Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Lenses and Images

Old 11-17-2019   #561
froyd

Maybe I missed it over the many posts in this thread, but did we ever get an assessment of the mechanical feel of the lens? I guess for now Kevin is the only one who could tell us.

Old 11-17-2019   #562
Ed Schwartzreic

I am going to say a few words here, as I have been evaluating two prototypes of this lens for several weeks, the results to be made available in the next issue 0f LHSAs journal Viewfinder, and perhaps elsewhere.

Handling of the prototypes is identical to handling the original. In fact, overall, I could not find much difference in any particular between the original and the replicas. Trying to find a metaphor for my feelings here, it is like they were twins, albeit twins separated by 60 years. A real tour de force.

Old 11-17-2019   #563
froyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Schwartzreic View Post
I am going to say a few words here, as I have been evaluating two prototypes of this lens for several weeks, the results to be made available in the next issue 0f LHSAs journal Viewfinder, and perhaps elsewhere.

Handling of the prototypes is identical to handling the original. In fact, overall, I could not find much difference in any particular between the original and the replicas. Trying to find a metaphor for my feelings here, it is like they were twins, albeit twins separated by 60 years. A real tour de force.
Impressive! Thanks Ed!

Old 11-17-2019   #564
froyd

On a lighter note, if not too personal, what are some ideas for the personalization service?

I'm thinking of F8beTHERE / F8&BThere. I'm also thinking of my son's initials since I'll be passing on my Leica kit to him in a few years. Obviously, the more personal you get the more you kill resell value, but at $500 that's no great concern.

I don't know how people can decide on tattoo designs... even engraving a lens causes me commitment anxiety!

Old 11-17-2019   #565
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Quote:

Thank you Ed, I appreciate that you are willing to share your thoughts here.

Kevin

When a man cannot choose he ceases to be a man...

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

https://www.instagram.com/kevinxbegin/

Old 11-17-2019   #566
chambrenoire

I will not be getting any custom engraving.. I will be shooting with the lens.

Old 11-17-2019   #567
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Quote:
Originally Posted by froyd View Post
On a lighter note, if not too personal, what are some ideas for the personalization service?

I'm thinking of F8beTHERE / F8&BThere. I'm also thinking of my son's initials since I'll be passing on my Leica kit to him in a few years. Obviously, the more personal you get the more you kill resell value, but at $500 that's no great concern.

I don't know how people can decide on tattoo designs... even engraving a lens causes me commitment anxiety!

The initial intention of the maker is he wants people to keep this lens but not resell it. So he willing to provide free customization service to let people engrave a message on it to make it unique to the owner.

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 11-17-2019   #568
aizan

Kevin, the next time you take sample photos, can you do some side-by-side shots at f/2 and at f/4? Id like to see how the bokeh and OOF highlights smooth out with the rounded aperture blades.

Also, any word on the hood?

Old 11-17-2019   #569
froyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambrenoire View Post
I don't think engraving is know to hamper optical performance. Unless, of course, it's on the glass!

Old 11-17-2019   #570
raid
Dad Photographer

Looking good, Kevin. Thanks.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 11-17-2019   #571
gramorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN-XU 愛 forever View Post
The initial intention of the maker is he wants people to keep this lens but not resell it. So he willing to provide free customization service to let people engrave a message on it to make it unique to the owner.
Email sent Kevin, just making sure you received. Thanks.

Old 11-17-2019   #572
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by froyd View Post

Sumiclone

Shawn

Regarding the buying list
Old 11-17-2019   #573
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Regarding the buying list

NOTE:

The reason why I set up an email account to let people state their willingness to purchase the lens is that there were people who started to leave comments in the thread or sending me private messages. So it's more organized and easy to handle by sending me an email. But please note that at this point, there is no need to let me know your engraving information or place a deposit. This is more like a waiting list to make sure people who like this project in the early stage can get in line since the supply will be limit due to the scale of the maker's team and the difficulty to make this lens. And also the supply of the flint glass is limited as I mentioned before.

But if you have a special request, you can state it in the email to let me know.

Thank you for all your support,
Kevin

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 11-17-2019   #574
raid
Dad Photographer

Hi Kevin,
Just out of curiosity, if one day a replica will be made of the I dangly expensive 50/1.0, what price would it be in?

Old 11-17-2019   #575
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Hi Kevin,
Just out of curiosity, if one day a replica will be made of the I dangly expensive 50/1.0, what price would it be in?
If they make this lens in the future, there is no doubt that the price will be much affordable. Currently, I cannot tell you what his next project will be and how much it will cost though.

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 11-17-2019   #576
raid
Dad Photographer

Thanks, Kevin.

It may be much more difficult to build a lens that is a true replica compared to crafting a lens that is "similar" to the original Leica lens.

Old 11-17-2019   #577
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Quote:
Thanks, Kevin.

It may be much more difficult to build a lens that is a true replica compared to crafting a lens that is "similar" to the original Leica lens.
You are right. The maker told me he realized the difficulty of making the lens right when the project went further. That's why he keeps working on it and improving it to make it as close as to the original lens.

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 11-17-2019   #578
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambrenoire View Post
One has nothing to do with the other.

Old 11-18-2019   #579
miloss

Quote:
If more people want to state the willingness to buy the lens, please send your message to the following email address since it's more convenient and easy to organize. My RFF private message box is full now...

email:
[email protected]

Best,
Kevin

Kevin,

I just sent an e-mail with my request. Thanks

Old 11-18-2019   #580
maartenmoerman

Will the lens come properly pre-calibrated? So I can immediately use it on film M cameras. My TT/7Artisan lenses never came calibrated, and it's a bit of a pain to be honest. Also, they (TT/7artisan) go beyond infinity, I'm assuming these won't have those issues?

Old 11-18-2019   #581
Ed Schwartzreic

Because the images I have regarding bokeh will likely NOT be published in my LHSA's Viewfinder article, I will attempt to load them here. I have to say that subjects interesting for bokeh are not that available right now in Vermont, with snow and leafless plants all around, but for these images, I focused on a target about 3 feet in from of a potted lemon grass plant. There are pairs of clips at 66% or 100% at f/2 and then f/4. The latter were taken at a slightly different time, with less sun on the leaves. So sorry if this is not definitive.

Last edited by Ed Schwartzreic : 11-18-2019 at 08:47. Reason: images did not load

Old 11-18-2019   #582
Ed Schwartzreic

I have put the images up on flickr. Hope this works.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/imager...posted-public/

Old 11-18-2019   #583
raid
Dad Photographer

Hi Ed,

How do you find the results? All OK?

-----------------

"I am going to say a few words here, as I have been evaluating two prototypes of this lens for several weeks, the results to be made available in the next issue 0f LHSA’s journal Viewfinder, and perhaps elsewhere.

Handling of the prototypes is identical to handling the original. In fact, overall, I could not find much difference in any particular between the original and the replicas. Trying to find a metaphor for my feelings here, it is like they were twins, albeit twins separated by 60 years. A real tour de force."

Old 11-18-2019   #584
aizan

Thanks for the test shots, Ed! They answer my question perfectly.

Old 11-18-2019   #585
Ed Schwartzreic

I could see only a little difference between the bokeh of the two lenses. What did you learn from what I put up?

Old 11-18-2019   #586
Ed Schwartzreic

What I looked at in my time with the lenses was how they performed in my hands, then somewhat informally at such things as flare, vignetting, flatness of field, focus shift, Bokeh, coma, and sharpness center and corner at various apertures. I did this only as a comparison between the original 8-element, and the replicas, not de novo with the new lenses.

You will have to wait until it is all put together and published, but you already have my verdict above.

Old 11-18-2019   #587
raid
Dad Photographer

I have a Summicron 35/2, so I now know what to expect from the clone. Thank you.

Old 11-18-2019   #588
aizan

Quote:
I could see only a little difference between the bokeh of the two lenses. What did you learn from what I put up?
While it is just one rough comparison, its enough to see that the replicas supposedly more rounded aperture does lead to rounder OOF highlights in the f/4 photos. As expected, the photos from both lenses at f/4 also have smoother bokeh than when they are wide open.

Im assuming well see the same thing in further test shots. Ill just wait and see!

Old 11-18-2019   #589
james.liam

Quote:
I have a Summicron 35/2, so I now know what to expect from the clone. Thank you.
Curious why youd get a clone when youve got the real deal on your hands?

Old 11-18-2019   #590
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.liam View Post
Curious why youd get a clone when youve got the real deal on your hands?

My Summicron has goggles. I want one without such goggles.
Plus, it will be a unique lens.

Old 11-18-2019   #591
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Quote:
Originally Posted by maartenmoerman View Post
Will the lens come properly pre-calibrated? So I can immediately use it on film M cameras. My TT/7Artisan lenses never came calibrated, and it's a bit of a pain to be honest. Also, they (TT/7artisan) go beyond infinity, I'm assuming these won't have those issues?
The maker said, "Each of our lenses is fine-tuned to ensure the accuracy of Rangefinder coupling." And by my experience, I have the first version prototype. It focuses 100% accurate in all ranges on my Leica M10. I only use the rangefinder to focus, by the way. And the second version is also accurate on my M10. So I believe they have the ability to make sure all the lenses calibrated correctly.

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 11-18-2019   #592
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

NOTE:

Some forum members request the custom serial number in emails. But I am sorry that they cannot reserve any specific serial number for you as this is hard for them to manage.

Kevin

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 11-18-2019   #593
yossi

Quote:
If more people want to state the willingness to buy the lens, please send your message to the following email address since it's more convenient and easy to organize. My RFF private message box is full now...

email:
[email protected]

Best,
Kevin
email sent for a BP 8E replica. xie xie

Old 11-18-2019   #594
vincentbihler

Looks like the original version bokeh produces wider blobs... Does that mean the replica has a smaller T stop aperture ?

Old 11-19-2019   #595
MaZo

Quote:
And by my experience, I have the first version prototype. It focuses 100% accurate in all ranges on my Leica M10. I only use the rangefinder to focus, by the way. And the second version is also accurate on my M10.
Hi Kevin, can you please clarify the differences between first and second version prototype? Thx

Old 11-19-2019   #596
BillBlackwell

I would prefer if this lens were multi-coated - not single coated. If there is such a variance I would be interested enough to put my name in.

Old 11-19-2019   #597
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlackwell View Post
I would prefer if this lens were multi-coated - not single coated. If there is such a variance I would be interested enough to put my name in.

Maker can produce the multi-coated version as a special request order. But there will be an extra cost for the multi-coated version.

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 11-19-2019   #598
BillBlackwell

Quote:
Maker can produce the multi-coated version as a special request order. But there will be an extra cost for the multi-coated version.
Got it. Check your email.

Old 11-19-2019   #599
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentbihler View Post
Looks like the original version bokeh produces wider blobs... Does that mean the replica has a smaller T stop aperture ?

I didn't notice any difference when testing and comparing the replica with the original. And the maker told me the replica has the same aperture as the original.

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 11-19-2019   #600
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
What is the extra cost, Kevin?