Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Transplanting leather on Voightlander camera
Old 03-15-2018   #1
dmitrizzle

Transplanting leather on Voightlander camera

I have two Vitessa L cameras, both are over sixty years old. One of them is a donor, the other is what I use. The donor has fresher leather on the barn doors and I'm thinking of switching the leather around.

How difficult is it to remove leather on those cameras without damaging and having it re-useable? What's the method for that?

Also, what's the best way to get the leather fastened to the new body?

Thank you, guys!!

Old 03-15-2018   #2
daveleo
what?

Go to a site that sells cut to size leather and read their instructions.

Old 03-15-2018   #3
nhchen
Nathan

I’ve succrssfully removed the leather on a Contax II in order to get rid of the Zeiss bumps. I just softened the leather by putting a wet towel over it for a while then carefully peeled/scraped it off the camera. To glue it back I used some contact cement.
Regards
Nathan

Old 03-15-2018   #4
dmitrizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhchen View Post
Iíve succrssfully removed the leather on a Contax II in order to get rid of the Zeiss bumps. I just softened the leather by putting a wet towel over it for a while then carefully peeled/scraped it off the camera. To glue it back I used some contact cement.
Regards
Nathan
Thank you. Have you had any issues with the leather stretching/changing shape when you peeled it? Since I would be completely removing it and placing it on a different camera.

Oh and would you say it was a tedious task? Wondering how much am I getting myself into...

Old 03-15-2018   #5
nhchen
Nathan

No it’s not too difficult once the leather softens. I did find it shrank/shrunk(?) a little but the leather on the contax had a little give in it so I could stretch it back when gluing it back on.
Nathan

Old 03-20-2018   #6
jgrainger

I've removed a few bits of camera leather before, to access screws. Depending on the age, there's a fair probability it's held on with shellac.

Shellac does dissolve in alcohol (for mixing from flakes) or with heat (also avoid) but don't do those to remove it or it'll be damaged.

The suggestion of a damp towel seems as good as any. So far I've used things to get underneath then work my way along trying not to distort or bend in a localised area, avoid using narrow things or applying pressure to a small area as the leather will be damaged from the tool.

Jonathan