Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

UPS (united parcel service) knows everything about you !
Old 07-03-2014   #1
daveleo
what?

UPS (united parcel service) knows everything about you !

I have never had an account at UPS (they deliver packages in the USA).
This morning I tried to track an incoming package, and they asked me to open an account (like signing up on this forum).

I typed in my first and last names, my email address and my street address.

A window pops up and asks me to verify that I am me, by answering six questions..... ????? ....??? Okay, what would like to know ?

These are all multiple choice questions (4 choices - a,b,c,d ).

PLEASE note: these are not security questions that they want me to select to ask me as I log in in the future (for identity protection). These are questions THEY made up from information they got from ??? to verify that the guy at the keyboard here is really me.

The first question was "What month was your son Michael born?" .... *** - they know I have a son Michael???. (They also listed his month of birth.)

Next question: "What town did (do) you live with Deborah?" ..... Deb is my wife !!! (Again, they listed the correct town in the choices.)

Next question: "Which one of these was one of your previous phone numbers?" ..... one of the choices was a number that I disconnected when I retired, 7 years ago.

Here is the question that almost killed me .... "Which one of the following set of numbers is a street address where you lived with Janice" .... Janice and I were divorced 30 years ago !!!

I gotta stop here, my f#$%ing blood pressure is popping my head open.

Old 07-03-2014   #2
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleo View Post
I have never had an account at UPS (they deliver packages in the USA).
This morning I tried to track an incoming package, and they asked me to open an account (like signing up on this forum).

I typed in my first and last names, my email address and my street address.

A window pops up and asks me to verify that I am me, by answering six questions..... ????? ....??? Okay, what would like to know ?

These are all multiple choice questions (4 choices - a,b,c,d ).

PLEASE note: these are not security questions that they want me to select to ask me as I log in in the future (for identity protection). These are questions THEY made up from information they got from ??? to verify that the guy at the keyboard here is really me.

The first question was "What month was your son Michael born?" .... *** - they know I have a son Michael???. (They also listed his month of birth.)

Next question: "What town did (do) you live with Deborah?" ..... Deb is my wife !!! (Again, they listed the correct town in the choices.)

Next question: "Which one of these was one of your previous phone numbers?" ..... one of the choices was a number that I disconnected when I retired, 7 years ago.

Here is the question that almost killed me .... "Which one of the following set of numbers is a street address where you lived with Janice" .... Janice and I were divorced 30 years ago !!!

I gotta stop here, my f#$%ing blood pressure is popping my head open.
Well, yes. That's frightening.

Check into Data Protection laws, and see if anyone will help you sue the bar stewards.

Cheers,

R.

Old 07-03-2014   #3
NY_Dan

Happened to me too!

They asked me how many times I had dirty thoughts about Bea Arthur? How did they know? I have very eclectic tastes.

They even knew I like Nikon better than Cannon, and that most of my negatives with a sky have development streaks.

Seriously my guess is as a package delivery company UPS has access to big bro's mainframe.

Old 07-03-2014   #4
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Nothing unusual. My local pizza delivery folks knew what the last ten pizzas I ordered were the other day ... And I hadn't ordered a pizza in 14 years!

G

Old 07-03-2014   #5
Pioneer

They've been to my house so many times I know the delivery guy by his first name, and his substitute who fills in when he is on vacation.

They know so much about me they will drop off my daughter's packages when she isn't home, and she lives halfway across town. They quit asking me questions.

Newsflash folks - there are people out there who know so much about you that it would likely scare you to death. People like Amazon, UPS and so on. It is in their business interests to know. Your government knows WAYYY more. I think that the only way to avoid it anymore is to completely drop off the grid. And if you do that you are too different and everyone starts looking at you like Ted Kaczynski, including your friendly neighborhood law enforcement.

I for one am not that interested in living that way so I have learned how to live with the bomb. (Ooops, I may have dated myself again.)

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 07-03-2014   #6
majid
Fazal Majid

They must have a contract with a security verification service powered by one of the big data brokers:
http://qz.com/213900/the-nine-compan...e-or-facebook/
The big 3 credit bureaus also offer similar services to financial institutions.

Old 07-05-2014   #7
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

I wonder if UPS is really owned by Google....hmmm.

and Google is really owned by ...

just kidding, but this Big Brother Big Data stuff is scary.

Stephen

Old 07-05-2014   #8
Chris101
summicronia

All this is just par for the course. Anyone can know everything about you. It's what life is like these days. You have no privacy.

I would suggest that you watch the episode of Inside Man called Privacy, originally broadcast on CNN on May 4, 2014. Very eye-opening.

Old 07-05-2014   #9
YYV_146

Why are you surprised? Virtually every internet company knows virtually everything about you, unless you go to painstaking lengths to protect your own data and records.

As a reference, I always use secure emails, do not track options, turn off cookies for most websites, and employ a variety of other measures to ensure that Facebook and Google do not know what my favorite brand of cereal is. It's a tedious life, but probably the only way of hiding under the radar of these companies...

Sony A7rII Kolari mod

Noctilux ASPH, 35lux FLE, 50 APO ASPH, 75 APO cron, 21lux, Sony/Minolta 135mm STF

500px

Old 07-05-2014   #10
Jerry Thirsty

I've never had UPS ask me to create an account to track a package. Just tried it now. Maybe there was an (non-obvious, of course) option to skip the login?

Old 07-05-2014   #11
raid
Dad Photographer

We cannot anymore expect privacy of any sort.
It is a burden indeed.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 07-05-2014   #12
daveleo
what?

Thanks (to Stephen ??) for moving this to get more attention.

My son calls this "Big Data". I kind of knew it was going on somewhat but .... ME !!!? MY DATA ??

When my ex-wife's name and our old address (30+ years ago - before the internet !!) showed up in their questions, I d#mn near died.

I also have tracked many UPS, FEDEX and USPS packages and never was asked to "open an account". I used a tracking link that a famous (and wonderful) NYC camera store e-mailed to me. It was probably (in retrospect) a different doorway into UPS.

I am about to put a piece of tape over my netbook camera just in case you guys are watching me, without my knowledge. (Or maybe I should just shave and comb my hair?)

Old 07-05-2014   #13
Steve M.

Wow. No like! There ARE ways to make yourself invisible on the web though. Using a proxy browser like TOR is a good way to go, which "works by passing your traffic through several unrelated computers all over the Internet, using cryptography to keep the origin, destination, and intermediary steps secret from each computer it passes through".

When google got outed for illegally turning all manner of sensitive data over to the snoops, I immediately started using other search engines, and got a fastmail email account, which has such a small user base it is pretty much under the radar. Of course, it's not in my real name, the internet provider at our home is in the 'ol lady's name (we're not legally married, so there's nothing in public records), and the same w/ the phone and other utilities. Still, I have online banking, ebay, etc, so there's stuff out there, but at least I generally buy and sell on ebay w/ the 'ol lady's account. I haven't tried to totally be invisible, but it is doable if I wished to be. Just doing what I have and using TOR for most things cleans it up a lot. Anything that is dreamed up as far as security snooping can certainly be undone. It's just a matter of whether you want (or need) to go to the trouble. Again, the most effective things you can do are the simplest: use a proxy server, get an email address from a small company that at least says they'll keep your info private, keep your cookies cleared, don't use stuff like bittorrent, don't join any of those reward cards that stores push on you, pay w/ cash if at all possible, refuse to give your social security number to places that ask for it, etc. Not hard stuff.

Old 07-05-2014   #14
Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
It is a burden indeed.
... how so? I don't recall voting for that

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Old 07-05-2014   #15
hepcat
Former PH, USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYV_146 View Post
Why are you surprised? Virtually every internet company knows virtually everything about you, unless you go to painstaking lengths to protect your own data and records.

As a reference, I always use secure emails, do not track options, turn off cookies for most websites, and employ a variety of other measures to ensure that Facebook and Google do not know what my favorite brand of cereal is. It's a tedious life, but probably the only way of hiding under the radar of these companies...
The internet is only a small part of this. Retailers can track your purchasing habits, sure... but if you've ever had a car loan, a house mortgage or applied for a credit card, either singly or jointly with your spouse or ex-spouse, owned real property, bought an insurance policy that lists your heirs, lived in a country with birth, death, marriage, and divorce records, that data lives out there in your credit reports... co-creditors, children, spouses, addresses, phone numbers, dates of birth...

disc drive storage never forgets, and collates data at nearly the speed of light. There are a dizzying array of databases that are becoming more and more interactive. THAT is what "BIG DATA" is.

Find me on the web...

Old 07-05-2014   #16
hendriphile

Quote:
It is a burden indeed.
And if you have a Facebook account... Forget about it!

Old 07-05-2014   #17
raid
Dad Photographer

This is understood. Your life becomes open to all to see. It is very difficult to delete your Facebook account. I have read about some approaches on how do go about it, but they fail.

Old 07-05-2014   #18
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

There is no such thing as privacy.. You get a SSN the moment you are born and they start collecting data on you..

Everything about you is in a data base from the moment you were born to now...

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 07-05-2014   #19
raid
Dad Photographer

Only Martians are safe. They do not have a SSN..... yet.

Old 07-05-2014   #20
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Quote:
Only Martians are safe. They do not have a SSN..... yet.
They will get one if they stay here long enough..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 07-05-2014   #21
YYV_146

Quote:
Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
The internet is only a small part of this. Retailers can track your purchasing habits, sure... but if you've ever had a car loan, a house mortgage or applied for a credit card, either singly or jointly with your spouse or ex-spouse, owned real property, bought an insurance policy that lists your heirs, lived in a country with birth, death, marriage, and divorce records, that data lives out there in your credit reports... co-creditors, children, spouses, addresses, phone numbers, dates of birth...

disc drive storage never forgets, and collates data at nearly the speed of light. There are a dizzying array of databases that are becoming more and more interactive. THAT is what "BIG DATA" is.
Fortunately, I don't have a car (in the U.S) or my own house because I move way too much, and still hasn't gotten married yet...

But I agree, the search sphere is not exclusive to online records. But I will say that the online bits are the most frightening ones, and while we may work hard to build up credit, our activities online are usually much less monitored by ourselves - which is ultimately more dangerous.

Sony A7rII Kolari mod

Noctilux ASPH, 35lux FLE, 50 APO ASPH, 75 APO cron, 21lux, Sony/Minolta 135mm STF

500px

Old 07-05-2014   #22
daveleo
what?

FWIW, as I said, I got an e-mail from a photo retailer (that we all know and love) about the UPS link to track my package. I clicked that link in the email and it sent me to the UPS page below. I clicked the CONTINUE button and the rest is history ...

Realize that whether or not you click that button is irrelevant..,.. They already have the data !!!.

Old 07-05-2014   #23
Ranchu
-

"We kill people based on metadata." - Michael Hayden

Old 07-05-2014   #24
Ranchu
-

"The NSA treats all content intercepted incidentally from third parties as permissible to retain, store, search and distribute to its government customers. Raj De, the agency’s general counsel, has testified that the NSA does not generally attempt to remove irrelevant personal content, because it is difficult for one analyst to know what might become relevant to another."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...322_story.html

Old 07-05-2014   #25
willie_901

This information was available by manually searching public records long before Big a Data.

The difference is none of it could be quickly accessed or shared. When someone really wanted to know everything they could about so one, they physically traveled to courthouses, etc and manually recorded the data.

The obvious and significant difference is public records are digitized and instantly shared by anyone who pays a very small fee.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 07-05-2014   #26
semilog
curmudgeonly optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post
Wow. No like! There ARE ways to make yourself invisible on the web though. Using a proxy browser like TOR is a good way to go, which "works by passing your traffic through several unrelated computers all over the Internet, using cryptography to keep the origin, destination, and intermediary steps secret from each computer it passes through".
Which then gets you flagged for extra attention by the NSA. Good times.

And then, of course, there's this.

semilog.smugmug.com | flickr.com/photos/semilog/

Old 07-06-2014   #27
Brian Atherton

As an aside to the main issue of privacy in this thread, does anyone know for certain whether UPS has a ban on their employees wearing beards?

A couple of years ago a friend told me of this ‘fact’ and since, I’ve noticed none of the UPS delivery drivers here in the UK I’ve seen when out and about sport facial hair.

Is this just a scurrilous or an apocryphal story?

"Maintenant, mon ami !"
http://www.asingulareye.wordpress.com

Old 07-06-2014   #28
lynnb

Dave, it is usually a shock to discover what Big Data actually means… to you. Welcome to the real world.

Of course, this is all done to ensure your safety. I hope you feel safer now
Flickr

Old 07-06-2014   #29
daveleo
what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
Dave, it is usually a shock to discover what Big Data actually means… to you. Welcome to the real world.

Of course, this is all done to ensure your safety. I hope you feel safer now

Indeed I do, Lynn .... slept like a baby last night knowing that Big Data is watching over me

If I forget anything about my past, I can just call UPS and ask them !!

Old 07-06-2014   #30
kshapero
Starting to get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Thirsty View Post
I've never had UPS ask me to create an account to track a package. Just tried it now. Maybe there was an (non-obvious, of course) option to skip the login?
Never had this problem. Never been asked to sign up. That being said, I am sure they can find out anything about me. I once looked myself up on one of these snoop web sites. Sh*t, it had info on my dad from 1956!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 07-06-2014   #31
Bill Clark

UPS doesn't bother me. I like receiving the info.

What I worry about is how Michael Rennie from, "The Day The Earth Stood Still," is looking at my stuff! I'm waiting to wake up one day and Gort is at my front door.

Old 07-07-2014   #32
Carterofmars

Big Data Is Here.

Don't worry everyone. Big Data will be used for good. It is good. Double good plus.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...or-the-better/

http://www.winshuttle.com/big-data-timeline/

Old 07-09-2014   #33
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human

Here ya go, folks: FaceApple and GoogleHoo have served us up on a platter to the powers that be:

http://scgnews.com/they-were-lying-t...spying-program

Quote:
...Don't worry everyone. Big Data will be used for good. It is good. Double good plus....
[SARCASM] Well, of course: There is nothing to worry about. Powermongering, psychopath politicians and anonymous, faceless billionaires always have the best interests of the working man and woman at heart. [/SARCASM]