M2 + 7Artisans 35/2 test shots
Old 12-28-2018   #1
Dennis.Carlson
Expect Grain
 
Dennis.Carlson is offline
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: LA, CA
Posts: 61
M2 + 7Artisans 35/2 test shots

I shot an event I went to (triX 400). This is Ray Barbee a well known legendary skateboarder who also is big in with Leica and has some small docs and articles presented from the company themselves.

Shot this inside mostly wide open at about 1/30 to test sharpness. IM IMPRESSED!

So much so that I was going to sell it and keep my nokton 35 1.4 but I will most likely keep it.

I didnt really get a chance to test lens outside with the known flare issues yet, but in ideal circumstances (not shooting directly into the sun etc) I see this lens holding up fine! if your on the fence about it, I would recommend trying it. Worst case scenario you can get another lens and have this $200-300 lens as a backup.

Tech details:
- Scanned with a epson V550 at 1000DPI to TIFF and exported as JPG
- Cleaned up hairs and scratches in PS with a little bit of curve modification to get tones how I like
- Uploaded to flikr and using the 800px version to post here





__________________
Photo blog
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2018   #2
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 8,102
Are horizontal lines curved in real or it is lens?
I'm more set for Nokt 35 1.4 as backup... It will also make distortions, but it is 35 1.4 and not any bigger than 7A 35/2 (if I'm not mistaken).
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2018   #3
Dennis.Carlson
Expect Grain
 
Dennis.Carlson is offline
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: LA, CA
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Are horizontal lines curved in real or it is lens?
I'm more set for Nokt 35 1.4 as backup... It will also make distortions, but it is 35 1.4 and not any bigger than 7A 35/2 (if I'm not mistaken).
Correct, they are about the same size.

Distortion is pretty bad but what do you expect for a lens 1/100th the price of a leica lens lol
__________________
Photo blog
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2018   #4
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is online now
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 8,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.Carlson View Post

Distortion is pretty bad but what do you expect for a lens 1/100th the price of a leica lens lol
Thing is in these pics I didn't pay any attention to that because I was looking at the subject matter, not lines in the background.

So.. don't use this lens for architectural shots! But for people etc it is just fine.
Think of this as a rough and tumble street photography/documentarian lens. Use it, abuse it, because it doesn't matter if something happens as it is cheaper than just a lens cap for a Leica. Slap it on the cheapest, roughest M mount body u can find and you're set.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2018   #5
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!
 
SolaresLarrave's Avatar
 
SolaresLarrave is offline
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: DeKalb, IL, USA
Age: 60
Posts: 7,499
Thanks for posting these photos! They'll make for useful reference.
__________________
-Francisco
Check out
My Leica M4-2 Blog and/or
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2018   #6
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 8,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.Carlson View Post
Correct, they are about the same size.

Distortion is pretty bad but what do you expect for a lens 1/100th the price of a leica lens lol
If we operate in new to new it is 1/11 not 1/100.
Jupiter-12 is available as 1/100, but it is not new and it doesn't have distortions of my purchased new Leica 35 2.5 ASPH at 1/2 price ratio to Leica 35 2 ASPH new lens. .
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2018   #7
Dennis.Carlson
Expect Grain
 
Dennis.Carlson is offline
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: LA, CA
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
If we operate in new to new it is 1/11 not 1/100.
Jupiter-12 is available as 1/100, but it is not new and it doesn't have distortions of my purchased new Leica 35 2.5 ASPH at 1/2 price ratio to Leica 35 2 ASPH new lens. .
Yes, that was more sarcasm I don't know what current new lenses are going for.

@Huss, thanks that is what Im thinking too. For quick snap shots and people it works great. Use it and abuse it. Don't worry about babying it as you would something a bit more valuable.
__________________
Photo blog
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2019   #8
bhop73
Registered User
 
bhop73's Avatar
 
bhop73 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 724
Ray Barbee!! Nice.
__________________
my flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bhop73/
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2019   #9
Swift1
Registered User
 
Swift1's Avatar
 
Swift1 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Talent, Oregon.
Posts: 2,024
This lens looks really interesting. Everything I have seen and read says it's really quite good, especially for the price. I would probably have one already but for the barrel distortion, and I could probably live with the distortion and/or just correct for it after scanning.
Thanks for sharing your images from it.
__________________
Colton

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2019   #10
Daan
Registered User
 
Daan's Avatar
 
Daan is offline
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 95
I quite like my artisan 35mm. The last 7 years or so i shot a 35mm skopar. A fine lens and a little bit more predictable but not F2. Still not sure which one i prefer.

With the 7artisans:



  Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2019   #11
DanskDynamit
Registered User
 
DanskDynamit's Avatar
 
DanskDynamit is offline
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 454
I dont like this lens at all. Distortion, flares easily, unsharp and "lomo look" on color photos. If I wanted to shoot a lomo, I would shoot with a LC-A, it might even be sharper!.
By the way, I believe flickr adds sharpening to the photos.
__________________
DanskDynamit
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2019   #12
Daan
Registered User
 
Daan's Avatar
 
Daan is offline
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 95
I guess i have low standards, for me these photos are plenty sharp,
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2019   #13
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is online now
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 8,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanskDynamit View Post
I dont like this lens at all. Distortion, flares easily, unsharp and "lomo look" on color photos. If I wanted to shoot a lomo, I would shoot with a LC-A, it might even be sharper!.
By the way, I believe flickr adds sharpening to the photos.
Yeah, No!


It flares easily - so do most my Leica lenses including my 35 Asph and 50 Lux.
It does have distortion, so maybe not an architectural lens.
It is very sharp.
Lomo LC-A is more expensive..

I agree, flickr does add some weird sharpening that makes pics look worse.

Here's a review of it on a Leica M10

https://neue.pink/7artisans35mmf2review

pics look very nice to me.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2019   #14
Archlich
Registered User
 
Archlich is offline
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanskDynamit View Post
I dont like this lens at all. Distortion, flares easily, unsharp and "lomo look" on color photos. If I wanted to shoot a lomo, I would shoot with a LC-A, it might even be sharper!.
By the way, I believe flickr adds sharpening to the photos.
Interesting as all these "characteristics" except the distortion are exactly why people would pay $2595 for the new Summaron-M 28/5.6...
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2019   #15
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,573
I would not make it as if we have only two options; &Artisans or Leica. There are many other brands that offer wonderful lenses. Take the popular 35mm focal length lens, as an example. I have a Leica Summaron 35/3.5 and a Summicron 35/2, plus a Canon 35/1.5, 35/1.8, 35/2, 35/2.8. I also have a Zeiss 35/2 M. When 7artisans came out witht he 50/1.1, I bought it just to try it out. I don't need a fast 50mm lens like that. I already had the Canon 50/1.2 and the Nikon 50/1.4 and CV 50/1.1 anyways. Now I am "7artisans saturated", so to speak, and I will not get another lens from them.
__________________
- Raid
________________

http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2019   #16
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is online now
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 8,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
When 7artisans came out witht he 50/1.1, I bought it just to try it out. I don't need a fast 50mm lens like that. I already had the Canon 50/1.2 and the Nikon 50/1.4 and CV 50/1.1 anyways. Now I am "7artisans saturated", so to speak, and I will not get another lens from them.
How many 7A lenses do u have to cause this saturation?
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2019   #17
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,573
One
It is sufficient in my case to let me know that having one such lens is enough for me, Huss. I don't need another lens. This includes 7artisans lenses.
__________________
- Raid
________________

http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2019   #18
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is online now
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 8,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
One
It is sufficient in my case to let me know that having one such lens is enough for me, Huss. I don't need another lens. This includes 7artisans lenses.
I have, umm, quite a few 35mm lenses and started to whittle them down when insold my cv 35 2.5
But then i just bought this 7A 35 cuz it was as new for $190.. A replacement lens cap for my 35 Asph costs more! I’ll play w it for a bit and see how
it goes. Thinking of using it as a ‘beater’ lens on my beater M4-2!
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2019   #19
shane_goguen
Registered User
 
shane_goguen's Avatar
 
shane_goguen is offline
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, Oregon
Age: 40
Posts: 84
Great images, thanks for sharing!
__________________
Website
Instagram
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2019   #20
DanskDynamit
Registered User
 
DanskDynamit's Avatar
 
DanskDynamit is offline
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
Interesting as all these "characteristics" except the distortion are exactly why people would pay $2595 for the new Summaron-M 28/5.6...
to each its own.
__________________
DanskDynamit
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2019   #21
DanskDynamit
Registered User
 
DanskDynamit's Avatar
 
DanskDynamit is offline
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Yeah, No!
It flares easily - so do most my Leica lenses including my 35 Asph and 50 Lux.
It does have distortion, so maybe not an architectural lens.
It is very sharp.
Lomo LC-A is more expensive..

I agree, Flickr does add some weird sharpening that makes pics look worse.

Here's a review of it on a Leica M10

https://neue.pink/7artisans35mmf2review

pics look very nice to me.
In my personal opinion, the 7A does flare a lot more than my few Leica lenses (Summaron 2.8 and Summicron 50 V), it even flares more than my Canon ltm 50 1.4. I don't like flare in my photos.
Distortion is very very noticeable, and I don't like it.
For the price of the 7A you could buy 2 LC-A cameras and get them CLAd by Roger Lean in England and still have a few kroners for film.
In your review, the photos are plenty sharp and color is just right (to my eyes at least) maybe I have tried a bad copy among with so many others on Flickr and forums but its difficult to tell on other people's photos as you never know which adjustments they did to their photos.
mvh
__________________
DanskDynamit
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2019   #22
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 8,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanskDynamit View Post
In my personal opinion, the 7A does flare a lot more than my few Leica lenses (Summaron 2.8 and Summicron 50 V), it even flares more than my Canon ltm 50 1.4. I don't like flare in my photos.
Distortion is very very noticeable, and I don't like it.
For the price of the 7A you could buy 2 LC-A cameras and get them CLAd by Roger Lean in England and still have a few kroners for film.
In your review, the photos are plenty sharp and color is just right (to my eyes at least) maybe I have tried a bad copy among with so many others on Flickr and forums but its difficult to tell on other people's photos as you never know which adjustments they did to their photos.
mvh
Huss already has bitter Minitar-1 on his bitter M4-2.
Wait, better, no - beater. Excuse me, bitte.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2019   #23
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is online now
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 8,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Huss already has bitter Minitar-1 on his bitter M4-2.
Wait, better, no - beater. Excuse me, bitte.
Who would waste a gem of a lens like that on a crappy beat up Leica?
Put it where it's full glory will shine! On a 47mp state of the art Z7!





In other news, I just picked up a 7A 35 f2 for less than the lens hood for the Leica 35mm Cron Asph. I will check the focus on my M240 (thank you LiveView!), adjust if necessary, and use it on my stanky M4-2. And of course Z7.
(Initial impression - the focus is very smooth - smoother than my M mount Voigtlander and Zeiss lenses - and the aperture clicks nicely)
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2019   #24
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 8,102
I miss your film pictures, Huss. Especially those with Minitar-1 on film. Most of them are gone now. It will be interesting to see your pictures with 35/2 7A on film.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2019   #25
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is online now
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 8,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
I miss your film pictures, Huss. Especially those with Minitar-1 on film. Most of them are gone now. It will be interesting to see your pictures with 35/2 7A on film.
Thanks Kostya, when photobucket decided to no longer allow linking I removed them. But there are a whole bunch of my film pics via Flickr in the scanning with a digicam thread .

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...=161028&page=9

I'm interested to see how the 7A 35 shapes up. The price is ridiculously cheap for a new M mount lens. And I really like their 50 1.1.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2019   #26
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is online now
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 8,852
Just posted shots from my first roll with the 7A 35mm lens.
I really like this lens, what an incredible deal for M mount users.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2019   #27
Toastybunzz
Registered User
 
Toastybunzz is offline
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 16
It really is a nice lens, even not counting in the price. I've shot it 99% on film and some on digital and it really is a very sharp high resolution lens. Rendering wise, it's kind of low contrast, which is why some people don't like it on color neg. It doesn't have a ton of (I hate saying this term) micro contrast compared to a Zeiss or Leica lens. I really like the results I've had on contrasty b&w (pushed Tri-X and similar) and slide though. The downsides are it does flare pretty easily (it's a soft veiling flare though) and it has some barrel distortion. Im a film guy and I rarely notice it to be honest.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 22:13.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.