Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: Do you film or digital
100% film 191 33.93%
75% film 25% digital 145 25.75%
50% film 50% digital 92 16.34%
25% film 75% digital 108 19.18%
100% digital 27 4.80%
Voters: 563. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2007   #81
Sylvaticus

My first experience of digital photography was the Canon Powershot G5, felt and looked like a 1950s rangefinder camera (except it was autofocus of course and the lens was zoom, but the viewfinder was optical see-through and the lens was f:2). Despite its modest pixel count the pictures were much less noisy than film scans from my elderly Canon film scanner. I still take a few films each year for old times sake, but I do mostly digital nowadays.

My RFF gallery
My DSLRX gallery
My Flickr gallery

Old 10-31-2007   #82
trev2401
Long Live Film!!!

Location: Berkeley, Hippy Land, CA. Currently working in Tokyo
Film for me, anytime!!!

My cousin had his wedding shot digitally 6 years back (with a D30 or some DCS frankenstein F5 i think) thinking that the pictures would be more 'vibrant' than the alternative then (kodak gold.) Now he's having major issues getting prints done beyond 11x17 even with interpol. software..

meanwhile, i just scanned and printed for my dad a 4x5 neg of my great grandparent's wedding, taken just after WW1. It's amazing how much detail a 4x5 neg can capture... =)

Old 11-18-2007   #83
gb hill

I shoot 100% film, eventhough I have nothing against digital. I just can't seem to keep up with all the modes on a digital camera. Besides I have too much $$ tied up in film cameras to change.

Old 12-24-2007   #84
gregg

Professionally I shoot 75% dSLR - 25% film with RF. This tends to be my "keep rate" anyway.

Personal projects - 100% film with RF. This would change to 100% digital if I had an M8. J'ai raison...

Snapshots and carry-around - ~100% digital P&S (sometimes the IIIc goes along though...)

Old 12-24-2007   #85
Senecabud
Pat Trent

I had to vote 75% film because there was no 98%, and 100% isn't quite the whole truth. I do use a digicam now and then, but 98% of the time it's film in various formats.

Old 01-24-2008   #86
Steve Williams

Professionally I am 100 percent digital. It makes sense in terms of time, expense, process, and it's what the art director wants and expects from me.

I shoot black and white exclusively and process and print in a cozy darkroom in my basement for all my personal creative work. I can print up to 20x24 silver prints and so far haven't been interested in any departure from gelatin silver prints.

For my Scooter in the Sticks blog I have been shooting almost entirely digital images though now and again I would take along a film camera-- an M6, Mamiya 7, or Hasselblad --- to shoot landscapes and things I see while riding.

Old 02-03-2008   #87
vrgard

Good for you, Kim. We, too, have our wedding photo from 22 years ago hanging on the wall at home along with other family photos.

-Randy

Old 02-03-2008   #88
d_ross

There is so much discussion here about Digital verses film, usually it's based around mechanics and workflow etc. But I thik the great difference is in the mindset of the photographer.

An advertising agency owner I know once said he likes to commission film photographers because when shooting digital people will get to a point they know they have a shot and stop, while a film shooter will get to a point they think they have a shot, then to be sure will go that little bit further to be sure!

Old 02-03-2008   #89
Steve Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_ross
There is so much discussion here about Digital verses film, usually it's based around mechanics and workflow etc. But I thik the great difference is in the mindset of the photographer.

An advertising agency owner I know once said he likes to commission film photographers because when shooting digital people will get to a point they know they have a shot and stop, while a film shooter will get to a point they think they have a shot, then to be sure will go that little bit further to be sure!
I never thought about it that way before but there may be some truth to it. When I shoot assignments I will often tether the digital camera to my laptop so that the designer or art director can see what I'm doing. More often than not when we have the picture we're done save for a couple safety shots. It's more like shooting a movie scene.

Old 02-03-2008   #90
d_ross

I guees in that case Steve the art director couldnt really commplain about much I wonder too, do you think you would give him better work if he wasnt there tethered to you ?

Old 02-03-2008   #91
bmattock

I like photography. I try to choose the tool most suited for the photograph I want to take, but sometimes I use whatever I have available at the time. Sometimes I go to extra lengths to use a particular camera, lens, or film that I want to experiment with.

I will not state a preference. I just like photography. That should be good enough.

Old 02-04-2008   #92
Steve Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_ross
I guees in that case Steve the art director couldnt really commplain about much I wonder too, do you think you would give him better work if he wasnt there tethered to you ?
In big shoots the final results for me are always better with an art director on site. Even my assistant monitors the images as they load on the laptop looking for problems. It was a different challenge when I shot film.

I had a big break in my career. I hung up the camera professionally in 1992 to become a film maker. Then last summer I picked up the camera again. I've had to address the who digital workflow from scratch since I mainly continued to shoot film for personal projects.

I am having a great time though.

Old 02-04-2008   #93
BillBingham2

Too bad the Polling software would not allow us to compare how many people have had to replace digital cameras because it was not cost effective to repair them vs film? I know I've given away five digital cameras because they stopped working well. I'm keeping the 6th and working with it anyway because I love it so much. Never had to do that to a film camera. It should also be said that I have never had any auto anything cameras.

B2 (;->

Old 02-05-2008   #94
dannynono
Survey sez....

I'm working my way back into film, ~30% right now, but my goal is to pickup a decent scanner and do my own b/w processing - color will still be outsourced. hopefully, that should help lessen my long-term costs with shooting film.

MF is still a big draw for me and if it's being used, the 35 RF comes along for the ride.

as for the dslr replacement - I've had the 20D for 3 years now...not worth nearly what i paid for it used, but it still works. knock on wood.

condensed gallery: smugmug
non-condensed: flickr

Old 02-07-2008   #95
paragon

Maybe the question should be:

What camera will you NEXT buy to use, (rather than collect) - even for members of an RF forum

a film or a digital

for me, digital as a user, film as an object to keep, take care of, read about, be interested in and use occasionally

I would love another Nikon RF, (an SP), - to keep, hold, look at, etc., and use now and then. If someone walked up to me with a mint boxed set, at a price I knew to be reasonable, I would buy it, I would not be able to resist the temption. I would never turn down a Leica or Nikon F if I felt it was a bargain

But, what do I grab each day - a digital P&S

What do I take with me when I know I want to take photos - a digital DSLR and , (less and less), my M6 and M3 ----- what get used the most, my Pentax DSLR

With film, (generally, before you all jump on me) - I think age now plays apart - we all look back at the stuff that we could not afford and really wanted - the Nikon stuff, Pentax and Canon. We can now buy it on Ebay for less than the cost of a good meal and Nikon lenses cost less than we pay to get our haircut. WOW, what do we do when we see a "bargain" - probably have "two of each"

Digital is an unstoppable force, and photography is a creative art now enhanced by the computer which most of us are into. The digital camera is just a logical and very good part of life today.

just my views

Old 02-07-2008   #96
MCTuomey

i shoot sports (mostly futbol) as an amateur, and a bit of hired work here and there - all digi. that's where my volume is. but for myself, i usually prefer film and plan to supplement my 35mm RF with a 4x5 rig when i have the means or can sell off some of the dSLR gear.

film by its nature isn't a volume question, imho.

My Flickr

Old 02-07-2008   #97
rich815

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragon
Maybe the question should be:

What camera will you NEXT buy to use, (rather than collect) - even for members of an RF forum

a film or a digital

for me, digital as a user, film as an object to keep, take care of, read about, be interested in and use occasionally

I would love another Nikon RF, (an SP), - to keep, hold, look at, etc., and use now and then. If someone walked up to me with a mint boxed set, at a price I knew to be reasonable, I would buy it, I would not be able to resist the temption. I would never turn down a Leica or Nikon F if I felt it was a bargain

But, what do I grab each day - a digital P&S

What do I take with me when I know I want to take photos - a digital DSLR and , (less and less), my M6 and M3 ----- what get used the most, my Pentax DSLR

With film, (generally, before you all jump on me) - I think age now plays apart - we all look back at the stuff that we could not afford and really wanted - the Nikon stuff, Pentax and Canon. We can now buy it on Ebay for less than the cost of a good meal and Nikon lenses cost less than we pay to get our haircut. WOW, what do we do when we see a "bargain" - probably have "two of each"

Digital is an unstoppable force, and photography is a creative art now enhanced by the computer which most of us are into. The digital camera is just a logical and very good part of life today.

just my views
Bill, I'm the same---except vice-a-versa. I really love my two digital P&S cameras (a Sony F717 and Panasonic LX-1) but end up using my film cameras much more, except when I want pure convenience over quality (subjective for what I expect), family/friend snapshots, or to use the Sony for it's digital infra-red feature.

Old 04-02-2008   #98
David R Munson
写真のオタク

Probably about 75% digital, but it's a misleading number. I'm broke, am out of 35mm film, and have no darkroom. With different circumstances it would probably be about 50/50. I love both!

Old 04-20-2008   #99
Socke

ISO 1600, more like 2000, is tempting.
So I use the dSLR where I shoot low light and the RF where I get away with ISO400 film.
Again dSLR when I think it's not worth spending money on film and when I know I'll shoot a lot, i.E. machinegun style.
Then a RF when I want B/W with grain and a certain, usualy old time, look.

ISO1600 with a dSLR in the streets

and architecture at night

Last edited by Socke : 04-20-2008 at 14:39.

Old 04-20-2008   #100
benlees

I use digital more when I can't afford film and its associated costs. Like now! Funny how pinching pennies makes digital seem more attractive ('its plastic but its light', or 'not going to print these anyway') and then vice versa when I am flush. Can't wait for the tax return!

Should edit: I do like both.

Old 04-21-2008   #101
oldgearhead

Year to date:
DSLR = 14,565
35SLR = 180
35RF = 72
120RF = 40

D70, F3HP, Retina IIa, & KO

Old 05-29-2008   #102
craygc

Digital only means scanning and post processing for me...

Even went and bought a 2nd Mamiya 7II body yesterday ...Im committed to film!

Old 05-30-2008   #103
jaap
Jaap

Film Film Film

Traditional darkroom printer

Old 06-19-2008   #104
Henk

digital ??

I shoot film when I'm between digitals....
Old 06-26-2008   #105
kuzano

I shoot film when I'm between digitals....

I shoot film when I have sold my current digital and am awaiting delivery of my new latest and greatest digital.

Ie., I am shooting a great deal of film!!!!

Old 06-26-2008   #106
chris00nj
Young Luddite

Digital is fine for when you want to take the quick one-off photo. If you have any travel or important photos, I like film. I split between b&w, Kodachrome, and C-41 ... all depending on the setting.

Old 06-27-2008   #107
rbsinto

Location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
I shoot only film, essentially all 100 ISO colour slide, with the odd bit of 400 pushed one or two stops when I feel the need for speed.

Old 06-27-2008   #108
DougK
This space left blank

I originally answered 50/50, but I'm moving more towards 25% film, 75% digital.

Old 08-19-2008   #109
Rick Waldroup

Digital 100%

Old 08-19-2008   #110
Soeren

Film 100% no matter how its calculated
Kind regards
Søren