Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X-100 Series

Fuji X-100 Series This forum is for fans of the rangefinder retrostyled Fuji X Series of digital cameras.

View Poll Results: Straight up X100 owner ... yes or no!
Yes ... deal done. I have one or I'm waiting for one. 115 36.16%
No. 203 63.84%
Voters: 318. You may not vote on this poll

Just fess up, immediate X100 owner ... yes or no!
Old 03-08-2011   #1
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Just fess up, immediate X100 owner ... yes or no!

I'm insatiably curious to find out how many people here are actually going to be straight up X100 owners ... no ifs, buts or maybes ... you're either getting it now or your not! Six months from now who cares, because by then we'll all be salivating over the next miracle mirrorless digital.

I've noticed that Joe is flip flopping over his decision to own one and I can't help but wonder if some of the other 'I have to have one' brigade are doing the same?

Me ... I'm getting one that fell off the back of a truck!

Last edited by Keith : 03-08-2011 at 21:57.

Old 03-08-2011   #2
maddoc
... likes film.

No. Film is still available and funnier ...

flickr
pBase

Old 03-08-2011   #3
skibeerr

I am waiting until I am in Melbourne, since we are staying for five years I would like to have a local warranty.

W

Old 03-08-2011   #4
MPerson

Mine arrives today.

Old 03-08-2011   #5
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post

Film is not just funny, it's a problem Gabor ... I've discovered it's taking up most of the room in my freezer.

How will I test the X100?

Last edited by Doug : 03-14-2011 at 18:39. Reason: "leaving no real space for a frozen cat"

Old 03-08-2011   #6
Stravinsky
Leitz Fellowship

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
+1

Film is the reason why my photo passion revamped and the reason why I spend time here...

----------------------------
RFFGALLERY - flickr - twitter
----------------------------

Old 03-08-2011   #7
hausen

Have mine. Is worth the wait. Only two arrived in local store. I was first to put down a deposit so was first on the list. Hopefully you get yours soon Keith.

Far too many cameras & lenses!

Old 03-08-2011   #8
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hausen View Post
Have mine. Is worth the wait. Only two arrived in local store. I was first to put down a deposit so was first on the list. Hopefully you get yours soon Keith.

There's people throughout the western world waiting for these things and Auckland has a couple already ... what goes on here?

Brisbane must be about the same population as Auckland ... where's mine?

Old 03-08-2011   #9
Moriturii
Unsui

No. A redundant piece of machine that does nothing that hasn't been done before. And what it does now is no where near worth to spend 1000 dollars on. Imagine what you can do with 1000 dollars, but people insist on dropping it on something that is 'but a thing'. Stop being so materialistic.

Old 03-08-2011   #10
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriturii View Post
No. A redundant piece of machine that does nothing that hasn't been done before. And what it does now is no where near worth to spend 1000 dollars on. Imagine what you can do with 1000 dollars, but people insist on dropping it on something that is 'but a thing'. Stop being so materialistic.

Personally I think a thousand dollars does bugger all these days ... it did a lot when I was a kid though!

And suggesting that people here stop being materialistic is bold ... I admire your 'chutzpah!'

Old 03-09-2011   #11
Terao
Kiloran

It was a yes, until Amazon UK priced the thing at £899 for April shipment, and so now I'm waiting. If Amazon can sell it for that price clearly the launch price (£999) is a decent premium and will fall once stock becomes widely available.

Its a completely pointless and illogical purchase, I could get a similarly good compact RF (e.g. Oly 35RC) and about 90 rolls processed/scanned for the same price. Given the rate I shoot at these days that's probably 9 years of film photography, by which time we'll have a large format digital view camera with movements for the price of a Holga*

*OK, slight exaggeration.

Bodies:
Nikon D700
Lenses: Nikon 50mm f/1.2 AIS, Nikon 85mm f/1.4

My Flickr gallery

Old 03-09-2011   #12
LKeithR
Improving daily--I think.

So far the X100 is looking really good but I can't afford one at the moment so the enforced wait means I really get to find out how the camera performs before I put any money down. And no, just because my name is Keith I'm not expecting one to fall off the back of a truck. I have lots of other toys to play with in the interim--20+ cameras as we speak. My wife has told me that if I want anything more I have more than enough stuff to sell in order to finance the purchase. But..the one nice thing about having that much stuff around is that she doesn't know if I do slip another body or lens onto the shelf--not that I would ever cheat on "her"...
"Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed." - Mark Twain

Old 03-09-2011   #13
haempe
negative guy

NO!
I am stuck 9 hours per day in a full digital workflow.
I would never ever touch a digital camera after end of work...

haempe.net

Old 03-09-2011   #14
ChrisN
Striving

Keith - I think the one thing this thread will prove is that the people who have decided to buy, and the people have have decided not to buy, will both have perfectly reasonable and logical reasons for their decision. However, some of the negatives seems to awfully emphatic and repetitive about it!

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery
Flickr

Old 03-09-2011   #15
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
Keith - I think the one thing this thread will prove is that the people who have decided to buy, and the people have have decided not to buy, will both have perfectly reasonable and logical reasons for their decision. However, some of the negatives seems to awfully emphatic and repetitive about it!

Yes ... I did get the odd whiff of film verses digital myself!

Clear no
Old 03-09-2011   #16
Steve Ash

Clear no

I invested in the great Leica M system - film and digital. Why on earth shall I leave this amazingly compact and enjoyable system at home for the sake of a little p&s which gimmecks a rangefinder.

Regards
Stve

Old 03-09-2011   #17
photo_fred
photo_fred

I'll be buying one but will wait for the first ones to develop bugs and be fixed before I get mine.I usually don't buy when things are first released.

Old 03-09-2011   #18
ChrisN
Striving

I weighed a few of my cameras last night. The M4/Summicron 35/2 weighs in at 900gm. The Hexar with the same lens is just 5gm lighter. The dSLR with my nearest equivalent lens is 1021gm. (And I feel the difference.)

The X100 specs promise a mass of 445gm with card and batteries.

As I get older that starts to sound attractive in some situations. And I would still have the option of using the other systems when they would suit my needs better.

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery
Flickr

Old 03-09-2011   #19
Roger Hicks

Quote:
I weighed a few of my cameras last night. The M4/Summicron 35/2 weighs in at 900gm. The Hexar with the same lens is just 5gm lighter. The dSLR with my nearest equivalent lens is 1021gm. (And I feel the difference.)

The X100 specs promise a mass of 445gm with card and batteries.

As I get older that starts to sound attractive in some situations. And I would still have the option of using the other systems when they would suit my needs better.
Dear Chris,

True, but whenever I advance this argument to myself, I reflect that with a minimum of self-discipline (eat and drink a little less, exercise a little more) I could lose the weight of my M9 and any single lens I own for it. With more effort I could probably lose the weight of a small Leica system (2 bodies, 5 lenses).

Cheers,

R.

Old 03-09-2011   #20
rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Film is not just funny, it's a problem Gabor ... I've discovered it's taking up most of the room in my freezer.

How will I test the X100?
How about taking some photos of the, errrr, cat?

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Last edited by Doug : 03-14-2011 at 18:40.

Old 03-09-2011   #21
edi

Lol Keith, where did you pre order yours from? if you know anyone in bris has stock do tell

I have mine pre-ordered at a shop in WA... long wait.

Old 03-09-2011   #22
_larky

I have one, it was worth the wait, and now I've had some time to play with the settings and set it up as I want, I imagine it'll be a great little shooter. And everybody who has seen it thinks it's an old film camera.

Old 03-09-2011   #23
cpharris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terao View Post
It was a yes, until Amazon UK priced the thing at £899 for April shipment, and so now I'm waiting. If Amazon can sell it for that price clearly the launch price (£999) is a decent premium and will fall once stock becomes widely available.
+1

I had the camera pre-ordered, and expected to collect it next week. But the store wouldn't match the Amazon price, and the filter ring (and other accessories) aren't available until early April. So I've decided to wait and buy once everything I want is available.

Sounds like a fun camera though

edit: Hope that with Fuji increasing output, the quality control isn't affected.

Old 03-09-2011   #24
ChrisN
Striving

It's not a matter of my weight and fitness Roger (although most of us can improve). In some situations one is already burdened with other necessities, "tools of trade", etc, and every gram counts. In my bushwalking days we had a saying - take care of the ounces and the pounds will take care of themselves. I often photograph in places that require a decent walk to get to, in conditions that demand that food, protective clothing, water, map/gps/compass, first-aid kit, etc be carried. Throw in the odd aches due to old injuries and a concern for the weight of the kit becomes not second nature, but an imperative that demands attention! And in other situations where photography is not the prime reason for the outing, a heavy camera is an unnecessary burden. Where I want good results and I can, I'll take the Hasselblad. Everything else is a compromise, to differing degrees along the spectrum.

Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery
Flickr

Old 03-09-2011   #25
DFNDRMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ash View Post
I invested in the great Leica M system - film and digital. Why on earth shall I leave this amazingly compact and enjoyable system at home for the sake of a little p&s which gimmecks a rangefinder.

Regards
Stve

Old 03-09-2011   #26
DFNDRMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by edi View Post
Lol Keith, where did you pre order yours from? if you know anyone in bris has stock do tell

Camera Electronic?

Called them today to get an update - delivery is expected late March to early April.

Oh yeah, I voted YES.

Old 03-09-2011   #27
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by edi View Post

'Digital Camera Warehouse' ... they have stores in Brisbane Melbourne and Sydney. When I rang the other day the guy on the phone seemed to think that there was still unclaimed cameras in the first shipment. I forgot to ask him for a predicted arrival date though!

Old 03-09-2011   #28
myM8yogi

If I didn't already have an M9 and J3 50/1.5 I would be very seriously looking at the X100.
However, I would ultimately still be in search of a small digital system that offered genuine wide angle capabilities, and that inevitably means interchangable lenses....so I would probably have looong fondle of the X100 in a shop but inevitably take the m4/3 route or if I had more cash a used M8 + used CV lenses.

Old 03-09-2011   #29
Roger Hicks

Quote:
It's not a matter of my weight and fitness Roger (although most of us can improve). In some situations one is already burdened with other necessities, "tools of trade", etc, and every gram counts. In my bushwalking days we had a saying - take care of the ounces and the pounds will take care of themselves. I often photograph in places that require a decent walk to get to, in conditions that demand that food, protective clothing, water, map/gps/compass, first-aid kit, etc be carried. Throw in the odd aches due to old injuries and a concern for the weight of the kit becomes not second nature, but an imperative that demands attention! And in other situations where photography is not the prime reason for the outing, a heavy camera is an unnecessary burden. Where I want good results and I can, I'll take the Hasselblad. Everything else is a compromise, to differing degrees along the spectrum.
Dear Chris,

Of course you are absolutely right, but equally, I am amused sometimes at how readily people ignore the point I made. Often, the more they weigh, the more willing they are to ignore it.

Cheers,

R.

Old 03-09-2011   #30
kbg32
neo-romanticist

This camera, and all it's posts everywhere on the net, represents social media at the top of its game. I don't believe, sometimes, that this camera even exists!

http://keithgoldstein.me/
Keith’s Gallery

Last edited by kbg32 : 03-09-2011 at 03:03.

Old 03-09-2011   #31
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriturii View Post
Ridiculous... you don't want the camera so anyone else who wants it is materialistic and a fool? Nonsense. I'm sick of morality judgements on camera / photo sites. People can use their money as they see fit.

Old 03-09-2011   #32
sper
-

I made a promise to myself to stop buying things on credit so I'm saving for one. But as soon as I hit my savings goal oh man you know I'm placing that order.

I want this camera so bad! Too bad they didn't make an option in black paint.

Old 03-09-2011   #33
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Ridiculous... you don't want the camera so anyone else who wants it is materialistic and a fool? Nonsense. I'm sick of morality judgements on camera / photo sites. People can use their money as they see fit.
I physically could not agree more.

Old 03-09-2011   #34
GSNfan
-

No. I like the camera but I'm not sold on the sensor. I also have no project in mind where I can use it, so I'll wait for X200 with Nikon D7000 sensor.

Old 03-09-2011   #35
skibeerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriturii

JsRockit

Skibeerr
Just one word "ignore".

W

Old 03-09-2011   #36
willie_901

I have been waiting patiently for a non-Leica digital camera designed with full manual use in mind that I can hold up to my eye to compose a photograph.External finders don't count for me because I'm feel the camera shouldn't require one. With digital cameras external finders are just an expensive tax to accommodate the vendor's refusal to do the job right in the first place.

I tried a G1 & 20/1.7 but the current performance level of the small sensor and the lack of analog controls soured me on a micro 4/3 solution. So I sold my micro 4/3 kit and started lugging my D200 around with a small prime – and waited for something like the X100 to appear.

The RD-1 would ideal, but I'm vain enough to occasionally make a 12 X 18 or even larger print so the RD-1's sensor is a deal killer. Otherwise I would have bought two RD-1s.

The X100 is just a APS-C sensor based camera fit my needs… nothing more. My first rangefinder was a Canonet QL-17. I then upgraded to a ZI-M with the 35/2 Biogon. I carried both cameras with me where ever I went. The X100 is simply a digital replacement for these cameras.

As far as film goes, I still use film for one of my projects, but when I run out of film that project ends. I would still own the ZI-M except that where I live smart phones are slowly, but surely, killing off color film development availability. I am disappointed with myself as I do not have the interest, time or dedication to film (character) to develop Tri-X in a timely fashion. This is my deficiency, not film's.

I decided to accept the inevitable and embrace digital photography. Due to my vanity, laziness, lack of self-discipline and irrational disgust with all things Leica, I look forward to using X100. Fuji finally provided a tool that meets my every day needs.

When a better tool comes along, I will buy that one too. I really don't care about the cost… life is short.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 03-09-2011   #37
MIkhail

I am getting one because I sold my Canon DSLR system (almost all of it) and still need a digital for kids, friends and neighbor's pictures and occasions when film is either too expensive or time consuming or else. Was thinking of NEX but the ergonomics are ridiculous.
So I figure- might as well get this one, it looks nice and gives me enough quality and good color so what the hell. Still have M6 for black and white.

Old 03-09-2011   #38
Darshan

No X100 for me, I am perfectly happy with my current machines.

my flickr
RFF feedback

Old 03-09-2011   #39
wjlapier

Yes. I like what I see in form and function--I'm imagining how it will function. Images thus far are fine to me. AF speed isn't the deal breaker, but I'd like to know for myself how it compares to the GF1/20/1.7--which I consider fast enough.

Old 03-09-2011   #40
dof
Fiat Lux

I am attracted to this camera - I think it's the best design concept any manufacturer has come up with in a long time, but I simply don't need one. I certainly hope that the camera lives up to all my thoughts of what it might be.

If 35mm (equivalent) were my go-to focal length, it might be another story. However for today, my savings account is safe from harm!