Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Bring your Camera to Work photos
Old 09-17-2004   #1
sfaust

Bring your Camera to Work photos

Seems we all like taking photos of our cameras based on the way the Coffee and a Camera topic grew rapidly.

So, might I suggest a 'Bring your camera to work' thread? I think there would be lots of interesting opportunities for good photos showing your cameras in your normal everyday work environment.

Whadda ya think?? Is this RFF newbie way out there??

Old 09-17-2004   #2
RML
Just live it.

Not really out there, Stephen. I always bring my camera with me,so also to work. I'm working late now and I was just planning on taking a shot.

Join the Rangefinder Blog/Site Ring.

Old 09-17-2004   #3
FrankS

Great! Now we're not just wasting time at work checking out the RFF site, we're going to take photos of our cameras at work too.

JUST KIDDING! Good idea.

photography makes me happy

Old 09-17-2004   #4
sfaust

We are already taking our cameras out for coffee in the morning, might as well at least elevate it to the same status and 'Bring your kid to work' day. Bout time, no??

Actually, I thought it would be a good way to see what everyone does for myself, another way to bring their personality into focus, and another reason for everyone to take great pics of their favorite cameras.

BTW, my Bessa R2 came in today. Used off eBay, in mint condition, with lots of accessories. Happy camper!!! You can bet which camera will be in my 'Bring your camera into work' photo. It came just in time as I am leaving now to go do some night photography in Boston tonight. Great way to test it out.

Old 09-17-2004   #5
back alley
IMAGES

she is a cutie.
with that oz accent it would be hard to stay away, for me that is.

joe

Old 09-17-2004   #6
rovnguy

In some ways I am very fortunate to be able to work in a large number of different environments. I shot this around midnight on my trusty XA with Fuji CZ 800 Press. The exposure was at f/8 and whatever shutter speed the metering system selected. Care to guess what this is... and where it is?

Old 09-17-2004   #7
back alley
IMAGES

the bow of a ship in a navy yard.

Old 09-17-2004   #8
mourges

Looks like a large ship being built. My guess is the UK?

Old 09-17-2004   #9
rover

Yup, my guess is a dry dock too.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 09-17-2004   #10
back alley
IMAGES

rovnguy is in san diego and i think they have a navy yard there.

Old 09-18-2004   #11
jfbell20

A ship would be heavy and require massive supports. As would anything made of metal. I can't see any supports so it must be light. Is it an Airship in a hanger?

Old 09-18-2004   #12
rovnguy

To Jfbell20: No, This is not an airship. It is a form of an aircraft carrier, and displaces better than 40,000 tones. I took the attached photo a couple of weeks later, just before it was put back into the water. You can see the hull blocks that support this little beauty. The blocks are a bit more than six feet tall.

Old 09-18-2004   #13
rovnguy

Let me try again to post this photo.

Old 09-18-2004   #14
back alley
IMAGES

Care to guess what this is... and where it is?

well?

Old 09-18-2004   #15
rovnguy

Joe: Was there a photo with your latest entry?

Old 09-18-2004   #16
back alley
IMAGES

no, i was quoting you.

you told us what the photo was of but not where, or did i miss something?

joe

Old 09-18-2004   #17
rovnguy

OK... I get it. This is my on going project. Everytime she (USS Tarawa) is in for maintenance I have a couple of crews aboard doing repairs. Since the work often has to run around the clock, midnight is a good time for photography.

Old 09-18-2004   #18
back alley
IMAGES

in where?

Old 09-18-2004   #19
rovnguy

In port as opposed to being at sea. For the time being my area of responsibility goes from the west coast of North America to Singapore. In port anywhere between here and there.

Old 10-13-2004   #20
sfaust

Awesome shots of the ship at night. I like the last one best!

I started this thread, then I didn't even ante up with my own photos at work. So I shamed myself into taking one.

I had my cameras with me today at work, so I snapped off a quick image. This is my R2 and QL17 in front on my video editing workstation. I was working on our demo reel at the time. Because of the low light levels and everything being in black, this is actually two identical images with different exposures blended and layered in photoshop to increase the dynamic range. Its the only way I could make the cameras recognizable and keep the monitors from blowing out.

So lets see more. Your camera at work, your work environment, or ....

Last edited by sfaust : 10-13-2004 at 18:50.

Old 10-13-2004   #21
Honu-Hugger

You did a beautiful job with the image, Steve. It looks perfectly natural -- thank you for telling us what it took to create.

D2

Old 10-13-2004   #22
Doug

Steve, that mix worked out just fine; really nice image!

Old 10-14-2004   #23
sfaust

Thanks. If I had time, I would have brought out more detail in the monitor cases, etc. I also used a flashlight during the time exposure to bring out the details in the camera bodies. Its usually very dark in the edit suite.

This was also taken with the Sony consumer P-100 P&S digital camera. That little tiny camera looked rather funny on a heavy duty tripod But it takes awesome pictures, very versatile, and I use it all the time. Fits in my front pants pocket, and is there 95% of the time I leave the house. I'm really impressed with it, and its got very little shutter lag at all. Its a great camera to carry for grab shots when you really would rather not carry any camera, but would feel naked without something. I've never been disappointed with the results yet. Here are some photos taken with it - Sony P-100 eval images for those that are interested.

Last edited by sfaust : 10-14-2004 at 03:53.

Old 10-14-2004   #24
Roman

I always take one of my cameras to work (usually one loaded w/ TMax 3200, so I won't need a flash), and shot some of my best portraits there, but unfortunately I can't show those outside work - I work with mentally handicapped people, and this would violate their privacy...

Roman

My Flickr gallery

Old 10-14-2004   #25
Honu-Hugger

Quote:
Originally posted by sfaust
(snip)...This was also taken with the Sony consumer P-100 P&S digital camera. That little tiny camera looked rather funny on a heavy duty tripod But it takes awesome pictures, very versatile, and I use it all the time. Fits in my front pants pocket, and is there 95% of the time I leave the house. I'm really impressed with it, and its got very little shutter lag at all. Its a great camera to carry for grab shots when you really would rather not carry any camera, but would feel naked without something. I've never been disappointed with the results yet. Here are some photos taken with it - Sony P-100 eval images for those that are interested.
That's a very impressive array of test shots, Steve. Excellent results and a good variety of conditions. When I decided to buy a digital camera this year I originally considered the Contax "whatever it was" ("T" or something -- bad memory and too lazy to Google right now) but the press on it was not that great. Then I considered the Digilux II and that is probably a fine camera, but I decided to try the Sony (DSC-V1) because my main interest is still with older film cameras and the price of admission was not as severe as with the Digilux. I have been very pleased and impressed with the results from the little Sony -- never had a regret since buying it. Same thing with the tripod: the camera feels like it weighs 4 ounces, it's funny to have perched on a HD tripod!

As these things go, after only a year they have already replaced mine with another model (DSC-V3 -- digital R&D must move at such a pace that they blew right past the V2 before they could bring it to market ). However, still no remorse: while the V3 has 7.2MP compared to 5MP of the V1 the physical size of the V3 is much larger and you lose the compactness and "carry anywhere" capability. I just love the little camera -- my wife kids that it has taken me from the "dark ages" (my old iron) and into the '00's!

D2

Old 10-14-2004   #26
sfaust

Quote:
Originally posted by Honu-Hugger That's a very impressive array of test shots, Steve.
Having it readily available in my pocket at all times, and no cost associated with each image I take makes it very easy to do just whip it out and test with it.

I had forgotten to include some night shots I've taken with it. I updated the gallery with a few. Very impressive quality of the night shots, especially considering the small size of the camera. Usually the smaller the camera, the more noisy the imager, especially as the exposure increases.

I'm sure you must be very happy with the V3 as well. Very good press on it.

Old 10-14-2004   #27
Honu-Hugger

Quote:
Originally posted by sfaust
(snip)...I'm sure you must be very happy with the V3 as well. Very good press on it.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I didn't buy the V3, just noticed that it is out. I'm really happy with the V1 for now. Digital products are still evolving faster than I can keep up -- I've got my hands full just trying to learn PhotoShop (less than a month of experience with it, and not a lot of time to devote to it).

D2

Old 10-14-2004   #28
nwcanonman

Steve,
Wow, great blend of the two images! If I need PS help, I'm sending it to you buddy.

Old 10-14-2004   #29
sfaust

Honu-Hugger, you were quite clear. My reading comprehension was way off

Thanks nwcanonman. Its actually very easy to do. Once you do it, you'll say, 'Thats it???. Maybe a thread in the darkroom section is in order.

Here are the two images I started with. One exposed for the monitors, and the other exposed for the cameras.

Old 10-14-2004   #30
sfaust

And the lighter one. Put them both in one photoshop file as two individual layers. I usually put the darker one on top and the lighter one on the bottom. Select a brush with a soft edge, set the opacity to around 15%, and slowly erase the darkers areas. It will reveal the lighter areas below. You can also vary the layers themselves with the layer opacity controls.

Viola! No magic....

But now its also obvious to everyone that I should have gone a bit lighter overall since I had it available to me in the image. I finished, then realized it was still too dark, and was just lazy to go back and fix it.

Last edited by sfaust : 10-14-2004 at 21:49.

Old 10-14-2004   #31
Rich Silfver
Batteries Not Included

Great shot.
That black Canonet with hood is looking great by the way!!!

Blog.........................Gallery

Old 10-14-2004   #32
sfaust

It will look normal once I get the lens switched around!

The original black one has a bronze colored lens on it that really looks nice. However, it's broken so I took most of the black parts and put it on a standard one. I couldn't switch the lens, so it kind of sticks out. I'm currently looking for a parts camera, then I'll send it in with the original black one and get it fixed, then move the black parts back to the original body. The photo pretty much explains it.

Even the way it is, I am very happy with it. It handles great, and delivers clean sharp images with great exposures.

Last edited by sfaust : 10-14-2004 at 22:00.

Old 10-14-2004   #33
hoppinghippos
Camera Addict

stephen, I love your funky coloured keyboard! I presume the coloured keys correspond to control keys for the editing, but I wish they had keyboards for normal use that's equally brightly coloured!

Old 10-15-2004   #34
sfaust

Yes, editing is heavily dependent on control keys as the mouse would just slow you way down. The Jog/Shuttle is also a godsend to allow you to move the video tape (whats that???), or control the digital video playback or timeline scrolling.

I'm not as good at it as I probably should be, since I don't edit all the time (I produce, direct and manage the projects). But I do like editing in general. I find it is a lot like photography where you are creating an image. It just happens to move at 29.97 frames per second Shooting on the other hand, is very much photography with a whole new dimension added. Pans, zooms, trucks, dollys, fades, etc.... Endless possibilities. But, doing industrial and training films isn't like doing a movie. Its hard to get creative when the subject matter is very dry.

I have seen a company on the internet somewhere that makes custom keyboards at fairly reasonable prices. I think they even had a few stock ones that were generic for most common apps. Unfortunately, I can't remember the company name. I think they were even the company that made the keyboard for the manufacturer of my editing system.

Ok, I did my part. Lets see where everyone else works!!! Bring your camera and snap off a couple shots.

Last edited by sfaust : 10-15-2004 at 03:32.

Old 10-15-2004   #35
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

My workplace is so tight, the 17mm lens I have is not wide enough

Old 10-15-2004   #36
sfaust

Want me to loan you a fisheye?

Old 10-15-2004   #37
Solinar
Analog Preferred

Here is a work photo of a one my student staff building components in our machine shop for an apparatus to be used on our classroom.

The photo of our hi-tech work place was taken with 50 year old Agfa Super Isolette medium format range finder, using Delta 3200, @ f/5.6 with a 1/50th of second exposure.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Kodak Retina II, Retina IIa, a Rollei 35 S, plus an Oly 35RD and XA
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtländer Perkeo II and Bessa II, 2 of them - a ZI Mess Ikonta 524/2 - plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes - still going over a decade later

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 10-15-2004   #38
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

Is there "rollei" written on his t-shirt?

Old 10-15-2004   #39
Solinar
Analog Preferred

Quote:
Originally posted by Pherdinand
Is there "rollei" written on his t-shirt?
Nope, I believe it says "Roller Hockey Tournament", but Rollei would've been a nice touch.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Kodak Retina II, Retina IIa, a Rollei 35 S, plus an Oly 35RD and XA
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtländer Perkeo II and Bessa II, 2 of them - a ZI Mess Ikonta 524/2 - plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes - still going over a decade later

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"