Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Film / Developing / Chemistry

View Poll Results: On average, how often do you shoot a roll of film?
Rarely 38 7.12%
1-6 per year 37 6.93%
7-12 per year 74 13.86%
2-3 per month 164 30.71%
4-10 per month 163 30.52%
10+ per month 58 10.86%
Voters: 534. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2015   #41
ramosa

Answer: Rarely.

Which sucks.

If I lived close to a good professional lab OR didn't have young kids (note: the wife won't allow chemicals in the household for that reason), I would definitely still have an M6--and it'd be my main camera. All that said, it's still a temptation ... (I'd need to send off all of my film for processing and scanning) ...

Old 03-04-2015   #42
Markus B

I shoot around 120-125 rolls of film last year (and 8 rolls so far this year). Almost all of them were 135 film, will try to shoot more 120 film this year (and hopefully more rolls of 135 film too)

Old 03-04-2015   #43
Bruno Gracia

For those who shoot more than 200 per year, are You doing thus professionally? Is fantastic!

Old 03-05-2015   #44
Vince Lupo

Well over the last couple if years it's been 'rarely' (blame my Monochrom for that situation!), but I just bought an Alpa camera this week, so hopefully that will be the motivator to shoot film! Wish me luck.

flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/direction-one-inc/sets/

'Mapping the West' - Named as one of the Best Photo Exhibits of 2016 by the Washington City Paper: https://www.flickr.com/photos/direction-one-inc/sets/72157635064297991/

Old 03-11-2015   #45
Fixcinater
Never enough smoky peat

I tend to shoot more when I don't have much of a backlog of film to process (I mostly use b&w and self-develop at home).

I tend to shoot more film when I don't have lenses to test/evaluate or post for sale.

I tend to shoot more film when I have time...scarce when I'm in school and work full time.

I tend to shoot more film when I am on vacation and feel it's a good time to use what I have hoarded/acquired lately.

Old 03-11-2015   #46
bence8810

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramosa View Post
Answer: Rarely.

Which sucks.

If I lived close to a good professional lab OR didn't have young kids (note: the wife won't allow chemicals in the household for that reason), I would definitely still have an M6--and it'd be my main camera. All that said, it's still a temptation ... (I'd need to send off all of my film for processing and scanning) ...
Maybe show this to your wife...
I often involve my son in my Film / Paper development as he enjoys hanging around when I do stuff. Having said that - he isn't allowed to touch the chemicals but neither am I - so he isn't missing out on much action by not being allowed to splash around in the Developer tray. When I am done, I wash everything pristine and store all chemicals at the top of my closet in a large plastic locked container. He is 4 now - old enough to understand that something is dangerous and the same time too young to climb to a height of ~180cm even if he got curious...

Old 03-12-2015   #47
varchs

I have started taking pictures in 2009 again, after almost a 5 years break.
I am 90% on film. I am mostly using HP5 rolled myself, home development with ilfosol 3 and I am also doing some wet printing (which is plain magic to me).
Some times I am using the cheapest film around for color.
Last year's film consumption was a 30m HP5 (almost 20 36exp rolls), a couple of rollei retro 400, 5-6 c-41 negative films, and a couple of slide films.
This equals to more les 2 films per month. I hope this year for more!
And also more prints!
Have fun!
--
VArchS | Architecture & Design Services
MyFlickr

Old 03-13-2015   #48
NickTrop

I was film's biggest defender when I first joined RFF, how many years has it been? But digital has improved to the point over the last few years that, in all honesty, it certainly rivals small format 135. Labs are closing and digital equipment costs are coming down. I just got a used Olympus ZX-1 for less than $100. The jpegs that come out of that thing are outstanding, and online printing services are high-quality and cost effective. Yes, I'm a convert, but only because used gear has depreciated and quality has improved to the point that shooting "mostly" film no longer makes sense. That said, I still shoot my Oly XA and a few point-n-shooters "for fun and old time sakes..."

This is why I'm far less active on this forum (some are likely happy about that...) I'm not really a RF film shooter these days.

Old 03-30-2015   #49
DKimg

It really depends on the number of model photoshoots I have per weekend. Usually it can be 1-2 per weekend and the average is roughly 5-7 rolls per shoot. I'm trying to keep a better track of the number of rolls I shoot, but as of now, this year alone, I've shot 167 rolls. These beginning months of the year has been busy!
Pentax 67ii / Zeiss 110FE F2
Fuji GX680 / EBC 180 F3,2

eBony-cameras RW45
Rodenstock 150mm Apo-Sironar-S
Zeiss Planar 135mm f3,5 T*

Ansco LF 8x10 / Kodak Ektar 203" f6,3

Batting Averages
Old 03-30-2015   #50
Dektol Dan

Batting Averages

I shoot 2 to 4 rolls a month. I like to shoot public events/gatherings, which is about as close to street shooting as I can get these days.

From a roll of 36 frames I usually keep 32. So one roll of film per event is sufficient. When I shoot film I'm very careful in my composition.

However, when I shoot digital, I commonly take 70-80 shots and probably keep a dozen.

There is something about that advance lever that makes all the difference in the world!!!

Old 03-30-2015   #51
traveler_101
American abroad

I voted 2-4 rolls a month, but it's probably been a bit under that in 2014 . . . all b&w 135 and all developed at home and scanned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixcinater View Post
I tend to shoot more when I don't have much of a backlog of film to process (I mostly use b&w and self-develop at home).
. . .
I would modify that: I tend to be happier and more relaxed about shooting film when I don't have a backlog. I shot more in 2013 than 2012, but I also fell way behind in developing and scanning which made me unhappy so I cut my shooting volume this past year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixcinater View Post
. . .
I tend to shoot more film when I don't have lenses to test/evaluate or post for sale.
I don't know if this affects total output but testing film varieties and equipment has been taking up more of my time over the last year. Don't mind it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTrop View Post
I was film's biggest defender when I first joined RFF, how many years has it been? But digital has improved to the point over the last few years that, in all honesty, it certainly rivals small format 135.
I see the logic of digital and it is a more powerful resolving medium than film, but I simply don't enjoy shooting digital as much as film. I use it for certain purposes, especially family snapshots and colour production. It's faster and more convenient. It doesn't replace the kinds of images I get from film.

Old 03-30-2015   #52
Dacnard
Life witness

I shoot 2 - 3 b&w rolls a month, maybe 1 color every 2 months. For me film is a state of mind, to let yourself go into this trance of both serenity and adrenaline, but at the same time being thoughtful of what is worth to be photographed and what is not. Digital is fun too but I take it feels to me less serious and therefore I rarely do it, as I try value my photo time. It is all about enjoying the process.

Old 03-31-2015   #53
jschrader

Interesting. I had ~25 rolls each in the last two years and though I do not shoot much, but seeing the poll, I have hit the peak.

With the DSLR, I had ~5000 "triggers" per year. But that does not mean 5000 photos

Old 05-02-2015   #54
[email protected]

I am into roll 155 so far in 2015. Buying bulk film and diy film development helps to save costs. This means that i can't really be choosy about film. I roll 24 exposures per roll so it is easy to finish in one sitting/day.

this is from roll 152 on polypan f on the canon pellix and 55f1.2 lens

Old 06-13-2015   #55
photomoof
Fischli & Weiss Sculpture

I use about 36 mm for each shot, with a slight amount of waste for winding.

To paraphrase Abraham Lincoln when he was asked how long his legs were. I shoot just enough rolls for the photos I need.

Old 06-13-2015   #56
Martin Carone Santos

This year i shot around 700 feet of film. mostly Double -X.

Old 06-13-2015   #57
Steele

In a month I'll usually shoot 4-6 rolls of 35mm (36 exp mostly) and in a year I might shoot 6 rolls of 120mm. Mostly portra or gold as I haven't bought the equipment and chemicals to develop B+W at home but I plan to buy it all in the next month or so. Also when I do shoot B+W, I stick to HP5+ as I haven't had great results from the 5-7 rolls of Tri-x I've shot.

I sold my Canon 60D recently so I've been able to shoot more film and I've been enjoying the process more and when I can finally develop my own film and make my own prints it'll be even better.

I use a Bessa R2M + 35mm CS f/2.5 and random point and shoots for my 35mm. I mainly shoot street photography, document my friends, the trips/places we go to and for random portraits. My Yashica 124G hardly gets use as I find it a pain to carry around at times as I like to travel light.

Old 06-13-2015   #58
ravilamir

Quote:
I might shoot 6 rolls of 120mm
If you measure 120mm, you'll find out that it can't be that.
120 is a film format, not dimensions.
Google it and you might found out how it was named that way. It has to do with a Kodak catalogue number.

Quote:
I sold my Canon 60D recently
Congratulations!
Olympus OM-1 MD, OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-4, OM10
A bunch of Nikons

Old 06-19-2015   #59
Bisakok

I used to shoot 20-30 rolls of 120 a year... but now that I've swapped all my Leica digital stuff for Rolleiflexes, it look like being 100+ rolls this year.

Old 06-19-2015   #60
Peter Wijninga

I am changing countries now and then. How much film I shoot much depends on the 35mm infra structure in place. Vietnam used to be my film and developing country but within less than 5 years the entire local infra structure had collapsed. Today, I am living in a town where I found a small ''labor of love'' studio which is still handling B&W film.

Old 06-19-2015   #61
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisakok View Post
I used to shoot 20-30 rolls of 120 a year... but now that I've swapped all my Leica digital stuff for Rolleiflexes, it look like being 100+ rolls this year.
Tomorrow alone I'll likely shoot 20-30 rolls of 120 easily (6x9, only 8 exposures a roll). I'll be carrying over 50 rolls to cover a day of shooting The Mermaid Parade.

When I shoot 120 for a day pretty easy to shoot 20 rolls with a Rollie.

Cal

Old 07-20-2015   #62
thawkins
thawkins

Not enough!

Old 07-20-2015   #63
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

100%

Chris

Old 07-20-2015   #64
p956lh

During spring-summer-fall: 2-3 rolls per month for 135, 1 roll per month for 120.

At most half of that during winter, on those rare warm sunny days (or indoors, with flash).

Old 07-30-2015   #65
varchs

I am almost at the same rate with you GeorgeH. 12 film so far for the 2015 and the las two of them are still in the cameras. It seems that I have to be out of town more often as most of my pictures are from my baby daughter.
By the way, really atmospheric work GeorgeH!!! Congrats!
--
VArchS | Architecture & Design Services
MyFlickr

Old 08-06-2015   #66
Santtu Määttänen
Visual Poet

More then I can afford.. around a roll a day (120) and some 135 in addition

Old 08-07-2015   #67
swatch

So far 2015 six rolls of 135 and 3 rolls of 120
Start self-develop BW film for more control on results
Digital is convenient as well high ISO performance is better than film ( I push Tri-X 400 to EI 1600 ) but the workflow of film is enjoyable experience

Old 01-02-2016   #68
x100art

I love shooting film as much as I love developing it. I try to keep a few rolls undeveloped so when I'm in the mood and want to relax I'll develop a few rolls of black and while listening to some classic rock mostly AC/DC and Pink Floyd. I pretty much shot street, some landscaping and family.

Old 01-02-2016   #69
Penzes

Due to time-consuming job my average numbers of rolls are declining from year to year. Once I started my own developments of film and printing the images by myself, it was 4-6 rolls a week + some slide films on holidays. No it is less than 3 in average.

I was even thinking of buying a M-Monochrome, but than I developed and printed a few nice film pictures and it had changed my mind.

Scanning is not my favorite anymore, I show much less pictures as in 2010-2013, but for the family and friends I have always a few prints available. It is quicker to develop and print, than scan. Fortunately I have a dark room installed permanently in the basement.

I saw a few posts with regard to the costs, I think film is still competitive to digital, when you consider depreciation.

in 2016 I tend to use my film cameras more!

my flickr

Old 01-03-2016   #70
RichardPhoto

My more in-depth answer:

Not as much 35mm film as I would like, but not enough large format film that I go bankrupt!

Old 01-03-2016   #71
sara

If I didn't sit infront of a dang desk Monday 9am-8pm, and half-day Saturdays, sure I'll go shoot more

I miss the freelance life.

Old 01-03-2016   #72
mcfingon
Western Australia

Ditch the dang desk, Sara! It's bad for your health I can vouch for that as an ex-IT person who spent 12 years staring at screens.
I counted 64 rolls of 35mm film for 2015. I seem to have used more than that in the number of 30 metre rolls of bulk Delta 100 I have used. My son is helping consume film.

Old 01-03-2016   #73
Fotohuis

Quote:
It is quicker to develop and print, than scan. Fortunately I have a dark room installed permanently in the basement.
Correct and scanning is a boring business.

I almost stopped using my only digital camera (Oly PEN). In 35mm all my R.F. are populair: Zorki-6, Kiev-4AM, FED-3, M7 (Leica) and in M.F. the C.V. Bessa III 667.
For 35mm and film development it is dirty cheap for me. Kodak XX 122m/400ft for less then Eur. 160, Foma, Rollei and Svema even half priced (all bought directly from the factory). For chemicals with a declining Hrivna in Ukraine the chemicals are very low in price. From 1:10 2013 to 1:25 now in 2016. So the prices came down 2,5x. A pity for the € versus US$ which went the other direction 1,45 in 2013 to 1,1 now. Fortunately I bought in Summer last year a reasonable amount of Kodak 5222 XX. So actual I am on 95%+ on film and classical photo paper (PE/RC and Fiber) now. For digital: Rests my iPhone / iPad ..... (Digital compacts will be death within a few years).

Old 01-03-2016   #74
icebear

I recently sold all my film M's and traded in for a Q. I don't see me ever going back to film. I had access to a pro lab and darkroom for a couple of years and printing was great fun and I have achieved pretty decent results, better than and commercial lab I had to use afterwards but to be honest the improvement I am able to get within 1 minute in LR is vastly superior (and much easier) than anything I could do in the wet darkroom. and for that matter I also don't like to sit in front of the monitor.

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 01-03-2016   #75
Santtu Määttänen
Visual Poet

For me the darkroom is a home with in my home Computer is working at the office while at home. So for all my purposes, I rather spend my time getting my hands dirty in my basement, then sitting in front of a computer. Some of my work is still made with hybrid workflow, but I'm enjoying the darkroom more then anything I can do to an image in front of a computer. Besides it's faster to really see what you're getting at when you have physical product in your hand, then on the screen.. For me at least.

Old 01-03-2016   #76
sara

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfingon View Post
Ditch the dang desk, Sara! It's bad for your health I can vouch for that as an ex-IT person who spent 12 years staring at screens.
I counted 64 rolls of 35mm film for 2015. I seem to have used more than that in the number of 30 metre rolls of bulk Delta 100 I have used. My son is helping consume film.
I know!

Looking for a new/more flexible job already, even more unhealthy if my boss thinks it's early to leave at 8pm and gives us a disapproving look if we leave on time!

I need to get back to shooting, its depressing me!

Old 01-03-2016   #77
Mcary

"Rarely" Only film camera I currently own/use is a Crown Graphic 4x5 and just haven't had the motivation to take it out and use it much over the past 6 months or so.

Old 01-03-2016   #78
Vics

I'm moving from "rarely" to "2-3 per month" as I shift back to film from my digi experiment. Nikon FM for Tri-x, Pentax K1000 for Velvia.

My Flickr

Old 01-03-2016   #79
leicapixie

I shoot everyday, using Digital point and shoot!
Only film with buddies, who do film and occasionally alone.
I checked my darkroom film log and was stunned.
I have shot 47 films last year, almost one a week..
Still prefer my old film cameras.

Old 01-03-2016   #80
tho60

How much do shoot- a very good question. However, a more interesting one: how much film do you store at home?