Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Other RF

Other RF Forum for the many Rangefinder cameras that do not have a dedicated RFF forum.

Epson Digital Rangefinder seems too big
Old 03-23-2004   #1
strangedoctor

Epson Digital Rangefinder seems too big

Although it's a laudible first digital rangefinder, and all I can do is speculate, it does seem like this camera is too damned big. It's taller than the Leica M5, which flopped because of its girth. In fact, maybe this camera is very close to the M5 -- a first step (it took Leica another 8 years after the M5 to release the viable, metered M6).

If you read Leitz's early Barnack camera developments, he was obsessed with moderate size. He insisted that the rangefinder camera itself be the same height as the existing, rangefinder-less camera. Epson/Cosina/Leica needs to stick to those early goals. Otherwise, what's the point of a rangefinder?

Re: Epson Digital Rangefinder seems too big
Old 03-23-2004   #2
lars

Re: Epson Digital Rangefinder seems too big

Quote:
Originally posted by strangedoctor
If you read Leitz's early Barnack camera developments, he was obsessed with moderate size. He insisted that the rangefinder camera itself be the same height as the existing, rangefinder-less camera. Epson/Cosina/Leica needs to stick to those early goals. Otherwise, what's the point of a rangefinder?
Quiet shutter, easy focusing in low light, fast manual focusing, small lenses, 1:1 viewfinder mag, no mirror blackout.

If size were the main concern, there are more than a few small, lightweight SLRs that would be just as good and more versatile.

...lars

Old 03-23-2004   #3
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

I hope you meant to say "laudable", or else I'll choose to read "laughable".

Sorry, bad pun... Can't help myself...
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Old 03-23-2004   #4
JohnL
Very confused

Unavoidable it should be deeper, to have the display on the back, and it is also taller than the R2 - don't know why. I *think* its the same width.

John