Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Wearing RF every day.
Old 11-17-2016   #1
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Wearing RF every day.

Do you wear your rangefinder camera every day if going out from home, work?

I do most of the time, but most of the time I'll miss the moment. Just yesterday, driving and here is police cruiser smashed the light, traffic light pole and not so far from it person in the batman costume. I drove by and didn't turned around...

On previous week one person run by me on the Go Train station and came back to introduce him self. He is photographer and he invited be to the local public darkroom in Burlington (ON).

Yesterday, I came to Burlington Camera to buy enlarger paper and was asked about my ELC M3, I told it is one of the last which Bodo has for sale before he has passed away this summer. They told me what this person in Hamilton who has closed his store and was doing Leica CLA also passed away few days ago. It was sad to hear...
I drove for five minutes, stopped at Costco to order winter tires. Young lady in tires department asked me about M3 which I was wearing and mentioned darkroom prints. I replied what I'm printing indeed. She told me about building her first darkroom...

Old 11-17-2016   #2
BLKRCAT
99% Film

I carry almost every day. M4, M5 with 50's one high speed for low light, one slower for everyday shooting.

Did you pick a 50 yet?

Old 11-17-2016   #3
mpaniagua

I take my m6 with 35 Summicron and 50 Summilux to my office. Usually take a walk on lunch time. Sometimes I get some good pictures.

Old 11-17-2016   #4
presspass
filmshooter

Except when I'm traveling with Nikon Fs and lenses, there's always a rangefinder and at least three lenses with me. I have been documenting our local volunteer fire company since the early 70s and make a book of 8x10 black and white prints every year. Obviously, when there's a call, I don't have time to go home for the cameras, so they're with me. Today's kit is a IIIa, 50 Summar, 35 Elmar, and 90 Elmar, an incident meter, and an extra roll of HP5+.

Old 11-17-2016   #5
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Usually I have a camera with me besides the one in my phone. Most often an M, but a Contax T2/3, Rollei or the 667W sometimes instead.

Old 11-17-2016   #6
oftheherd

I usually try to keep my XA with me all the time, or my Sony P&S digital. Sadly I don't often take photos with either one, but more with the P&S as I use it for family photos and for photos at work.

Old 11-17-2016   #7
johnwolf

I always carry my MM to work in an insert in my backpack, but it usually comes out only when I consciously go shooting. For the daily stream of life my GR is a far better companion.

John

Old 11-17-2016   #8
nikonhswebmaster
reluctant moderator

What a funny concept, wearing one's camera.

Old 11-17-2016   #9
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKRCAT View Post
I carry almost every day. M4, M5 with 50's one high speed for low light, one slower for everyday shooting.

Did you pick a 50 yet?
So far only 29$ I-22, which I'm trying to get it re-shimmed for M3.
I haven't sold my 50 Rigid yet to buy something in the same price range.

Old 11-17-2016   #10
brennanphotoguy

Every day. M3/50DR in my Domke F3XB. Up until recently at least. I started getting rides to work so I don't shoot much since I'm just in a car with a friend. Once my IIIg gets back from Youxin next week (I assume) I'll be cramming that in my jacket pocket every day because I won't need to carry a bag.

Old 11-17-2016   #11
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I was carrying my camera constantly but found it was becoming an annoyance. Once something becomes an annoyance, I stop using it. So now I carry a camera when it seems I might find the Muse knocking on my head. :-)

(Sometimes I carry it down to the car and put it in the trunk 'just in case.' That works a surprising lot of the time.)

G

Old 11-17-2016   #12
John Lawrence

I don't carry a camera with me every day - but then (in my case) I don't always feel like taking pictures every day - and don't see the point in carrying a camera when I have no intention or interest in using it.

Cheers,

John

Old 11-17-2016   #13
Huss

I have a camera (normally film RF) with me anytime I leave the house, no matter what I am doing. In the evening I will also pack a compact flash gun, just in case.
It's got to the point that if I am not wearing a camera, I feel something is missing.

I look forward to taking photos all the time, and some of the best ones have been just because I happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Old 11-17-2016   #14
Mackinaw
Think Different

A rangefinder camera, no. My cell phone (with camera), yes.

Jim B.

http://snowcountryphotography.com

My RFF Gallery:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 11-17-2016   #15
Pentode

I used to carry an RF folder in my coat at all times, but I took a bunch of years off from shooting and, now that I'm getting back into it, I find myself with a coat that doesn't really lend itself to carrying a camera .

My shoulder bag's crappy for it also; too deep to get a camera out quickly.

I have to figure something out soon, either a new bag or a new coat, I guess, but for now it's the cell phone camera until I find a better solution.

Old 11-17-2016   #16
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lawrence View Post
I don't carry a camera with me every day - but then (in my case) I don't always feel like taking pictures every day - and don't see the point in carrying a camera when I have no intention or interest in using it.

Cheers,

John
I was approaching slowly the red light, in front of me driving on the left it was Range Rover and on the right it was old British roadster. I've seen it as picture, slightly blurred and balanced, but no camera on me.
Another day I was at another red light, waiting, two guys walking in-front, one with big water bottle, both are cool, light is perfect - no camera on me.
I'm not in the big city most of the time, where you step out and life jumps on you. Something interesting happened around me just few times from Monday to Friday. Something worth of trying to print. But I never know where and then.

Garry Winogrand has significant number of pictures taken while driving.

Cheers, Ko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I have a camera (normally film RF) with me anytime I leave the house, no matter what I am doing. In the evening I will also pack a compact flash gun, just in case.
It's got to the point that if I am not wearing a camera, I feel something is missing.

I look forward to taking photos all the time, and some of the best ones have been just because I happened to be in the right place at the right time.
I'm not the only one, but one exactly like this If no camera on me (and Canada hat) I feel nakked.

Old 11-17-2016   #17
grouchos_tash

I have been off work sick for nearly a month and have been taking walks and found that my X-T10 with 27mm is just small and light enough to fit in my coat pocket. I've taken more pictures than I ever would normally. I live in quite a rough area and I would certainly draw attention to myself with a camera round my neck, so I often feel uncomfortable with a camera on show, they're always in bag.

flickr

www.garyharding.website

Old 11-17-2016   #18
Michael Markey

I carry a film Rf every day usually together with a digital compact but they`re always in a bag.

Old 11-17-2016   #19
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Gary, get well soon!

Old 11-17-2016   #20
Crazy Fedya

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonhswebmaster View Post
What a funny concept, wearing one's camera.
The same word in Russian stands for carry and wear.

Old 11-17-2016   #21
mpaniagua

Get well soon Gary. Best wishes.

Old 11-17-2016   #22
hap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
So far only 29$ I-22, which I'm trying to get it re-shimmed for M3.
I haven't sold my 50 Rigid yet to buy something in the same price range.
as the 50 Rigid....or the I-22.

Suggest a J8 if you need to go cheap. I have two , one which Brian Sweeney adjusted. Both are good and they are not expensive.

Hap

Old 11-17-2016   #23
emraphoto

i carry a camera every day but i left slr's, rangefinders etc. a long time ago and now have a rule... 'if it don't fit in my pant pocket it is of no interest to me'.

my one and only rule. but i carry a camera EVERYWHERE.

Old 11-17-2016   #24
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

I try to always carry a small folding 35mm camera in the inside chest pocket of my coat.
I have several used in rotation. The mostly plastic models are the most easily pocketable.
Chris

Old 11-17-2016   #25
gb hill

I drive a 10 wheel tanker truck delivering motor oil to oil change places & usually have a film camera with me. The truck is new, 16 Freightliner & don't shake very much at all but I choose to carry P&S type camera's with me. For the past few weeks I have been carrying my Oly-Pen EES-2 half frame camera. I like the size of it. Fits in a pants pocket really nice.

Old 11-17-2016   #26
grouchos_tash

Quote:
Gary, get well soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaniagua View Post
Get well soon Gary. Best wishes.
Thanks I'm back to work on Monday; gastritis is a nasty business.

flickr

www.garyharding.website

Old 11-17-2016   #27
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by emraphoto View Post
i carry a camera every day but i left slr's, rangefinders etc. a long time ago and now have a rule... 'if it don't fit in my pant pocket it is of no interest to me'.

my one and only rule. but i carry a camera EVERYWHERE.

That struck a chord.
Although my previous post is largely correct in that I have a bag with me most days I do find myself going out more and more with just a GRV in my pocket.

Pleased that you`re on the mend Gary.

Old 11-18-2016   #28
mcfingon
Western Australia

I carry/wear my camera (M6 at moment) in a bumbag (that's what we call it in Oz) that's around my waist and only visible when I want to use it. It can be adjusted to go outside my jacket so it doesn't get vibration form the motorbike.

Old 11-18-2016   #29
David Hughes

Hi,

There's no simple answer to this question; taking it literally I'd have to say "No, never" but I'll explain.

I usually take a camera with me when I go out and I usually stick it in my coat or jacket pocket; sometimes film and sometimes digital; sometimes a P&S and now and then a small RF like the Konica C35. In the summer it goes in the bum/banana bag.

If I take a bigger camera like the M2 or an SLR then I use a small bag for the other lenses etc. Now and then I'll fit the thing with a shoulder strap but I always find the straps get in the way when I hold it.

Hanging it round my neck seems daft to me as it can swing about and hit things like the freezers in the supermarket and so on. That's when a decent P&S is more useful. And try going out for a drink or meal with a camera hung round your neck. There's no point in sticking out like a sore thumb if it's a social occasion and you want a few photo's...

Regards, David

Old 11-18-2016   #30
lynnb

I carry a camera in my hand (strap around wrist) when I'm in a "target rich" environment.

Otherwise I always carry either a Rollei 35S or Barnack (with 35 or 50) in my shoulder messenger bag. Preset for existing light conditions and prefocused at 6m.

If I'm working on a project, I might carry a folder, SLR or TLR.
Flickr

Old 11-18-2016   #31
LukasB

Either X100T or (more likely.) M2 + CV 35/1.4SC are carried every day. I think only about a week or so in total this year I have been without - in which case I use my Phone. More inconspicuous to be looking at a Phone these days than handling a Film Camera.

Old 11-18-2016   #32
Pentode

Quote:
I'm not in the big city most of the time, where you step out and life jumps on you.
This is a great turn of phrase.

Living in a big city long enough, I often forget just how often I'm jumped upon!

Old 11-18-2016   #33
Steve M.

The most important thing is to make sure your straps are properly aligned before leaving the house, and if you can compliment the colours of the day's choice of costume, so much the better.

Old 11-18-2016   #34
robert blu
quiet photographer

No, not always. Very oft ? not really, the only camera I had with me very oft was/is the Leica X1 because of size and the biggest (IMO) digital benefit, the ability to change iso depending on light situation.
robert
PS: after having read this thread I'll try with the M7 to see a daily use works...

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 11-18-2016   #35
John Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post
The most important thing is to make sure your straps are properly aligned before leaving the house, and if you can compliment the colours of the day's choice of costume, so much the better.
Clearly this is where I'm going wrong.

I own a Fogg camera bag and it's far more elegant than I can ever be......

Cheers,

John

Old 11-18-2016   #36
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

I carry my Bessa-R in my school bag almost everyday. Now I'm traveling with the same bag and the same camera.

Last winter I kept a Zorki-1 + collapsible Industar-50 in my jacket pocket all the time. It served me well.

flickr

About Film Cameras

Old 11-18-2016   #37
unixrevolution

I always carry my Galaxy S5 with its excellent in-built camera, and my Sony RX100 (Mk 1) in my pocket. Those are with me anywhere I"m not legally forbidden from having them.

I also try to carry at least one other camera with me, most of the time. Not always an RF. Definitely not always my Leica. I carry a Minolta SLR kit, one of several Pentax kits, A 6x7, A TLR, My Bronica, one of many fixed-lens shooters like an Electro 35 or a Retina IIa. I do like the conversations my film cameras start with others, even non-photographers.

"I decided to stop collecting cameras and become a photographer."

Old 11-18-2016   #38
fenixv8

Always have my M8 with me. 35 and 50 cron. If its going to rain I bring my Xpro2+35f2wr.

Try to get out at lunch time for a walk.

Old 11-18-2016   #39
Richard G

Every day for 6 or 7 years. Wear? No. The Leica II has no strap lugs and sits in the outer pocket of my small bag. Either the Monochrom or M9-P is in my lap as I reverse out the drive. Anything from 28-50mm attached. Once used a 21 for a week or two. Walk at lunchtime. Most days too busy and no pictures. Others I get photos I'd only get if I carried a camera every day. Like you, many gems I still end up missing.

Old 11-18-2016   #40
zuikologist

I wish I had done that this morning as someone dressed in full Darth Vader came striding down the middle of the road at me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
Every day for 6 or 7 years. Wear? No. The Leica II has no strap lugs and sits in the outer pocket of my small bag. Either the Monochrom or M9-P is in my lap as I reverse out the drive. Anything from 28-50mm attached. Once used a 21 for a week or two. Walk at lunchtime. Most days too busy and no pictures. Others I get photos I'd only get if I carried a camera every day. Like you, many gems I still end up missing.