Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

View Poll Results: 28mm or 35mm?
28mm 147 43.75%
35mm 189 56.25%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-2013   #81
j j

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amblyopia

Unfortunately they don't have a page for smart arse.

Old 03-19-2013   #82
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by j j View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amblyopia

Unfortunately they don't have a page for smart arse.
Fair enough. Actually, a couple of very close and very dear friends suffer from this, so I am familiar with the rational definition. It was the implicit irrational definition that threw me.

I should have said, "what the hell is a 'lazy eye' in this context?"

Cheers,

R.

Old 03-19-2013   #83
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bonanno View Post
Of course you do... because you have a lazy eye.
No need for a personal attack. Please keep it civilized.

Old 03-19-2013   #84
Livesteamer

It depends. On a Nikon F it's 28 and 55 for me. On Leica M it would be an old 35 Summilux and a 50 Summilux even tho I have a 28 Summicron that is a wonderful lens. In Leica screwmount it's a 50 and an old Canon 28. Whatever works. Joe

Old 03-19-2013   #85
upceci
-

I never thought saying 35mm gets you more keepers will generate so many :rolls eye: smilies. Perhaps :rolling eyes: is a good exercise for the 'lazy eye'..... someone needs to tell fuji to stop producing the X100s... and i wonder why the Leica 35mm/1.4 costs much, it makes me :roll my eyes:.... And Alex Webb is not very good :rollseye:...

Old 03-19-2013   #86
j j

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Fair enough. Actually, a couple of very close and very dear friends suffer from this, so I am familiar with the rational definition. It was the implicit irrational definition that threw me.

I should have said, "what the hell is a 'lazy eye' in this context?"

Cheers,

R.
I think it was just meant as a slur (hence my facetious post; which was in no way aimed in your direction BTW).

If "lazy eye" has any real meaning in photography I am yet to encounter it. If it does mean something I have misjudged the author and I apologise. I tend to have a knee-jerk reaction when folks use medical terms as insults.

I should make some attempt to answer the OP. It matters little to me whether I use a 28, 35, 45 or 50; I enjoy taking pictures with any and all of them.

Old 03-19-2013   #87
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by upceci View Post
I never thought saying 35mm gets you more keepers will generate so many :rolls eye: smilies. Perhaps :rolling eyes: is a good exercise for the 'lazy eye'..... someone needs to tell fuji to stop producing the X100s... and i wonder why the Leica 35mm/1.4 costs much, it makes me :roll my eyes:.... And Alex Webb is not very good :rollseye:...
I think the point is that focal lengths are subjective and it totally depends on what type of photography one does. There is no one size fits all approach to photography.

Old 03-19-2013   #88
Jerevan
Recycled User

Well, I thought "lazy eye" in this context was more of a description of someone who does not care much for the edges of the frame when composing in the viewfinder (because you can always crop a 35 view to a 50 view, when you are printing).

As for 28 or 35 - I prefer the 28 viewpoint, near-far compositions. But I don't think I could use it on an RF, I need to see what I am doing. I am wrestling the 35 on an RF at the moment and I am not so sure about it... Maybe I am just a boring 50's guy.

Old 03-19-2013   #89
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by j j View Post
I think it was just meant as a slur (hence my facetious post; which was in no way aimed in your direction BTW).

If "lazy eye" has any real meaning in photography I am yet to encounter it. If it does mean something I have misjudged the author and I apologise. I tend to have a knee-jerk reaction when folks use medical terms as insults.

I should make some attempt to answer the OP. It matters little to me whether I use a 28, 35, 45 or 50; I enjoy taking pictures with any and all of them.
Highlight 1: Same here. No offence whatsoever taken at your fair and reasonable reply.

Highlight 2: Same here!

Cheers,

R.

Old 03-19-2013   #90
raid
Dad Photographer

Who can give me a solid definition on "lazy eye" and on "trained eye"?
How would you separate a lazy eye photographer with a 35mm lens from a lazy eye photographer with a 28mm or 50mm lens?
Is there any hope for a lazy eye photographer with a 35mm lens to ever "upgrade" and become a trained eye photographer with a 35mm lens or has it been already shown online that such a move is impossible?

These are such important questions on existence and life that RFF must address them here and now.

The other question is whether a photographer using a 100mm lens is a "super trained eye photographer" or whether any focal length above 50mm throws you back into the slums of lazy eye photographers?

I am so happy that I favor using 50mm lenses over 35mm lenses because now I finally know that I am an elite photographer with one trained eye ... I think.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 03-19-2013   #91
FrankS

Google is your friend:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=lazy+...w=1024&bih=672

photography makes me happy

Old 03-19-2013   #92
ferider

I'm confused: as I prefer 28mm and possibly suffer the lazy eye syndrome (LES, also called the YMC / YouMayCrop syndrome), should I use a 24 instead ?

Old 03-19-2013   #93
MikeL
Go Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferider View Post
I'm confused: as I prefer 28mm and possibly suffer the lazy eye syndrome...
Huh, when we are at the bar, I always assumed one eye was checking out the waitress. Good to know!

Old 03-19-2013   #94
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
Huh, when we are at the bar, I always assumed one eye was checking out the waitress. Good to know!
It's the other eye that counts, Mike!

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 03-19-2013   #95
upceci
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I think the point is that focal lengths are subjective and it totally depends on what type of photography one does. There is no one size fits all approach to photography.
Interestingly that way I see it focal length is the only objective aspect of photography.

The restrictions of a focal length and learning to work in that requires the same approach from everyone.

Old 03-19-2013   #96
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by upceci View Post
Interestingly that way I see it focal length is the only objective aspect of photography.

The restrictions of a focal length and learning to work in that requires the same approach from everyone.
Are you saying that everyone will use a 50mm lens the same exact way? How can that even be possible?

Old 03-19-2013   #97
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Are you saying that everyone will use a 50mm lens the same exact way? How can that even be possible?
Superb counterargument!

Cheers,

R.

Old 03-20-2013   #98
oftheherd

Poor, poor Raid,

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Who can give me a solid definition on "lazy eye" and on "trained eye"?

According to the latest medical studies, the lazy eye loafs along the confines of the viewfinder, hoping to nudge parts of the scene into other areas, but without any real concept of what composition or color correction is. The trained eye however, darts from object to object, slicing across artificial boundries without mercy, only registering things that stand out in its own mind's eye. The trained eye suffers no lazy eye interference, but strives to outdo the other eye at the front of the camera.

How would you separate a lazy eye photographer with a 35mm lens from a lazy eye photographer with a 28mm or 50mm lens?

Oh my, didn't your teachers cover this in grade and middle school? Ask your daughters as I am sure they have already passed all tests on this. They will tell you that actually you don't separate them, you combine them for one all seeing eye. I thought you were a mathematician and understood such things. You have no idea how disappointed I am.

Is there any hope for a lazy eye photographer with a 35mm lens to ever "upgrade" and become a trained eye photographer with a 35mm lens or has it been already shown online that such a move is impossible?

Since per above, they are to be combined rather than a silly 'upgrade,' the question is meaningless. I'm surprised at you and others who think like you, and try to confuse the truely religiously viewfinder gifted. Have you no shame sir?!

These are such important questions on existence and life that RFF must address them here and now.

That at least is true!!!!

The other question is whether a photographer using a 100mm lens is a "super trained eye photographer" or whether any focal length above 50mm throws you back into the slums of lazy eye photographers?

There have been doctors who claimed to have conducted studies to prove what you have just said. However, beware! as most conventional medical wisdom believes them charlatans, and holds to the ancient empirical belief that the phenominum only occurs at 135mm and (to infinity and) beyond.

I am so happy that I favor using 50mm lenses over 35mm lenses because now I finally know that I am an elite photographer with one trained eye ... I think.

Ah, only those who have undergone rigorous testing with 50mm, and conquered themselves first, are comfortable with the 50mm. All others struggle with 35mm and 85mm lenses. After all, you are to be congratulated sir!

Old 03-20-2013   #99
benlees

Only on RFF could a thread like this end up like this! To all those involved: get a zoom!

Old 03-21-2013   #100
user237428934
User deletion pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlees View Post
Only on RFF could a thread like this end up like this! To all those involved: get a zoom!
Zoom is the right choice for the trained eye with the lazy foot. But only if the zoom contains 35mm.

Old 03-21-2013   #101
skahde
V for Victory!

It took me very long to realize that 35mm for me is neither fish nor fowl. To short to pick details or people, to narrow to work in tight environments, not wide enough to work with a little dramatic perspective. With 28/50mm I can do all of this and more.

Old 04-05-2013   #102
Dacnard
Life witness

35mm for me as it feels wide enough in my 0.85 camera. To use an external viewfinder I would like to go wider than 28, maybe a 21.

Old 04-06-2013   #103
gho

I voted 28 mm because I also like 50. It is a nicely separated combo between stepped back and close in.

Old 04-06-2013   #104
lxmike
Barnack fan

My first wide lens back in 1983 was a Sigma, (PK fit), 28mm 2.8 miniwide, and thus I tended, from then on, to always lean towards 28mm for my SLR, however for compact I relied on a XA with 35mm lens, I still like the angle given from a 28mm, I think though I am probably wrong its about 74 degrees of view

Digital in use: Fuji X Pro 1, XE 1, X100

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, Summaron 35mm 3.5, Canon 50mm 1.5 LTM, Vario-Elmar 35-70mm 3.5, Fuji 18mm 2, Fuji 35/1.4

Soon to arrive: Leica R Motor Drive and Grip.

Old 04-07-2013   #105
nikkor-watching

Surprised to see so many votes for the 35mm. A digital forum would go for the 28mm, no question. 35mm is all very well for an integrated rangefinder lens, but this fella has an interchangeable 50mm as well... I'd go for a 24mm as well. In fact, I did.

Old 04-07-2013   #106
Mcary

When I re bought the M8 I decided to go with/try 28mm rather then going with a 35mm which is what I what used last time around as well as what I'd used with the M6. I'm still getting use to the difference so can't really say whither I'll stick with it or go back to the 35mm.

Old 04-07-2013   #107
Ron (Netherlands)

Rather like the combo 25mm 35mm and 50mm

Leica: IIa synch conversion, IIIb, M6 TTL Millenium, 2x Rolleicord Vb, 2x Rolleiflex 3.5F white face, Rolleiflex 2.8A, 5x ICA Tropica

My Flickr

Old 04-10-2013   #108
kingqueenknave

I voted 35mm, but really it's both. I primarily use 35mm for color and 28mm for B&W.

Old 04-10-2013   #109
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human

28mm for me. not that there's anything wrong with a 35mm lens, though.

I must respectfully disagree with the claim that a 28 is not a street photography lens. My 28 works just fine for street photography.
Winogrand seemed to think the 28 worked for street shooting, too.

Old 04-11-2013   #110
Dirk
Privatier

I use the 28/50 combo for about 90% of my photography, which is mostly street. Somehow, 35 doesn't do it for me on SLRs. Rangefinders is another issue. And as many others have already pointed out, 35/50 is too close. The 28 gives me a wideangle effect that's good for street photography, but not wide enough to look wide-anglish.

Old 04-11-2013   #111
Monochrom

Hi, canīt say for sure....

But i use the 28 a lot during my city walks, also y carry the 50mm lens...

When traveling light out of the city itīs better a 35mm lens...

that makes me think why VC doesnīt have a tri-elmar or so...it would be very nice to combine 28-35-50 but withut the price tag of the tri elmar...

Old 04-11-2013   #112
huddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monochrom View Post
Hi, canīt say for sure....

But i use the 28 a lot during my city walks, also y carry the 50mm lens...

When traveling light out of the city itīs better a 35mm lens...

that makes me think why VC doesnīt have a tri-elmar or so...it would be very nice to combine 28-35-50 but withut the price tag of the tri elmar...
A voigtlander version of the tri-elmar would be a very intriguing lens.

Old 04-11-2013   #113
thirtyfivefifty
Noctilust survivor

I'm a 35/50 guy, 35 is definitely the one I pick up if I want to carry only one lens. I prefer 28mm for landscape and that's pretty much it. 50 is my artistic, editorial lens.

Old 04-11-2013   #114
andrewteee

I prefer 28 and 50. I also prefer fixed lens compact cameras. For 28mm there is the Ricoh GRD or GXR/A12, the Nikon A and the Sigma DP1M. I have the two Ricohs and the Nikon. But as far as 50mm goes, the only fixed lens camera is the GXR A12. There are no other options. For such a classic focal length I have to wonder why there are not any other fixed lens 50mm cameras.

Nonetheless, I could probably live with just a 28mm camera.

Old 04-12-2013   #115
Landshark

20, 24, 28 & 50 & the 50 is my least used. Get the feeling I tend to see wide?
IMO the 35 is not a dramatic enough difference in a print. If you want environmental portraits It will allow more background. Think something like shoe maker, flea market, small shop etc.
Until you get pretty close(<4-5ft) there's not much distortion either.

Old 05-10-2013   #116
music_healing

I myself really enjoy 28 - 50 - 75 mm

some my fave shots are all in those 3 FL esp 28 mm

I really really try to learn in 35
but so far its not really working yet.. dunno why
maybe because I start from Ricoh GR

Sincerely
William

Old 05-11-2013   #117
sojournerphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by redisburning View Post
I think 35mm is my ideal wide angle. Any wider without going into UWA and I don't like it. I realize 50 and 35 are close, but since I like this focal range the best the additional fine grain that I can distinguish helps.

Unfortunately I have not found an SLR 35mm I really like. The stinkin distagon is HUGE.

I'm about to sell my 2/35 distagon as I don't have an slr now, but it never felt that big on a 1Ds3 and it's a really great lens.

Old 05-11-2013   #118
sojournerphoto

To the OP

28/50 is nice, though I tend to go out with just a 50 or just a 35...

Old 05-11-2013   #119
nemo2

28 is great on APS-C...

Old 05-11-2013   #120
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by skahde View Post
It took me very long to realize that 35mm for me is neither fish nor fowl. To short to pick details or people, to narrow to work in tight environments, not wide enough to work with a little dramatic perspective. With 28/50mm I can do all of this and more.
Whereas I realized quite quickly that a 28mm is neither fish nor fowl: neither a 'wide standard' like a 35mm, nor a true wide angle like a 21mm.

Cheers,

R.