Kodak E6 Kit, a few specific questions
Old 03-01-2010   #1
imokruok

Kodak E6 Kit, a few specific questions

Hi everyone. I have decided to pick up one of the 5 liter Kodak E6 kits, and there are a few questions I have before I dunk some film. I wanted to start a new thread, since on at least one question, I can't seem to get a straight answer from all of my searches. I will be doing the developing in a small hand tank. So, with thanks in advance, here goes.

1) Is there any table of what development times should be used with different films? The Kodak instructions indicate a time of 6:00 to 7:00, which can be varied from 5:00 to 8:30. Kind of broad. I shoot mainly Fuji Provia and Velvia and have read in many places that an increase in developing time of 16% for Fuji films is recommended. But is this still the case with the current chemistry and film, and if so, 16% of what? 6 minutes, 6:30?

2) Is the preferred time for Kodak film 6:30? I have an old Super 8 camera, and may shoot a roll or two of Ekta 64T just for the hell of it.

3) Do I need dark containers if I'm doing single-use? (that is, will any of the chemicals degrade in light if I leave them out in a clear container for an hour while they warm up?)

Thanks for all of your help. Apart from these questions, I think I'm ready to go!

Old 03-01-2010   #2
Beemermark

Maybe you'll already done this, but have you checked out the Kodak site? Lot's of good information. Times for E6 vary on the process development type (tank, dip, continuous, etc).
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/busin...?pq-path=12340

Old 03-01-2010   #3
imokruok

Definitely - tons of good info on the Kodak site, which is why I only have a few questions. But even their big development manual is no more specific than the kit manual here:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...443/ti2443.pdf

Old 03-01-2010   #4
Jerry Thirsty

I use 6:00 for Kodak, 7:00 for Fuji, at 38 deg C in Jobo drums (rotation).

Old 03-20-2010   #5
imokruok

Thanks for your suggestions. I finally got around to developing some 120 last night, and I think it worked out very well. I changed the water bath in the sink a few times to warm up the chemicals, and on the third bath, everything seemed to sit at 101 deg F. Works for me.

One question I'm hoping you guys can answer. (#3 above.) Do I need to keep the developers in dark bottles after I've mixed them if I'm doing single-use and using them right away? The reason I ask is that I mixed all 7 chemicals in clear Tupperware containers, and it seemed like the pink/purple color of the color developer and the yellowish color of the first developer seemed to fade a little bit as I warmed up the bottles. How quickly do the developers degrade in light?

Old 03-20-2010   #6
Ronald M

The first developer is critical. Decant to small glass bottles & use one shot. That component is cheap. This is the one that is temp critical.

I used 6 open tanks and a lift rod
and a dark room. 40 min in the dark is a pain, but works fine.

I have also use a single closed tank. That is ok too.

Contamination is you #1 enemy and you will never figure out what went wrong, so dedicate some containers and use them only for that. Wash, rinse, and wash some more.

Calibrate your thermometer with a master

Old 03-20-2010   #7
imokruok

Yes - I'm definitely using dedicated containers. I wouldn't risk mixing E6 chemistry and food. I went to the Container Store and got 7 of these 1 liter bottles so I can mix the E6 in five separate 1 liter batches. (I use wine-saver argon gas to top off the Kodak bottles. I expect to get through the whole batch in a couple of weeks anyhow.)

But since I'm not doing darkroom development, my major concern are the two developers and whether they can sit in the light for an hour while they warm up. The containers are not opaque. I would use Datatainers for the developers, but they are graded in ounces and I can't fit a whole liter in their 32 oz. bottle. (And the next size up is too big.)

For temp control, I use a Thermapen. Awesome piece of gear that gives near-instant readings.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/...thermapen.html

Old 03-20-2010   #8
jan normandale
Film is the other way

this is very informative, I ordered a Kodak E6 Kit about 2 weeks ago and Im waiting for the store/Vistek to call when it lands. Like you I'm intrested in the storage aspect of the chemicals and the longevity once mixed. The kit was about $100 and if it has to be used quickly after it's prepared I'll save up my E6 film and do a long run of film so the chemicals are used properly.

I've seen film done in expired chemicals... heartbreaking.

it's all about light

Old 03-20-2010   #9
imokruok

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan normandale View Post
this is very informative, I ordered a Kodak E6 Kit about 2 weeks ago and Im waiting for the store/Vistek to call when it lands. Like you I'm intrested in the storage aspect of the chemicals and the longevity once mixed. The kit was about $100 and if it has to be used quickly after it's prepared I'll save up my E6 film and do a long run of film so the chemicals are used properly.

I've seen film done in expired chemicals... heartbreaking.
Kodak's E6 guide indicates that mixed solutions are good for 4 weeks if stored under nitrogen, or 1 week if in partially filled bottles. This is by no means scientific, but I have been told that for the stock chemicals, you get at least twice that time under the same conditions and a slow tail off in quality after that. You can use compressed air (from a can) as well to help evacuate oxygen; that gas is heavier than air, as well as the wine preserver stuff that I use.

As a side note, that's nearly twice what I paid for the E6 kit, so I assume wherever you are it's a shipping cost issue. You *can* reuse the single-use kits if you want to get more life out of it, but Kodak doesn't advise on the spec., so you're pretty much going on whatever you're able to pick up from others' tips. Obviously, don't do critical rolls in it either.

Last edited by imokruok : 03-20-2010 at 18:24.

Old 03-21-2010   #10
jan normandale
Film is the other way

imok.. fwiw, I'm in Toronto. Stuff coming from the US costs more here than in the US .. despite the "Free Trade Agreement and Treaty" (OT it's more like the not so free or even the fee trade treaty)

Thanks for the "best by" date info. I'll obviously need to save up rolls prior to developing. Are you using Kodak's E6 kit or someone else's?

it's all about light

Old 03-22-2010   #11
imokruok

A good reason to have a US mail drop.

Yes, I have the Kodak E6 kit. Make sure to get the full instructions from the Kodak website. The box only includes very basic instructions printed on the inside.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...443/ti2443.pdf

Old 03-22-2010   #12
jan normandale
Film is the other way

thanks for the link, I've downloaded the PDF. I picked up my E6 kit today. I think I'll shoot a few more rolls of colour reversal so I have a decent load to use up the chemistry.

it's all about light