Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X-100 Series

Fuji X-100 Series This forum is for fans of the rangefinder retrostyled Fuji X Series of digital cameras.

X100 RAW processed
Old 03-01-2011   #1
ebrandon

X100 RAW processed

We've all been waiting to see what the X100 can do in RAW, but have been unable to open the samples in any programs.

In this thread, http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=37858823, a special patched version of a RAW converter was used to convert the RAWs to PNG.

I downloaded those PNGs, and converted them to TIFF in iPhoto. Then used Lightroom 3 and Photoshop CS4 to process the TIFF like any RAW file -- denoise, sharpening, adjusting exposure, color, contrast, etc.

For those worried that the X100 produces soft, flat images -- rest assured -- the RAWs can deliver the goods.

Here is a link to download the "before" (unprocessed TIFF) http://db.tt/uM3tnCm and the "after" (post-processed TIFF) http://db.tt/dvXlxHS

For those who don't want to download 60 MB of TIFFs, here's a SmugMug gallery with "before" and "after" post-processing JPGs and 100% crops. http://thebrandons.smugmug.com/Other...03198900_bYuCD

Old 03-02-2011   #2
Terao
Kiloran

So on the smugmug gallery, I assume that the first (lower contrast) shot is the camera JPG and the second is the RAW processed? i.e the ones labelled 1 of 2 are RAW processed?

Bodies:
Nikon D700
Lenses: Nikon 50mm f/1.2 AIS, Nikon 85mm f/1.4

My Flickr gallery

Old 03-02-2011   #3
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terao View Post
So on the smugmug gallery, I assume that the first (lower contrast) shot is the camera JPG and the second is the RAW processed? i.e the ones labelled 1 of 2 are RAW processed?
one is an unproccesed RAW converted to JPEG and the other is a sharpened RAW converted to JPEG.

Yes, there's HEAPS of detail coming out of this camera/lens.

Old 03-02-2011   #4
DFNDRMP

Boooo! ; )

"Error (509)
This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!"

Thanks for the link's/files fdigital. Hopefully I can get to them soon to check them out!

Old 03-02-2011   #5
GSNfan
-

I'm left underwhelmed by all the images coming X100 thus far. I also feel the metering overexposes by at least .3 and even .7 stop.

Please Educate Me
Old 03-02-2011   #6
willie_901

Please Educate Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSNfan View Post
I'm left underwhelmed by all the images coming X100 thus far. I also feel the metering overexposes by at least .3 and even .7 stop.
I agree that the pre-release cameras clearly over expose.

I feel deficient because I find the full-sized X100 results to be excellent. I can't imagine wanting or needing more than the X100 delivers for a 16X20 print.

While it is obviously impossible for make any sort of comparison with these X100 pre-release images, I would be grateful if you would post a full-sized image from any camera/lens combination that you consider to be above average as well as one that overwhelms you..

I need to learn what I'm missing.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 03-02-2011   #7
semilog
curmudgeonly optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post
While it is obviously impossible for make any sort of comparison with these X100 pre-release images, I would be grateful if you would post a full-sized image from any camera/lens combination that you consider to be above average as well as one that overwhelms you..
First: except at the outer limits of print size or ISO, all of the contemporary APS-C sensors have reasonably similar performance and that performance is remarkably good.

Second: Anybody who shoots significant amounts of film in 135 format (especially ISO400 film, and especially handheld)* is really not in a good position to criticize the sensor performance of any contemporary APS-C or even m4/3 camera. To a first approximation, in technical terms they all —all of them — are better than Tri-X or HP5+, if the output is to be a decent inkjet print.

*Why yes, I do resemble that remark. I shoot 85% B&W film because it's a kick in the pants and because I like some of the rendering properties of film. But I don't have illusions about the IQ being better than what I can get with my DSLR in purely technical terms.

semilog.smugmug.com | flickr.com/photos/semilog/

Last edited by semilog : 03-02-2011 at 08:11.

Old 03-02-2011   #8
cjcm

Thank you ebrandon !!! . Stunning results with raw.

Old 03-02-2011   #9
cgiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by semilog View Post
First: except at the outer limits of print size or ISO, all of the contemporary APS-C sensors have reasonably similar performance and that performance is remarkably good.

Second: Anybody who shoots significant amounts of film in 135 format (especially ISO400 film, and especially handheld)* is really not in a good position to criticize the sensor performance of any contemporary APS-C or even m4/3 camera. To a first approximation, in technical terms they all —all of them — are better than Tri-X or HP5+, if the output is to be a decent inkjet print.

*Why yes, I do resemble that remark. I shoot 85% B&W film because it's a kick in the pants and because I like some of the rendering properties of film. But I don't have illusions about the IQ being better than what I can get with my DSLR in purely technical terms.
Excellent post. We're really pretty spoiled in terms of the IQ we can get from so many types of different cameras.

Regarding the OP, I'm a bit confused. Once the RAW has been converted to PNG, hasn't all the RAW data been lost? So what's the point of converting to a TIFF? Sure, the shots clean up nicely, but they clean up like any JPEG would.

Old 03-02-2011   #10
ebrandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgiff View Post
Regarding the OP, I'm a bit confused. Once the RAW has been converted to PNG, hasn't all the RAW data been lost? So what's the point of converting to a TIFF? Sure, the shots clean up nicely, but they clean up like any JPEG would.
You may be right about that. My only access to the RAW file was as a PNG. I've never used PNG in any workflow before, and since it was a big (30MB) file, and I knew that PNGs are "uncompressed" I assumed it retained all the raw data the same way a TIFF, DNG, or PSD does.

Please educate me about PNGs if I'm wrong, because I don't know much about them.

Old 03-02-2011   #11
Arjay
Time Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrandon View Post
Please educate me about PNGs if I'm wrong, because I don't know much about them.
PNG isn't a raw file format, and does not retain the camera's native color resolution. So, image files in PNG do not reflect all the data which could be contained in a raw file. PNG files have a resolution of 24 (3 x 8) bits, which corresponds to that of a JPG file.

DNG on the other hand is an open raw image file format proposed by Adobe that has not found widespread support among makers of digital cameras (except for Leica and some smaller brands).

It's very unfortunate that both these highly dissimilar image formats have names that can be mixed up to easily ...

The raw files of virtually all raw-capable cameras have a color resolution of at least 36 (3 x 12) bits. Some cameras even feature 42 (3 x 14) bits, and their raw files (though all organized in manufacturer-specific schemes) are based on 48 (3 x 16) bit TIFF image files. The higher color resolutions of the RAW and '16-bit' (actually 48 bit) TIFF files offer more flexibility for image editing, as their higher-resolution data model is less prone to rounding mistakes after histogram corrections, thus suffering less from posterization problems after extensive image manipulation.

My RFF Gallery, My Flickr, My Ipernity, all presenting different bodies of work

Last edited by Arjay : 03-02-2011 at 09:47. Reason: typos

Old 03-02-2011   #12
Elektrojänis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
PNG files have a resolution of 24 (3 x 8) bits, which corresponds to that of a JPG file.
Actually, PNG file can have 16 bits per channel (48 bits total): http://www.w3.org/TR/PNG/#11CcGen

Old 03-02-2011   #13
gekopaca
French photographer

The best would be to obtain DNG files coming staight from the specific X-100 raw format.
Is it possible to obtain that?
Then, we might test personaly the files with our own apps/process chains

Old 03-02-2011   #14
Soothsayerman

All modern digital sensors "overexpose". They do this to get more detail out of the shadows. Thats just the convention nowadays. If you study the evolution of what is conventionally a "proper" exposure, it has evolved and changed over time as the image making process has changed.

Years ago, negatives would have been hoplessly underexposed by todays standards. Things just change.

Old 03-02-2011   #15
Mister E
-

OP you have far to much time on your hands! I really wish people understood what a TIFF was. Converting a png to tiff in iPhoto is comical.

Last edited by Mister E : 04-28-2011 at 21:49.

Old 03-02-2011   #16
shashinka-ichiban
写真家 一番

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothsayerman View Post
All modern digital sensors "overexpose". They do this to get more detail out of the shadows. Thats just the convention nowadays. If you study the evolution of what is conventionally a "proper" exposure, it has evolved and changed over time as the image making process has changed.

Years ago, negatives would have been hoplessly underexposed by todays standards. Things just change.
That would explain why three of my Nikon dSLR's appear to overexpose. I had to manually calibrate my D2Hs and my D3s to underexpose a third stop. I always thoguht I was and because no one else seem to believe me. So, this leads me to wonder if the menus will allow for metering compensation in-camera like my Nikons let me do. I liek the fact that in the menus I can go in to the Nikon and calibrate my meter +/- (not exposure compensation)

Old 03-02-2011   #17
ChrisN
Striving

And the exposure calibration will vary with different lenses (for interchangable-lens cameras). Then there's the impact of changing the metering mode. One person's perception of over-exposure is another man's perfection. And besides, that's what the exposure compensation dial is for. Shoot, look at the histogram, compensate, keep shooting. That's digital!

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery
Flickr

Old 03-04-2011   #18
special.foto
see twice, shoot once

Will Fuji provide raw procesing software like Nikon? In nikon's view nx you can change on a raw file the picture control from standard (left in camera) to neutral/vivid/portrait/landscape/etc. I was wondering if you could change the film emulation from velvia to provia and so on when postprocesing, so you can shoot raw and leave that emulation alone so you don't fondle to much with it when shooting in the street.

Old 03-04-2011   #19
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by special.foto View Post
Will Fuji provide raw procesing software like Nikon? In nikon's view nx you can change on a raw file the picture control from standard (left in camera) to neutral/vivid/portrait/landscape/etc. I was wondering if you could change the film emulation from velvia to provia and so on when postprocesing, so you can shoot raw and leave that emulation alone so you don't fondle to much with it when shooting in the street.
x100 ships with silkypix:

http://silkypix.shortcutinc.com/

Old 03-04-2011   #20
Arjay
Time Traveller

I'm fairly sure that all the film emulations will only take effect when converting raw data to jpg files (at least that's how most of these conversions work).

The raw file concept was developed for non-destructive image editing, i.e the original image date are never destroyed. Additional processing steps are recorded as parameters, and any of the modifications made by the user will be displayed in real time on the computer screen. If you save such a file, you will always be able to restore the image to its original state!

So you might configure your camera to deliver raw & jpg files, where the jpg files will represent e.g. a simulated velvia output, whereas the raw file will retain the original unmodified data, with added conversion parameters (that's how raw generally works in all the digital cameras I know).

That is, you can load your RAF file into Silkypix, and the software will initially display the image in conformance with the settings you chose in the camera. If, however, you change these settings in Silkypix, you will very likely be able to display the original image either without any emulation or with any other emulation you chose in the Silkypix work session on your computer.

My RFF Gallery, My Flickr, My Ipernity, all presenting different bodies of work

Old 03-04-2011   #21
dazedgonebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSNfan View Post
That's awesome. I've been taking pictures longer than you've been alive and I still can only manage "eh, a bit over exposed."

Where do you get your eyeballs calibrated. Maybe it's not too late for me.

"And I know now that the cure for my childhood was not to be looked after, as I once believed; it was to look after someone else." ~Philip Norman

Photography Blog
Flickr
Twitter

Old 04-27-2011   #22
jto555

Adobe has updated ACR and the update now includes support for the X100. : D

Unimpressed?
Old 04-28-2011   #23
LincolnLogs

Unimpressed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrandon View Post
We've all been waiting to see what the X100 can do in RAW, but have been unable to open the samples in any programs.

In this thread, http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=37858823, a special patched version of a RAW converter was used to convert the RAWs to PNG.

I downloaded those PNGs, and converted them to TIFF in iPhoto. Then used Lightroom 3 and Photoshop CS4 to process the TIFF like any RAW file -- denoise, sharpening, adjusting exposure, color, contrast, etc.

For those worried that the X100 produces soft, flat images -- rest assured -- the RAWs can deliver the goods.

Here is a link to download the "before" (unprocessed TIFF) http://db.tt/uM3tnCm and the "after" (post-processed TIFF) http://db.tt/dvXlxHS

For those who don't want to download 60 MB of TIFFs, here's a SmugMug gallery with "before" and "after" post-processing JPGs and 100% crops. http://thebrandons.smugmug.com/Other...03198900_bYuCD

I guess I need glasses. I downloaded both the 'before' and 'after' versions and was completely blown away by the resolution, color and naturalness of the image. A drum scan of my best Contax G2 images, cannot come close to this. This could be the digital G2 I have been looking for. i was also impressed at ebrandon's careful post processing. Gosh, if this ain't good, I better put my camera in the closet and find some other things to do with my life. From what I see, the x100 delivers the goods and can't wait until B&H has them for stateside folks. Unfortunately, there are a lot of excited folks plastering the net with 'snaps' from their new 'toy', but I can see that it is a worthy tool in the right hands. Thanks for posting the large tiff's, large files are very revealing.

Lincoln