Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

The psychology of 'THAT' auction site
Old 01-24-2011   #1
Dralowid
Michael

A question to those who buy and sell on this well known site from one who plans to reduce the amount of gear in his cupboard.

...and I guess it is a question as old as the hills...

Do you start with no reserve and risk selling below an acceptable price but at least get a sense of 'buy in' from the bidders?

Do you set a starting price at your acceptable price and wait for bids to the last minute?

Do you set a reserve price and watch the bids increase as the bidders search for the reserve?

(from what I can see many traders seem to start at zero.)

What advice (apart from not using the site) would you give someone who is selling off gear and trying to save for an M8 or even 9?

Michael

Old 01-24-2011   #2
Proteus617

Almost more important than reserve or starting price is timing your auction. Plenty of buyers don't use sniping software. Here on the East Coast of the US, I try to end my auctions later in the evening, on weekends. The East Coast has not gone to bed yet, and the LA is finishing dinner. Woe to you who has an auction ending 11AM EST. Also, reserved or starting prices at the actual value of the item can scare potential bidders away. I'm more likely to bid up if I think I'm competing with a bidder as opposed to a reserve.

Old 01-24-2011   #3
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralowid View Post
What advice (apart from not using the site) would you give someone who is selling off gear and trying to save for an M8 or even 9?

Michael
Dear Michael,

Unfortunately... (see highlight).

But from basic psychology, I suspect that 'no reserve' will attract more interest, which is a self-stoking process. Better still, setting a silly-low reserve ($0.99 for a very expensive item) may get you free advertising on sites like this: LEICA MP FOR $0.99?

There's always a risk of a low bid. But discounting luck and invoking psychology, my advice stands.

Cheers,

R.

Old 01-24-2011   #4
CK Dexter Haven

I use a Buy It Now price on virtually everything i sell. I have a price in mind, that i feel is fair in comparison to KEH and other ebay prices, and that price is also one where i won't feel 'ripped off' if it sells. I'm not looking to take advantage of anyone by selling above value. Doing it this way also means that i almost never lose money, because i've typically only bought 'at value' or 'below value' used gear, kept it well, and then shifted it without depreciation.

I have, though, wondered if i'd set my price too low, when the item ends up selling on the first day.... But, again, i didn't sell below what i wanted for it, so it's not something i worry about. I tend to think the timing was just right.

Old 01-24-2011   #5
Tim Gray

Have your auction end on Sunday evening. I think you are better off with a no reserve auction, a starting bid of $0.01, and a Buy It Now price that you'd be happy with. You can always cancel your auction if it's not going the way you want it too. I think that has to be done either 12 or 24 hours before the end. I sold a $2k camera that way and got most of my asking price.

That Monday afternoon thing sounds like a good idea too. I just know that I am almost always home on Sunday night and if I spotted an auction during the week that catches my eye, I can be at home to hand 'snipe' it if I need to.

You are also probably better off separating out valuable accessories. I don't think Ebay buyers for the most part factor in the extra $300 worth of stuff you have in your auction. Lastly, you will make more after the ebay fees and paypal fees are taken out if you can sell on craigslist or one of the forums. I've had much better experiences here than on ebay.

Old 01-24-2011   #6
apodeictic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus617 View Post
Woe to you who has an auction ending 11AM EST.
I think that's why I got my near mint M4 for a little over $600. Auction ended at around 10:30am EST and nobody bid in the last few hours of the auction. I went in in the last 60 seconds with a single bid over the current one and got it! Partially luck and a lot of waiting.

.... not unlike trying to get an inexpensive 35mm on the classifieds here.

Old 01-24-2011   #7
John Lawrence

I've had great success selling with no reserve.

It can be a bit nail biting at times, such as when I listed my Linhof Technika and found that with one day to go it had two bids on it and the price was 35.00 - but it ended up selling for 1,500.

John

Old 01-24-2011   #8
tbarker13
shooter of stuff

I generally use a reserve. And I also use a buy-it-now option.
As someone mentioned above - timing is important. Don't end your auction at 3 am when most people are asleep.

Old 01-24-2011   #9
btgc

I think, good pictures attract more than timing. I've seen great gear presented by crappy pictures (out of focus direct flash shots) going for nothing. Same stuff with proper pictures shot under diffused light - and same thing fetches twice or triple as much. Got idea?

Old 01-24-2011   #10
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Like Aperture 64, I usually run a 10-day auction. But I start mine on Thursday evening, so it will end Sunday evening. Aperture 64's idea of ending on Monday evening does make sense.

I don't like bidding on auctions that have a reserve. I find it off-putting. I generally set the starting price a little on the low side, and a BIN that is a little optimistic, but not unreasonable.

I feel that taking the trouble to post a set of really good pictures is important. I am much more likely to bid on an item when I can really see what it looks like.

Are you sure you want to part with so much gear just to get an M8 or M9? What if you don't like the digital M after you've used it?

Old 01-24-2011   #11
Arjay
Time Traveller

Mostly what aperture64 said.

I've done a lot of buying and selling on that site, and I never used reserve prices - I almost always set my auctions to a very low starting price (that attracts more potential buyers), and I pay a lot of attention to timing. Make sure that the end of an auction does not coincide with major sports events that might be broadcasted via TV (that's when less people will be online).

Before trying to sell anything valuable, make sure you've checked that
  1. you have enough feedback votes (number > 30 w/ a reasonable number of sales) and
  2. you have a high percentage og 'good' feedback ratings (> ~99.6%), or else your auction will not attract too many bidders.
  3. Also, run a search of finished auctions to see at which price the item in question was sold, and how many of these items were sold recently. Now you get an impression of what price you can expect. Caution: If there have been very few or no auctions for that item, prices will be much less predictable, because then, it's a buyers' rather than a seller's market.
Auction ending times during office hours IMHO only make sense for items that might get bought for professional use. In my experience anything that will be used in a private context sells better with an ending time outside of office hours (in Europe, many companies are strongly opposed to personal internet use on the workplace).

My RFF Gallery, My Flickr, My Ipernity, all presenting different bodies of work

Last edited by Arjay : 01-24-2011 at 06:48.

Old 01-24-2011   #12
btgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarker13 View Post
I generally use a reserve. And I also use a buy-it-now option.
As someone mentioned above - timing is important. Don't end your auction at 3 am when most people are asleep.
That's not a big problem if one ships internationally. We on opposite side of pound are on shift while you americans, are asleep

OK, US based seller will be happier to ship locally, maybe, and thus adjust ending times to local schedule, but for me, if I have wanted something from the dark side of the planet, it's never have been restricting factor.

Old 01-24-2011   #13
tlitody

I agree with most of above observations.
I had a Linhof Technikardan I sold a while back. I bought it new and so it was inevitable I was going to take a big loss. It was in almost new condition so I put a high reserve because I didn't want to give it away given its condition. Needless to say it didn't sell it. People just won't bid on reserve prices close to what you might reasonably expect to get for it. In the end I wrote a little additional page on my website and put it up for sale there. Eventually I got a buyer for a reasonable price.

I would use longer auction periods, at least two weeks to give more people a chance to see it. If you bought your items new you will take a big hit, auction buyers are cheapskates and want bargains so you have to give them a chance or they won't bite.

You could try the RFF ads section or if you have a website you could try selling from there but it takes much longer and you must know how to get high in google searches.

I have a couple of LF lenses to sell and am just about to put them on the auction site. I expect to take a loss as they were new too but I don't do LF anymore so they are sitting unused. I'd post them here but RFF is mostly 35mm from what I can see.

Old 01-24-2011   #14
atlcruiser
Part Yeti

I always have a BIN price that is jsut a bit less than wha I really want or think it is worth. Often I include free shipping to make the ad stand out and factor in the cost.

I also have a store on e bay...get one it is free! The advantage is that you can do a 7-10 day auction and if it does not sell you can move it to store inventory. It will still be for sale and your selling/listing cost goes way down. One needs to be careful how it is listed to make sure it shows up correctly in the listings for store items.

I park items in the store and they do sell eventually...i just sold a bag that has been in my store for 2 years!

Allow folks to submit a best offer. Even if the offer is low you can mail the buyer and try to explain why you think your price is a good price....jsut another way to communicate with buyers

leica M6 ttl
Hassy X Pan
Big ass Fuji G690BL
Some really BIG ASS LF stuff

my flikr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

my website:
www.dearbornphoto.com

southeastern RFF flikr: Please look/join
http://www.flickr.com/groups/[email protected]/?added=6

Old 01-24-2011   #15
jesse1dog
Light Catcher

As you are UK based I think ending on a Sunday evening is the best idea for a seller - as a buyer I notice that items go for higher prices at the weekend.
A 'Buy it Now' at an average price judged on completed listings will be attractive to the buyer looking for a specific item rather than a 'casual'. You might not get as much as you could, but you might well have got the sale you wanted at an acceptable price.
A series of good photographs shows a potential buyer that you actually 'care' about what you are selling.
One extra added to the basic item will also attract - eg an extra battery with a digital camera, or a good capacity card.
A recently used or tested item will attract rather than one 'put away in a cupboard and just found'.
An honest description helps - 'new' to me means unused not by the present owner but by any owner!
I am always more inclined to buy from an informed user and owner of a photographic item rather than someone selling their deceased Uncle's dog's cousin's item found in a loft during a house clearance abroad!

I have probably not added anything not already posted but what I have written might well confirm one or two things.

jesse

'A photograph shows a slice of life that is already history; just a piece of a jig-saw that you will never see completed!'

Lumix LF1 LX7 and some others not in use!.

My Gallery

Old 01-24-2011   #16
NickTrop

1. Set your auction for $0.99
2. No Reserve - ever
3. Set a reasonable shipping fee
4. End your auction on Sunday night, as the weekends are when traffic to eBay will be heaviest.

Bottom line - don't dissuade people from "watching" or "bidding" by setting reserves or starting bids. The psychology is most closely aligned to that of a stripper. They don't get guys going to strip joints throwing money at them if they aren't good at giving the illusion that "you got a chance"... which you don't. The illusion here is you're gonna get an M6 for $0.99. You have a better chance with the stripper. Let the market forces work... don't dissuade "auction fever" from taking place, same as with strippers... Have faith in the force, Luke... (the force here being the free markets...)

Last edited by NickTrop : 01-24-2011 at 10:42.

Old 01-24-2011   #17
kshapero
Starting to get it.

My best sales happen here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 01-24-2011   #18
squirrel$$$bandit

I usually do a search for every price the thing has sold for over the past two weeks, and then I subtract 5% from the lowest one, put it up under Buy It Now, and sell and ship within hours.

Old 01-24-2011   #19
Ronny

Best: Sunday evening, local time:
Examples from Tradera (ebay in Sweden):

http://www.tradera.com/Canon-FD-1-2-...1996_126095188

http://www.tradera.com/Nikon-Nikkor-...1999_126435245

Old 01-24-2011   #20
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTrop View Post
1. Set your auction for $0.99
2. No Reserve - ever
3. Set a reasonable shipping fee
4. End your auction on Sunday night, as the weekends are when traffic to eBay will be heaviest.

Bottom line - don't dissuade people from "watching" or "bidding" by setting reserves or starting bids. The psychology is most closely aligned to that of a stripper. They don't get guys going to strip joints throwing money at them if they aren't good at giving the illusion that "you got a chance"... which you don't. The illusion here is you're gonna get an M6 for $0.99. You have a better chance with the stripper. Let the market forces work... don't dissuade "auction fever" from taking place, same as with strippers... Have face in the force, Luke... (the force here being the free markets...)
Elegantly argued and phrased, Nick!

Cheers,

R.

Old 01-24-2011   #21
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus617 View Post
Woe to you who has an auction ending 11AM EST. Also, reserved or starting prices at the actual value of the item can scare potential bidders away. I'm more likely to bid up if I think I'm competing with a bidder as opposed to a reserve.
Huh? I bet many people access ebay while at work. Additionally, are you saying people don;t pay actual value on ebay? That you have to trick them into bidding more than they'd like? Sure, it can happen, but people are generally smarter than this.

Old 01-24-2011   #22
Jerry Thirsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Huh? I bet many people access ebay while at work.
As an office drone myself, in my experience there is a reluctance of people to be doing personal things online during the work day. Some companies outright forbid it, others just discourage it. But ultimately there's always the thought in the back of your head that if the management is looking for a reason to give you the old heave-ho, mis-use of company resources is one of the easiest charges they can make against you. Even if it's not the real reason they want you out, it's next to impossible to claim wrongful termination.

Old 01-24-2011   #23
chris00nj
Young Luddite

I generally either go two ways:

a) buy it now - Figure out what something sells for and put it around that price. Some buyers don't want to wait the 6 days until the auction is up.
b) have the starting bid be at a reasonably acceptable price, generally about 50% of what I hope to get.

I don't do reserves. As a buyer, if I see an auction with a reserve, I ignore it.

I have done a couple of $0.99 NR starting bids. It depends on the item. A item that is commonly looked for will hit market price everytime, such as a Leica M6. However, if something collectible to a smaller segment, the person willing to pay top dollar, may not be searching that week.

Flickr

Blog

Last edited by chris00nj : 01-24-2011 at 10:26.

Old 01-24-2011   #24
btgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Thirsty View Post
But ultimately there's always the thought in the back of your head that if the management is looking for a reason to give you the old heave-ho, mis-use of company resources is one of the easiest charges they can make against you.
I guess those under loupe of management can avoid unwanted consequences by using their internet enabled phones. Sure, they will not be able to play sissy "+1$ over previous bidder" but it's perfectly possible to throw in healthy winning bid at last minutes if it's not done before (cleared last doubts, etc.).

Old 01-24-2011   #25
Snapper_uk

Put it on with an extortionate Buy-It-Now price. Some idiot will eventually buy it.

Old 01-24-2011   #26
lilmsmaggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralowid View Post

Michael
That's exactly what has turned me off from buying anything on THAT auction site. That and PayPal. From now on, if I have to buy something with PayPal, it won't be with a PayPal account. Despite all of PayPal's advertising that their transactions are secure, I've had two incidents in 12 months, where both PayPal transactions were compromised.

So much for secure transactions.

IMHO PayPal has to ensure the same level of confidentiality in conduction an electronic transaction as anyone else and are bound by the same security requirements whether its a PayPal account or not.

There are now other options available to both sellers and buyers than PayPal:

http://money.cnn.com/2011/01/24/pf/e...dex.htm?hpt=T2

http://www.paywithisis.com

And this ... https://squareup.com

What's wrong with having an auction right here on RFF?

Old 01-24-2011   #27
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Thirsty View Post
As an office drone myself, in my experience there is a reluctance of people to be doing personal things online during the work day. Some companies outright forbid it, others just discourage it. But ultimately there's always the thought in the back of your head that if the management is looking for a reason to give you the old heave-ho, mis-use of company resources is one of the easiest charges they can make against you. Even if it's not the real reason they want you out, it's next to impossible to claim wrongful termination.
Oh really, I don't work for the Nazis, so I wouldn't know anything about that. I can understand that, but many people do actually look at ebay (and forums) while at work.

On another note, it is funny how picky people are about buying something.

Last edited by jsrockit : 01-24-2011 at 11:23.

Old 01-24-2011   #28
pagpow

Lot's of good advice on here.
I will only repeat the one about good photos and detailed description.
I would add that it seems to me that there are more buying competitors in the winter than in the summer -- when people are out longer -- so I would sell then if possible.

Old 01-25-2011   #29
Dralowid
Michael

Thanks for the advice

To summarise...

Auction end Sunday evening
No reserve
Good photos
Be honest

Don't expect more than you'd be prepared to pay yourself and if you want to know what that is, do your research.

Michael

Old 01-25-2011   #30
tlitody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper_uk View Post
Put it on with an extortionate Buy-It-Now price. Some idiot will eventually buy it.
Then there was the guy selling some photo paper. He spread all the sheets out on a table to photograph them for the ad. It was a very nice picture.

And then the Jessops sales person in Newbury once told me he had two students in who bought a box of 100 sheets of paper and paid half each. When they left they stopped outside the door, opened the box and counted out 50 sheets each in broad daylight and walked off in different directions.

Old 01-25-2011   #31
Snapper_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlitody View Post
Then there was the guy selling some photo paper. He spread all the sheets out on a table to photograph them for the ad. It was a very nice picture.

And then the Jessops sales person in Newbury once told me he had two students in who bought a box of 100 sheets of paper and paid half each. When they left they stopped outside the door, opened the box and counted out 50 sheets each in broad daylight and walked off in different directions.
I was looking for a OM 50/1.4 and watched a Buy It Now one out of interest. 80 was the price - probably 20 over what auctioned items go for. There was a blown out side-on photo, no photo of the glass, the description said 'fully functioning' but gave no description of the state of the lens elements or cosmetic condition. Then it said 'if you don't like this description, don't buy it'. Feedback on the seller was poor (comments of bad lenses), description of item was badly and rudely written.

It was on there for months. But then somebody last week ACTUALLY bought it.

Old 01-25-2011   #32
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

The problem you may face if you don't already have a fair amount of positive feedback is low ball bids. New sellers are not well trusted and you may end up having to sell well below market value as a result..

Also paypal may lock any money coming into your account till the buyer leaves positive feedback.

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Last edited by colyn : 01-25-2011 at 05:09.

Old 01-25-2011   #33
Tim Gray

The crummy thing about ebay nowadays is that sellers have very little protection.

Old 01-25-2011   #34
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmsmaggie View Post
Despite all of PayPal's advertising that their transactions are secure, I've had two incidents in 12 months, where both PayPal transactions were compromised.
I have used paypal almost from day one with no security breeches whatsoever.

Security breeches are usually the result of the paypal account holder falling for phishing attacks since paypal transactions are through a secure link just like banks etc use..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 01-25-2011   #35
sparrow6224

One thing -- obvious, I suppose, but it took me one round of sales to figure it out -- carefully clean your stuff, because the camera up close and adequate lighting will pick up way more dust and grit than you see holding the item in your hand. I cleaned the outer black portions of my cameras last time with a bit of WD-40 on a cloth and they really looked good, and bidding started earlier and faster as a result.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/commodiusvicus/

Old 01-25-2011   #36
squirrel$$$bandit

By the way, the site in question is called eBay. EBAY.

Here's a link:

eBay

eBay! It isn't a dirty word. eBay.

Old 01-25-2011   #37
sparrow6224

That said, I agree with Akiva -- my best and easiest and quickest sales, for desirable items, happen here. Especially when you list a bit under current going rates, you sell within two hours.
Vince P

Old 01-25-2011   #38
sparrow6224

Yeah -- where does the tradition come from that you don't mention the name eBay? Nice use of typography, mabel

Old 01-25-2011   #39
btgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow6224 View Post
One thing -- obvious, I suppose, but it took me one round of sales to figure it out -- carefully clean your stuff, because the camera up close and adequate lighting will pick up way more dust and grit than you see holding the item in your hand. I cleaned the outer black portions of my cameras last time with a bit of WD-40 on a cloth and they really looked good, and bidding started earlier and faster as a result.

WD40??? that's new to me.....You are absolutely right about cleaning, generally, but I'd prefer naturally dusty gear instead of contaminated with automotive products.

Years ago here in used car market sellers learned such trick: they spray washed engine and everything under hood, then went over water hoses with oily rag to make them looking "newer", sometimes even spray painted parts supposed to be black or silver. Women and sunday buyers just couldn't resist this "minty beauties" just to discover after buy they whave got a lemon.

Too perfect look of old things also means something.

Old 01-25-2011   #40
sanmich

very interesting advises all around.

May I ask for advises for a rare item?
One that will probably mostly interest collectors?
One whose value is unclear, and that you really want the relevant people not to miss...
Thanks

Gloire a qui n'ayant pas d'ideal sacro-saint se borne a ne pas trop emmerder ses voisins (Brassens)

My site