Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Rolleiflex 3.5E/F and shutter speeds: Dumb Q
Old 05-16-2018   #1
roscoetuff

Rolleiflex 3.5E/F and shutter speeds: Dumb Q

So I'm reading through the manuals out there and see that you set the shutter speed to the whole numbers given. NO half-way in-betweens. So between 60 and 125 there is no 90 or 100... even if you try fudging this thing. Not sure it causes damage or not, but looks like a deal... and in my rush to get shooting, I didn't catch this until what... a week or two later.

What I'm wondering is that if this is in fact the case, and I'm pretty sure it is, then what about the apertures? Do we have a more continuous range where mid-poinst between 5.6 and 8, or 8 and 11 exist, but are simply unmarked? It seems to make sense that this would be the case, but thought I'd better check 'cause ...again, in haste, I didn't see this.

Thanks!

"Go out looking for one thing, and that's all you'll ever find." Robert J. Flaherty, Cinematographer
"If a day goes by without my doing something related to photography, it's as though I've neglected something essential to my existence, as though I had forgotten to wake up." Richard Avedon, Photographer
“There’s nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.” Ansel Adams

Old 05-16-2018   #2
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoetuff View Post
So I'm reading through the manuals out there and see that you set the shutter speed to the whole numbers given. NO half-way in-betweens. So between 60 and 125 there is no 90 or 100... even if you try fudging this thing. Not sure it causes damage or not, but looks like a deal... and in my rush to get shooting, I didn't catch this until what... a week or two later.

What I'm wondering is that if this is in fact the case, and I'm pretty sure it is, then what about the apertures? Do we have a more continuous range where mid-poinst between 5.6 and 8, or 8 and 11 exist, but are simply unmarked? It seems to make sense that this would be the case, but thought I'd better check 'cause ...again, in haste, I didn't see this.

Thanks!
Apertures are progressive. The more you turn the wheel the more it will open or close. You won't damage the shutter if you set it halfway between speeds, but you will get one or the other, not a half speed. Older shutters with the booster spring and old speed progression scale permitted variable speed setting except between 1/250 & 1/500, or 1/20 and 1/10. But the shutter fitted to the E and F series TLRs is the later type. On the plus side you can set any shutter speed available at any time whether the shutter is cocked or not, and use the timer with any speed, and it's almost impossible to accidentally jam it, so it is not all bad news.
Cheers,
Brett

Old 05-16-2018   #3
roscoetuff

Brett: Thanks!

"Go out looking for one thing, and that's all you'll ever find." Robert J. Flaherty, Cinematographer
"If a day goes by without my doing something related to photography, it's as though I've neglected something essential to my existence, as though I had forgotten to wake up." Richard Avedon, Photographer
“There’s nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.” Ansel Adams

Old 06-11-2018   #4
leicapixie

The need for intermediate speeds or apertures is kinda funky.
Film has latitude, it's exact ISO/ASA is not always as on box!
If one used pro films, one was given alternative speeds of film..
One thing to remember that 500th and f 16 or f 22, may never be accurate..
Use the Rollei, enjoy and be surprised at your "keeper" rate!

Old 06-11-2018   #5
Robert Lai

Most cameras: shutters can only be at marked speeds.
Apertures are continuously variable.