Hexar infinity focus issues?
Old 03-13-2013   #1
van_d

Hexar infinity focus issues?

I was curious if anybody else has reported issues with the Hexar when focusing to infinity?

I recently decided to take a stroll in the North Saskatchewan River Valley, to take some nature and urban landscape instead of my usual street photography. A lot of photos, particularly of buildings and landscapes, were obviously (supposed to be) focused to infinity.

I've never had this issue in the past with the Hexar, but I'm getting around to scanning the roll and it seems like a handful of times, it just misses focus and the photo is slightly out of focus. But then, others are crystal clear. Some I know were due to it being darker, with tree cover, so it was likely camera shake. But there was one, of the city skyline, clear shot, and it's slightly out of focus.

I know that the Hexar, if it has to choose, has a bias for focusing closer (usually where the people are), but there was no obstruction in some of these photos. It was a clear shot to infinity focus.

On a side note, I'm no stranger to this issue, my Nikon F90 often will autofocus just before infinity, and I have to manually nudge it slightly. Of course, it's easier to tell if you need to adjust because the viewfinder will "pop" into focus.

My Blog
Flickr

Old 03-13-2013   #2
filmfan

If there is some fog or mist in the air, the Hexar will focus on it and not infinity-- and the North Saskatchewan River Valley sounds foggy to me.
Canon 5DII w/ EF 50mm f1.8

Old 03-13-2013   #3
van_d

It's not usually foggy, actually. And if it is, its usually in the morning, not the afternoon, when I went. It was an overcast day, though. But it was still fairly bright.

My Blog
Flickr

Old 03-15-2013   #4
van_d

Anyone else experience this issue?

My Blog
Flickr