Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

An Evening With Daido Moriyama
Old 08-15-2012   #1
fstops
-

An Evening With Daido Moriyama

An interesting interview with Daido Moriyama.

The two most interesting bits as far as gear is concerned, he dislikes Ricoh digital cameras and instead he has an upcoming color book that he has shot using a Nikon digital camera, which camera he does not say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-4IDecok5c

Old 08-15-2012   #2
petronius

Thank you for the link!

My Rollei 35 tumblr

Old 08-15-2012   #3
jsrockit

Ah yes, I went to this. The Ricoh fanboys were going nuts.

Old 02-26-2013   #4
chdiliproy

FWIW, he apparently uses a Nikon S9100:

http://filmphotographyschool.com/wha...-moriyama-use/

Old 02-26-2013   #5
shiro_kuro
Charles Bowen

Enjoyed the interview

Though he did not say he disliked Ricoh ... more to the point that there are so many different models to choose from and that there is no perfect camera and that he likes to try different cameras ... He has been using Nikon for the past 6 months for his new digital color book ... wonders why camera makers cannot make the perfect camera that suits his needs .... anyway that's my translation of the conversation ; )

Thanks for sharing

Old 02-26-2013   #6
helenhill
mod chasing light

Yep, thats What I heard as well Charles....
Daido plainly stated there is still as of yet No perfect camera
Lots of ricohs to chose from
And at present working on a colour series w/ a nikon

He did look a Tad tired at the closing of the Interview...
Bless Him
Such a Gentle soul

Does anyone know if The Klein/ Moriyama show at The Tate
Will come to NYC ??!

Old 02-26-2013   #7
[email protected]

dang...i got confused with araki and was half hoping naked women would appear...hahahahah...sorry... daido is the more serious one, with hair...

Old 02-27-2013   #8
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post

Will come to NYC ??!
Oh god I hope so...

Old 02-27-2013   #9
Biggles
My cup runneth amok.

Quote:
Will come to NYC ??!
Who do I have to (insert violent, vulgar, or politically-incorrect verb here) for that to happen?

Old 02-27-2013   #10
nightfly

I don't know if there are any plans to bring it to NY but I made a special trip to London to see it and it was an awesome show. I thought it was much better on Klein than on Moriyama (the huge Klein wall size blow ups were incredible). The Moriyama stuff was less edited and suffered for it I thought. But I've seen a lot of Moriyama and next to no Klein in person besides the stuff hanging on the walls at Gotham Bar and Grill.

But man I hope it comes to NY. Would take a lot of space.

Old 02-27-2013   #11
upceci
-

While Klein has inspired many including Moriyama, at the same time Moriyama is light years ahead of Klein, both in terms of body of work as well as the pure aesthetic and conceptual quality of work... In fact its unfair to have any other photographer exhibit alongside Moriyama, especially those senior to him.

Old 02-27-2013   #12
btgc

Interesting move away from GRD, avoiding GXR, too. Not that I really worry what Moriyama uses, as he certainly depends on his vision not camera.

Old 02-27-2013   #13
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by upceci View Post
While Klein has inspired many including Moriyama, at the same time Moriyama is light years ahead of Klein, both in terms of body of work as well as the pure aesthetic and conceptual quality of work... In fact its unfair to have any other photographer exhibit alongside Moriyama, especially those senior to him.
I wouldn't diminish the importance of Klein's effect on Moriyama. Without Klein's book from 55, Moriyama's aesthetic may not have existed.

Old 02-27-2013   #14
upceci
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I wouldn't diminish the importance of Klein's effect on Moriyama. Without Klein's book from 55, Moriyama's aesthetic may not have existed.
Actually Weegee is the original genius who's look and subject approach inspired Klein and through Klein Moriyama.

Old 02-27-2013   #15
nightfly

If you see the show, I think Klein comes off very well in comparison. Although to be fair, I think much of this is due to the curation.

It errored on the side of being too completest about Moriyama and shows a lot of inferior work that reduces his impact. Also relied heavily on photobooks in cases which were more difficult to appreciate (although impressive as they had all the very rare early Japanese photo mags courtesy of Martin Parr's personal colletion).

Klein in comparison had an entire room of wall size photos which were incredible along with some video work and more experimental abstract photos. Also every page from the 1955 book laid out.

Moriyama's work ended up to me coming up actually as more derivative and personal whereas Klein's felt more epic and substantial. Again I'm a big fan of both and wouldn't necessarily have said this but this was the effect the show had. My wife who I drag to inumerable photo shows but who doesn't have strong predispositions to anyone came away with a similar impression.

Klein benefited from having a much more graphic design oriented approach which played well in this show.

The very obvious connection between Klein's 54-55 New York and Daidos 1971 New York wasn't made explicit but was certainly strongly implied.

Do hope it comes to NY so more people will get a chance to check it out. Certainly one of the best photography shows I've ever seen. Would see it several more times if it were here.

Old 02-27-2013   #16
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
dang...i got confused with araki and was half hoping naked women would appear...hahahahah...sorry... daido is the more serious one, with hair...
Hahaha...
That's funny.
Two very different men (or as Helen mentioned it, souls).

I have way more respect for one than the other. Even if he happens to not like Ricoh GRD

Old 02-27-2013   #17
nightfly

While I do think Daido's latest color work is much improved (his old color stuff was really pretty crappy) I sort of question switching from one point and shoot to another. I wouldn't think the images from a Nikon 9100 would be all that different from a GRD. They might share the same sensor for all I know.

Maybe he just felt the need to shake things up for an artistic reason and break out of the familiar or perhaps Nikon is paying him. The ability to zoom might be more important in color to fliter out visual clutter although Moriyama's photos are often about visual clutter so who knows.

Old 02-27-2013   #18
jsrockit

Quote:
Actually Weegee is the original genius who's look and subject approach inspired Klein and through Klein Moriyama.
I can see that... but Klein certainly took the grainy blurry slow shutter speed look a lot further than Weegee did. That look is now synonymous with Daido Moriyama (who has said Klein's book had a huge impact on him along with Warhol).

Old 02-27-2013   #19
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly View Post
While I do think Daido's latest color work is much improved (his old color stuff was really pretty crappy) I sort of question switching from one point and shoot to another. I wouldn't think the images from a Nikon 9100 would be all that different from a GRD. They might share the same sensor for all I know.
Probably got it for free.... that seems to be how he chooses cameras from what I understand.

Old 02-27-2013   #20
nightfly

Not a bad system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Probably got it for free.... that seems to be how he chooses cameras from what I understand.

Old 03-01-2013   #21
upceci
-

Quote:
Daido plainly stated there is still as of yet No perfect camera
I'd say all cameras are perfect, its just that there are no perfect photographers.

Old 03-01-2013   #22
helenhill
mod chasing light

Quote:
I'd say all cameras are perfect, its just that there are no perfect photographers.
Ha, I guess I will
Have to Agree...
Its never really the camera/lens Fault...its usually Moi

A Great Photographer is able to Push the Boundaries
Of his Tool
Perfection is ever a Fleeting Moment
even the Best of the Photographers
can Have their Mishaps
But then to Me
Sometimes there is More Beauty
In Imperfection

Old 03-01-2013   #23
upceci
-

Quote:
Ha, I guess I will
Have to Agree...
Its never really the camera/lens Fault...its usually Moi

A Great Photographer is able to Push the Boundaries
Of his Tool
Perfection is ever a Fleeting Moment
even the Best of the Photographers
can Have their Mishaps
But then to Me
Sometimes there is More Beauty
In Imperfection
Gear bashing itself is a bit of cliche these days in photography circles, and one cannot blame people for escaping into gearography because photography itself has become too common and as a result inconsequential, but there are certain things in life that makes no sense and one should avoid those irrespective of trends and cliches, trying to be a better photographer by gear obsession is one of those things, especially when every gear obsessed photographer knows deep down that their gear chasing is not only helpful but perhaps the biggest obstacle in the path of them ever making good photography work.

Old 03-03-2013   #24
Archiver

In an interview, Moriyama claims to have never bought a camera for himself. All the cameras he uses have been given to him. He loves compact cameras for their convenience and fluid style of shooting. The documentary about him shows how he strolls around, aiming a Ricoh GR at something but not even using the viewfinder.

I love his work. It sounds like he's had a hard life as well, some issues with alcohol and other substances, not to mention being poor, but he's clean now and still working. His book 'Memories of a Dog' is superb, and describes his attempts to use photography to capture his life, and recapture memories from his past. I get the feeling that a reasonable amount of his work involves going to old childhood haunts and exploring places he once knew.