Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Zeiss Contax

Zeiss Contax Forum for the classic Zeiss Contax I, II, III, IIa, IIIa , G series, and if you want to push it, the nice Contax point and shoots. Some spill over from the Kievs, the Soviet copy of the Contax II/III can also be expected. Plus the ONLY production camera ever made in classic Zeiss Contax Rangefinder mount WITH TTL metering ... the Voigtlander Bessa R2C.

Will a Nikon SB-20 do TTL properly on a Contax G1?
Old 02-27-2010   #1
Jerry Thirsty

Will a Nikon SB-20 do TTL properly on a Contax G1?

Hi all, I'm looking for alternatives to my TLA 200 flash. I also happen to have a Nikon SB-20, which looks like it might work. So long as I set it to TTL the flash symbol lights up in the viewfinder and it sets the shutter speed to 1/60th. I intend to run a roll to see how it works, but if anyone has any experience or tips to share I'd like to hear them. thanks, Jerry

Old 02-27-2010   #2
kdemas
ʎlʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp sƃuıɥʇ ǝǝS

If memory serves me right you have to use it in "A" mode, not ttl.

Kent

Old 02-27-2010   #3
imokruok

Interested to hear how this works out. I have a G2 and an SB-25, but have never used the two together. I'm going to guess "no," but there are occasionally pleasant surprises. I agree that the TLA200 leaves much to be desired. While it does TTL and the distance is very easy to set, you can't bounce it. Head-on flash is rarely a good look.

Old 02-27-2010   #4
drewbarb
picnic like it's 1999

Short answer: no. The contacts are in the the same postitions, but that's where compatibility ends. The electronics are different. It will indeed work fine in full manual and Auto (aperture/thyristor) mode; but TTL won't work correctly.

Old 02-28-2010   #5
Jerry Thirsty

Okay, well I figured it was worth looking into. I'm comfortable using it in A and M, but TTL would have been nice too. I found the hot shoe pinout for Nikon, but not Contax: does anyone know the pin assignments, or have a diagram?

Old 02-28-2010   #6
uhligfd

I tried this with the G2 and the Nikon SB-28: no flash ever ... came out in any set flash mode ...

Old 03-01-2010   #7
Jerry Thirsty

As cheap as the TLA 280 is at KEH, I decided I'd rather part with money rather than time. Got one on the way. Thanks everyone.