Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Lenses and Images

Old 01-05-2020   #1161
rudobra

It’s getting hard to wait ! The results are impressives. Will the hood going to be available soon too ?

Old 01-06-2020   #1162
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudobra View Post
Itís getting hard to wait ! The results are impressives. Will the hood going to be available soon too ?
I will ask the maker about this. I am sorry for the delay.

Best,
Kevin

When a man cannot choose he ceases to be a man...

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

https://www.instagram.com/kevinxbegin/

Old 01-06-2020   #1163
sreed2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN-XU 愛 forever View Post
Haha! You got it! Your detective mode is very accurate.
These replica lenses are sure to put smiles on many faces.

My favorite question is "What does this button do?"

Old 01-06-2020   #1164
punkzter

Can anyone clue me in on some of the qualities they are comparing when they look at the two sets of sample images?

To my untrained eye, the images from the original lens look better. I mentioned earlier that, of the two images shown by Raid, the first had a clear shadow while the second didn't. And it seemed like all of the original images had more contrast and more detail.

But nobody seems terribly concerned by this...and people whose opinion I've come to trust state that both lenses look great.

(Note, I've put in an order for this lens, and don't intend to cancel it. So I'm just trying to learn how to evaluate these pictures and this lens)

Old 01-06-2020   #1165
aizan

i was looking mostly at macro contrast, distortion, and sharpness. these shots didn't really have much bokeh or flare to look at.

so far, the results are almost identical, which is very exciting!

kevin explained that the different appearance of shadows on that pair of photos you were concerned about is due to clouds moving around that day.

Old 01-06-2020   #1166
froyd

I was looking particularly for the rendering of the shadow areas. I like lenses that can "draw light from the dark". In that respect the new lens comes close to the Summicron, though the Summicron seemed better. Of course, web-sized Jpegs only get you so far. It's not clear to me if the difference in the brightness of the midtones is due to slight differences in aperture, scanning, or something else.

Old 01-06-2020   #1167
raid
Dad Photographer

The replica may result in images which have slightly higher contrast. No big deal really. I want my replica!

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 01-06-2020   #1168
teddy
Jose Morales

Quote:
Sorry for the late update! Here is the answer.

The first picture was taken by the original Leica 35mm f2 8-element, the second picture was taken by the Replica 8-element 35mm f2.

Kevin
DING DING!!! I win! Thanks for the info Kevin, can't wait for mine!

Old 01-06-2020   #1169
kiemchacsu

hat off to raid and teddy;
very sharp eyes, which distinguished precisely which lens was used.

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market

Old 01-06-2020   #1170
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
The replica may result in images which have slightly higher contrast. No big deal really. I want my replica!
Could be just because it is a new lens vs decades old.

Old 01-06-2020   #1171
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Could be just because it is a new lens vs decades old.
New materials may have caused the changes slightly.

Old 01-06-2020   #1172
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

I have handled many first version Summicron 35 2 before. All of them have different levels of haze issues. My guess is the haze inside old Summicron causes a low contrast effect.

Kevin

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 01-06-2020   #1173
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
I have handled many first version Summicron 35 2 before. All of them have different levels of haze issues. My guess is the haze inside old Summicron causes a low contrast effect.

Kevin
Yes, this is true. I see the capabilities of the Summicron when viewing an image on a large monitor. I can see very fine details.

Old 01-06-2020   #1174
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Yes, this is true. I see the capabilities of the Summicron when viewing an image on a large monitor. I can see very fine details.
I am now preparing to upload the color film test. Please stay tuned.

Kevin

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

[Film Test] original Leica 35/2 8-element VS. replica 35/2 8-element final retail ver
Old 01-06-2020   #1175
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

[Film Test] original Leica 35/2 8-element VS. replica 35/2 8-element final retail ver

[Film Test] original Leica 35/2 8-element VS. replica 35/2 8-element final retail version (Black Paint)

Original Leica 8-element was mounted on Leica m7, and the replica 8-element was mounted on Leica MP. Same shutter speed setting for every comparison shoots.

Film: Kodak NEW Ektachrome E100
Two films have been developed in the same batch to keep this a fair test.

[Film Test] original Leica 35/2 8-element VS. replica 35/2 8-element final retail version by Kevin-Xu, on Flickr

[Film Test] original Leica 35/2 8-element VS. replica 35/2 8-element final retail version by Kevin-Xu, on Flickr

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 01-06-2020   #1176
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

[Film Test] original Leica 35/2 8-element VS. replica 35/2 8-element final retail version

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

Old 01-06-2020   #1177
fuse01

how to order?

Old 01-06-2020   #1178
Deardorff38

fuse01, orders for the first batch closed 3weeks ago. Orders for RFF members in N America have not yet been filled. Best idea would be to keep watching this thread for updates.

Old 01-06-2020   #1179
kiemchacsu

similar to the black and white batch;
the second photo is brighter than the first one.
but i am really impressed with how the replica can render the colors. in fact, i prefer the more saturated color of the second photo.
and more interestingly; the second photo shows that the lens can deal with the back light better, thanks to the new coating i guess.

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market

Old 01-06-2020   #1180
Emile de Leon

Yeah..but the replica.. loses the shadows..in the doorway...under the metal roof...
And the upper wood beam above doorway...totally lost..
So not that impressed..
Esp in night or high contrast shots..where you want the lower contrast..to bring out the shadows..
...that said..there needs to be some real tests made..not just handheld stuff..
Put both lenses on the same camera on 1 tripod..and change lenses..so the exposures are the same..
And test for corners as well as color fidelity..
And some digital tests too...as this is where this lens may or may not shine..

Old 01-06-2020   #1181
Deardorff38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile de Leon View Post
Yeah..but the replica.. loses the shadows..in the doorway...under the metal roof...
And the upper wood beam above doorway...totally lost..
So not that impressed..
Esp in night shots..where you want the lower contrast..to bring out the shadows..
In B&W..
...maybe, but i'm not going to judge off a monitor. Looking forward to having it in hand and shooting film & printing before i judge. Results thus far look very promising.

Old 01-06-2020   #1182
teddy
Jose Morales

Okay, I found this one very interesting and kind of tough... But the image that gave away my conclusion is the last batch! The Replica is the second one again! It all has to do with the contrast and highlight blooming against tile roof shadows! Theres more source light bloom with older lenses. There could also be something else at play, the MP and the M7 light meter or perhaps that the Replica just gathers a "touch" more light... Why!?! My guess is that it has been improved! Yes, it may be a replica, but the glass being new may gather more light being an improvement. Would this affect contrast? Well, they are both very similar in contrast, but the 1st image of all batches, just has a slight darker tone than the 2nd - which is the Replica... This is fun! Thanks Kevin!

Old 01-07-2020   #1183
eckhardf

I'm surprised..

Where I had a consistent preference for the upper image in the Black and White sequence I don't have a consistent preference one way or the other for the colour sequence.

The lower colour images seem to be about a third to a half stop lighter on average and perhaps this is why they also seem slightly higher in contrast. The lower image colours also seem a little warmer in tone.

Very close and I won't attempt to guess which is the replica.

My largest preference is also the found in the last image in the sequence - the laundry hanging outside the building. I really love the bloom (or is it veiling flare??) around the roof in the upper image - great character in a lens! The colours in the clothes also seem richer in the top image. So naturally I hope the replica produced the top images.

I should note that having seen both pairs of images that I am not too concerned which lens produced which images - they really are close. I shoot mostly digital these days and scan film so it's fairly simple to adjust exposure, colour temps, contrast and saturation etc. in post to get a result you like.

The comparison is really interesting and I thank Kevin for all the effort he is putting into this project.

I'd be interested in seeing some digital comparisons as well - especially as that's how I will be using my new replica lens!

Old 01-07-2020   #1184
Erik van Straten

Yes, in this shot the differences are obvious.

I think that the original eight elements is now very popular because of the veiling glare that is caused by the now very old and simple coatings. People like this effect on their digital shots. That is why the old cine lenses -Angťnieux and such- are also very popular nowadays.

Perhaps it is hard do do, but a coating on the replica like the coating on the original could make the replica very desirable for a lot of people.

Erik.

Old 01-07-2020   #1185
retinax

I'm surprised people here like flare from haze so much. It shouldn't be hard to fog any lens if you want more of that... or more reasonably, put a dirty filter on it. If you only want to lift the shadows, flashing the film would do that without the other effects of flare. I'd much rather have a cleanly imaging lens...
And please, people! The disappearance of an image element that is about middle gray, which happens to be a shadow, cannot be attributed to the lens. When we talk about "shadow detail" or some such, we mean the darkest parts of an image, not necessarily shadows in the picture, which can be pictured as dark or light as one chooses to expose them . There clearly and unfortunately was changing light when the black and white test pictures ware made.

Old 01-07-2020   #1186
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
I'm surprised people here like flare from haze so much. It shouldn't be hard to fog any lens if you want more of that... or more reasonably, put a dirty filter on it. If you only want to up the shadows, flashing the film would do that without the other effects of flare. I'd much rather have a cleanly imaging lens...
I do not mean haze, wich ruins the whole image, but the old single layer coating. Nowadays all lenses are multicoated. A single layer coating however gives often a very pleasant effect.

The original 8 elements Summicron is now about 60 years old.

Erik.

Old 01-07-2020   #1187
retinax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
I do not mean haze, wich ruins the whole image, but the old single layer coating. Nowadays all lenses are multicoated. A single layer coating however gives often a very pleasant effect.

Erik.

Well, this replica is single coated and Kevin himself said above that the original Summicron was likely slightly hazy. And it does look like slight haze. I agree it is slight enough it doesn't ruin the picture.

Old 01-07-2020   #1188
raid
Dad Photographer

I expected the replica to have higher contrast, and I chose single coated over multi coated.
The new coating is sufficient.

Old 01-07-2020   #1189
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
Well, this replica is single coated and Kevin himself said above that the original Summicron was likely slightly hazy. And it does look like slight haze. I agree it is slight enough it doesn't ruin the picture.
On old, uncoated lenses haze is desastrous, maybe not so much on coated lenses, but everything is possible.

The design of the eight elements is however sensible for flare, because eight elements is quite a lot in such a lens. The more elements, the more flare. The Summaron 35mm f/2.8 has only six elements, but is at full aperture only sharp in the middle. Not much flare, however.

Erik.

Leica M2, Summaron 35mm f/2.8 @ f/2.8, TriX/D76, AdoxMCC110.

Old 01-07-2020   #1190
froyd

The exposure difference seems quite significant in the first set of picures: the first image is quite dark in the shadow areas

whereas the second one reveals a lot more detail, e.g. the field next to the parking lot.

From the position of the cars, it looks like the images were taken almost simultaneously, so the light should not have changed much.

Do we attribute the exposure difference to the glass properties, the diaphragm, or the shutter?

Old 01-07-2020   #1191
vincentbihler

Scanning technique can also make some pictures brighter than the other when they are the exact same...

Old 01-07-2020   #1192
chambrenoire

As Kevin wrote, pictures were taken on two different cameras (M7 & MP) on slide film. Slide film is sensitive and has to be exposed correctly. Maybe either camera has slightly off shutter speeds and therefor it exposes differently?

Anyways, the replica looks great, can't wait to get it and shoot with it!

Old 01-07-2020   #1193
raid
Dad Photographer

I am content with what I have seen so far. The replica is an excellent lens. Once I get it, I will use it and also my Summicron, side by side.

Old 01-07-2020   #1194
Highway 61
Revisited

In the late 1980's I used to own, and shoot with, an original 8-elements Summicron, Wetzlar made. It was crystal clear with no haze at all. At that time, it was not so old as what it would be today (I haven't it any longer so I cannot know if it developed haze over time eventually, or not).

The photos shot with it under overcast daylight situations all show some veiling effects due to natural flare, with a large round area of the center of the photos with significantly less contrast than the corners, in spite of the use of the IROOA lens hood. On some photos this is quite unwanted and, at the end of the day, not really nice.

Old 01-07-2020   #1195
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by froyd View Post
The exposure difference seems quite significant in the first set of picures: the first image is quite dark in the shadow areas

whereas the second one reveals a lot more detail, e.g. the field next to the parking lot.

From the position of the cars, it looks like the images were taken almost simultaneously, so the light should not have changed much.

Do we attribute the exposure difference to the glass properties, the diaphragm, or the shutter?
It's obviously exposure difference. The M7 has a more accurate shutter than the MP as it is electronically controlled. On mechanical M kameras, 1/1000 is actually closer to 1/750, while the M7 is 1/1000. For example.

Old 01-07-2020   #1196
splitimageview

Web images are woefully inadequate for comparison purposes, there are simply too many variables (exposure, scanning and many more) to come to any conclusions.

Old 01-07-2020   #1197
Ed Schwartzreic

When I was testing the prototype versus my old (but cleaned) original 8-element, I felt that one had to use the same camera for both lenses, as well as a fixed f/stop and speed, in order to do a fair comparison. IOW, a rapid lens swap. Otherwise there were just too many variables.

One thing I did not do was use Live View for focusing, therefore opening up the possible error of RF tracking as well.

I might today make a few images for comparisons sake.

Old 01-07-2020   #1198
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Schwartzreic View Post
When I was testing the prototype versus my old (but cleaned) original 8-element, I felt that one had to use the same camera for both lenses, as well as a fixed f/stop and speed, in order to do a fair comparison. IOW, a rapid lens swap. Otherwise there were just too many variables.

One thing I did not do was use Live View for focusing, therefore opening up the possible error of RF tracking as well.

I might today make a few images for comparisons sake.
This will be useful here, Ed. Thank you.
How easy was it to clean the Cron from haze? Should I do it?

Old 01-07-2020   #1199
Ed Schwartzreic

First off, Raid, my original lens was cleaned when I had fungus removed from it. I don't wish that on anyone. Luckily they did a nice job.

I hope I get the pixel parameters of these images correct, loaded from flickr. There are 2 image sets. The first is indoors, shot at f/4. I see little difference.

The second is outside, in the snow, shot at f/5.6. Here the original lens seems to be about 1 stop slower. I repeated this to be sure I had not made an error, but it came out the same the second time. I shot on my M10 at 1/2000 @ f.5,6 for both. ISO 800.

prototype1 by woodswoman57, on Flickr

original1 by woodswoman57, on Flickr

prototype2 by woodswoman57, on Flickr

original2 by woodswoman57, on Flickr

Old 01-07-2020   #1200
Ed Schwartzreic

I guess I could have gone bigger with the images, but they can be viewed on flickr in any case.