28 mm Summicron ( 11604 )
Old 08-27-2017   #1
pet905

28 mm Summicron ( 11604 )

I have shot with a version 3 28 mm Elmarit and currently shooting with a Konica 28mm f2.8. I like the rendering of these two lenses but hoping to move up to the Summicron.

I have an opportunity to pick up a new in the box copy of this lens at a reasonable price. Seeking advice and shooting experience, particularly with film, from fellow RFF members with this lens.

Thanks in advance!

Peter

Old 08-27-2017   #2
sepiareverb
genius and moron

One of my most used lenses on film and sensor. Minor falloff wide open, balanced by lovely out of focus rendering. Great size on a film M, Not too heavy either.

Ive had two, both focussed quickly, felt very smooth.

Old 08-27-2017   #3
ferider

Great lens, and - for Leica prices - affordable since the new version came out. Love my copy, great oof, reasonably sharp wide open, and medium contrast.

Roland.

Old 08-27-2017   #4
dof
Fiat Lux

One of my favorite Leica lenses. Its rendering sits in a sweet spot between the pre-aspheric designs and the modern Leica design philosophy. For me this makes it great for use on film as the contrast is elevated but not too high.

I got my copy along with the M8 and on that body the 28mm Summicron remains my favorite roughly "35mm" lens. Now, that may seem unfair to every other 35mm lens as the crop factor takes the edges of the frame out of the equation. I mention this as it's been my primary use of the lens. And it has never disappointed in that capacity.

One of my favorites with the lens:

A flare 'torture test':

And while we're looking:

Old 08-27-2017   #5
sleepyhead

I also think that it's the overall best 28mm lens that I have ever used. My copy is biting-ly sharp at f/2. I have found that the look at this lens wide open actually pairs very nicely with the 50/1 Noctilux version IV for a beautiful low-light 28 & 50mm pair.

Old 08-27-2017   #6
Doug

I have read that some users find a preference for the imaging of the older 28mm Summicron over the newer. I have both the older 11602 (for now) and the newer 11672... I've not closely studied the difference. Indeed it's a natural for the M8.

I used the newer one exclusively for the Cuba trip last February, a break-in run so to speak, on a M-D262.

Old 08-28-2017   #7
furcafe

I've had the original 28/2 Summicron-M ASPH since 2006 (it was the "discount" lens I got directly from Leica as compensation for the IR problem w/the M8) & it has been an excellent lens on both film & digital. My only complaint was the original Leica hood, which was not only large, but also poorly made.
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.
--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram

Old 08-28-2017   #8
dirojas
dirojas

I have recently purchased one, a used original version without coding at a nice price. It is excellent wide open with not too much contrast (unlike the Zeiss ZM25 which I traded for), and no distortion at all to my eye. I am in honeymoon phase with it, I really like it. Its size is not too big, it handles perfect in the camera, but the hood is huge. I use it on a M240.

Anyway, a lens for a lifetime to me. Some pictures:

- by Diego Rojas, en Flickr

- by Diego Rojas, en Flickr

Old 08-28-2017   #9
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

I own a non coded version, and this is my most used lens. Although ASPH it is not overly contrasty like the 35 Cron ASPH, and 35 Lux ASPH Pre-FLE I also both owned. If I didn't tell you it was ASPH you wouldn't know except for the sharpness.

I get mucho wide histgrams that have so much detail.

I hate the original hood, and I bought the metal scalloped hood that is vented for the crazy price of $359.00 from Pop Flash when it was a RFF sponsor. Glad I did because I was told by a friend that this hood now is priced at $1K on EBAY. My friend ended up finding a scalloped hood for around $500.00. This hood also fitted the 35 Lux ASPH Pre-FLE I owned.

I love this lens.

Cal

Old 08-28-2017   #10
Doug

The stock hood is indeed large. The Leica hood #12589 for 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M Lens #11874 (ASPH v.1) is of the same design but smaller, and fits fine. Mine was $90 from B&H.

I got my 28mm lens in 2005 as "new old stock" from an online retailer for $720 less than the B&H price at the time, and $420 less than the retailer's price sticker on the box. I later sent it off the DAG for 6-bit coding.

Old 08-28-2017   #11
ferider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
The stock hood is indeed large. The Leica hood #12589 for 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M Lens #11874 (ASPH v.1) is of the same design but smaller, and fits fine. Mine was $90 from B&H.
My copy is very flare resistant. So, to avoid using the big original hood I just use another filter ring - works perfectly. This is my Leica dream combo, BTW, in a way all I ever need:

BTW, if anybody cares: if you are looking for a perfectly matching 35, have a look at the 35/1.7 VM Ultron. Almost a straight copy wrt design and behaves very similarly.

If you are not living on either East or West coast, here is a 28 Summicron photo that you might enjoy:

Roland.

Old 08-28-2017   #12
dof
Fiat Lux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post

I hate the original hood, and I bought the metal scalloped hood that is vented for the crazy price of $359.00 from Pop Flash when it was a RFF sponsor. Glad I did because I was told by a friend that this hood now is priced at $1K on EBAY. My friend ended up finding a scalloped hood for around $500.00. This hood also fitted the 35 Lux ASPH Pre-FLE I owned.

I love this lens.

Cal
I too found the original hood to be "less then optimal" and bought a copy of the metal version when it became available. I thought the cost then was insane. Glad I got it when I did!

Old 08-29-2017   #13
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dof View Post
I too found the original hood to be "less then optimal" and bought a copy of the metal version when it became available. I thought the cost then was insane. Glad I got it when I did!
D,

The scalloped metal hood is pure evil. I love it.

Cal

Old 08-29-2017   #14
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

I sold my 28mm Version III Elmarit and bought the Summicron. I had no problem with the performance of the Elmarit. It was plenty sharp enough and the rendering was just fine in every way. It just intruded too far into the finder. I couldn't see nearly a third of the field. I could have just used an aux finder in the top shoe. However, I elected to get the Summicron, which is bit more compact and blocks less of the built-in finder. And I have been very happy with it. The only objection to its hood is that is a little bulky and takes up more room in the bag than I would like. Trying a more compact hood sounds like a good idea.

Old 08-29-2017   #15
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

The 28 Cron is particularly great on the original MM. Very broad histograms.

Cal

Old 08-29-2017   #16
pet905

Hi Cal,

My interest in the 28mm Cron was sparked by your experience with the MM as I also have the original MM. My MM is at N.J. getting a sensor replacement and I am looking forward to its return.

Peter

Old 08-29-2017   #17
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pet905 View Post
Hi Cal,

My interest in the 28mm Cron was sparked by your experience with the MM as I also have the original MM. My MM is at N.J. getting a sensor replacement and I am looking forward to its return.

Peter
Peter,

I found using Heliopan 2X yellow filters marked specifically "Digital" to work wonders on the MM, and particularly with the 28 Cron. The 28 Cron is almost permanently mounted.

It seems Heliopan filters marked "Digital" have additional IR and UV filtering, and this cuts or eliminates clipping, broadens the histogram, and makes for these 10 zone histograms that resemble the profile of Moby Dick.

I print with a Epson 7800 with Piezography, and I tend to print large (20x30 on 24x36), but know I really could use a 44 inch 9800 or 9880 with certain files where everything is perfect. The Monochrom and 28 Cron are that good.

For me the 35 Cron ASPH was too contrasty and the 35 Lux ASPH Pre-FLE also, but the 28 Cron has this huge midrange that resembles large format.

The MM and 28 Cron is a match made in heaven.

Cal

Old 09-04-2017   #18
ferider

No Flare. Grand Tetons:

Roland.

Old 09-04-2017   #19
dof
Fiat Lux

Beautiful pictures, Roland.

Old 09-05-2017   #20
ferider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dof View Post
Beautiful pictures, Roland.
Thanks !

xxxxx

Old 09-05-2017   #21
pet905

Thank you all for your kind advice and sharing your experience with this lens.
I have purchased and taken delivery of the lens and hoping to share some photos with the lens as soon as I can get out shooting with the lens.

Peter

Old 04-21-2019   #22
Michael Markey

Leica 28 Summicron ASPH on an A7R2