Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

TLR Carrying (Rolleiflex 3.5 E/F or any TLR)
Old 05-15-2018   #1
roscoetuff

TLR Carrying (Rolleiflex 3.5 E/F or any TLR)

Curious what folks do with the TLR's on a shoot or when just walking around. I've been comfortable with a neck strap - even though it gets in the way at times - and putting the whole kit (filters, film, meter etc) in a small Lowepro bag. But I'm new to this TLR thing. Yes, I like that I can fit all the "stuff" in a small bag... especially no space killing, pound hogging "extra" lenses. And yes, of course they're never really extra in my mind... they just seem to end up dead weight 90% of the time with my other camera kits.

Camera came with the "never ready" case... and I can see it was aptly renamed. On the other hand, I can also see that if you're carrying this stuff all day long with the camera 'round your neck, maybe you could end up with an unplanned "bump" or "bang" somewhere and the never ready might help there. Aside from the fact that the case itself can be a source of chaff and wear-and-tear, I wonder about the utility. Curious about your thoughts, experience and recommendations - if any.

"Go out looking for one thing, and that's all you'll ever find." Robert J. Flaherty, Cinematographer
"If a day goes by without my doing something related to photography, it's as though I've neglected something essential to my existence, as though I had forgotten to wake up." Richard Avedon, Photographer
“There’s nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.” Ansel Adams

Old 05-15-2018   #2
besk

I carried my Rolleiflex 3.5 F "Whiteface" on a 2 1/2 week trip to eastern Europe last summer in a lightweight messenger bag. That was about the lightest kit I have ever carried. I don't own a "never ready " case and only brought out the camera when I was ready to make an exposure.

Old 05-15-2018   #3
brennanphotoguy

Ditch the case. It's a pain in the butt. I sold mine that was in pretty good shape aside from a few stitches being loose for $100 too. When I shoot with it I leave it around my neck most of the time then it just goes back in my bag. When I'm shooting two cameras (mostly at weddings) I either put my main camera around my neck and the other around my shoulder or I leave it sitting somewhere in the room I'm shooting in. If I'm shooting on location I always have both cameras on me at all times.

Old 05-15-2018   #4
f16sunshine

I always had neck strap with one arm through. The camera hangs at side and can be cradled in hand (rh for me).
It easily slide to the center of my chest to compose and then, back to my right hip area to "disappear" behind my Right hand and arm.
I do this with every camera other than a folder which I usually go wrist strap to tripod lug mount on right hand.

Old 05-15-2018   #5
LKSC

I dislike the bulk of a neckstrap as well. For years I've used just a wrist strap that acts as insurance when I am holding the camera, which stays in a bag until I want to use it.

Old 05-15-2018   #6
Steve M.

Yep, a strap slung over one shoulder is how I do it too. Never cared for the cases, and those fancy Billingham bags that scream "expensive camera in here!" aren't for me either. I want the camera available in case a shot appears. On the straps, it really helps if you get a wide one, and the springy types don't put all the pressure on one part of your body.

Old 05-15-2018   #7
farlymac
PF McFarland

If all the knobs are on one side, like with a Rolleicord, I like to use a bracket mounted left handed.

PF

Old 05-15-2018   #8
roscoetuff

So do you have a bag for film, filters, or rolleinars and the like... or do you try to keep all that in a pocket? (Which is to ask... how lean can you go?)

"Go out looking for one thing, and that's all you'll ever find." Robert J. Flaherty, Cinematographer
"If a day goes by without my doing something related to photography, it's as though I've neglected something essential to my existence, as though I had forgotten to wake up." Richard Avedon, Photographer

Old 05-15-2018   #9
farlymac
PF McFarland

All that stuff fits in a Lowe Pro Nova 1 bag when I use a strap, or a slightly larger no-name bag when I use the bracket.

PF

Old 05-15-2018   #10
CMur12

I don't usually walk any great distance with a TLR, so I typically have it affixed to a tripod, with lens hood, filter(s), and remote release already attached. I sling the tripod and camera over my shoulder and carry it in this manner. Sometimes I wear a photographer's vest to carry light meters and any other needed accessories.

- Murray

Old 05-15-2018   #11
aizan

like any other camera, i use the case when i'm traveling without a camera bag. that way i can throw it in my tote bag or whatever and not bang it up. i'd keep the case if you do the same thing.

one of the nice things about rolleis is how the strap lugs make it so easy to remove and attach a strap. that's very handy when you're going back and forth between handheld and tripod shots.

Old 05-16-2018   #12
Greyscale

My favorite way to carry is a hand strap, like the one in this photo, otherwise a neck strap. Filters, extra film? If they can’t fit in my pocket, they stay at home.

My RFF Gallery

Old 05-16-2018   #13
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
one of the nice things about rolleis is how the strap lugs make it so easy to remove and attach a strap. that's very handy when you're going back and forth between handheld and tripod shots.
Indeed, that's very handy. I often remove the strap when the camera is on a tripod. I'm always paranoid about camera shake on windy days and I'd rather not have the strap flapping around like a sail!

Old 05-16-2018   #14
EdSawyer

I don't use a strap at all, just cradle it when shooting then back in the bag when not. I use a Tamrac 5696, which holds a Rollei nearly perfectly, and has an extra pocket or two for a couple filters, 3-4 rolls of film, the hood and maybe something else really small. But it's a very light package overall and quite tidy. The bag can be used on a belt or with a removable shoulder strap.

Old 05-16-2018   #15
roscoetuff

farlymac: Wow. Guess that's more or less what I have and I'm using at the moment 'cause it's lying around and it works. Once upon a time, I rented a Sony A7 ...which I subsequently bought from Lensrentals. They shipped it in a Lowe Pro Nova 160 and I've loved that bag ever since. Fits all the TLR stuff just right (Sony found it's way into a ThinkTank holster where it lives). Like they say, "Who'd have thunk it?"

And yeah... I keep camera cases to re-sell with the camera if the time comes. Have to say though, as much as I resisted the TLR Rolleis, Rolleiflex, and even Leica (film) M's before that, these cameras really are keepers that make photography simple. Sometimes... the market's right as rain.

Old 05-16-2018   #16
coogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
My favorite way to carry is a hand strap, like the one in this photo, otherwise a neck strap. Filters, extra film? If they can’t fit in my pocket, they stay at home.

Mine too. I never ever used a neck strap for a camera, but a TLR is perfect for a carry handle like this. I can’t relate to wearing a camera, i prefer to carry one.

Old 05-16-2018   #17
roscoetuff

Greyscale: So I see the longer strap is the neck strap and they sell these as a two-fer deal. Seems they have two types of connectors to the camera: 1) Webbing and 2) Loop Cord of the sort now popular to use on sailboats for chaff-free block connections (very strong). Which did you swing for?

Last edited by roscoetuff : 05-16-2018 at 12:39. Reason: Changed the content after connecting with DeadCameras

Old 05-16-2018   #18
Greyscale

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoetuff View Post
Greyscale: So I see the longer strap is the neck strap and they sell these as a two-fer deal. Seems they have two types of connectors to the camera: 1) Webbing and 2) Loop Cord of the sort now popular to use on sailboats for chaff-free block connections (very strong). Which did you swing for?
I use the loop cord.

My RFF Gallery

Old 05-16-2018   #19
roscoetuff

Thanks Greyscale.

Old 05-16-2018   #20
bayernfan

i use a super comfy (bright red) Canon pro wide strap. I connect it to the Rolleiflex via Peak Design anchor links. No problem carrying it all day. I wear it over a shoulder if I'm not shooting, and around my neck when I am.

i also use the same strap/link setup for my nikon f2 (which is a heavy little beast).

Old 05-16-2018   #21
besk

The currier type bag I use is the Bare Bones Bag Evolution BBBe. Very light and just large enough for the Rollie with film and light meter etc. And it doesn't stand out. Used to carry it in my Domke F-803 satchel but that bag is heavy and large in comparison.

Old 05-18-2018   #22
Hogarth Ferguson

I did a 2 week trip in India with my Rolleiflex, I just carried it in my hand. I had a bag as well, but for the most part I just carry it around. Same with my hasselblad, I don't use straps ever. They are just uncomfortable for me.

Old 05-18-2018   #23
farlymac
PF McFarland

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoetuff View Post
farlymac: Wow. Guess that's more or less what I have and I'm using at the moment 'cause it's lying around and it works. Once upon a time, I rented a Sony A7 ...which I subsequently bought from Lensrentals. They shipped it in a Lowe Pro Nova 160 and I've loved that bag ever since. Fits all the TLR stuff just right (Sony found it's way into a ThinkTank holster where it lives). Like they say, "Who'd have thunk it?"

And yeah... I keep camera cases to re-sell with the camera if the time comes. Have to say though, as much as I resisted the TLR Rolleis, Rolleiflex, and even Leica (film) M's before that, these cameras really are keepers that make photography simple. Sometimes... the market's right as rain.

Mind you, I haven't tried the bracket with the Rolleiflex, only my Yashica 635, so I don't know if it fits the Lowe Pro. It might though with the Rolleicord, so I'll have to fit it up to see.

And Lord help me, I just purchased a Hasselblad 500C. I'm running out of camera bags!

PF

Old 05-20-2018   #24
Ron (Netherlands)

Rollei's always in their orignal leather cases with neckstraps...I use the strap as a sort of tripod, especially for low shutterspeeds: stretching the neckstrap straight

Leica: IIa synch conversion, IIIb, M6 TTL Millenium, 2x Rolleicord Vb, 2x Rolleiflex 3.5F white face, Rolleiflex 2.8A, 5x ICA Tropica

My Flickr

Old 05-20-2018   #25
Deardorff38

Neckstrap for me. Like Ron, I pull down against the strap at slower shutter speeds or for more precise framing. Works like a charm

Old 06-01-2018   #26
Kapa

An old Op/Tech USA neoprene strap does the job for me. Really comfortable around the neck, plus I've always found a strap useful for longer shutter speeds. The original case stays at home for when it's ready to sell.

ferguscunningham.com