Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X-100 Series

Fuji X-100 Series This forum is for fans of the rangefinder retrostyled Fuji X Series of digital cameras.

899 - Fuji X100
Old 01-15-2011   #1
_larky

899 - Fuji X100

Hello.

So it's going to be 899.00, or at least that's what a Fuji rep told me. And a camera company I wont name just in case they aren't supposed to say anything confirmed they were told the exact same thing. So, looks like I'll be buying

Old 01-15-2011   #2
PatrickT
New Rangefinder User

If thats true then awesome! I'll be buying more than likely as well

Old 01-15-2011   #3
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickT View Post
If thats true then awesome! I'll be buying more than likely as well
You did notice that this was pounds sterling, right? Presumably it includes VAT at 20%. which drops it to 750 without tax or about $1150 at the current exchange rate.

Cheers,

R.

Old 01-15-2011   #4
bgb

That price would make it $1550 here in New Zealand.

I would have to fall in love with the little thing first.

Old 01-15-2011   #5
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Count all of yourselves lucky. Here in Iceland prices are sometimes double or even more the US/EU price

Old 01-15-2011   #6
Mister E
-

I have money in hand to make a digital exception.

Old 01-15-2011   #7
Neare

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgb View Post
That price would make it $1550 here in New Zealand.

I would have to fall in love with the little thing first.

They'll charge more for it in NZ just because every other piece of camera gear has a premium on it. I'd expect $1800nzd at least.

Old 01-15-2011   #8
bgb

New Zealand not the best place to buy camera gear but we could order it from the USA direct and hope customs don't give us a beating That's how lots of people are getting their film now especially if they shoot large format.

At $1800 it would need to be one hell of a camera and i hope it is

Old 01-15-2011   #9
dbarnes

FWIW Adorama also showing $1199.

Old 01-15-2011   #10
wooiloon

$200 more than what I expected Will have to wait for year until price drop .

Old 01-15-2011   #11
Quash

Vistek and Henry's in Canada pre-ordering for $1200. Downtown Camera is $1100. Canadian dollar at par with American. So, this gives you a rough idea about how this is shaking out. At $1200, they have priced themselves in to a niche. Too bad, given they are likely using a more than two year-old Sony sensor that is tweaked and a low res lcd screen. Lots of things are good and new about this camera but not $1200 good. A remember, it doesn't even come with a lens hood. You have to buy an adapter and lens hood separately.

Old 01-15-2011   #12
bwcolor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quash View Post
Vistek and Henry's in Canada pre-ordering for $1200. Downtown Camera is $1100. Canadian dollar at par with American. So, this gives you a rough idea about how this is shaking out. At $1200, they have priced themselves in to a niche. Too bad, given they are likely using a more than two year-old Sony sensor that is tweaked and a low res lcd screen. Lots of things are good and new about this camera but not $1200 good. A remember, it doesn't even come with a lens hood. You have to buy an adapter and lens hood separately.
I'm so happy that you are trashing it. Unfortunately, it will probably be a great little camera and I just spent the money I saved for it on two Contax bodies and two lenses. I vaccinated myself from the dreaded Fujifilm X100 GAS attack..yes.. I'm now photofunds poor.

Old 01-15-2011   #13
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

I think I'm weird, I've never used a lens hood on any of my lenses or cameras. The few times I see noticeable flare, I cup my hand over it in that direction, and so far that's worked for me. The hoods always make the camera too large and are a pain to reverse when putting the camera back in a bag.

I plan only to buy the butt case accessory.

Old 01-15-2011   #14
LKeithR
Improving daily--I think.

Funny how others are concerned about cost and trivialities like lens hoods. My primary interest will be image quality and handling. Assuming that the camera can deliver in this area; it will get a very serious look from me. Who else sells a decent digital rangefinder for this kind of money? OK, OK, I know, some of you don't think it's a rangefinder but it's darn close and the closest we've come so far to an "affordable" DRF. If Fuji can deliver the goods with this camera it could prove to be a real breakthrough...
"Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed." - Mark Twain

Old 01-15-2011   #15
tapesonthefloor

Ha, you want trivialities? I made the mistake of reading Fuji's "What Others Say" page, and it's nearly as useless as an average newspaper comments section. Watch this:

Quote:
What about 3D capability? Will there be a version of X100 with two sets of lenses and sensors, similar to "Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3"? Or, what about some "system connector" that could connect two X100s together, to get a two-camera 3D system with a decent image quality and low-light performance? Naturally, due to bulk and weight, one camera with two lenses+sensors would be preferable, and also likely less costly to produce than two.

Old 01-16-2011   #16
_larky

Quote:
Originally Posted by videogamemaker View Post
I think I'm weird, I've never used a lens hood on any of my lenses or cameras. The few times I see noticeable flare, I cup my hand over it in that direction, and so far that's worked for me. The hoods always make the camera too large and are a pain to reverse when putting the camera back in a bag.

I plan only to buy the butt case accessory.
I do the exact same thing, every time I have a hood on it gets in the way of the controls for me. I have the money for this camera waiting. Looking for couple of good 8gig SD cards to if anyone can suggest a brand? I have very poor luck with SD cards.

Old 01-16-2011   #17
Mister E
-

My hoods aren't for flare. They are to help keep fingers, rain and dirt off of the lens.

Old 01-16-2011   #18
Latecomer
Making up for lost time

Mine too. I have a bad record with front elements

Old 01-16-2011   #19
Spyro

Ι wonder if the leather case smells good

Old 01-16-2011   #20
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quash View Post
So, what will you buy instead with your $1200?

Old 01-16-2011   #21
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
Ι wonder if the leather case smells good
Probably not, they said it's not real leather. *edit: oops, wrong, it is real leather*

Last edited by videogamemaker : 01-16-2011 at 09:04.

Old 01-16-2011   #22
aad
Not so new now.

Travel? That helps my image quality.

Old 01-16-2011   #23
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
So, what will you buy instead with your $1200?
I was thinking something last night about when people complain about the high cost making the camera "not worth it". Why care enough to post about it, unless the camera has struck a "lust-nerve". If it was truly not worth it, wouldn't it be so easy to walk away as to not need discussing it? Caring enough to post in a derogatory manner gives away the individuals desire for the camera, which speaks to the value they've imbued into it.

Old 01-16-2011   #24
bigeye

..because a forum can improve photography and equipment.

The curious can sift through free web knowledge and decide whether someone's experience or observation is worth taking or to set out and pioneer.

You seem to define derogatory as anything knocking the strange amount hyperbole surrounding the introduction of this camera.

- C

PS - I would have bought the used SWC that just went for the same price in the classifieds.

Last edited by bigeye : 01-16-2011 at 05:18.

Old 01-16-2011   #25
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

But no one has experience with it yet, so sifting through posts of "it's not worth it", "niche product", "two year old sensor" don't give anyone extra information. That's derogatory.

And how does quibbling the price improve the equipment? They set price based on construction cost, marketing money-units needed, and psychological aspects of price and markup. They didn't increase the price based on forum excitement, and they won't decrease it if enough people whine about the cost being too high. It didn't work for the m8 or m9 or X1, and it won't work for the X100.

Old 01-16-2011   #26
ZeissFan

Price is also based on the maximum that people will pay, because a company exists to make as much profit as possible. They're not running a charity.

Regardless, people will decide either that it's a worthwhile purchase or it's not.

Personally, I think this camera will do quite well with sales, based purely on the excitement and amount of positive comments about it.

Hopefully, Fuji delivers on the hype.

Old 01-16-2011   #27
sweathog

So... 899. What does that mean after 3 months? 750? This thing is looking more doable.

Old 01-16-2011   #28
_larky

People keep discussing the extras you can buy for the camera, cases etc - not just on this forum. Where are they listed?

Old 01-16-2011   #29
tlitody

Quote:
Originally Posted by _larky View Post
Hello.

So it's going to be 899.00, or at least that's what a Fuji rep told me. And a camera company I wont name just in case they aren't supposed to say anything confirmed they were told the exact same thing. So, looks like I'll be buying
Have you got any info on price of GF670W ?

Old 01-16-2011   #30
btgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweathog View Post
So... 899. What does that mean after 3 months? 750? This thing is looking more doable.
It's not written yet...depends on amounts manufactured and demanded.

Old 01-16-2011   #31
pixelatedscraps

This is a good step, but I don't think I'm going to pick one up. Hopefully this brings us closer to a Bessa D1, which I will be picking up

iMac Pro 10-core, 64Gb, 1Tb, Vega 56 | Mac Pro 5,1 2x 3.33Ghz, 64Gb, 480Gb SSD PCIe, 500Gb SSD, 2x 4Tb HDD, RX 560 2Gb, USB-C, EIZO CS2730

PLAY
Mamiya 6 | 50/4 | 75/3.5
Leica M4 | 35mm f2.8 Summaron
Kodak Retina IIc | 50mm f2 Xenon
Olympus XA4
Yashica T4 Super

Old 01-16-2011   #32
sweathog

Quote:
Originally Posted by btgc View Post
It's not written yet...depends on amounts manufactured and demanded.
That's a fair comment but I was just basing that on what I observed as a general rule while working at Jessops.

Old 01-16-2011   #33
tapesonthefloor

Quote:
Originally Posted by videogamemaker View Post
Probably not, they said it's not real leather.
You're thinking of the leather-like camera covering. The never-ready case is absolutely leather:

http://www.finepix-x100.com/en/story/craftsmanship-2

Old 01-16-2011   #34
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapesonthefloor View Post
You're thinking of the leather-like camera covering. The never-ready case is absolutely leather:

http://www.finepix-x100.com/en/story/craftsmanship-2
Whoops, sorry, you're right.

Old 01-16-2011   #35
_larky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlitody View Post
Have you got any info on price of GF670W ?
Sorry, I asked specifically about the X100.

Old 01-16-2011   #36
Frankie
Speaking Frankly

Quote:
People keep discussing the extras you can buy for the camera, cases etc - not just on this forum. Where are they listed?
The extras are only shown in a poster at Photokina and again at CES. Items known to be available so far are: flash unit [GN unknown], lens adapter ring [49mm female to bayonet], lens hood [bayonet] and [2-piece] leather case.

The lens cap is included in-the-box...no doubt also the charger, cables, software CD......

Old 01-16-2011   #37
antiquark
Derek Ross

The price isn't outrageous, compared to other cameras. Say we compare it with the Olympus EP2 w 18mm lens, $850. The extra $350 can be explained because:

- it's a new camera and concept
- it has an optical viewfinder with head-up display
- the lens is 1 stop faster
- sensor is larger
- has a built-in flash

So it's not like it's a blatant rip-off, the price is actually reasonable.

Old 01-16-2011   #38
_larky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
The extras are only shown in a poster at Photokina and again at CES. Items known to be available so far are: flash unit [GN unknown], lens adapter ring [49mm female to bayonet], lens hood [bayonet] and [2-piece] leather case.

The lens cap is included in-the-box...no doubt also the charger, cables, software CD......
OK thanks. I'll be getting the case and the lens hood, even though I don't tend to use them, because in this case it looks stunning and maybe will help me keep stuff off the lens.

Hope it's March release, although April is my birthday...

Old 01-16-2011   #39
btgc

Quote:
OK thanks. I'll be getting the case and the lens hood, even though I don't tend to use them, because in this case it looks stunning and maybe will help me keep stuff off the lens.
And if you will decide to sell it at some point, case and hood will attract those bidders who otherwise would pass on it There's category of people who like "the set".

Old 01-16-2011   #40
videogamemaker
icelandic_photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquark View Post
The price isn't outrageous, compared to other cameras. Say we compare it with the Olympus EP2 w 18mm lens, $850. The extra $350 can be explained because:

- it's a new camera and concept
- it has an optical viewfinder with head-up display
- the lens is 1 stop faster
- sensor is larger
- has a built-in flash

So it's not like it's a blatant rip-off, the price is actually reasonable.
If you compare it to the Leica X1 it becomes even more of a value.

- 1,200 vs 2,000 USD
- 9 blades instead of 6
- built in viewfinder - none
- f/2 vs f/2.8
- lens that doesn't need to retract to power on/of vs lens that needs to retract
- Manual aperture ring vs dial
- larger higher res lcd vs smaller lower res