Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Nikon Historical Society

Nikon Historical Society -- hosted by the founding member Bob Rotoloni and members of the society. The NHS, based the US, has a worldwide membership. Our "Nikon Journal," published four times a year, concentrates on the history of Japanese photo equipment from the perspective of the Nikon Camera Company. The Nikon Journal often includes Nikon information not published anywhere else in the world. This forum provides an opportunity for conversation between collectors and users of classic film Nikons. See forum “stickies” for more information about the Society. If you are a serious Nikon Collector, you MUST be a NHS member. Join at http://www.nikonhistoricalsociety.com/!

Thank Leica for the Nikon S3 2000
Old 07-12-2019   #1
Huss

Thank Leica for the Nikon S3 2000

Stunning really what Nikon went through to recreate the S3 2000 (and later the SP).

Full story here:

https://imaging.nikon.com/history/ch...index.htm#id03

Quote:
In the spring of 1994, driven by the surge of enthusiasm for Leica and other classic cameras, Mito Nikon initiated a new project to reproduce a Nikon's rangefinder camera which had once enjoyed great popularity for its outstanding performance.
They must have lost money on those cameras. But wow.

Old 07-13-2019   #2
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Meh, I like my translation better

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...ZGQwZWQ2?hl=en

Old 07-13-2019   #3
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

So, they were trying to still Leica thunder, but got pooped. ?
Maybe because FED was still making FED-5 until 1991. Plenty of non Leica, but new RF back then.
Huss, you could still find NNU FED-5 on eBay .

Old 07-13-2019   #4
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
So, they were trying to still Leica thunder, but got pooped. ?
Maybe because FED was still making FED-5 until 1991. Plenty of non Leica, but new RF back then.
Huss, you could still find NNU FED-5 on eBay .
There's one here, butt man is that kamera ugly!

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread.../#post-2187356

Old 07-13-2019   #5
raid
Dad Photographer

Do you guys like the Nikon S3 2000?

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 07-13-2019   #6
Deardorff38

Raid, They're all beautiful, but the SP has always been the one that caught my eye. The 2000 with the 35mm 1.8..... is hard to stay away from. It's just a dream though. I buy cameras to use, & i like printing from bigger negatives...so it will stay a dream.

Old 07-13-2019   #7
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I had a Nikon S2 to use for a time many, many years ago (about 1970-71).

(I remember the time period because I took the very last photo ever made of my father with it at my grandmother's apartment the Sunday after Christmas in 1970...)

It was a nice camera, the body felt a lot like a smaller, trimmer version of my Nikon F. But I liked the feel of the Leica M3 that my grandfather had more.

G

Old 07-13-2019   #8
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
I agree with Jon.

Nikon does not need inspiration from Leica.

Stephen

Old 07-13-2019   #9
raid
Dad Photographer

Nikon, Canon, and Leica are three great companies.

Old 07-13-2019   #10
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
There's one here, butt man is that kamera ugly!

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread.../#post-2187356
Huss, it is Kiev-5.

Here is FED-5 among others.

Old 07-13-2019   #11
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Do you guys like the Nikon S3 2000?

I've never hold one in my hands, but I prefer the S2 to the original S3 or SP. This has to do with the fact that for the S3 and SP no correction lenses are available for the eyepiece. For the S2 these are difficult to find, but I have a couple of them.

Erik.

This is my S2.

Old 07-13-2019   #12
raid
Dad Photographer

I once bought a Nikon S3 2000 with the 50/1.4 strictly to get the lens.
I have still not used the camera. I may do this soon.

Old 07-13-2019   #13
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I never hold in my hands either. The reason?
Just like Huss, I prefer new (in condition) cameras to old ones. And I trust in Nikon build more than in Leica.
But then I asked known photog why he switched from S3 2000 to M3, the answer was, "it felt like empty tin"

The lens it comes with is good on pictures. Too bad I'm OK with just a J3 for 50 on film.

Old 07-13-2019   #14
Huss

Quote:
?
Still says they reissued because of the popularity of Leicas.

Old 07-13-2019   #15
Huss

Quote:
Huss, it is Kiev-5.

Here is FED-5 among others.
Ahhhh, ok thanks!

Old 07-13-2019   #16
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I once bought a Nikon S3 2000 with the 50/1.4 strictly to get the lens.
I have still not used the camera. I may do this soon.
Silver or black?

Old 07-13-2019   #17
Huss

Quote:
I never hold in my hands either. The reason?
Just like Huss, I prefer new (in condition) cameras to old ones. And I trust in Nikon build more than in Leica.
But then I asked known photog why he switched from S3 2000 to M3, the answer was, "it felt like empty tin"

The lens it comes with is good on pictures. Too bad I'm OK with just a J3 for 50 on film.
I have a Nikon S2, and in no way does it feel like empty tin! Comparing it to my Leicas, it does not feel as incredible, but it still feels pretty darn incredible!
And the film advance on the S2 feels smoother and more solid than any of my Ms.

Old 07-13-2019   #18
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
I have a Nikon S2, and in no way does it feel like empty tin! Comparing it to my Leicas, it does not feel as incredible, but it still feels pretty darn incredible!
And the film advance on the S2 feels smoother and more solid than any of my Ms.

I was talking strictly about S3 2000. The original Nikon RF seems to be not like S3 2000. But they all have VF without parallax correction. Which is not Leica level, but FED-50. .

Old 07-13-2019   #19
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Silver or black?
I can check it out.

It is the silver model after all.

Old 07-13-2019   #20
Huss

Quote:
I was talking strictly about S3 2000. The original Nikon RF seems to be not like S3 2000. But they all have VF without parallax correction. Which is not Leica level, but FED-50. .
I'm with you on that, strange that there is no parallax correction.
And because of that and the cluttered frame lines in the VF, I find the S2 nicer to use as it only has the 50mm frame lines.

But the black S3 2000 is sooooo pretty! Almost as nice as my spray can black paint Kiev 4AM..

Old 07-13-2019   #21
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
I've never hold one in my hands, but I prefer the S2 to the original S3 or SP. This has to do with the fact that for the S3 and SP no correction lenses are available for the eyepiece. For the S2 these are difficult to find, but I have a couple of them.

Erik.

This is my S2.

Dang that is nice looking.

Old 07-14-2019   #22
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
?
Still says they reissued because of the popularity of Leicas.
Jon is a professional Japanese to English Translator.

I trust Jon's take on what is the most accurate translation.

Stephen

Old 07-14-2019   #23
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
Jon is a professional Japanese to English Translator.

I trust Jon's take on what is the most accurate translation.

Stephen
Jon's:
In the spring of 1994, the popularity of
classic cameras such as Leica was extremely high, so Mito Nikon started a new project to reissue a camera
recognized as the pinnacle of Nikon, a rangefinder camera.

Nikon's:
In the spring of 1994, driven by the surge of enthusiasm for Leica and other classic cameras, Mito Nikon initiated a new project to
reproduce a Nikon's rangefinder camera which had once enjoyed great popularity for its outstanding performance.

Both say that the reason for the S3 2000 project was Leica. So thank you Leica for giving us the S3 2000!

Old 07-14-2019   #24
Hogarth Ferguson

I had a Nikon S3 sometime in 2013, this is what I consider to be the most beautiful camera ever made (personal opinion, no need to tell me I'm wrong). But, the RF patch, arguably the most important part in the camera, was so dim that using the camera was not even close to a joy. I sold it and always wanted another.

Recently, while trying to sell my gf670 as I barely used it, someone offered me a trade for a boxed s3 2000, so I figured I'd go for it. I'd prefer the camera to have a meter, but I think I'll manage with the VCii I have.

My only real complaint about the camera is that the 50mm seems very front heavy, whereas other RF cameras and even other RF lenses for this camera, have a more robust way of mounting.

The camera does not feel as solid as a brick as a leica, and the focus throw is massive, but it is an awesome, beautiful, well built, and fun camera to use.

Old 07-14-2019   #25
css9450

Quote:
Jon's:
classic cameras such as Leica was extremely high...

Nikon's:
In the spring of 1994, driven by the surge of enthusiasm for Leica and other classic cameras...
I must be missing something. Was 1994 a particularly well-selling year for the M6? I tend to think that even if Leica had abandoned the M line in 1975, Nikon still would have made the S3 2000.

Old 07-14-2019   #26
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Any company will be inspired by the actions of it's competitors but giving credit to Leica for the Nikon RF rebirth is stretching it for me. It's a bit like thanking Audi for the Subaru WRX.

Old 07-14-2019   #27
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Jon's:
classic cameras such as Leica was extremely high, so Mito Nikon started a new project to reissue a camera
recognized as the pinnacle of Nikon, a rangefinder camera.

Nikon's:
In the spring of 1994, driven by the surge of enthusiasm for Leica and other classic cameras, Mito Nikon initiated a new project to
reproduce a Nikon's rangefinder camera which had once enjoyed great popularity for its outstanding performance.

Both say that the reason for the S3 2000 project was Leica. So thank you Leica for giving us the S3 2000!
Semantics man, semantics! Classic cameras including (but not limited to) Leica. The early to mid 1990s was the peak of the bubble in Japan, and all the guys in their 40s and 50s who were feeling rich were buying up all the cameras they couldn't afford to buy when they were younger. Neither translation is referring to the M6

Interesting back story to this translation (well, as far as I'm concerned). I think it was about 2007 or so when this article and the one on the SP 2005 were posted in Japanese on the now defunct Nikon archives website (the articles have long since been deleted). Since the articles contained a wealth of information I expected English translations to follow soon after, but none did so almost a year later I translated them myself and posted them on the NHS website. Shortly afterwards, I casually mentioned my translations to the guy in charge of the Nikon archives, and he responded by telling me to take them down. Ooops, that didn't go as planned. Anyway, I did, but before I did, he copied them and used them as a base for his own translations, which are on the Nikon website to this day. Oh well, and least those translations turned out better than the translations that usually get posted.

BTW most Nikon collectors consider the SP to be the pinnacle of Nikon RFs. After copping so much flak for making a reissue of the lowly S3 instead of an SP, Nikon ended up having to appease its fans and make a reissue SP anyway. Oh and the SP has parallax correction.

Old 07-14-2019   #28
Huss

Quote:
Semantics man, semantics! Classic cameras including (but not limited to) Leica. The early to mid 1990s was the peak of the bubble in Japan, and all the guys in their 40s and 50s who were feeling rich were buying up all the cameras they couldn't afford to buy when they were younger. Neither translation is referring to the M6

Interesting back story to this translation (well, as far as I'm concerned). I think it was about 2007 or so when this article and the one on the SP 2005 were posted in Japanese on the now defunct Nikon archives website (the articles have long since been deleted). Since the articles contained a wealth of information I expected English translations to follow soon after, but none did so almost a year later I translated them myself and posted them on the NHS website. Shortly afterwards, I casually mentioned my translations to the guy in charge of the Nikon archives, and he responded by telling me to take them down. Ooops, that didn't go as planned. Anyway, I did, but before I did, he copied them and used them as a base for his own translations, which are on the Nikon website to this day. Oh well, and least those translations turned out better than the translations that usually get posted.

BTW most Nikon collectors consider the SP to be the pinnacle of Nikon RFs. After copping so much flak for making a reissue of the lowly S3 instead of an SP, Nikon ended up having to appease its fans and make a reissue SP anyway. Oh and the SP has parallax correction.
Excellent and interesting back story! I wonder if you could have been paid as they used your work?
it is interesting that for both they produced the black versions - in smaller numbers - a little while later. The silver is nice, but the black - oh my.

Old 07-14-2019   #29
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Any company will be inspired by the actions of it's competitors but giving credit to Leica for the Nikon RF rebirth is stretching it for me. It's a bit like thanking Audi for the Subaru WRX.
Did Subaru write that they built the WRX because of Audi? No.
But Nikon did write that they built the S3 2000 because of the popularity of Leica. In both Jon's and Nikon's translations.

Old 07-14-2019   #30
raid
Dad Photographer

So Nikon did a marketing decision with an eye on their competitors. Nothing wrong about it.

Old 07-14-2019   #31
css9450

Quote:
But Nikon did write that they built the S3 2000 because of the popularity of Leica. In both Jon's and Nikon's translations.
They also wrote "and other classics". The author could have just as easily mentioned any number of other brands instead of Leica.

Old 07-14-2019   #32
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

I think the success of Leica reminds Nikon that they also have their glory back in the golden age of the analog camera. They need to reissue the best cameras they have in their heyday, which are the legendary Nikon S RF cameras. To tell the new generation that Nikon also has a long history and have something as good as Leica.

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

https://www.instagram.com/kevinxbegin/

Old 07-14-2019   #33
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Paul Simon never wrote any song that mentioned a Leica ...

Old 07-14-2019   #34
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Paul Simon never wrote any song that mentioned a Leica ...
Who's Paul Simon?

Old 07-14-2019   #35
css9450

Quote:
Who's Paul Simon?
Singer, songwriter, former Illinois senator....

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #36
rob.nyc1

I have an SP 2005 (all original kit, 35mm included), and the 2000 Millennium 50mm f1.4.

It's really a dream setup...brand new Nikon film RF. Also has 1.0X magnification for the 50mm.

I'm committed to this rig for as long as it lasts in my lifetime. The only hesitation is that the new lenses are so absurdly rare, that should anything happen to them, the rig is toast.

With a Leica you could just go out and pick up another lens no problem.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #37
Ste_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN-XU 愛 forever View Post
I think the success of Leica reminds Nikon that they also have their glory back in the golden age of the analog camera. They need to reissue the best cameras they have in their heyday, which are the legendary Nikon S RF cameras. To tell the new generation that Nikon also has a long history and have something as good as Leica.
I wonder if Nikon have ever considered re-releasing the F or F2 ? 50th anniversary of the F2 in 2021 - and also my 50th birthday. Come on Nikon, make it happen !

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #38
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogarth Ferguson View Post
My only real complaint about the camera is that the 50mm seems very front heavy.

The original "All black Nikkor" 50mm f/1.4 from 1953 (see above) only weights 116 grams = 4.0917107583772 ounce.

Erik.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #39
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN-XU 愛 forever View Post
I don't think Leica itself was that successful back in the early '90s.

It's the enthusiasm toward Leica and rangefinder cameras alike in the domestic (Japanese) market at the time that drove Nikon into making the S3 2000. it was the bubble age, during which cameras were made titanium-clad, and ultra expensive. It's natural that Leica became fashionable during such times, just like the way it is now in China.

As we all know it, Nikon was not the only one trying to ride the trend. Pentax, Ricoh, Minolta and Konica all released limited, L39 screw mount lenses. Smaller makers like Avenon/Kobalux (the maker behind is called Abe Kogaku if memory serves) became active during this time. Yasuhara, Konica and Cosina began to contemplate leica mount rangefinders, the later two went on to become full systems. Kyocera, being ambitious, had its own vision realized.

This also explains why Canon never joined the rangefinder or point & shoot race, nor did they ever seem to feel the need to address the brand's glorious heritage "back in the golden age of analogue cameras". Unlike Nikon, they were not losing ground to new technologies....they were the cutting edge, the king of today, not yesterday. That alone became their identity.

Leica sat through all these. All they did was keep making the M6.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #40
splitimageview

That’s an accurate description. There was energy in the niche at the time, but none of it generated by Leica.