Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica Screw Mount Copies

Leica Screw Mount Copies Classic Leica Copy forum as listed in the book 300 Leica Copies, including but not limited to Nicca, Leotax, Honor, Canon etc. At one time there was a major part of the camera industry just trying to make a lower cost copy/dirivitive of the original Leica.

Old 07-11-2018   #41
Shafovaloff1

Put a metal shutter in a Leotax DIV which works nicely.

Old 12-23-2018   #42
Shafovaloff1

The Canon L1 is one of my favorites...if you get one with problems with the slow speeds I found that lubricating the large spool at the bottom [not the 2 tensioned spring spools for each curtain at one end of the camera] solved the problem when I thought I had un-repairable wear on the bottom spring/works of the camera. It did not occur to me that dried out bushings could slow the action of the large spool so there would not be enough acceleration of the the slow speed works to keep everything going. I am an amateur at this so trial and error led me to this "discovery". I was totally miffed. Most likely at some point I will disassemble to clean the part but slight lubrication worked wonders.[I used trumpet key oil....using a syringe...not much was needed too. I wonder how many others who also like the L1 have put it aside after encountering the same problem.

Old 12-23-2018   #43
Shafovaloff1

I have two Leotax DIV. One is now a parts camera and one bought here in the US apparently had suffered a "shock" sufficient to bend some internal parts without suffering outside apparent damage and it had holes in one curtain. Probably set aside after the damage for years. I dismantled, straightened some parts and replaced the curtains using original ribbon and laths...it is just beautiful. The Leotax F is just an awesome machine..with the early spring tension...1/20 second..and 1/1000 second with flash wiring it is very quiet and sounds like it is well tuned, particularly at 1/10 and 1/15 second...you know it is right when you hear some spring bounce in the gearing after the shutters have traveled...but be careful, the Leotax T is the same camera with 1/500 second...as nice but not the same as the 1/1000 F..the only difference I have found. When I tension the springs I start with B and not 1/500 and find that I wind up with less stressed vintage operation...like I say though I am an amateur using the video tube to check that everything is balanced and that the speeds are accurate. I use an Olympus and a Nikon with known accurate shutters for comparison...but I am not an expert at this stuff. The Leotax T [I sold my F model] was a joy to adjust with a spring restraining gears at the bottom making the finest adjustment possible and easy. Buy yourself a head fitting magnifying lens set with a loupe attached and LED illumination if you plan to do the least amount of work yourself..they are inexpensive but necessary.

Old 12-23-2018   #44
peterm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
I would not hesitate to buy one from a Japanese seller on eBay. In every case that I have done so, the camera was always better than described. And Canon rangefinders from Japan are exceptional bargains right now.
As a more general statement I would say that this has been my experience with any camera or lens I have purchased from Japanese sellers too. It seems to be a function of both of a tendency towards a high level of honesty which seems to be expected of sellers in that country plus the fact that Japanese buyers are notoriously picky about condition of items. So sellers over describe or to put it another way they under-promise and over-deliver. One can only wish that the rest of eBay were as good.

Old 01-05-2019   #45
David Murphy

I do not repair cameras like you, but I admire your skill. I am general agreement with you however regarding your camera evaluations: The Leotax DIV is the most beautiful Leotax model I have seen. Unfortunately, finding one in working condition is not easy. The F's were very well made, a fully deveolped Leica III series copy really, and are fairly inexpensive for what they are, plus many working examples exist. I also enjoy using my K as it is a very practical Leotax, a Leica II copy, with the simplicity and reliability that offers by just nixing the slow speeds.

I also concur with your earlier comments about the Canon L1 (and L2, L3 as well), They are among the most practical Canon RF's for use, with whisper quiet shutters too - similar to the Leica M2 in many respects (but not equal - as much as I love vintage Japanese rangefinders, none quite equal the M2, M2, or IIIg in my view).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafovaloff1 View Post
I have two Leotax DIV. One is now a parts camera and one bought here in the US apparently had suffered a "shock" sufficient to bend some internal parts without suffering outside apparent damage and it had holes in one curtain. Probably set aside after the damage for years. I dismantled, straightened some parts and replaced the curtains using original ribbon and laths...it is just beautiful. The Leotax F is just an awesome machine..with the early spring tension...1/20 second..and 1/1000 second with flash wiring it is very quiet and sounds like it is well tuned, particularly at 1/10 and 1/15 second...you know it is right when you hear some spring bounce in the gearing after the shutters have traveled...but be careful, the Leotax T is the same camera with 1/500 second...as nice but not the same as the 1/1000 F..the only difference I have found. When I tension the springs I start with B and not 1/500 and find that I wind up with less stressed vintage operation...like I say though I am an amateur using the video tube to check that everything is balanced and that the speeds are accurate. I use an Olympus and a Nikon with known accurate shutters for comparison...but I am not an expert at this stuff. The Leotax T [I sold my F model] was a joy to adjust with a spring restraining gears at the bottom making the finest adjustment possible and easy. Buy yourself a head fitting magnifying lens set with a loupe attached and LED illumination if you plan to do the least amount of work yourself..they are inexpensive but necessary.
Canon L1, Leotax S, Bessa R2C, Konica Autoreflex, Canon FX, Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT-101, Nikon F, Exakta VX, Miranda Automex II, Leotax K3, Yashica Mat LM, Leotax S, Pen FT, Rollei 35S, Ricoh Singlex TLS, Kowa Six, Pentax K1000, Canonflex, Praktina, Voigtlander R2C

http://legacycamera.wordpress.com

Old 01-05-2019   #46
David Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
As a more general statement I would say that this has been my experience with any camera or lens I have purchased from Japanese sellers too. It seems to be a function of both of a tendency towards a high level of honesty which seems to be expected of sellers in that country plus the fact that Japanese buyers are notoriously picky about condition of items. So sellers over describe or to put it another way they under-promise and over-deliver. One can only wish that the rest of eBay were as good.
Oh yes, I fully agree regarding the Japanese sellers. They are not perfect, but much better than the average eBay seller, and quite friendly to deal with overall. By the way, I can say the same for many of the European camera dealers that sell abroad.
Canon L1, Leotax S, Bessa R2C, Konica Autoreflex, Canon FX, Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT-101, Nikon F, Exakta VX, Miranda Automex II, Leotax K3, Yashica Mat LM, Leotax S, Pen FT, Rollei 35S, Ricoh Singlex TLS, Kowa Six, Pentax K1000, Canonflex, Praktina, Voigtlander R2C

http://legacycamera.wordpress.com

Old 01-05-2019   #47
raid
Dad Photographer

I have a Tower 35, I think. I had it CLA'd after I bought it.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/