Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Canon F-1N shutter problem
Old 02-05-2015   #1
woodgeek

Question Canon F-1N shutter problem

I've got a problem with a Canon F-1N that I was recently gifted. When there is no battery installed, the shutter will fire. With a fresh battery installed, the shutter won't fire on Normal or Self-timer mode. I thought it might be a problem with the battery voltage but I checked it with a voltmeter and it measures just under 6V. Using F-1N's battery test, I get a reading between 11 and 18.
The metering seems to function just fine--checked with Normal, Hold and Light. I compared the meter readings with my older F-1.
Any guesses as what might be causing my electronic shutter not to fire? The camera looks almost brand new on the outside. Inside the light seals are brand new.

Old 02-05-2015   #2
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Electronic shutter dead? Does it fire on AE? Things to try are a second battery (a good fresh one should be more like 6.1V, yours might be a dud), and removing the prism (the meter display circuitry in there seems to be knocked out of order more frequently than the bodies themselves).

Old 02-05-2015   #3
Mackinaw
Think Different

The F-1N has a hybrid shutter. Speeds from 1/90 to 1/2000 are mechanically controlled. Speeds slower than 1/90 are electronically controlled. Maybe the battery contact at the bottom of the battery chamber is stuck. When you remove the battery, press down on the little contact in the bottom of the battery chamber. It should move up and down but, with age, can get "stuck." If it is stuck, slow speeds may not work.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 02-05-2015   #4
raid
Dad Photographer

This is a good tip. Jim.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 02-05-2015   #5
woodgeek

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll try these when I go home for lunch today.

Old 02-05-2015   #6
woodgeek

One more thing I just remembered: with the battery removed, adjusting the shutter speed didn't result in the sound of the shutter audibly changing.

Old 02-05-2015   #7
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
The F-1N has a hybrid shutter. Speeds from 1/90 to 1/2000 are mechanically controlled.
... if there is no battery detected inside the compartment. A dead battery switch accordingly can have two results - frozen down the camera always assumes a battery is installed and will not run at all with no battery installed, frozen up, the camera always assumes no battery and will run in mechanical mode from 1/90-1/2000 only even with a battery inside.

Old 02-05-2015   #8
woodgeek

I went home during lunch and tried removing the eye level finder but that didn't help.

I removed the battery to test the shutter speed at different settings. I tried 4sec through 1/1000 but the audible speed of the shutter never changed. I'm not sure what this indicates but I'm sure it's not good.

Old 02-05-2015   #9
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodgeek View Post
I tried 4sec through 1/1000 but the audible speed of the shutter never changed. I'm not sure what this indicates but I'm sure it's not good.
That does not sound alarming, the shutter travels at the same speed at all mechanical settings, only the slit width is variable, and the audible difference between slit widths is small.

Old 02-05-2015   #10
kuzano

See link for Steve - owns camera clinic Sparks Nv. Fixed the chronic EEE error on three of my Canon T90's. Excellent price and turnaround. Helpful on the phone. Many years at a Canon Authorized service center before specializing on Canon in his own operation. I sent him one of my T90 camera's w/EEE. Later sent my other two for a discounted price. Common problem with T90's not used regularly.

See link:

http://www.cameraclinicusa.com/about/

Old 02-05-2015   #11
Ranchu
-

In order to see if the speeds are changing, fire the camera with the back open, looking at the shutter from behind with the camera facing a white wall or window.

Old 02-05-2015   #12
woodgeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
That does not sound alarming, the shutter travels at the same speed at all mechanical settings, only the slit width is variable, and the audible difference between slit widths is small.
That makes sense.I guess I was surprised because the differences in audible shutter speeds from my mechanical F-1 are quite obvious.

Old 02-05-2015   #13
woodgeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzano View Post
See link for Steve - owns camera clinic Sparks Nv. Fixed the chronic EEE error on three of my Canon T90's. Excellent price and turnaround. Helpful on the phone. Many years at a Canon Authorized service center before specializing on Canon in his own operation. I sent him one of my T90 camera's w/EEE. Later sent my other two for a discounted price. Common problem with T90's not used regularly.

See link:

http://www.cameraclinicusa.com/about/
Oh awesome. Thanks!

Old 02-05-2015   #14
woodgeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchu View Post
In order to see if the speeds are changing, fire the camera with the back open, looking at the shutter from behind with the camera facing a white wall or window.
I'll try that tonight, thanks.