and i am happy that its nack and happy for what this means for film as a whole.

"I decided to stop collecting cameras and become a photographer."

Old 01-07-2017   #114
benlees

Quote:
What about home development of E-6? Does that work out a lot cheaper these days? I’ve done this in the past and am currently setting myself up for black and white home developing, so the question occurred.

there are definitely home kits. Freestyle in the US has them. Unfortunately, they are liquid so cannot be shipped beyond the border. There is a place in Germany (Maco? something like that...) that used to have kits as well. My memory is poor!

I wish for a powder kit; that can be shipped airmail.

Old 01-07-2017   #115
brbo

Quote:
What about home development of E-6? Does that work out a lot cheaper these days?
For me it's about 3EUR/roll using Tetenal or FujiHunt kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
As opposed to "people actually don't really want Ektachrome"?

I'm sure bringing back Kodachrome would be fantastic, but really, how realistic is that? With no home processing possible, one or two K-14 labs in the world would probably be the best we could hope for. How much are people prepared to pay to have Kodachrome back? How many photographers can afford it?

I'll take Ektachrome if that is the best Kodak can do about their slide film. If they really come through with Ektachrome I don't think I will be buying much Fuji slide film in 135 format (seem with 400X Fuji dropped the wrong film). I was ecstatic when I learned about Ektachrome comeback, but now reading interviews with Kodak managers I'm just cautiously optimistic. Too many TBDs. Can they really get first rolls in our hands in 2017 if they still don't know what and how are they going to make the film?

Old 01-07-2017   #116
Samuel D

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
For me it's about 3EUR/roll using Tetenal or FujiHunt kit.
That sounds pretty good. Around €13 is a decent price in my book for 38 gleaming chromes! I’ll have to look into E-6 development when I get my black and white processing sorted out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
(seem with 400X Fuji dropped the wrong film)
Yeah, that was a strange one. I do miss that film.

Fujifilm’s remaining E-6 products are fine, but Kodak’s return will provide both greater choice and some price competition, good things both. It’s also a sign the market can support more products and lower prices while allowing Kodak to make a profit – things I would have doubted before this news.

Old 01-07-2017   #117
mabelsound

I used the Tetanal kit for a while, and it was not as hard as I expected. I recommend giving it a try! I developed a fair amount of Velvia with it and never got a bum roll.

Old 01-08-2017   #118
Moto-Uno
Moto-Uno

^^^^ Try Argentix.ca in Canada for E-6 & C-41 . Peter

Old 01-08-2017   #119
joeswe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finglas View Post
Australia seems to mirror Ireland.
There is only one E6 lab here for us and D&P starts at €15
The slide/transparencies film usually starts at €19 (when you can find it)
So that too is almost €1 per slide.

Buying slide film abroad and sending E6 to the UK can with 4 rolls bring the costs down to about €28 per roll or roughly €0.80c each per slide.

The things we have to do and pay to keep our E6 going......

John
How much do you pay for processing in the UK? If you send your film abroad anyhow, you could as well send it to Eurocolor/Fuji in Gera, Germany. It's the official Fuji lab. They charge a modest € 1.95 (135) or €2.95 (120)/roll plus return postage (letter) and the quality is very good, so it is very good value.

Old 01-08-2017   #120
Finglas

If I send the slide film to the UK it works out at €9.22 each
compared to €15 in Dublin. But the postage costs add up
too - so it is only cost effective when sending minimum of 4 x rolls.

At the moment I have 2 new rolls exposed but I am not sure
I want to wait to use up 2 more rolls of slide film
(can't imagine I'd get thru 2 more rolls in the short to mid-term).

One of the shops in Dublin (very good for film and print developing)
said that I should learn E6 home development, they can get the kits
from Germany, reading what our colleagues say here - perhaps it is
worth investigating.