Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Nikon D200
Old 11-01-2005   #1
Nikon Bob

Nikon D200

Looks like I will be going digital with the announcement of the Nikon D200 today. They have finally put an ai metering tab on a non pro body allowing me to use my old ai lenses and get metering. There is still a crop factor but for my teles I can live with it. Time to dust off my 18/F4 for wide angle stuff. It is a very good move in restoring backward compatibility to their line and I will stop grinding my axe against them. I guess if you wait long enough you get some of what you want. This is not really an RF type thread but the subject of backward compatibility has come up on several recent threads here.

Bob

Old 11-01-2005   #2
chug
I wear pants

It looks tres sexy too.. Will be doing my best to save up the 3 grand needed to buy it here :P

My FlickR site.
Photos

Old 11-02-2005   #3
back alley
IMAGES

will you be staying with rf cams also or just solo digital?

Old 11-02-2005   #4
ch1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon Bob
Looks like I will be going digital with the announcement of the Nikon D200 today. They have finally put an ai metering tab on a non pro body allowing me to use my old ai lenses and get metering. There is still a crop factor but for my teles I can live with it. Time to dust off my 18/F4 for wide angle stuff. It is a very good move in restoring backward compatibility to their line and I will stop grinding my axe against them. I guess if you wait long enough you get some of what you want. This is not really an RF type thread but the subject of backward compatibility has come up on several recent threads here.

Bob
Oh no - I feel a read bad case of GAS coming on!

Well, on the bright side,, the price of used Nikkor ai AF's just firmed up!

Old 11-02-2005   #5
kbg32
neo-romanticist

Quote:

Bob

Unless I missing it, I re-read the D200 description and features many times over
and I don't see anything about an "AI metering tab". I don't see one on the body either.

From the camera description - "Compatible with Nikonís digital-exclusive DX Nikkor lenses as well as Nikonís 35mm/digital compatible AF Nikkor System."

http://keithgoldstein.me/
Keithís Gallery

Last edited by kbg32 : 11-02-2005 at 07:28.

Old 11-02-2005   #6
zuikologist

There has been some debate on some of the digital forums about whether there would be stampede to the D200 from the other DSLR brands. I am sure it is an excellent tool, but $3k (maybe $2.5k in a few months time) still seems a very steep price, plus the cost of Nikon lenses etc.

Old 11-02-2005   #7
Benjamin Marks

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuikologist
There has been some debate on some of the digital forums about whether there would be stampede to the D200 from the other DSLR brands. I am sure it is an excellent tool, but $3k (maybe $2.5k in a few months time) still seems a very steep price, plus the cost of Nikon lenses etc.
??

I have seen $1,600 - $1,700 US. Where is the $3K coming from?

Old 11-02-2005   #8
ZeissFan

It took me a while to find it, but here's what askey says in his preview:

"This is a standard Nikon F lens mount and can use almost the complete range of Nikkor F lenses (although some features are only available with newer type G or type D lenses). As noted in our introduction the D200 also supports the aperture ring found on old AI lenses."

And the accompanying photo does show the little AI tab, although it's difficult to see because he photographed it head on, rather than from a slight angle. Now, Nikon has to add the old metering prong from the pre-AI lenses.

Old 11-02-2005   #9
kbg32
neo-romanticist

From DPReview -

"The D200 is about 100g heavier than the D100 but 240g lighter than the D2X. Best of all is the price, body-only, $1,849 in the US."

Almost half the price of the Canon 5D, but it is not full frame.

Keithís Gallery

Old 11-02-2005   #10
rardinger

FYIW, From Nikon USA Press Release:

"The D200 will be available in late December 2005 for an estimated selling price of $1699.95***. For more information, please visit http://www.nikondigital.com . "

That is the price a few on-line sellers are taking orders at.

It looks to be a very good camera. Will be interesting to see the usual on-line tests coming out in a short while. I use Nikons for my SLR type photography and am essentially all digital for that work so will likely be adding this camera to my "kit" early next year, essentially finally replacing an older film body I had been using as a "not too needed" back-up camera. The D100 will now, after 3 years of great service, occupy that role. Still would be interested in a Digital RF camera but for now the RF part of my set is all film based.

Old 11-02-2005   #11
kbg32
neo-romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeissFan
It took me a while to find it, but here's what askey says in his preview:

"This is a standard Nikon F lens mount and can use almost the complete range of Nikkor F lenses (although some features are only available with newer type G or type D lenses). As noted in our introduction the D200 also supports the aperture ring found on old AI lenses."

And the accompanying photo does show the little AI tab, although it's difficult to see because he photographed it head on, rather than from a slight angle. Now, Nikon has to add the old metering prong from the pre-AI lenses.

Ah yes, there it is. Quite a noteable feature!

Keithís Gallery

Old 11-02-2005   #12
Nikon Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuikologist
Well, I guess the list price is more like $1600/$1800 not $2.5/$3K and if you have a cupboard full of old ai Nikkor lenses that now become usable at a fairly reasonable price that would mean you do not have to immediately by new lenses. That is the spot I am in with a fair amount of older glass. The RF alternative to get into digital is much more expensive with too many QC problems for my taste and any other future alternatives such as the Leica M will be even more expensive. I do not need a super build quality on a DSLR that in 5 years time will be none repairable and a paper weight.

Bob

Old 11-02-2005   #13
Nikon Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley
will you be staying with rf cams also or just solo digital?
I could not say for sure until/if I get the D200 and get alot of experience with it. OTH what is wrong with running two systems. They would seem to compliment each other by giving the user features not available in the other.

Bob

Old 11-02-2005   #14
ch1

Quote:
I could not say for sure until/if I get the D200 and get alot of experience with it. OTH what is wrong with running two systems. They would seem to compliment each other by giving the user features not available in the other.

Bob
Or even six systems! Here I run:

Film-based:
RF manual
SLR manual
SLR AF
P&S

Digital:
DSLR
P&S

Hardest thing is trying to keep track of which is where as we divide time among three residences!!!!!

Old 11-02-2005   #15
jlw
Rangefinder camera pedant

Well, I'm not so sure. On the one hand, it seems like a very strong upgrade to the D100, and I've already got a D100 and a reasonable complement of lenses.

On the other hand, it's... well, it's an SLR. Bleah. I almost never take out the D100 if I can help it. In any digital situation where I could either use the D100 or the Epson R-D 1, I always pick the R-D 1. I suspect I subconsciously tend to avoid situations where I'd have to use the D100. Even with more megapixels and a magnesium body, I don't see why I'd feel much different about the D200.

The projected $1,700-ish price isn't bad... but I'd have to keep in mind that $1,700 in my pocket would get me that much closer to a future Digital M, or Epson R-D 1 successor, or whatever other next digital RF turns out to be a reality.

So rather than spending money to replace one DSLR I don't like to use with another DSLR I won't like to use, maybe it makes more sense to hang onto the one I've got and hold out for what I really want, which is another DRF that I will like to use...

Last edited by jlw : 11-02-2005 at 13:23.

Old 11-02-2005   #16
Nikon Bob

jlw

I have no problem using a RF system or an SLR type system and am comfortable in both. If your personal preference is for a RF system then you should wait for what is down the pike. I will not spend $3k to $5k for a digital anything or I would have had a Nikon pro digital body by now.

Bob

Old 11-02-2005   #17
Fred
Feline Great

I prefer to use an RF when I'm out and about, far less obtrusive and people look at you like your an old Noddy or something prefering themselves to use the new shiny silver pixel pushers.

Walking around with an SLR gets you noticed these days whch can work for and against you, you may loose that natural expression of someone performing in the street (juggler etc) but you will get the shot without being bumped into as much using the SLR.

As for the D200? It has a large VF with .9 ish magnification with nearly 20 mm eye relief wich puts it closer to the full frame view in real terms of the Canon 5D and much larger than some other DSLRs that are around the .7 mark. For portrait shoots I could be tempted. However I already have a D70 (.7) and would like a new 75 cron. Interesting choice? I'll carry on saving a while longer.
My Gallery
Usin up the future

Old 11-02-2005   #18
thpook
Squawkbox Delux

Looking at it, all I can say is that it looks like the digital F100 I've desired since I used one a while back. The F100 is the only camera Nikon makes that I felt as comfortable with as my F4s. I've got too many big purchases coming down the pike (Leica CL body tomorrow, flatbed scanner for my MF stuff, CLA/Bellows replacement/RF adjust on my new Agfa Isolette III, and finally a Pentax 67 or a RB/RZ67 kit for my trip to Norway) but after that, I'll probably start saving up for one as I do like using SLR's now and again.
Black Konica Hexar AF, Leica M2 with a C/V 1.7/35, Leitz Elmar 2.8/50, KH 2.8/90, Kowa 6, Bronica ETR, Canon Powershot Pro1, Nikon F4s with a 50mm 1.8/50, Ricoh GR-D, Fuji Finepix S2 with a 24-120 3.5-5.6 G VR

Old 11-02-2005   #19
zuikologist

Sorry - I am quoting UK prices. UK, on-line discounted prices are about $2.5k.

Old 11-02-2005   #20
Kin Lau

Quote:

Bob
Compact RF on a wrist strap or coat pocket, binocular harness across the back, 350D/XT off the left shoulder.

I do that all the time.

Old 11-02-2005   #21
Nikon Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Lau
Compact RF on a wrist strap or coat pocket, binocular harness across the back, 350D/XT off the left shoulder.

I do that all the time.
You are kidding, right.

Bob

Old 11-02-2005   #22
ywenz

Quote:

Bob
I do the Leica + Canon DSLR thing... They're definitely mutually exclusive. My backpack contains: Leica M6, Yashica Mat 124G, Canon 20D.. yeah, I'm bad at commitments.

Old 11-02-2005   #23
Kin Lau

Quote:
You are kidding, right.

Bob
Nope. It's usually a 400/5.6 attached to the 350D too, so a Oly XA or Bessa R or Leica IIIa works well for scenic shots and the dslr for the wildlife.

Before the Oly XA/Bessa/Leica, I would carry a EOS 650 (film) + Sigma 15-30 ... I still do sometimes, if I want the ultra-wide.

Old 11-03-2005   #24
RJBender
RFF Sponsoring Member

Thanks for the heads up, Bob. I was planning on buying a Canon 20D with adapters for using my AI and AIS lenses. This is a much better alternative.

R.J.