Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > 120 / 220 film RF's

120 / 220 film RF's 120 / 220 format rangefinders including Fuji, Koni-Omega, Mamiya Press, Linhof 6x7/6x9 cameras, Mamiya 6/7 among others, but excluding the 120 folders and the Voigtlander 667 cameras that have their own forums.

differences btw. the Koni Omega wide angles?
Old 09-09-2005   #1
stet
lurker.

differences btw. the Koni Omega wide angles?

I know that 2mm really isn't that much of a difference, and most people seem to regard the 60mm and the 58mm lenses as "the same." Is that virtually the same, or exactly the same? I just bought a 60mm lens (hominahominahomina!) and, separately, picked up a VF that originally was paired with a 58. Did Koni make/market a different finder for the 60mm at the time of its release?

RFF | rickv.com

Old 09-09-2005   #2
JasonC

According to what I have heard, they are the same lens with different marking. I think it has to do with the year of production. They change the marking to 60mm on later productions. If you go to www.koni-omega.org, there are some discussion about that. BTW, I have a 58mm, and it is amazing.

Jason.

Old 09-09-2005   #3
kiev4a

I wonder if there is any difference of if Koni just decided to fess up that the 58mm was really a 60mm. Sort of like when Kiev started saying the top shutter speed was 1/1000, nit 1,250.

Old 09-09-2005   #4
denishr
アナログ侘・寂

From what I heard, the lenses are virtually the same. The story goes that different markings are apparently due to some US Customs/import regulations imposing higher dues on lenses above/below certain focal length - so the manufacturer just changed the marking for 2mm, and contiunued to export to USA without having to pay the new (higher) taxes/dues.

Denis

Old 09-09-2005   #5
stet
lurker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denishr
From what I heard, the lenses are virtually the same. The story goes that different markings are apparently due to some US Customs/import regulations [...]
Hah! That's really funny. And I esp. like that it's a legend, and there doesn't seem to be a definitive word about it.

I was wondering mainly because of framing with the separate finder, although right now it's all guesswork until that arrives. Of course, I can't resist trying it without it, so my test rolls might come out a ways off. By the time I get them back, I'll have the finder and will have to do some more (oh no )

I need this. After a crummy batch of rolls, and even opening up another camera back and exposing a roll, I was pretty bummed on shooting. But now I'm armed and ready with a new lens, a batch of film on the way, and the arts center darkroom opens up Wednesday. I really should send off my whole RO system to Greg Weber, but I'm dying to use this at least for the first couple weeks of class.

Back OT, and because I don't have that finder yet, I suppose that when I get it, I focus with the camera VF, then frame with the WA finder? Also, what's the minimum focusing distance? On the focus knob, it only goes down to 3.5 feet, but in the RO documentation, the chart goes down to 1'2".

/Rick.

RFF | rickv.com

Old 09-10-2005   #6
RJBender
RFF Sponsoring Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by stet
Hah! That's really funny. And I esp. like that it's a legend, and there doesn't seem to be a definitive word about it.

I was wondering mainly because of framing with the separate finder, although right now it's all guesswork until that arrives. Of course, I can't resist trying it without it, so my test rolls might come out a ways off. By the time I get them back, I'll have the finder and will have to do some more (oh no )

I need this. After a crummy batch of rolls, and even opening up another camera back and exposing a roll, I was pretty bummed on shooting. But now I'm armed and ready with a new lens, a batch of film on the way, and the arts center darkroom opens up Wednesday. I really should send off my whole RO system to Greg Weber, but I'm dying to use this at least for the first couple weeks of class.

Back OT, and because I don't have that finder yet, I suppose that when I get it, I focus with the camera VF, then frame with the WA finder? Also, what's the minimum focusing distance? On the focus knob, it only goes down to 3.5 feet, but in the RO documentation, the chart goes down to 1'2".

/Rick.
Hi Rick,

The 58/60 mm lens is a Biogon type design.

The albada type optical finder looks clunky and can be a hassle to use. I had to put a piece of vinyl tape on the bottom of mine to keep it from sliding out of the accessory shoe.

If you take off the back, put your camera on a tripod, tape a piece of ground glass in the film plane and open the lens on B with a cable release, you can see the angle of view of this lens. Now look through the viewfinder in the camera and move your eye so you can see as far as possible on all 4 sides. Thatís the same angle of view you have on your ground glass.

The cameraís viewfinder is actually very simple to clean if you ever get tired of looking through haze.

The Koni Omega Wides
Old 08-24-2019   #7
randy stewart

The Koni Omega Wides

I wonder if after all of the intervening time, anyone cares about the errors ion this thread, but it can't hurt to end it with accuracy. First, the run of this thread reflects one of the most sustained urban legends re cameras I know of. The error: that the Koni 60mm for this system was replaced by a lens marked 58mm, but which was really the same lens. Why? The various rationals are summarized in the thread, and they are all wrong. The 58mm was a successor lens to the 60mm. The 58mm is an 8 element lens; the 60mm had 6 elements. When I first bought into the Koni Omega system, I got a 60mm. I was never fully satisfied by the marginal sharpness of the lens (I may have had a marginally poor one of the bunch.) I replaced it with a 58mm, and the difference was like going from the dark into the light. I have the system still, but not used for years. it is one of the great classics.

Old 08-24-2019   #8
raid
Dad Photographer

I used to own a 58mm lens. It was an excellent lens. I think that the 60mm Lens is very similar.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 08-24-2019   #9
tungba

Ah...will now have to do some tests myself.
Have both lens and have wondered if there is any difference.
Many thanks for all the postings.