Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > FSU Former Soviet Union RF

FSU Former Soviet Union RF This forum is for the Former Soviet Union rangefinder cameras, especially the many and various Fed, Zorki, and Kiev.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

KIEV 2 Improve Viewfinder
Old 09-22-2019   #1
Wompa
Amature Photogeek
 
Wompa's Avatar
 
Wompa is offline
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Västerås, Sweden
Age: 30
Posts: 28
KIEV 2 Improve Viewfinder

Hi everyone!

I have obtained a Kiev 2 and want to know if there is some way to improve the viewfinder.

Its both smal, and very dim.
The camera is alot like the Contax II even if its a camera from -56.

Does it exist any way to get it brighter and maybe a bit larger... without using an aditional viewfinder ontop.

__________________
Zorki-4
Jupiter-8 f2.8/50, Actina 42, Sunpak GX17

Ricoh 35 ZF
Rikenon f2.8/43, Sunpak GX17

Pentax K100D Super
Pentax DA 18-55

Missing

Asahi Pentax KX
SMC Pentax 1:3.5/28, SMC Pentax 1:3.5/135, HOYA HMC Skylight (1B) 52mm, Sunpak Auto20

"It's an ingenious solution to a problem that should never have existed in the first place" James May

My photos
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2019   #2
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier
 
xayraa33's Avatar
 
xayraa33 is offline
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 5,873
Use a separate VF in the cold shoe, like a Leitz SBOOI for the 50 mil lens. Just use the RF in the camera's VF for focus only.

These 1930s design RF 35mm cameras all have small squinty and dim viewfinders.
__________________
My Gallery
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2019   #3
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 7,502
Based on the image provided it needs CLA long time due too.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2019   #4
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers
 
Sarcophilus Harrisii is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,666
I've never cleaned Kiev optics but I certainly have cleaned a few Contax II optics. There are a multitude of internal optical surfaces that comprise the viewfinder/rangefinder system. In my experience if you are thorough and carefully clean all of them the finder will be surprisingly bright for a 1935 design, and the patch contrasty and phenomenally accurate. It does entail removing the front cover plate, the top cover and the top casing to access all these optics but the reward will be a very usable finder with a RF system that has never been surpassed in accuracy.

As to size—you'll have to live with that. Unless you're up to re-designing the internal lenses for greater coverage and fabricating modified housings for them and for the camera body—without compromising the layout of the internal mechanism. Which you're not (because if you were you would not be asking how to improve the finder in the first place, right?). You'll have to live with that (and fit an external finder if you'd like to).
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2019   #5
Wompa
Amature Photogeek
 
Wompa's Avatar
 
Wompa is offline
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Västerås, Sweden
Age: 30
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Based on the image provided it needs CLA long time due too.
Yes.. It wouldnt harm to have it CLA.

I have no clue where it came from or anything, it seems like it must have been a camera that have seen very little use latest 20years and been sitting in a bad place.
The inside had what looked like mold but was some sort of dust collected everywhere and all the grease was like mud.

The focusing was stiff but the shutter worked fine at higher speeds.
So I took it aparts and used it for two rolls of FP4.
Later that day I noticed the focusing was a bit wank and it became more and more obvious the more I used it.

I opened the top and the prism had broken in two right in the middle...
So It was a small crack that I missed when I went true it the first time.

Its fixed now with some epoxy and paint but Its not near as sharp as before when looking true the viewfinder and seeing the patch.
Ohh well.. its a great little camera! I really love it.

__________________
Zorki-4
Jupiter-8 f2.8/50, Actina 42, Sunpak GX17

Ricoh 35 ZF
Rikenon f2.8/43, Sunpak GX17

Pentax K100D Super
Pentax DA 18-55

Missing

Asahi Pentax KX
SMC Pentax 1:3.5/28, SMC Pentax 1:3.5/135, HOYA HMC Skylight (1B) 52mm, Sunpak Auto20

"It's an ingenious solution to a problem that should never have existed in the first place" James May

My photos
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2019   #6
Wompa
Amature Photogeek
 
Wompa's Avatar
 
Wompa is offline
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Västerås, Sweden
Age: 30
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
I've never cleaned Kiev optics but I certainly have cleaned a few Contax II optics. There are a multitude of internal optical surfaces that comprise the viewfinder/rangefinder system. In my experience if you are thorough and carefully clean all of them the finder will be surprisingly bright for a 1935 design, and the patch contrasty and phenomenally accurate. It does entail removing the front cover plate, the top cover and the top casing to access all these optics but the reward will be a very usable finder with a RF system that has never been surpassed in accuracy.

As to size—you'll have to live with that. Unless you're up to re-designing the internal lenses for greater coverage and fabricating modified housings for them and for the camera body—without compromising the layout of the internal mechanism. Which you're not (because if you were you would not be asking how to improve the finder in the first place, right?). You'll have to live with that (and fit an external finder if you'd like to).
It seems that the prism was cracked before and now it had broken in two.
So that didnt help...
But besides that, It isnt a camera for everyday use and especially fast photos.. I used it during a vintage bicycle meet and it was perfect for that occasion.
Besides that.. its a great camera! I really love using it.
It feels really solid, and its quite reliable for beeing 70years old.
__________________
Zorki-4
Jupiter-8 f2.8/50, Actina 42, Sunpak GX17

Ricoh 35 ZF
Rikenon f2.8/43, Sunpak GX17

Pentax K100D Super
Pentax DA 18-55

Missing

Asahi Pentax KX
SMC Pentax 1:3.5/28, SMC Pentax 1:3.5/135, HOYA HMC Skylight (1B) 52mm, Sunpak Auto20

"It's an ingenious solution to a problem that should never have existed in the first place" James May

My photos
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2019   #7
nukecoke
⚛Yashica
 
nukecoke's Avatar
 
nukecoke is offline
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Sweden/China
Posts: 1,014
I got a KIEV 2 last summer and had it serviced by Oleg. Performs very well now. I have had two KIEV 4A before that and I like all of them. I tend to use the KIEVs in winter more since their shutters are more cold proof, and the heft of the camera fits the heaviness of the season very well.
__________________
tumblr

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8
Philip Whiteman
Registered User
 
Philip Whiteman's Avatar
 
Philip Whiteman is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 189
I'd recommend getting your hands on an el cheapo (and generally crap) Kiev 4, and swapping its intact viewfinder 'pencil' for the broken one in your 2, Wompa. That component is identical from the Contax II all the way to the Kiev 4M - and a Kiev 2 is well worth resurrecting, being built by a motivated workforce trained by ex-Zeiss technicians.

The viewfinder prism of even the late Kievs seems to be well made - but the less said about the mechanical aspects of the camera, the better.

Your Kiev 2 also doesn't appear to have been butchered to incorporate a flash sync socket, which makes it all the nicer.

Cleaned and lubricated, as I imagine you have done already, it should be an excellent camera, close to a Contax in its quality - and something worth hanging on to (and using)
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9
Wompa
Amature Photogeek
 
Wompa's Avatar
 
Wompa is offline
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Västerås, Sweden
Age: 30
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Whiteman View Post
I'd recommend getting your hands on an el cheapo (and generally crap) Kiev 4, and swapping its intact viewfinder 'pencil' for the broken one in your 2, Wompa. That component is identical from the Contax II all the way to the Kiev 4M - and a Kiev 2 is well worth resurrecting, being built by a motivated workforce trained by ex-Zeiss technicians.

The viewfinder prism of even the late Kievs seems to be well made - but the less said about the mechanical aspects of the camera, the better.

Your Kiev 2 also doesn't appear to have been butchered to incorporate a flash sync socket, which makes it all the nicer.

Cleaned and lubricated, as I imagine you have done already, it should be an excellent camera, close to a Contax in its quality - and something worth hanging on to (and using)
Great idea, because even if I glued it quite good it feels that the prism is a bit wonky and it doesnt aline the screen completly 100%.

Its a real tank of a camera! And I would love to use it more, but the viewfinder is of quilter so Im at the point not that I need to aline the 0,9m and infinity... it takes a bit of trial and error.

I will check Ebay after a relic of a KIEV and see If im lucky with the prism. And also.. I get alot of extra screws because that is missing from my camera
__________________
Zorki-4
Jupiter-8 f2.8/50, Actina 42, Sunpak GX17

Ricoh 35 ZF
Rikenon f2.8/43, Sunpak GX17

Pentax K100D Super
Pentax DA 18-55

Missing

Asahi Pentax KX
SMC Pentax 1:3.5/28, SMC Pentax 1:3.5/135, HOYA HMC Skylight (1B) 52mm, Sunpak Auto20

"It's an ingenious solution to a problem that should never have existed in the first place" James May

My photos
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 17:24.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.