Old 03-05-2013   #41
SteveM(PA)
Poser

I like the dedicated MF-AF switch! Man, I would use that all the time on my RX100
Olympus XA, Fed 3B, Zorki 4K
"The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness."
-P. G. Wodehouse

Old 03-05-2013   #42
aizan

is nikon having trouble matching the color of top plates to body shells? first the nikon v1, now the nikon a.

Old 03-05-2013   #43
Phantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
is nikon having trouble matching the color of top plates to body shells? first the nikon v1, now the nikon a.

Magnesium-alloy vs aluminium-alloy.

Old 03-05-2013   #44
matthewm

Handsome little thing, isn't it? The price puts it WAYYY outside of anything I'd ever even begin to consider, but it is a step in the right direction for serious compact cameras. I've let go of my GRD3 and GRD1 in hopes for a larger sensor GRDV. But if it comes in anywhere close to this price point, I'll do without.

I want to see the camera manufacturers sell this kind of camera at 60% of what they're currently asking. Drop the price to $600 and they've got a winner. With the RX100, drop the price to $499 and they'd blow the doors off of Canon and Nikon. Who would buy an S110 or G15 when they could have an RX100 for the same money?

I'm glad to see this. Just not at the ridiculous prices they're asking. :\

Old 03-05-2013   #45
Paddy C
Unused film collector

RE the price. Back in ye olde days of film, hi-end compacts we're, what, $800-$1K (+)?

That's 15 (+) years ago prices! (IE think inflation adjust).

And you had to buy film!!! And processing!!!

Everyone always wants things for less. But I'm not sure how we got to a point where every camera should cost $400.

Old 03-05-2013   #46
jsrockit

I'm not sure that's what people are reacting to Paddy C, but in some sense you are right (compared to Nikon 28ti and Leica CM). I think it's more about the alternatives that are available and how this compares to them. In all fairness though, it is the first APS-C of its size that may fit in a pants pocket.

Old 03-05-2013   #47
nightfly

You can still use those cameras.

How many 15 year old digitals are you currently using?

I think there's a sense that as nice as whatever camera we are talking about it is, in a year or two there is going to be a better one and the price of this one will be half of that.

I bought my Yashica t4 for $150 and they are twice that now on Ebay. Ditto for all the other nice pro compacts of the 90s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy C View Post
RE the price. Back in ye olde days of film, hi-end compacts we're, what, $800-$1K (+)?

That's 15 (+) years ago prices! (IE think inflation adjust).

And you had to buy film!!! And processing!!!

Everyone always wants things for less. But I'm not sure how we got to a point where every camera should cost $400.

Old 03-05-2013   #48
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly View Post
You can still use those cameras.

How many 15 year old digitals are you currently using?
You have to give digital a chance to catch up. 35mm cameras were out for 70 years by the time those 90s compacts came out.

Quote:
I bought my Yashica t4 for $150 and they are twice that now on Ebay. Ditto for all the other nice pro compacts of the 90s.
Not all of them... the T4 yes, but not many of the others. The issue now is that the Leica CM and the Nikon Ti cameras have certain issues that are no longer repairable. In a sense, they are similar to digital cameras with regard to how companies treat them regarding servicing (lack of parts, etc.).

Old 03-05-2013   #49
willie_901

This camera appears to have a singe advantage - it is more convenient to carry than other APS-C camera.

The convenience has consequences. Namely the cost, no finder (but for $450 more you can get one, but then it is less pocketable), a f 2.8 lens and somewhat reduced battery life.

I have no interest myself, but I can see how some photographers will enjoy the sensor performance and convenience.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 03-05-2013   #50
DougFord
on the good foot

Well they've got it surrounded.

Old 03-05-2013   #51
ZeissFan

I don't find the design attractive at all. It's a box with a bump in the front. It's not unlike the other anonymous digital junk that the industry has been pumping out since the late 1990s. And not unlike the plastic P&S film cameras that flooded the market before that. One looked like the other to the point that none of them are interesting.

For $1,000, I want something visually interesting. I want more than a soap box.

And now, I'll get off of mine.

Old 03-05-2013   #52
benlees

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalintrigue View Post
Meh.

No EVF, no OVF, a stop slow and $1100?

X100S hands down.
No doubt. Unless the pictures from the camera are jaw dropping, this seems like an also-ran.

Size, AF and shutter ?
Old 03-05-2013   #53
MikeAUS

Size, AF and shutter ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomas View Post
It's a very nice little camera.

Phantomas, how small is it in reality? I love Sony RX100 size and only use 28mm, can this Nikon camera fit in a jeans pocket - this is very important to me. Also AF how fast - oh and the most important - is the shutter silent or near silent. Hope it doesn't have the horrendous M240 'clunk' shutter Thanks!

Old 03-05-2013   #54
aizan

i wouldn't worry about the high price. like the 1-series cameras, it will not be long before the price comes down to where it should have been. $800 sounds reasonable to me.

Old 03-05-2013   #55
willie_901

Thanks for showing a photo of the camera in your hand. What a great stealth camera. People in positions of authority and the general public will think it's just an old crappy P&S zoom. Instead of worrying about someone taking high quality photos, they will be thinking, "Why aren't using their smart phone like everybody else? Meanwhile Coolpix A owners will be making high quality images with much less chance of being hassled.

The Winogrand method of getting close to the subject(s) and act as though you are photographing something further away will work very well with this camera.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 03-05-2013   #56
btgc

I agree, those old hi-end film compacts aren't eternal - once they malfunction, they are out of game. Even if film GR's still are serviced, cost and parts availability are ticking.

As for this Coolpix - I personally would like to see body shaped with some kind of grip which adds a lot to ergonomics and also helps to accomodate battery of decent capacity. Just like modern cameras need

For a compact of this class I'd prefer sealed non-retractable lens. Not only easier to make (I guess...) but also less chance of pumping dust onto sensor. Don't get why people rave about pants pocket test? Carrying camera in a pocket is a way to shorten service time, second to taking it to the beach. I know, cameras are meant to use, but putting it into belt pouch/small bag/whatever suits you isn't too limiting....at least for me. And as a kid I were told not to carry big things in pockets as they loosen and wear looks oversized Small light camera - yes, but this already is too big and heavy for a pocket.

Old 03-05-2013   #57
Phantomas

Collpix A out in the streets video

Old 03-06-2013   #58
Archiver

Phantomas, you have this camera? How did you get it so quickly?

I'm very interested in this, perhaps because a large sensor GRD has been so long coming. The AF speed and accuracy doesn't look that promising, though. I hope that this will be improved by the time the camera hits the shelves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a-bbHX9O3M

The camera itself looks decently small and I don't mind its boxiness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3XbZ6rf3JE

And the operation and menu system does look rather good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWYx1qpPkNY

Old 03-06-2013   #59
maitani

the 28ti is my favourite P&S of all time, I don't mind the bulkyness of it either, maybe I'm a little biased, but the Coolpix A is kind of a digital version of it, wanted to get a merril first, but this could fit the bill, I'll wait until early adopter have and will buy well thought second hand. I will also hold and see when ricoh announces the GRD-V, exciting

Old 03-06-2013   #60
daveleo
what?

FYI, I am attempting a Coolpix A "market survey" here:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...hreadid=130210

Old 03-06-2013   #61
Phantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAUS View Post
Phantomas, how small is it in reality? I love Sony RX100 size and only use 28mm, can this Nikon camera fit in a jeans pocket - this is very important to me. Also AF how fast - oh and the most important - is the shutter silent or near silent. Hope it doesn't have the horrendous M240 'clunk' shutter Thanks!

Size - body is smaller than the classic 28Ti, thinner, but the lens protrusion puts them on par. You could fit it into jeans, unless you're wearing hipster tight ones, but while it's OK to occasionaly "hide" the camera I wouldn't carry it like that for two reasons: the lens "leaves" can be damaged inside tigter pocket and, more importantly, the on/off switch, while excelent in shooting operation to start the camera with a flip, is very likely to catch on something and extend the lens in your pocket, embarassing you in front of the ladies (due to small size of the lens). I do not have any reservations to carry it in the jacket pocket though.

AF - I don't have the measuring equipment and I'm not sure where do those that comment on AF speed and accuracy get the info, let's indeed give them benefit of the doubt, but I notice no issues with AF. It's fast enough and accurate for sure. In normal mode min focus is 50cm, in macro it's 10cm. Macro AF is very slow and should only be used when focusing at least than 50cm (forget it and suffer slow AF across the range). Otherwise the only other thing I've tried noticably faster is Nikon 1 (of course I haven't tried ALL cameras on the market). The only lag during startap is about 1 sec, which is what it takes for the lens to extend.

AF sound - it's an electronic shutter, no sound. You can enable or disable "artificial" shutter sound in the menu (no dog bark sound available though) and if you choose silent the only thing you'll hear is aperture blades, if you listen veeery closely.

Design - I like it. People that call it boxy, OK, but what about Contax T series? Nikon Ti series? Leice CM series? This camera follows similar shapes, just more modern (and smaller than all of those).

Old 03-06-2013   #62
Phantomas

Also, I think some will be interested in seeing the back of the camera (sorry, another cellphone pic):

The screen here is in info mode which you access by pressing that < i > button. Works same as on Nikon DSLRs. Most/all important functions are there to be changes easily without going into menues. By the way, typical straight-up user won't even need it that much because aperture, ISO and focus point controls are all direct access, as is presence of two programmable Fn buttons (although with limited options). You would go to this <info> screen typically to change shutter (continuous, single, timer, etc), focus mode (AF-C, AF-S), metering and maybe white balance. Of course there are more features there, but the above are typical ones, and even then I don't think many change focusing modes and WB often enough to complain about having to press a button twice

Old 03-06-2013   #63
jsrockit

Quote:
Design - I like it. People that call it boxy, OK, but what about Contax T series? Nikon Ti series? Leice CM series? This camera follows similar shapes, just more modern (and smaller than all of those).
I actually like boxy cameras and hate grips. Loved all the cameras you have mentioned.

Old 03-06-2013   #64
nightfly

To me pocket size is crucial. It's the difference between having the camera with me and leaving it home. I'm over bags. I want the smallest thing possible that gives a great image.

There are two sizes of cameras, pocketable and not pocketable.

Been shooting with my GR1 for the last year or two because besides being a great camera, I can put it in a pocket. Maybe not in my jeans if I'm wearing "hipster tight" jeans but in jacket pocket without it feeling like I'm carrying a brick.

Once I need a bag, everything changes and I might as well take a Mamiya 7.

Old 03-06-2013   #65
Paddy C
Unused film collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly View Post
To me pocket size is crucial. It's the difference between having the camera with me and leaving it home. I'm over bags. I want the smallest thing possible that gives a great image.

There are two sizes of cameras, pocketable and not pocketable.
The only camera I can fit in the pocket of my jeans or (comfortably in my shorts) is my iPhone. So come summer I find pocketable gets impossible.

So to me there are three sizes of camera:

Pocketable
Small (light/unobtrusive: RX100 - NEX - M43 - etc.)
Big (look at me I've got a real camera!)

Small needs to fit in a decent sized jacket pocket. But the other qualities are very important.

The more I look at this camera the more I like it and find it very tempting.

Old 03-06-2013   #66
aizan

wear the right pants and you don't have to worry so much about camera size. i recommend bill's khakis m1.

Old 03-06-2013   #67
nightfly

GR1 is as good as it gets for a thin bodied camera. Thinner than the digital version.

I'm happy with my clothes and my camera at the moment but know at some point I might need something digital so I see these as a step in the right direction.

Size Comparison
Old 03-06-2013   #68
daveleo
what?

Size Comparison

If you look at the small size of this camera, it's obvious that Nikon gave up the viewfinder and faster lens for pocketability . . .

You can also imagine how differently these would handle in practice.

Old 03-06-2013   #69
maitani

everybody stop talking about this camera, the gas station is opening up slowly... ;-)

the camera reminds me of a mix of my most favourite p&s, Contax T3, Minolta TC-1 and some 28Ti

as much as I want to love the merril I might feel limited by it's ISO 400 barrier.., but when this nikon can go up to 3200 without issues, it might be worth the money alone for this... also this would be a good base for a mirrorless camera, nikon should have gone this route, instead of the dinky J1/V1 stuff

Old 03-06-2013   #70
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalintrigue View Post
Lomos don't fit in hipster jeans do they?

Right, Hipsters don't hide their cameras ... they show them off proudly (and I'm not hating).

Old 03-06-2013   #71
upceci
-

Quote:
First of all someone should tell nikon that street photography is dead....... lol

Anyway, this ad is wrong on many levels. First of all it implies to leave all those DSLRs for coolpix-A, while declining DSLR price and demand is running Nikon out of business.

Then there is awkward clothing choice for the "model", I mean who on their right mind wears a leather jacket for street photography? What are you a street photographer or some kind of a wiseguy?

Then someone the same age group of the model in the video who goes about hipshoting with a small camera will attract a lot of negative attention. Unfortunately middleaged guys with small camera shooting discreetly is not a good idea.

finally, nikon waking up to the reality of the current market is a little too late to the party, they missed the chance with Nikon 1 and now this little compact while very nice is priced unrealistically.

Samsung or Panasonic buys Nikon - end of a legendary company...

Old 03-06-2013   #72
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by upceci View Post

Then there is awkward clothing choice for the "model", I mean who on their right mind wears a leather jacket for street photography? What are you a street photographer or some kind of a wiseguy?
How are street photographers (or photographers in general) supposed to dress?

Old 03-06-2013   #73
upceci
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Like an undercover cop working on the streets.

I mean, as simple as that. Being one fish among all other fish. Anything shiny that can catch an eye makes the diff between a good shot where everything is natural and an awkward one where the subject stares at photographer suspiciously.

Dressing up and appearance is the most neglected aspect of street photography.

Old 03-06-2013   #74
btgc

Quote:
Then there is awkward clothing choice for the "model", I mean who on their right mind wears a leather jacket for street photography?
Agreed...without Tyrolean trousers jacket alone isn't cutting it. Thus leather halfcase with camera in it is looking as a natural addition

Old 03-06-2013   #75
j j

Quote:
Like an undercover cop working on the streets.

I mean, as simple as that. Being one fish among all other fish. Anything shiny that can catch an eye makes the diff between a good shot where everything is natural and an awkward one where the subject stares at photographer suspiciously.

Dressing up and appearance is the most neglected aspect of street photography.
Like some sort of undercover fish-ninja in fancy dress? I think I'll just wear whatever and not worry about it.

Old 03-06-2013   #76
jsrockit

I'm going to wear a ninja suit...

Old 03-06-2013   #77
daveleo
what?

Quote:
How are street photographers . . . supposed to dress?

damn! you just beat me to that joke !

Old 03-06-2013   #78
Godfrey
somewhat colored

LOL!

Anyway, just did the side-by-side thing with the Coolpix A vs X2:

Sure have made it small ... the X2 feels small to me. Might be too small for my hands to be comfortable. It's controls look cleanly laid out, however: reasonably simple and understandable.

I'll presume that the top control dial on the Nikon changes what it operates depending on the mode selector. Nice thing on the X2 is that the dials stay the same, the operating mode is changed implicitly based on how they are set in combination. Which is easier for users to remember? I don't know, I just know which I prefer. ;-)

G

Old 03-06-2013   #79
nightfly

See Myerowitz, Joel.

Quote:
I'm going to wear a ninja suit...

Old 03-06-2013   #80
aizan

Quote:
do a google search for "goth ninja".