Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

What camera(s) did you sell, miss, and replace?
Old 02-20-2009   #1
FrankS

What camera(s) did you sell, miss, and replace?

These are cameras I once owned, sold, missed, and then later (over a period of many years) eventually replaced.

M2, CL, Barnack screwmount, Rollei 35 T and S, Rolleiflex TLR, Hasselblad CM.

How about you? What camera(s) did you miss so much after selling, that you replaced it?

photography makes me happy

Last edited by FrankS : 02-20-2009 at 14:20.

Old 02-20-2009   #2
pesphoto

Well, I had a Yashica GSN that was my first rangefinder. Used it for a year, loved it. Took some of my best images with it. Even had Greyhoundman CLA it, it was perfect! Started using other cameras and sold the GSN to a fellow RFF member.
After a few months I pm'd him and asked to buy it back. I did! Still have it and wont sell it again. One camera i know I can always count on if I need it.

Old 02-20-2009   #3
thomasw_

Same as you Frank -- a M2. Also, two lenses; the Elmar-M 50/2,8 and the big, bad-ass Bertha CV 35/1,2. Though I do have better all-round lenses in both focal lengths, they are both special lenses I missed so much that I did eventually buy another copy.

Old 02-20-2009   #4
capitalK
Warrior Poet :P

An Olympus 35SP was stolen from my car. It was my second rangefinder (after a Yashica MG-1) and I was just getting to love it. I had spent a week with it in Toronto shortly before the theft and everything came out great. It was my first taste of a "real" rangefinder.

I never replaced it because I bought it for $10 and couldn't justify spending $100+ on one from here or eBay, instead putting that money towards my Bessa.

Old 02-20-2009   #5
Pompiere

The first 35mm camera that I had was a Voigtlander Vito II that my dad gave me. He never really knew how to use it, he was(is) more of an Instamatic person. I used that camera all through high school until I got a Minolta SRT200,which I still use, for graduation. I should have reclaimed the Vito II sooner, but it was destroyed a few years ago when Dad's basement flooded. I haven't replaced it, but I have acquired several other old cameras.

Old 02-20-2009   #6
dexdog
sans bokeh

A Canon IVSB, in beautiful condition, sold it because it was not being used (I am not especially fond of bottom-feeders). I should have kept it, especially since the eBay sale was a measly $170. Nice camera that fit easily in a coat pocket when fitted with a 35mm lens, which is my "normal" focal length. I replaced it (sort of) with a Tower 46/Nicca 5L.

Last edited by dexdog : 02-20-2009 at 15:40.

Old 02-20-2009   #7
gavinlg

Olympus OM's. I had an OM1 and an OM2 that I sold about half a year ago and now that I look back on it, that would have to be the best film camera combo for me. One with a zuiko wide, one with a zuiko 50. Miss that a lot.

Old 02-20-2009   #8
FrankS

If we are including cameras that we sold and missed, but not (yet?) replaced, I'd have to add: the Hexar AF, and Mamiya 6.

Old 02-20-2009   #9
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Ricoh 500G (my first 35mm)
and
Pentax KX (my first Pentax)

Chris

Old 02-20-2009   #10
lkgroup

This might not be the same but I wore out two Pentax Spotmatics, they were my first serious cameras. I let them sit on a drawer for about 20 years. No, I didn't get them fixed but when prices came down I did replace them. A black SP and a silver one. I Had them CLA by Eric Henderson (Pentax Guru) and had split screens put into each.

I'm thinking about selling my silver one and keeping the black one. I still had my Takumar lenses 35mm F3.5 / 50mm F1.4 and 135 F3.5. Great glass. I still use them from time to time.

Leo

Old 02-20-2009   #11
back alley
IMAGES

i have bought and replaced and then sold again...

cle
om 1

i think that's pretty much it.

Old 02-20-2009   #12
FrankS

Hi J. That's a whole different thread: what cameras did you own, sell, and never miss.

Old 02-20-2009   #13
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
Hi J. That's a whole different thread: what cameras did you own, sell, and never miss.
i was never very good with directions...

Old 02-20-2009   #14
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

Quote:
Hi Frank, I think you mean this J.
ok, I'll delete the post for this thread.

Old 02-20-2009   #15
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

I just remembered one Frank, my first good camera.
a Praktica LTL with a 50mm CZJ Tessar lens.
sold it, years later I bought one just like it at the Toronto Camera show because I missed the "look" of that lens and the camera never let me down.

Old 02-20-2009   #16
noimmunity
scratch my niche

I have the honor of being the first to mention an in-production Beesa: the R3A, to wit. Bought and sold twice, and I already miss it, just like I miss everything and everybody else that was here but is not now.
I'll live, for an as-yet-to-be-determined length of time, anyway.

flickr
Flickr

Old 02-20-2009   #17
chris91387

dropped my hasselblad 500cm with 80mm planar, prism finder and a12 back into the ocean.

took many years to save up enough to buy another one.

- chris

Old 02-20-2009   #18
jplomley

Sold my M6TTL 0.58 to fund the purchase of an M8 last year. Almost a year to the date, I added an M7 with the M-Motor. I now have the analog version of the M8. Having Auto Mode on the M7 is just the perfect compliment to my M8. I really don't miss the M6TTL. The M7 just feels more solid and fluid for street work.

Old 02-20-2009   #19
totifoto

Well I almost sold my Hasselblad gear few weeks ago but didnīt and Iīm glad I didnīt

Oddly enough I sold my Canon 5D once and missed it and got another one.

Old 02-20-2009   #20
BTMarcais

Olympus XA. Sold my first set w/ the A11 flash after I picked up a Rollei 35T. Found another one a few years later, and bought it on a whim...it was such a nice camera to just toss in a pocket and go! (the rollei isn't nearly as pocketable)

And now it's up for sale again. Since I'm STILL using the Rollei, and the XA just sits on the shelf.

And yea, for camera's I've sold and missed and not yet replaced... I'd also vote for the Hexar AF. Never actually mine... I borrowed if from the Konica sales rep. He didn't ask for it back until almost two years later. Should've just bought the darn thing.
(not that I really need any more cameras, right?)

Old 02-20-2009   #21
dazedgonebye

Sold the 15mm Heliar and bought one back 6 months later.
Lost my Hexar AF and bought another right away.

"And I know now that the cure for my childhood was not to be looked after, as I once believed; it was to look after someone else." ~Philip Norman

Photography Blog
Flickr
Twitter

Old 02-20-2009   #22
Leighgion
Bovine Overseer

I loaned my Nikon D40 to my sister last year. Decided to let her keep using it and just bought myself another. Tiny DSLRs are great to have.

Other than that, I don't sell my cameras, really. They're worth more to me on the shelf ready to go, than whatever money I could get for them.

Old 02-20-2009   #23
dmr
Registered Abuser

The reason that I am here on RFF is that after many years I realized the mistake I made by selling my first "real" camera, the Mamiya SD rangefinder. I had even forgotten the model of it. I finally re-acquired a working one in 2005. I use it regularly.

Old 02-20-2009   #24
ChrisN
Striving

I'm with Gavin on this one. I sold an OM2 with several lenses, to rationalise down to a single line of lenses that work with both film and my dSLR (Pentax). But the LX doesn't satisfy quite like the OM, so I've built up another OM kit. Now I'm thinking of selling the LX and its manual lenses.

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery
Flickr

Old 02-20-2009   #25
maddoc
... likes film.

I have regretted selling my silver-chrome M6 classic and the M4-P. After selling my former M4-P last year, I immediately regretted it and bought a second one here at RFF only three weeks later.

The M6 was my first Leica, which I had sold two years ago to "upgrade" to an MP.... Well the MP is also long sold since then and I just recently bought another M6 classic in silver-chrome from a member here.

Interestingly, I have tried a couple of lenses but don't miss any of the ones that I have sold.

flickr
pBase

Old 02-20-2009   #26
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

None...
I have almost all the cameras I've ever bought...
Once I traded three cameras (2 Pentax MG's, 1 Nikon FG) for a near mint Yashica Mat 124g...Still have the 124, never did miss the three I traded...
Now if we're talking cars...my '76 280Z...I would buy that car back today if I could find it...
pf

Old 02-20-2009   #27
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighgion View Post
Other than that, I don't sell my cameras, really. They're worth more to me on the shelf ready to go, than whatever money I could get for them.
We're on the same wavelength here!

Frank, that’s an impressive list of replacements!

George, I told you that was not a good idea!

Simply out of nostalgia I finally replaced a Heiland Pentax H3 I’d bought in 1964 (my first Pentax) which I soon traded in on a new Spotmatic. The replacement H3, found five years ago, was not defect-free, cost me over $100 for a CLA, but outlay was only $50 including 1.8/55mm lens.

Through most of that time, I kept my Leica M2 + V1 Summiron 35, thus it was never sold, missed, or replaced.

One more “replaced” though, was the Voigtlander 28mm Skopar; sold, regretted, and sort-of replaced by the like item in Nikon S mount. What a great little lens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pentax H3.jpg (55.2 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Doug : 02-20-2009 at 23:36.

Old 02-20-2009   #28
CK Dexter Haven

Had an M7. Sold it, and a year later, bought another one. A year after that, i sold it. A year after that, i bought an Ikon. I don't miss the M7.

I started with Medium Format with a Mamiya RZ67II. Sold it, and bought a Pentax 67II. Sold it and bought a Mamiya 645AF. Sold it, and bought a Hasselblad 203FE. Sold it and bought a Pentax 67II. Sold it and bought a Hasselblad 503CW. Sold it and bought a Hasselblad 203FE. Don't laugh. I wish i could justify having an RZ, P67II AND 203FE.

I had a Nikon F100. I had an F4. Now i have an FE2. I kinda miss the F100, but prefer the manual focus lenses and they're easier to focus on a manual focus body.

Isn't there an expression that says "the journey is its own reward?" Or something like that.

Old 02-21-2009   #29
FallisPhoto

Quote:
These are cameras I once owned, sold, missed, and then later (over a period of many years) eventually replaced.

M2, CL, Barnack screwmount, Rollei 35 T and S, Rolleiflex TLR, Hasselblad CM.

How about you? What camera(s) did you miss so much after selling, that you replaced it?
I generally buy them, fix them up, and then, if I like them, I buy more, fix them up and sell them.

Old 02-21-2009   #30
dee

OOPS . I am in heady company here , but I chased down the earlest cheapest cameras i once owned - Praktica Super TL , Prinzflex STTL in black [ rare , mercifully it's painted over chrome ] Adox Golf 1a
I have not been tempted to replace the better SLRs because I part - ex'd them 'cos I did not get on with them - OM1 and Contax !39 [ ? ! ]

I just recently dee'scovered Leica and Contax - and pretenders !
Fuji X-Pro 1 and X-M1 joined by neat X-T1

Contax/Kiev hybrids - Contax II silver /tan , Contax III + Kiev IV meter etc , Contax II , Kiev shutter from parts camera .
Minolta SR1s/SR7v/SRTs various !

Puns,Cameras and snapshots keeping ASD and dees'ruptive Girl/Boy/Me?' dee'structive dee'sorientation contained.

Old 02-21-2009   #31
Micky D
-

I've owned a fair number of cameras over the years, though nowhere near as many as most of you.
I've just sold my last 35mm camera and am now totally medium format and intend to remain so, but if I was to replace one of my old cameras now, it would be a Rollei 35.

Old 02-21-2009   #32
Wouter

Third Hexar AF in use, buying a fourth to save for the future. Several Rolleiflexes; Olympus OM1 black; about four M3s, 3 M2s ... cameras I keep going back to.

Old 02-21-2009   #33
Steve Bellayr

None. I do not buy or sell on a whim. It takes a very long time to understand a camera/lens. A lifetime is not long enough to comprehend photography. On must practice until one can work with the instrument without recollection. In Zen one studies for ten years to paint a single bamboo stalk; then leaves painting for ten years only to return after having assimilated all aspects. How can one expect to understand and completely use a Leica system in 10 years? Can you pick up your camera and begin shooting excellent pictures without thinking?

Old 02-21-2009   #34
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris91387 View Post
dropped my hasselblad 500cm with 80mm planar, prism finder and a12 back into the ocean.

took many years to save up enough to buy another one.

- chris
Wowww.

Old 02-22-2009   #35
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

I bought a Bessa R, used it for a year or so, thought I was done with it, sold it and used various other LTM cameras for another year or so. Decided that I was not happy without it and bought another one. This second one is not leaving.
Rob

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Old 02-22-2009   #36
5:00 PM
It's a light machine

Sell a camera? What a concept!

However, I've had two stolen. One was a Minolta Maxxum 7000, the original AF SLR. Never even thought about replacing it. The other was another Minolta, a Hi-Matic E compact which I replaced after an interval of about 22 years. I'm using it a lot now; it's one of the best constant-carry 35s I've ever had. Razor sharp 40mm lens and weird but nearly silent shutter release. I'll keep it forever...but then I keep everything forever.

Old 02-23-2009   #37
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I got another Contax G2 only to shoot the G21 lens.

Old 02-23-2009   #38
Steve Williams

I sold a Zone VI 8x10 camera, lenses, film holders, tripod, the works. While worlds away from what I shoot with my M6 it served a purpose for what I can only say was a more engaged experience between camera and subject. Photography was an event.

Linda Connor writes in her new book Odyssey elegantly about the 8x10 camera...

Old 02-23-2009   #39
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
I got another Contax G2 only to shoot the G21 lens.
That's a fine reason to get a G2! In fact, me too! That lens is what drew me into getting a G1, which was sent back to KEH with film-wind problems, and replaced with a G2.

Old 02-23-2009   #40
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

My M4-P. Replaced (counts fingers) 19 years later by an M6.

My OM1n. Replaced (counts toes) 22 years later by another.

Leica: M-P Typ 240 - M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M - 21 Super-Elmar - 28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 APO-Summicron ASPH - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
Nikon RF: S2 - S3 2000 - 35/2.5 - 50/2 - 50/1.4 Millennium - 105/2.5 - 135/3.4
X-Pro2, X-M1, X100s, NEX-7, dp0 Quattro, N1V1, N1V2, oodles of other stuff