Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > 120 / 220 film RF's

120 / 220 film RF's 120 / 220 format rangefinders including Fuji, Koni-Omega, Mamiya Press, Linhof 6x7/6x9 cameras, Mamiya 6/7 among others, but excluding the 120 folders and the Voigtlander 667 cameras that have their own forums.

mamiya press or fuji 690
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
ortogo

mamiya press or fuji 690

next year i'm hoping to start a photography project i've been thinking about for a while now. i've been in the building/construction industry most of my working life and the project is along the lines of "the new topographers".
I shoot film, so will be using film cameras. I have LF cameras but I think 6x9 is more practical on a construction site. I own and use a fuji gw690 and really rate the camera, however due to the nature of construction sites I think a choice of lens is needed.
So here's the question do I buy a gsw690 with its wider lens and use this conjunction with my gw690 or go for a Mamiya universal press with multiple lenses?. Money wise i think either option is about equal looking at prices on e bay. Both cameras seem pretty bullet proof so can cope with a bit of rough handling and are relatively cheap as medium format goes. Looking for some insights from people who have been in this situation and which camera they would go for

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
charjohncarter

I have a Mamiya f6.3 65mm. I'll give you a link to my 65mm images:

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_...5mm&view_all=1

Maybe because the lens is f6.3, but this lens is really good if you can stand the slow speed.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
B-9
Devin Bro

The Super 23 with its back movements might just give you some added flexibility.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
aizan

Both are great choices.

If 65mm is wide enough, add a GSW690 to keep it simple. If you need wider, it's a lot cheaper to go with Mamiya. Their 50mm f/6.3 is only $300, but the Fujinon 50mm f/5.6 for G-series bodies is $1000-2000.

You might also be interested in cheaper 6x9 technical cameras like the baby Graflex 23 and Horseman VH.