Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: What's your age group and what are you predominantly using?
<20, predominantly film 12 1.86%
<20, predominantly digital 3 0.46%
20-29, predominantly film 89 13.78%
20-29, predominantly digital 23 3.56%
30-39, predominantly film 103 15.94%
30-39, predominantly digital 33 5.11%
40-49, predominantly film 87 13.47%
40-49, predominantly digital 44 6.81%
50-59, predominantly film 73 11.30%
50-59, predominantly digital 49 7.59%
>60, predominantly film 59 9.13%
>60, predominantly digital 71 10.99%
Voters: 646. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2013   #121
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

66 and all digital.

Old 04-02-2013   #122
Rodchenko
Olympian

Although I have more film cameras than digital, and certainly enjoy using them more, I think I have to confess that the practical, everyday, photography gets done on pixels.

Old 04-02-2013   #123
raid
Dad Photographer

I go for a period mostly with film, and then for a period mostly with digital. I voted "predominantly digital" only because it just so happened that I have been using digital cameras for the past 6 weeks.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 04-02-2013   #124
Alex Krasotkin

I know, when I will get older, I will stick to one camera + one lens and it is going to be film.

Leica M9 silver, Noctilux 50/1.0, Summilux 50/1.4 pre-asph silver, Konica Hexar AF, Rolleiflex 2.8 GX Expression

Old 04-06-2013   #125
lxmike
Barnack fan

Some very interesting results in the poll so far, I'm in the later end of the 40-49 group, I tend to mainly shoot film but use digital for ebay sales pics. Like many of my age I was brought up on film

Digital in use: Fuji X Pro 1, XE 1, X100

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, Summaron 35mm 3.5, Canon 50mm 1.5 LTM, Vario-Elmar 35-70mm 3.5, Fuji 18mm 2, Fuji 35/1.4

Soon to arrive: Leica R Motor Drive and Grip.

Old 04-07-2013   #126
Latecomer
Making up for lost time

I am 73 and use digital (M9, OMD) almost all of the time. I would be lucky to shoot one film in two months. As someone suggested above i suspect the poll is skewed by digital users not bothering with it.

Old 04-07-2013   #127
mfunnell
Shaken, so blurred

I'm in the 50-59 group and I voted "predominantly digital". In many ways that's not by choice: I haven't lived in my own place (where my "film stuff" is) for some time, because I can't get work where I (would prefer to) live. Instead I've been working elsewhere - where I can, in fact, get work. (Thank you, Great F-ing Global Financial Crisis!). If it were up to me, though, I'd aim for 50:50 and probably end up more film than digital. But it isn't up to me...

...Mike

My flickr photostream has day-to-day stuff and I've given up most everywhere else through lack of time or perhaps interest.

Old 04-07-2013   #128
ramosa
B&W

Certainly not a representative sample here. While the film industry isn't struggling, film certainly isn't being used more than digital, not even (I would guess) among RFF members.

Old 04-07-2013   #129
huddy

I am 25 and shoot predominantly film. I have a nice digital kit of Nikons, but when I am shooting for fun, I always pull out my M6 or P67.

Old 04-26-2013   #130
Finglas

Started using film in 1982 with a RF camera, then in 1983 went to Nikon FE and had that for next 28 years.... until 2 years ago changed it for a Nikon FM3a - also only ever use 100 asa film sometimes 160 asa.

As long as I can get film processed and printed in Dublin - then I will continue only to do that. Not interested in digital - not because of the cameras or the capture but because of sitting in front of the computer and tweaking things and learning to use software etc is alien to me.

I have investigated using a film/slide scanner - but haven't made the plunge yet. I don't mind if I am the last film and manual focus luddite in Dublin, I just stick with what I know best and happy with.

Old 04-26-2013   #131
ibcrewin
Ah looky looky

36, film.

I sometimes use the digital with my slr and sometimes the phone, but mostly it's film.

Bessa-R w/ J8 lens, Lubitel 2, Rebel XT, Elan 7e, Konica C35, Olympus Mju

Old 05-02-2013   #132
sanmich

That's a very interesting poll.
It seems that the "less young" people tend to use more digital (the only age fork where the two are about equal is the last one)
I don't know what is the reason, but I can guess:
older, wiser people, know by now that it's not about the camera but all about the picture? (wish I was there )?
Or maybe physiological reasons? AF to compensate for a bad vision? IS for less stable hands?, camera weight?

Gloire a qui n'ayant pas d'ideal sacro-saint se borne a ne pas trop emmerder ses voisins (Brassens)

My site

Old 05-02-2013   #133
thegman

If I had to guess, I'd say people in their later 30s, 40s, and 50s are fairly likely to have dependent kids, and therefore a severe lack of time. Digital might suit them better. Also I imagine these people may want lots of photographs of their kids, and might feel a digital camera is better for this.

Maybe also, older people may have grown up with film, and find digital a refreshing change. On the other hand, younger people may have grown up with computers don't find them new or exciting any more.

Old 05-07-2013   #134
kendo1

I'm 55 and shoot digital, but I pretty much only use manual legacy lenses.
I'm looking for a rangefinder to shoot film again.

Old 05-07-2013   #135
mszargar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko85 View Post
If this poll represents a typical cross section of members then it's results are surprising to me. In every single age group film use is higher than digital use.
There are two rather simple explanations to this:

1) People discover this forum when they start shooting film. This has, indeed, been my case. I found out about RFF because I bought a Zorki to play with, and I wanted to see how I can shim the lens. Needless to say, I found Brian's posts, etc... Now I have a Leica, and feel a part of the RFF cult, so, I am still here. I guess there are other internet resources that cater to more mainstream tastes, but I don't feel I belong there.

2) The second explanation may have to do with what we call "Social Desirability Bias". It turns out we may not answer a question honestly, just in order to look good in front of peers. Those among us who are in social sciences should be well-introduced to the subject. It happens in all surveys and even in elections, and it is pretty difficult to get rid of. If the vote is anonymous, the observed bias is normally of smaller magnitude, but it may still continue to exist because we may like our community to look good in the eyes of the community members (probably not even consciously).

Furthermore, people have a memory bias towards what makes them feel good, or what is inline with their norms and values. If we consider shooting film as a prestigious norm or much-revered value in this forum (doesn't even need a proof!), one can argue that having internalized this norm, most forummates have a memory bias towards remembering themselves shooting film, or only considering their film shooting as their serious work.

Anyway, I am in the 30-39 category and I responded mostly film, because I have just sold my digicam. For now I am into practicing with this "new" old medium that is film.

Cheers!

Old 05-07-2013   #136
michaelwj
----------------

33, film

I'm going to draw a line between, quick grabs of the kids for sharing online/email/messaging and photography for the purpose of enjoyment and printing

So, the phone for the first option, film for photography.
Or to put it another way;
My main camera is film which sees a lot of use, but I take a lots of shots with my phone...

Old 05-08-2013   #137
kaiwasoyokaze
Half Frame Goodness

film, cause it takes me 20 minutes to get a roll developed at my developers. and i can find film everywhere.

http://soyokazekaiwa.tumblr.com/
Monologue in Busan

Old 05-08-2013   #138
kbg32
neo-romanticist

"Digital technology, you see, is not the villain here. It simply offers another dimension. I'm not sure if it's a farther remove from reality than analogue. I think if we can speak of reality, if reality and representation can be spoken of in the same sentence, if reality even exists any more, digital is simply another way of encoding that reality."

- Lewis Baltz ,"Subjects and objects of the new technological culture: Interview" in: MediaMente. 1998

http://keithgoldstein.me/
Keith痴 Gallery

Old 05-08-2013   #139
rinzlerb

I'm 50 and I shoot more digital in terms of number, but more film for the stuff I really care about. I grew up with film of course, but never liked photography that much until digital made it a lot faster and easier, but then I got lured back to film as I advanced. Perhaps not a normal path for people my age? I dunno....

Old 05-15-2013   #140
starless

I am over 30 and I've never used digital.

Old 05-15-2013   #141
AlwaysOnAuto

I have both types of cameras. Used to shoot film for photos back in the day but found it expensive, so put the camera away.
Got a digital and my photo experience exploded. I could take pictures and see them for next to nothing once the initial investment in the computer and camera were made.
I only recently looked at getting back into film. Having inherited a couple of Leica's and being newly 'surplussed' by my former employer, I found I had time to explore film again. Alas, I'm finding things haven't changed much as it is still expensive, plus the eyes are getting older so the auto focus is much appreciated too.
I fear I may have jumped the gun on getting my M3 CLA'd too soon.

Old 05-15-2013   #142
raid
Dad Photographer

It looks as if age plays a small role here at RFF when it comes to favoring digital over film. Overall, more people are using digital cameras as compared to five years ago.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 05-15-2013   #143
VitoCipriani

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinzlerb View Post
I'm 50 and I shoot more digital in terms of number, but more film for the stuff I really care about.
I'm 34, and I'd agree entirely with this. I tend to carry a digital and a film camera (usually my Bessa R and, lately, the Fuji X-E1), and although I use both cameras equally I probably shoot more on my digital camera (I often use it for snapshots of the family, etc) whereas I'm a little bit more selective what I shoot with my film camera(s).

Old 05-15-2013   #144
GaryLH

I just hit 60.. For me more digital then film. Currently more like over 90% digital and the rest film. Prior years it was closer to 60/40 split.

When I shoot film it is mainly 120 b&w, some 35 and LF. Even at that, I don't go thru an analog process for final print anymore.. Scanning and digital print process the rest of the way.

I will probably keep on shooting some level w/ film cameras until film is unavailable.
Gary

Old 05-15-2013   #145
Chrisrw
photomonkey

Quantity of images=digital
Quantity and quality of time and passion involved =film